Intersection

Intricate Love

“Touchdown!”

I clicked on my phone taking a selfie when the plane landed. I was so excited and afraid because I am traveling alone. My friends were so eager to have this travel pushed through and here I am taking a picture of myself to post it on my Instagram for them to know that I arrived in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

As the plane stopped and the ramp was set, I stand up and get my backpack in the cabin and head to the door. I see the sun is still bright on 6pm compared to Philippines. I went down the ramp and walked a few meters and took a picture of myself with the plane. I walked through the way to the airport and lined up for my passport validation in the immigration section. I noticed there were many people who are traveling in the month of September.

Thirty minutes past, my passport was validated and headed to the exit looking for my name on a sheet of paper. I haven’t seen my name yet ‘coz there were people who are waiting for their guests too. I tried to search and then I suddenly bumped to a person.

“Oh! I’m sorry.”

I looked up because the person is tall, almost about 6 feet. It’s a guy after I looked up and he was beautiful, oops, I mean handsome. His black hair is silky, his lips are pinkish, skin is white, and his eyes… I don’t know! He’s wearing a Rayban shades.

“Hey, shorty! You better not look down.” The guy said in such improper tone. It makes me mad but I need to keep my cool and I’m having a vacation.

I just looked at him walking to the exit door and that moment, I realized that he’s just like me, traveling. On that simple black shirt, blue jeans and a backpack makes him stand out. Some of the girls outside can’t resist looking at him as he pass by. But, I’m still annoyed when he called me ‘Shorty’.

“Excuse me, are you Miss Kioko Hihara?” a guy asked me out of the blue while my eyes are locked on that guy who called me ‘shorty’.

“Uhmm, yes! I am Kioko.” I stammered.

“Hi, I’m Rashid and I am one of the personnel of Ibiz Hotel. The van is ready for you. Mr. Choi is waiting for us outside.”

“Okay.” I answered. Rashid led the way and I followed him while I tried to post my selfie pictures in Instagram and it failed. I locked my phone when I was outside and saw Rashid waving at me. I haven’t noticed that I was almost left behind. I ran to where Rashid is and he opened the door of the van. It seems like I saw a familiar person until I confirmed that it was him.

“You!” I shouted. “What are you doing here?”

“Miss Kioko, he is one of our guest.” Rashi answered.

“What?” I asked in a loud tone. That guy didn’t answer me and pretended that I wasn’t around.

“Rashid, if this girl don’t want to get in then leave her be.” He said like a he’s a boss.

I stomp my right foot hard and went in directly without saying anything. Rashid felt awkward with us and got in the driver’s seat, starting the engine. I sat at the back of that annoying guy, glaring at him like I want to stab his neck with a pen.

“Welcome to Kuala Lumpur, our dear guests. I hope you’ll have a great stay at Ibiz Hotel and enjoy the famous places in the country.”

Rashid was doing his spiels and I don’t know how many times he did those spiels to different guests. It’s kind of tiring and bothersome but it is his job. And on other hand, this pathetic guy is feeling like a boss. Such a fine man looks like he’s rich if I look at his skin.

‘Why do I have to categorize those white skin people as rich? Silly me.’

As I look him this close, I may fall in love with his beauty. The ridge of his nose is perfect. Not just with pinkish lips, it is also a little bit shiny or wet like kissable lips. The black color of his hair shines as the light hit it. He had perfect jaw line and broad shoulders.

‘I’m the happiest woman if this guy is my boyfriend.’

Rashid hit on the accelerator headed to the hotel in the city proper. I looked at the window, seeing the beauty of the country. I remember that trees were green when I was on the plane. The roads are wide and I saw some of subdivisions under construction. I tried not to fall asleep, as I wanted to see everything in Kuala Lumpur. I saw the famous tower, The Petronas Tower, from afar. I got this excitement fired up, as I wanted to see that tower up close.

Then it started to get dark, and the tower was lighted and it makes it more beautiful. I checked on my watch and it’s 7pm and we’re almost in the city proper. It’s been almost an hour on the road and the pathetic guy fell asleep. Well, I don’t want to bother him at all as I was so happy looking around. The lights are starting and made the city even more beautiful compared to those postcards that some of my friends gave me, and here I am enjoying it.

“By the way, we’re almost there.” Rashid breaks the silence.

I nod when he watched us at the mirror then I looked back on the window. This place looks like Manila in the Philippines. Expressway, flyovers, train transit, and more are much alike in Manila. However, the traffic here isn’t heavy.

Suddenly I noticed that we had a turn and I saw convenient stores on my left side and a general hospital on the other side. I remember that the hotel is near to the general hospital as I Google Map it before I travel. And not just a few thoughts, the van stopped.

“We’re here, at Ibiz Hotel.” Rashid said with a happy tone and he went out to open the door and help us.

Well, there’s nothing to help us because we only had our backpack, not those big trolleys. I went out and looked around the area and I noticed that Andrew, the guy, is still sleeping. Rashid tried to wake him up and he doesn’t. I took off my backpack and hit him with it. I saw Rashid’s reaction like his jaw was dropped and look so surprise.

“Aw!” He shouted. I didn’t know that I had the strength to carry my bag with my right hand and hit this guy. “What is your problem?” He shouted at me.

“Actually, I don’t have a problem. But, we have a problem of waking you up, your highness.” I answered with sarcasm. I know that what I did was wrong but I was so annoyed at him, feeling like a prince that someone needs to shove him just to wake him up.

He went out and I think he looked at me, or maybe glaring at me. I don’t know ‘coz he’s still wearing that shades even the sun is out. Rashid close the door and led us inside the hotel to the reception. The pathetic guy went inside and he showed his iPad to the receptionist then he was given his room key walked away.

I didn’t tend to look at him while he does his walkout. I showed my reservation on a printed bondpaper and they gave me my key.

“Miss Kioko, I’ll fetch you tomorrow morning around nine for your tour. And please tell Mr. Choi about it.” Rashid said and he went.

‘What? And I am the one to tell him about it? No way!’ My loud thoughts are raging. ‘And besides, I don’t know his room number.’

I went to my room and jump on my bed. I was tired and I want to rest then suddenly, my tummy growls. I’m hungry! I looked at my wallet and all I have are dollars. I forgot to change my money and I don’t have Ringgits to buy food. I washed my face before I went out my room and headed to the receptionist. I asked the receptionist if there were still moneychanger that is open but they don’t know if there are any at this hour. Eight o’clock in evening, no money, technically I have but dollars only. I went out the hotel and walked to the convenient stores. There people talking while eating their food, enjoying the companionship and here I am, alone. I sat on a corner near the 7/11 store and thinking on how to get food or sleep with this disturbing growls of my tummy. I kept on thinking and kicking my right foot on the ground until I saw a pair of shoes in front of me.