Chapter 35

Promise

 

"Okay, I'm finished." The stylist said as she took a step back.

"Thank you." Daehyun bowed as he stood up from the chair. 

Now that his hair and make up was finished, he went over to the waiting room where the other BAP members were.

BAP's first music video had been released last night. Today, in less than an hour, was BAP's debut stage.

"I'm so excited!" Zelo bounced up and down in anticipation.

"Save some of that energy for the performance." Youngjae teased.

Daehyun was extremely nervous and he paced back and forth.

As Daehyun worriedly paced back and forth, his thoughts drifted to you. He hadn't been able to talk to you in a while due to his busy schedule. 

All of a sudden Daehyun got an idea. He would call you and maybe you would be able to calm him down. Daehyun ran into the dressing room where his bag was. He fumbled around in his bag when suddenly, his wallet fell to the floor. He hurriedly picked up his wallet when a small piece of paper fell to the floor. He picked up the paper. It was the ticket you had given him. It was for your showcase. Daehyun had completely forgotten about the showcase since he was so busy. He turned the ticket over and looked for the date of the showcase. His eyes widened when he saw the date. It was today.

"Hyung, we are going on stage now!" Jongup called as he ran into the dressing room.

Daehyun was in complete shock. What was he going to do? He had promised to be at your showcase.

Daehyun was snapped out of his thoughts by Jongup who began pulling Daehyun out of the dressing room.

Daehyun pulled his arm from Jongup's grip and stood still. He felt like he was going to throw up. 

"Hyung please! We have to be on stage in two minutes." Jongup whined desperately.

Daehyun reluctantly followed Jongup back to the waiting room where the rest of BAP was. The six boys stood in a small circle.  

"Okay this is it. This is what we have been practicing for. I believe in you guys. Fighting!" Yongguk said as he pumped his fist in the air.

"Fighting!" The five other boys cheered.

Daehyun was going to have to focus. He would have to figure things out later. Right now, he had to concentrate on his performance.

Daehyun felt his stomach churning as he stood at the bottom of the stairs to the stage. Himchan was standing behind Daehyun.

"Ok, go on up." Himchan whispered.

Daehyun took a deep breath before climbing the stairs and stepping up on the stage. Himchan followed closely behind. The music began and bright lights lit up the the stage.

"Warrior is back."

"We gonna rock this."

"Uh huh."

The boys began to dance and sing their hearts out. The audience cheered and clapped. 

The boys finished and held their poses. Daehyun kept his head down, panting. He had never sang with such passion before. The boys finally looked up and bowed. 

"Thank you!" The boys called as they  began to exit the stage.

"Great job guys! That was outstanding!" The staff congratulated them.

Daehyun grinned and high fived everyone. Suddenly, he remembered your showcase. 

"I have to go!" Daehyun exclaimed as he grabbed his bag. Before anyone could say anything, Daehyun ran outside and began sprinting to your school.

------

"We can do this!" Hyo-Rin told you encouragingly.

You nodded and smiled.

"Y/n and Hyo-Rin please be ready to enter the stage. You are performing next." Your teacher said as she looked at her clipboard.


You took a deep breath as you heard the current performance end. Hyo-Rin stepped on the stage and you followed. You both took your places. The music began and Hyo-Rin began to sing.

Your part was coming up. 1-2-3..... You counted silently in your head. You began to sing and the audience seemed to be enjoying the performance. You turned and looked at the judges, making sure you made good eye contact.

You then turned to face the reserved seat in the front row where Daehyun would be sitting. You were going to smile at him. But there was a problem, Daehyun wasn't there. 

You were so surprised that he wasn't there. Many emotions came to you at that moment. You were angry, hurt, and confused. He had promised he would be here. 

You froze on stage as you stumbled upon your line. Hyo-Rin looked over at you and when she realized that you messed up, she began to sing and try to help you out.

However, you just stared at the empty seat in which Daehyun should have been. The microphone dropped from your hand and hit the floor, creating a loud screech. 

You didn't even look back. You just ran off the stage. The tears began to fall and you just shook your head. This wasn't supposed to be happening. 

You had a flashback of when you forgot your lines during the duet with Daehyun. You squeezed your eyes shut and you leaned against the wall.

"He promised." You sobbed.

You heard Hyo-Rin finish on stage and the audience clapped. 

You heard the judges speak, "that was a well executed performance. We are thrilled to inform you that we have an entertainment offer."

You heard Hyo-Rin quickly thank them and then you heard footsteps approaching you.

"Y/n! Y/n!" Hyo-Rin must have spotted you.

You turned around and tried to wipe your eyes.

Hyo-Rin gently grabbed your arm.

"Y/n, I'm so sorry. What happened?"

"Daehyun....he wasn't there."

Hyo-Rin looked at you sympathetically and she pulled you into am embrace.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered.

"No. Don't be sorry. I'm fine. I really am."

"Y/n...."

"Hyo-Rin I don't want to ruin your opportunities. I heard what the judges said."

"It isn't fair. You are just as talented as me. I'll decline the offer and-"

"No." You interrupted her.

"Y/n ah"

"Hyo-Rin my parents can't afford this school. This was my last chance. My opportunities are gone. But you still have great opportunities. Go take the offer." You told her firmly.

You felt a pain in your heart. History was  repeating itself. This was the same situation you had been in with Daehyun.

"Y/n, I didn't know you couldn't afford it anymore. I'm so sorry."

"Hyo-Rin I don't want you to feel bad. Please."

She looked at you one last time before hugging you again and hesitantly leaving.

You watched her walk away to go and accept the offer. You were so mad at yourself. You were mad at Daehyun. He had broken his promise.

------

Daehyun ran through the streets and eventually signaled a taxi. He arrived at your school as quick as possible. Unfortunately, the parking lot was empty and a few flyers fluttered in the wind. He grabbed one of the flyers and looked at it sadly. He was too late. The showcase was over. He had missed it by an hour.

He ran his hands through his hair as he tried deciding what to do. He had broken his promise. 

He finally decided to talk to you at your apartment. He shoved his hands in his pockets and kept his head low to avoid the icy wind.

He finally arrived to your apartment and nervously knocked on the door. There was no answer. He knocked again, a bit harder this time. The door creaked open as he knocked. 

'Thats strange. Why did she leave her door open?' Daehyun thought to himself.

He looked around the room and you were nowhere to be found. He pulled out his phone and tried calling you. He kept getting the voicemail.

Daehyun returned his phone to his pocket and began searching the room for any clues as to where you might be. Daehyun's phone began to ring and he pulled it out excitedly. To his disappointment, it wasn't you calling. It was Yongguk.

"Hello?"

"Daehyun where are you!?" Youngguk shouted.

Daehyun winced and rubbed his ear.

"I am at y/n's school."

"What are you doing there? Wait, never mind. We can talk about it later. We will be there in ten minutes to pick you up."

Yongguk hung up the phone. Daehyun sighed and walked back to the front parking lot where he could be picked up.

The sun was completely down now and it was nearly pitch dark except for the dim lights from the street lamps. Daehyun sat on the sidewalk in the parking lot and stared at his hands.

"I'm so sorry y/n." Daehyun whispered. "I really am."

 

 


AUTHORS NOTE
The drama begins! I know the story has been quite slow but now, things are about to get more exciting. Thankyou to all my subbies! Also, I hope you guys know that this is where the real story starts! Everything was kind of leading up to this.