Park Yoochun

Intricate Love

Yoochun’s eyes were beautiful at that night when I looked at him during the slipped. He was looking at me too and I can see there’s sadness in his eyes that made him such a devil but I can feel inside that he’s good. I stood up, let myself go from Yoochun’s arms, and fixed myself. Yoochun sat on the other side of the swing while I took the other side. I can feel the breeze, saw the city lights like stars, and felt the blood rushing through my face.

 

“This is beautiful.” He spoke. “I never seen this kind of beauty since I was a child.”

“Why? You never gone out with your friends during you childhood or teenage years?” I inquisitively asked.

 

He’s back with his silence and gazed from afar. I don’t know what he’s thinking but I don’t want to force him to tell all his emotions or reasons. All I saw from him is loneliness coz his eyes tell everything.

 

“Today is the best day in my entire life.” He abruptly broke the silence.

 

I was curious why he said that in a sudden. Being a businessman is tough too! He can’t relax, enjoy, or bond with his friends because of a enormous responsibilities that he carried.

 

“Why can you say so?” I asked.

“You let me wear and look like a commoner.” He answered.

 

I wondered why he answered like that. I don’t understand how rich people live and think. So, why I should have to bother myself that has nothing to do with me. It’s giving me a headache!

 

“I don’t have friends since I was a child. My father won’t allow me to have friends ‘coz they’ll betray my trust when time comes as what father said. All I did when I was a child was to study.”

“How about your mom? Does she disagree on your father’s thoughts and actions?” I asked.

“My mother died three years after I was born. Then father married another woman and had a child.” He answered.

“So, you have a little brother.”

“Half-brother.” He corrected. “I don’t care about their family.”

 

Yoochun stood up and went out from the swing. He walked back to where we came from and my thoughts were curious. Maybe, I don’t have an answer but this would end tonight. I followed him and saw the waiter gave him a plastic bag. Yoochun gave it to me and I checked that it was the dessert he ordered for take-out. He walked outside and waited for the car to arrive. I don’t want to bother him but he’s alone there waiting so I went to him.

 

“When I was a child, I was like this. I waited father to arrive home from work.” He said.

“Did he arrive?” I asked.

“I don’t know ‘coz I fell asleep every time I waited for him.” He answered.

“I think your father accepted your ‘Welcome Back’.” I said.

“I don’t think so.” He disagreed.

 

I didn’t bother to argue with him on that private matter. Maybe that’s what he feels when he was a child and until now he’s still carrying it. He never let go from the past and his past will always haunt him. I wanted to give an advice but I don’t have a right to do so. I’m not his friend; I’m just a stranger that he met because of my organizer.

 

I looked at the road and saw a car’s headlight. “Maybe, it’s your car that is coming.” I said. He never looked; he kept silent until the car reached from where we stood. The car stopped and the driver’s window went down. The car U-turned, and stopped in front of us.

 

Mario went out from the car and he was nervous. “I’m sorry, sir.” He apologized.

“It’s okay. It’s my fault that I left my phone in the car.” Yoochun replied.

 

Yoochun opened the car’s door and he invited me in. I looked at him but his face was empty, no emotions. I went inside and put the plastic bag beside me together with the bouquet. Yoochun went inside, closed the door, and he asked Mario for the phone. Mario gave him his phone and Yoochun checked. I looked at the window; all I can see were streetlights and some dark areas. The atmosphere was blank, no life at all. We never talked and everything was difficult to start for a topic.

 

The silence continued until we reached at my apartment. Yoochun went out from the car and I was starting to get the plastic bag, my shoulder bag, and the bouquet. I went out and he closed the door. The car ran and parked nearby while Yoochun stood and looked at me.

 

“Thank you for taking me home.” I said.

 

He didn’t said a word and I thought that was it so I opened the gate of the apartment and when I was about to close the door, Yoochun hindered it.

 

“Kioko, I’m going back to Manila tomorrow.” He unexpectedly informed me.

“Okay.” I answered. I don’t know what to say. A strange feeling that I don’t want him to go but it’s not my decision, it’s his. I can’t understand myself why I felt strange when he said that. I felt like … I’m going to miss him.

 

He pulled out his hands on the gate and he turned back. The car came and he went inside and I just saw the car ran and faded from my sight. I went inside the apartment, opened my room’s door, put the bouquet and my stuffs on the table and hit the bed. I was tired from work then went with him on my whole afternoon. But, I was bothered when he said that he’s going back home. I wanted to know what time is his flight so I looked at my phone and scanned the message that Mr. Kim sent to me yesterday. And lucky, I haven’t erased it yet. I texted the number and sent the message. A minute passed, Mr. Kim replied.

 

‘Mr. Park Yoochun’s flight to Manila is on 4:30pm.’

 

And then my eyes started to close and fell asleep.

 


 

My phone rang so loud and I tried to search it with my hands only. My eyes were still sleepy so I didn’t know who called me.

 

‘Wake up sleepy head.’

‘Who is this?’

‘What? You didn’t even look at your phone, who was calling with you? It’s Erika!’

‘Okay. So what now?’

‘Wait, are you still asleep? I thought your duty is on 7am.’

‘Yeah, it’s 7am.’

‘It’s already 6:38am, Kioko.’

‘What?!!’

 

I shouted and my senses we’re switch on right away and left the phone on my bed. I looked at the mirror and I don’t have time to take a shower. I changed my uniform, tied my hair, and sprayed the perfume all over my body. I took my bag and ran away for work.

 

I arrived at the lab, 6:55am, and I made it before the shift. I login and went inside the laboratory and Dara was already here. I put my bag on the table and started working. As usual, Dara and I talked while Daesung and Jessica were busy doing all the requests. I told Dara that I wasn’t in the mood to talk about what happened yesterday afternoon so, nothing came out a single word about it from . We just enjoyed our time being together while working.

 

Nothing happened during my shift. No gossips, no issues so far, and no Q and A portion. Everyone was so busy with the work where there were a lot of requests and tests to do.

 

Time flies and my shift ends then that strange feeling went back to my nerves. I was bothered so I looked at the clock and I had an hour and a half before his flight. I took off and threw my lab gown to the table and grabbed my bag. I went outside, logout and I ran fast to the main road. I called for a taxi, went inside, and instructed the driver to drive fast to the airport telling my alibi that I have flight to catch. The driver does what I said and he took the road with less traffic. I was anxious now! I felt that if I can’t say my goodbye to him, I might feel this strange feeling for the rest of my days.

 

I arrived at the airport around 4:31pm due to inevitable traffic. I ran inside and the guards were holding me back. I was too late that I didn’t catch him before his flight so I turned back and walkout. I sat down on a bench near the door until …

 

“Are you here to say goodbye?”

 

I recognized that voice, it was him! I looked back and saw Yoochun, in a suit and wore an eyeglases, together with Mr. Kim.

 

“How could this be?” I murmured.

“Could what?” Yoochun asked.

“I mean you’re still here. I thought your flew a minute ago.”

 

Mr. Kim left Yoochun and he sat down beside me.

 

“How did you know my flight?” he asked.

“I asked… Mr. Kim.” I answered. “And why are you still here?” I asked.

“Our flight is delayed for thirty minutes.”

“And how did you get out from the waiting lobby?” I questioned.

“I bought something on that souvenir booth.” He said while he pointed out.

 

I was relieved that his flight was delayed and I still have time to say my goodbye.

 

“Yoochun, I’m sorry if I answered you last night with such an utter. I didn’t mean to but here I am. I wanna say my thank you’s.”

“It’s alright. And because of you, I cherish the moment that I became a commoner for a day.” He said.

“But still, thank you.”

“Thank you too, Kioko.” He said. “Soon, we’ll meet again.”

I nodded and said, “Yes. I’m looking forward to it.”

 

Yoochun stood up and he started to walk to the waiting lobby and was out of my sight. A few minutes later, I went out the door and a familiar car stopped right in front of me. The car’s window opened and it was Mario telling me to get inside. I went in and the car ran.

 

“How did you know that I was here?” I asked.

“Mr. Park called me a minute ago to fetch you.” He answered.

 

Yoochun thinks of my safety that’s why Mario is here.

 

“Kioko, Mr. Park leave this to me.” Mario handed a paperbag.

“What is this?” I asked.

“I don’t know Kioko. He leave it to me and said to give it to you at your place.” He answered.

“Thank you, Mario.”

 

I opened the paper and I was surprised… surprised to have a Lacoste bag. I saw there’s a car inside so I took it and read.

 

Kioko, the next time will meet, I’ll dress up like a commoner that even you can’t recognize me. Take care, and always be safe.

Yoochun