Chapter 78

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 78 - The Truths and The Lies

♡♥♡

"Why are we even here?" Kyuhyun asks Ryeowook as they both enter the amusement park. It has been a month since Kyuhyun was interviewed, and only two months left before graduation. Ryeowook hugs Kyuhyun's arm and tucks himself to his boyfriend.

"I passed Harvard so we need to celebrate. Besides, we haven't had a real date since you had your interview," Ryeowook reasons out as he looks at Kyuhyun. "Donghae actually gave me extra tickets. Sungmin passed the entrance exam in Daehyun so they are also coming to celebrate. It's a double date."

Not interested, Kyuhyun wants to tell Ryeowook but before he can react, he sees Sungmin and Donghae entering the amusement park as well. Donghae waves at both of them, and Ryeowook waves back. Sungmin shyly waves at the couple as he walks with Donghae.

He feels a little awkward because surely, Kyuhyun can see him and Donghae holding hands, and he is seeing the other couple being lovey-dovey and all as well.

Donghae invited him to a date to celebrate their successful entrance examinations. Sungmin learned that he passed Daehyun School of Law entrance examinations and Donghae passed the culinary arts entrance examinations as well. Sungmin found nothing wrong about going to a date with Donghae since he was his boyfriend, so he accepted the invitation. He only learned that it would be a double date when Donghae mentioned that he invited Ryeowook and Kyuhyun too. Sungmin wanted to go back but he couldn't, or Donghae would be disappointed.

He decides to calm himself and act casually as possible, even if Kyuhyun is around.

"Good afternoon, guys. Good thing you went!" Donghae shows a wide grin to the couple. Ryeowook smiles back.

"Yes, of course, it's free so we're not going to say no, right Kyuhyun?" Ryeowook asks Kyuhyun who is looking somewhere else. Ryeowook feels ignored when Kyuhyun does not reply so he just turns to Sungmin. "Min! Long time no see!"

Sungmin laughs. "We saw each other yesterday at school though, Wook."

"Well, we do see each other at school but we are both busy with everything, including our relationships," Ryeowook tells Sungmin then he looks at Kyuhyun. "Where are you going? Shall we go inside to ride something or shall we just buy something to eat and have a talk before everything else?"

Donghae replies, "We can grab some food and drink first! Then we can separate so that we would have a time with our partners. Are you okay with it?"

Ryeowook nods. Sungmin smiles and nods as well. Kyuhyun just walks away as he pulls his arm from Ryeowook's grasp. Ryeowook smiles at the other couple and speaks, "Kyuhyun's actually not feeling it. Maybe he dislikes amusement parks? But don't worry, I can handle him."

"Maybe he's just tired because he's working at the ice cream parlor at the same time concentrating on studies and Harvard," Donghae says. "He's becoming isolated lately in school, Ryeowook."

"Really? Good thing, you mentioned that," Ryeowook sighs. "Don't worry, he's going to be fine because he will be able to unwind here. And oh, he's also going to quit his job at the ice cream parlor permanently."

"He's quitting?" Sungmin finally speaks and asks Ryeowook.

"It makes sense, because he's leaving after graduation," Donghae deduces. "Anyway, let's follow him?"

***

They find an available table for four inside a fastfood chain. While waiting for their orders, Donghae decides to start the conversation. "Kyuhyun, you've been too silent. Are you alright?"

Kyuhyun nods in reply, but he remains looking somewhere else other than his companions.

"I heard from the teachers that Kyuhyun's going to be the school's top student," Donghae informs everyone, then he looks at Ryeowook then at Sungmin. "As expected of him."

"I am so happy for you, Kyuhyun," Ryeowook says as he hugs Kyuhyun.

"Congratulations," Sungmin congratulates Kyuhyun. "It's really what we all expect from a soon-to-be Harvard law student."

"There's nothing to be congratulated about," Kyuhyun finally turns to the other three. "I am just doing what I need to do so that I won't disappoint the people who put me in this position."

"But still," Ryeowook insists. "I am a proud boyfriend."

There is an awkward silence after that. Donghae tries to recover the conversation. "Anyway, Sungmin's really passionate about learning. I have been watching him grow and I am not disappointed. Aren't you going to congratulate him for passing the law entrance exam?"

"To Sungmin, I am a proud best friend, and he knows that," Ryeowook taps Sungmin's back who is sitting beside him. "Sungmin knows that, right?"

Sungmin nods and smiles. "Thanks Ryeowook!"

"He's not a lawyer yet," Kyuhyun side comments as he looks at Sungmin. "I will congratulate him when he fulfills his dream of becoming a lawyer."

"That's so Kyuhyun, don't you think?" Donghae asks. "I remember when Kyuhyun told Sungmin that they'd be friends if he passed the exams last year. It's the exact Kyuhyun, but less monstrous."

Sungmin can't help but giggle, so Kyuhyun smirks secretly. To be honest, it's really funny that he made a promise like that when he was already trying to be friends with Sungmin.

"I think they became friends because of that. But seriously though, we all knew that Sungmin would pass the exams so that was given," Donghae laughs. "Sungmin's just a lazy bone. But he changed drastically over a year."

"Yah!" Sungmin jokingly hits Donghae's arm, Ryeowook chuckles, and Kyuhyun just laughs softly. Sungmin feels his blood rushing to his cheeks when he hears Kyuhyun's soft laugh. "I remember Kyuhyun was literally not smiling. He was as cold as ice that I called him an ice cold monster."

"I was not an ice cold monster. It's just that I couldn't laugh because there weren't any funny moments," Kyuhyun finally engages himself in the conversation. He looks at Sungmin and continues, "You're the monster because you kept on cursing for no reason."

"Well, they were just my expressions," Sungmin chuckles. "I cursed a lot because I got used to it, and you were being a jerk before!"

"Excuse me," Kyuhyun laughs. "I was not a jerk. I helped you a lot even during our stay in the Philippines, so I couldn't be a jerk most of the time."

"Yeah, you did help me a lot of times that was why we became friends. It was a good development from being enemies, don't you think?" Sungmin can't stop laughing while he reminisces everything that happened a year before. "And you were able to open up about Jino that you even cried in front of me!"

"Yah! It was our secret! You told me you would keep that as a secret!" Kyuhyun pretends to be angry but he isn't offended at all.

"Kyuhyun broke down and cried in front of me!" Sungmin tells Donghae and Ryeowook who are quiet and just smiling. Kyuhyun holds Sungmin's arm and pulls him as he uses his hand to cover Sungmin's mouth. Sungmin can't help but laugh loudly. Kyuhyun is also laughing out loud while covering Sungmin's mouth.

"It's good to see this," Donghae comments and smiles. Kyuhyun and Sungmin slowly calm themselves. There is silence between everyone and after a few moments, Donghae speaks again. "Anyway, Ryeowook," He turns to Ryeowook and continues, "Our landlady is going to celebrate her birthday tomorrow, right? Let's buy a present for her? I think I saw something at a store."

"We can buy a present later, right?" Ryeowook asks Donghae. However, Donghae pulls his wrist and drags him away from Kyuhyun and Sungmin. "Donghae!" Ryeowook scolds but he turns to both of them. "We'll be really back soon, okay?" He says as he follows Donghae's lead.

While walking, Donghae glances secretly at Kyuhyun and Sungmin as he and Ryeowook walks away. He sighs and finally faces forward.

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun and Sungmin turn quiet again. After a while, Kyuhyun slowly and softly lets go of a chuckle that eventually turns into a loud and contagious laugh. Sungmin laughs as well as they look at each other. "It's good to know that we never forgot everything in the past," Kyuhyun says. "Whenever I think of it, I find it funny and very dear."

"It is. Memories are just... really very dear," Sungmin comments. "Kyuhyun... I'm-"

"I'm sorry, Sungmin," Kyuhyun cuts Sungmin's lines. "I'm sorry for being really bad to you before. I mean... this is my karma. If I didn't act like that, maybe... maybe we would have no problem now."

Sungmin does not speak but he eventually stops laughing.

"Sungmin, it was so hard for me, but I decided to give you up. I will also break up with Ryeowook. I will apologize and ask for his forgiveness, even if he doesn't forgive me, I will still ask for it. I don't want to use him for my selfishness. And I won't even mention that I am in love with you so that you can keep a best friend," Kyuhyun tells Sungmin. Sungmin feels difficulty in breathing as he hears it. "It is the most logical thing to do. I have decided that once I leave for Harvard, I would leave for good. I may not be able to work at your father's firm. I will tell him that. I will make him understand. If I leave, I would cut our ties and pretend that we don't know each other in case we would meet again in the future."

Sungmin remains staring at him, his tears fall without warning as Kyuhyun's tears fall as well.

"I can't lose you to be honest, and I believe that I'll still love you even if we separate. I know that we can't be together without hurting someone so I'd rather hurt myself than to see you unhappy. You're free now, Sungmin. I hope, you'll be happy. I know you will be. And please," Kyuhyun holds Sungmin's hand. "Please fulfill your dream. I want you to be the best lawyer in Korea. And I believe that it would happen someday. Goodbye, Sungmin." Kyuhyun removes his hand from Sungmin's and stands. He leaves.

Sungmin wants to hold him back but he remains frozen as he looks at the disappearing sight of Kyuhyun.

***

"Kyuhyun, open the door. Kyuhyun!" Ryeowook knocks on Kyuhyun's door simultaneously as if he's going to break it. In the end, Kyuhyun opens it. "What happened? Why did you suddenly leave? I'm worried that you were too bored-"

"Let's end this, Ryeowook," Kyuhyun says softly, but enough for Ryeowook to hear it. "Let's break up."

Ryeowook holds Kyuhyun's arms and almost claws them with both hands. "What are you saying, Kyuhyun? Why are you suddenly like this? Is this a prank? Or... did I do something to offend you? Kyuhyun! Please answer me!" Ryeowook's tears fall as he tries to look at Kyuhyun's eyes. Kyuhyun meets his eyes, and Ryeowook realizes that he's not joking. "T-Tell me... please... why..."

"I thought I would be able to give myself a chance to love you, Ryeowook. But I can't... It was my mistake. It was my mistake to ask you to try getting into a relationship," Kyuhyun tells Ryeowook who just shakes his head. "I am sorry-"

"N-No, Kyuhyun... please. I will change! I will be the person you want me to be. I will be better. K-Kyuhyun," Ryeowook loses his grasp at Kyuhyun's arms as he feels weak. "Y-You're unfair... Kyuhyun. I love you... I have loved you with all my heart, with all of me. W-What did I do wrong?"

"I'm sorry," Kyuhyun says as he removes Ryeowook's hands. "I'm really sorry for ending it like this. I don't want to be unfair to you. I'm sorry."

Ryeowook cries and runs away without saying any word.

***

Sungmin sighs as he and Donghae walk towards his house.

Donghae invited him to a dinner instead because he wanted to cook for him, so Sungmin agreed.

When Donghae and Ryeowook arrived, Kyuhyun was already gone, so Ryeowook asked Sungmin where he went, but he couldn't answer. Ryeowook left as soon as he bid his farewell to the couple. Donghae asked Sungmin what happened, but he just shook his head.

As soon as they arrive at Donghae's house, he asks Sungmin to sit on the couch.

He is feeling down. What Kyuhyun said hurt him too hard that he was not able to say anything to Ryeowook. He was shocked. He was speechless. He was scared. He felt every emotion when Kyuhyun said that he would leave him for good. And what hurt the most was that Kyuhyun said that he would forget him completely and he would pretend that they never knew each other.

Unknowingly, Sungmin's tears fall again while remembering everything.

"Sungmin..." Donghae calls him, but he can't answer. He swallows the lump in his throat and wipes his tears to pretend that he is not feeling sad and hurt. He calms himself before he stands and turns to Donghae, finally acknowledging the call. "I forgot to buy something. I would just go to the convenience store downstairs."

Sungmin nods and sits back on the couch. As soon as Donghae leaves, he tucks his head in his arms and cries.

Donghae, on the other hand, silently closes the door and remains outside for about a minute. He clenches his fists and his tears fall from his eyes as well. He briskly wipes them away as he walks away from his room. When he is already at the ground floor, he dials Kyuhyun's number. He isn't really going to the convenience store.

He has decided to  give Sungmin up to the person he really loves.

No one answers.

He dials again, and Kyuhyun answers after a while.

"No matter what, please don't hang up. I need you to do this, Kyuhyun," he says as he puts the phone in his jacket's pocket and quickly goes back to his room.

Sungmin must already have tried to calm down. But Donghae knows he isn't any better than when he left him.

But Sungmin tries to smile at him as he asks, "I thought you're going to buy something at the convenience store?"

Donghae smiles a little as he approaches Sungmin who is still sitting on the couch. He sits beside him. "I realize that I can't just leave you here."

"That's weird, Donghae, of course you can-" Sungmin stops when Donghae hugs him tightly. "Y-You're acting weird."

Donghae pulls himself and kisses his boyfriend. After the kiss, he cups his face and holds it securely as he looks at Sungmin in the eyes. "Please... can you make love to me?"

***

Kyuhyun tightens his grasp of the phone as he hears those words from Donghae. W-What is he... asking Sungmin to do? His heart is beating so fast. Why is he...

When Donghae called him, he thought twice if he would answer it. For whatever reason, he didn't, but Donghae was insistent so he had no choice but to answer. Then Donghae told him to not hang up. He tried to ask Donghae but he just heard random noises. After a minute, when he was almost deciding to end the call, he heard Sungmin's voice from the other line.

Then what he heard after a long silence was Donghae's question.

***

"Donghae, w-what are you saying-"

"Sungmin," he searches for his boyfriend's eyes when Sungmin leaves his. When he does, he kisses Sungmin's lips again, now more passionately. His lips are moving as if Donghae is asking - no, begging - Sungmin to kiss back.

"D-Donghae," Sungmin pushes Donghae lightly instead of kissing back. He does not let go of Sungmin, but instead, he kisses him again. Sungmin struggles to move away as Donghae tries to push him to the couch while kissing him. Sungmin finds a little space to break away so he uses that space to yell, "S-Stop!"

"You... you can't love me... because there's someone inside your heart already, right?" Donghae's tears fall again as he falls down over Sungmin, completely passive over him, head tucked on Sungmin's right shoulder. Sungmin is shocked to feel Donghae's tears dropping on his right shoulders. "You love someone else, right?"

Sungmin does not speak.

"I already knew. Before, I had doubts but as time passed, I... I was able to see, but I couldn't react, because I was scared to react. You... you are my first love and loving you was really the best thing that happened to my life. But sadly," Donghae sobs and sits back on the couch as he holds Sungmin's hand to pull him to a seating position. "But sadly, you can't be with me. The person you love was... is... and forever will be my best friend."

***

Kyuhyun almost freezes as he hears their conversation. He is curious about what will happen next and what will Sungmin tell Donghae.

So he continues to listen on the other line.

***

"D-Donghae..." Sungmin murmurs as he looks at his boyfriend in the eyes.

"Sungmin," Donghae holds his shoulders and let Sungmin face him directly. "Please tell me. Do you love Kyuhyun?"

Sungmin looks away but he doesn't reply.

"I will ask you again, Sungmin," Donghae asks, "Do you love Kyuhyun? I want to hear it directly from you."

Sungmin's tears fall down as he cries, "I am sorry... but yes, I love Kyuhyun. I do love him, Donghae. But I was too scared that everything would be against us so I broke up with him. I was a coward, because I couldn't even fight for us. I was scared that... Ryeowook would hate me for loving the person he loves the most. But Donghae... it hurt so bad when Kyuhyun told me that he would leave and forget about me. It pained me to see him and Ryeowook being together. I wanted to take him back... but... but... it's too late. It's realy too late-"

Donghae smiles and gets the phone from his jacket. "It's not yet too late, Sungmin," he says and puts it on his ear. "Did you hear that, Kyuhyun?"

Sungmin is shocked as he looks at Donghae curiously. The latter is staring at him.

***

"Yes, I did," Kyuhyun says. He can't help but smile, and although Sungmin has told Donghae first that the former loves him, it doesn't matter anymore. Sungmin saying that he loves Kyuhyun, is enough.

"Glad you did," says someone in the other line. "But it doesn't mean I am going to give up on Sungmin that quickly, Kyuhyun. I want to fight until the end because I don't want Sungmin to be with someone who doesn't deserve him."

There is conviction in Donghae's voice, although Kyuhyun can feel that there is something that holds him back. But whatever it is, he knows, even if he has already decided to give up on Sungmin.

No, he can't just give up. He loves him more than everything. He may not be the one who deserves Sungmin but he will do everything to make Sungmin happy.

"Giving up was my mistake, Donghae. But I love Sungmin and I won't even think of letting him go ever again. I will do everything to take him back, even if it costs my life."

***

Sungmin is speechless. Donghae has turned the loudspeaker on for him to hear everything that Kyuhyun would say.

"Giving up was my mistake, Donghae. But I love Sungmin and I won't even think of letting him go ever again. I will do everything to take him back, even if it costs my life."

Sungmin feels his heart jump as soon as he hears Kyuhyun. He covers his mouth to prevent himself from crying, but he is unsuccessful at that.

Donghae smirks and looks at Sungmin before he speaks again, "There will be an annual 400-meter dash competition in Inhwan before graduation, right? Since we are not in the same class, I want you to volunteer for your class. I will volunteer for my class, too, as always. If you win, I will give Sungmin a free choice to continue dating me or break up with me on that day because I respect him so much, may it be accepting you or not. If I win, you have to do what you promised Sungmin to do. You must leave for Harvard and not come back again or if you do, you would have to not show your face again. I don't really think you deserve him as much as I do but because Sungmin says that he loves you, I am giving you a chance to prove that you deserve him better than me."

"D-Donghae... you don't need to-"

"I accept the challenge, Donghae,"  Kyuhyun replies in a matter of seconds. "I am going to win."

"Alright then," Donghae sighs. "May the best man wins."

***

Only two days before Inhwan University's Annual Spring Sports Festival. Kyuhyun has been practicing a lot, so as Hyukjae and Donghae.

Hyukjae learned from Yesung that Donghae has challenged Kyuhyun for the 400-meter dash in the annual sports festival, so he had a feeling that it was related to Sungmin. He confronted Donghae and asked him if it was true, and Donghae told him everything, since Hyukjae also told him everything. Hyukjae said that he would also volunteer for his class because he wanted to be deserving to Sungmin. Donghae didn't stop him though.

So Hyukjae is trying his best to workout and practice in his home.

"One minute and fifteen seconds for one lap, Master," says Kai, his bodyguard. "Lay has told me that you need to improve your endurance because you tend to get slower as you go on."

Hyukjae sits on the tracks and hits the ground. "I am doing everything... Why can't I improve my running?"

"We need to do endurance exercise for your legs, Master," Lay chimes in. "If you don't improve your endurance, and also your leg strength after that, you might have cramps more often."

"You also need to drink a lot of water and eat a lot of bananas," Kyungsoo, another bodyguard, tells Hyukjae. "I know you don't like bananas, but you need them."

Hyukjae clenches his fists and stands up. "Okay then. I will do everything that I can. I will win. I will surely win."

***

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun tries his best as well.

He goes to Han River to jog as warm up, then he would transfer to an abandoned track and field tracks near the area. He can afford renting a field to practice, however, there are a lot of students who are also practicing for the track and field tryouts.

He almost falls on the ground in exhaustion as he wipes his sweat. He has been practicing since the day he volunteered to be Class A's representative. Everyone was shocked because Kyuhyun never participated in such sports festival - his class would always have Donghae as their representative.

He knew Donghae would choose 400 meter dash because it is his specialty. Donghae has always been the champion of that since middle school, so Kyuhyun knows that it is a very tough to beat Donghae, especially now that heart is involved.

Ever since that day, he hasn't heard anything about Donghae nor Sungmin. He also tries to contact Sungmin but the latter never answers.

Kyuhyun sighs as he looks up in the open sky then he closes his eyes. But he does not let tiredness come in him. He immediately opens his eyes and starts running again to beat his previous score.

He can't lose. For the sake of their love, he won't lose. He will never think of losing.

He stands and prepares to run again. Unfortunately, his leg feels wiggly that he immediately falls down on the ground, twisiting his right ankle. It is a very bad fall, but he doesn't let the pain get into him. He starts running again.

But everytime, it feels worse.

He doesn't care.

***

"Hyung..."

Sungmin turns around and sees Sungjin who enters his room. The younger male approaches him.

"Hyung, about what I told you before... I am very sorry," Sungjin apologizes. "It's just that I don't want to see you like that. You were the strongest hyung before, and you were very courageous about things even though I knew you could not do everything alone. Kyuhyun hyung entered our lives and you changed in a better way. You began to rely on others which was not really a bad thing. You learned to appreciate all the things around you. And most of all, you continued your dream because of him. Hyung, please don't fool yourself anymore."

Sungjin is about to go but Sungmin holds his wrist and hugs his younger brother. "I... I'm sorry, Jin. Sorry for making you worry."

Sungjin hugs Sungmin back. "Just smile when you're happy and cry when you're lonely. Don't pretend that everything's alright. I am here with you. And Mom and Dad too."

Sungmin nods in reply.

Tomorrow is the day of the competition. He'll know for sure. And whatever happens, he'll believe in Kyuhyun.

***

"Ugh," Kyuhyun closes his eyes tightly as he tries to lift his right foot. His right foot is swollen because of the twisted ankle, and although he put some sprain spray, he still tries to run and practice instead of resting.

It is the day of the competition and he struggles to walk from home to school. When he reaches the school gate, he tries to look normal as possible, pretending that he does not have any injury or some sort.

He sighs deeply as he enters his classroom.

"Good luck later, Kyuhyun!" his classmates cheer and gives him a lot of encouragement. Kyuhyun smiles and nods.

In just three hours, the competition will start, and all participants of the 400-meter dash are asked to gather inside the track-and-field club's locker room fifteen minutes before the competition. He sees Donghae and Hyukjae and the other participant from Class 3. They are starting to do their warm ups when Kyuhyun arrives because Kyuhyun secretly went to the men's toilet to spray medicine on his right foot.

"Sungmin's going to watch today so I won't lose to both of you," Hyukjae tells Donghae and Kyuhyun. "I will win."

"Donghae's always the champion when it comes to 400-m dash with almost fifteen seconds lead, so it is impossible to do that, unless you're a part of track and field team," the other participant chimes in. "To be honest, I feel so nervous right now. For the last years, we were only beginning to aim for the second place."

Donghae just continues stretchings. Hyukjae approaches Kyuhyun. "Is that true?"

"Donghae has been scouted by the track-and-field team for the last six years but he always declined the offer," Kyuhyun seriously tells Hyukjae. "So this will be a tough competition, especially now that Sungmin's involved. He chose this challenge because he was best in this."

Donghae stands and faces both. "I know, you think I am not fair for choosing this challenge but," he looks at Kyuhyun. "You were not fair as well. You kept your feelings for Sungmin and as a best friend, I needed to know. At least, it wouldn't come to this that I needed to compete with you in this kind of way, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun and Hyukjae remain speechless.

"I still won't lose," Hyukjae says.

"Participants for the 400-m dash, please go outside now and prepare," says the organizer. Hyukjae comes first, then the participant from class 3, Kyuhyun, then Donghae.

Donghae furrows his eyebrows when he notices that there is something different about Kyuhyun's way of walking, it's as if he is dragging his right foot in a very unnoticeable way as possible. And he also observed that his movements were reserved.

He couldn't be... injured, he thinks as he continues to walk behind them.

Kyuhyun wipes his sweat as he enters the field. This is bad, he thinks. The spring is usually not that warm, but he feels that his temperature is not normal. I can't have fever too.

He breathes in and out as he stops walking. He looks around to see if Sungmin's somewhere. His heart skips a beat when he sees Sungmin sitting among the audience, looking at him worriedly. He smiles and waves at him, making everyone sitting with Sungmin squeal. Inhwan's Annual Spring Sports Festival is always open to the public so it is very well-attended. 

Sungmin looks away in embarrassment. He remembers the day when he told Donghae his real feelings for Kyuhyun, without knowing that Kyuhyun was listening. Since that day, he became more embarrassed that he was missing all calls and texts from Kyuhyun.

But seeing Kyuhyun there makes him happy for all reason. He misses watching him, to be honest.

However, he feels that there is something wrong about Kyuhyun that day. He looks like he is in physical pain, but he is trying not anyone to notice it.

Too bad for Kyuhyun, Sungmin knows him very much.

***

The competition will start in two minutes. The participants begin to prepare on tracks.

Donghae looks at where Sungmin is and he sees him looking at Kyuhyun. It makes him mad and jealous that it makes him want to win really badly.

They are going to run for three laps, so it would be a very quick win for Donghae. He looks at Kyuhyun whose eyes are focused on the tracks. He also tries to focus on tracks as well.

"On your mark, get set, go!" The starter's gun has been fired, and Donghae confidently takes the lead. He runs as fast as he can, but someone is catching up real quick. It is Hyukjae. He is close second. When they reach the curves, Donghae is able to take the highest lead again, leaving Hyukjae behind by mere three seconds. He reaches the second curve to the starting line to finish the lap with five second lead.

He is confident however, someone else catches up again. This time it is Kyuhyun. Donghae can see his determined, yet pained face through the side of his eye. His heart suddenly skips a beat when Kyuhyun begins to take his position as first. However, at the second curve of the second lap, Kyuhyun slows down that he is able to take the first place again.

He is shocked when Hyukjae comes close, then Kyuhyun, that they are almost head to head until they reach the third lap that makes Donghae lead only by a second. Donghae tries to exert all his effort to increase the lead, however, he sees Sungmin. He is sure that his eyes are focused on Kyuhyun and only on Kyuhyun. And before he knows it, he runs slower and slower until he completely stops. He can hear a lot of people asking him to continue but he can't. He has decided.

He watches Kyuhyun and Hyukjae compete until Hyukjae falls on the second curve. Hyukjae screams in pain as he holds his left leg. Donghae immediately runs towards him. "Are you alright?"

Hyukjae cries in pain. "I-I was almost there!" He hits the ground violently as then he holds his left leg again.

Medics arrive but Donghae asks them to stop and go to Kyuhyun instead. "Kyuhyun's injured, and this is just a cramp so I can manage here. After he finishes the race, please see to it that his right foot is treated." The medics nod in agreement so they stand by at the finish line to attend to Kyuhyun.

Hyukjae looks at Donghae. "W-What!? Kyuhyun's injured? How come he is trying-"

Donghae assists Hyukjae and stretches Hyukjae's cramped leg. "He loves Sungmin that much, Hyukjae. He would rather get hurt than make Sungmin unhappy. He is serious about winning this and even though he disadvantaged, he still runs to win."

"But why... why did you stop," Hyukjae allows Donghae to help him with his cramping foot, that he almost forgets about the pain. "You could have gone first if you exerted effort before the second curve."

"I saw Sungmin. By that time, I decided to stop. To be honest, it has been my plan. I am really going to give Sungmin up even though I win the race. I know I can't make him happy. And I can't be selfish. I love Sungmin that is why I stopped running."

Hyukjae stares at Donghae who continues to stretch his leg. "I guess, I should also give up now."

"That's the best thing we can do, Hyukjae," Donghae smiles at him. For the first time, Hyukjae feels warm when Donghae stands. "Maybe I stopped because I predicted that anytime, you would fall. I saw your leg muscles when we were warming up and they were kind of stiff. I knew that if they would be forced, you would have cramps anytime. But still tried your best. So I don't want you to leave you there and lose," Donghae offers his hand and Hyukjae looks at him. "I guess, we can finish this race, together. Should we?"

Hyukjae nods and holds Donghae's hand. They run and finish last together.

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun falls as soon as he finishes the race. He breathes in and out simultaenously. He feels dizzy and his foot hurts a lot.

Medics arrive as soon as he falls and assist him. They remove his shoe and treat his right foot. He screams in pain as they apply some cold compress to Kyuhyun's foot. His classmates surround him and congratulate him for winning, and they are also worried about his foot when they see that it is swelling terribly.

He almost grasps the ground in pain when the medics use an anti-inflammatory spray on his foot. His foot is worse than earlier, and his temperature is rising too.

"Kyuhyun!" Donghae and Hyukjae run to him and calls him. "It is swelling too much! Can't we just take him to the hospital?" Donghae asks.

"We need to let the pain subside for a moment or it may develop complications because of the open wounds. We are getting the stretcher so that we can take him to the hospital as quickly as possible," one of the nurses explain.

Kyuhyun closes his eyes tightly in pain. Other nurses come with the stretcher, so the attending medics prepare transfer of Kyuhyun to the stretcher.

"Kyuhyun!"

Sungmin who immediately comes to see how Kyuhyun is doing calls Kyuhyun's name. Kyuhyun opens his eyes to see Sungmin who looks very worried. "You jerk! Why did you run if you are already injured!?"

Kyuhyun smiles and stretches his hand towards Sungmin who holds his hand in return. "I can't just lose you anymore," he says. "Thank you for watching me."

"Shush! You need to be rushed to the hospital," Sungmin turns to the medics and asks them to take Kyuhyun to the hospital. "Please take care of him."

The medics take Kyuhyun to the ambulance and drive away.

Donghae puts his hand on his shoulder. "You should go to him."

"D-Donghae, I-I'm-"

Donghae hugs Sungmin. "I understand it now. Follow Kyuhyun because he needs you there. Alright? I am giving you up, but make sure that both of you will be happy. And no matter what, please do not hesitate to love him because he did not hesitate to love you."

Sungmin pulls himself and nods at Donghae then Hyukjae, then he looks back at Donghae. "Thank you."

***

Kyuhyun has been admitted in the hospital.

Sungmin learns that Kyuhyun has been overworking his foot even though he is already injured so his temperature rises as well. However, the doctor says that he will be fine in two days with enough resting.

Sungmin waits for Kyuhyun to wake up. He sits beside him and holds his hand, just like how he did it when Sungmin was the one confined in the hospital.

Minutes after, Kyuhyun slowly opens his eyes and looks at Sungmin who is worriedly watching over him. Sungmin immediately stands and asks Kyuhyun if he is alright. Kyuhyun nods in reply. "I feel cured now that you're here," he says. Sungmin blushes and looks away as he tries to pull his hand from Kyuhyun, but Kyuhyun holds it securely. "I miss you."

"I-I just... waited for you to wake up, so I can properly say goodbye," Sungmin says, but Kyuhyun still holds his hand. "U-Uhm, you can let me go now."

"I told you," Kyuhyun pulls him and hugs him. "I... I can't just let go of you now that you admitted that you loved me too."

"W-What are you saying?" Sungmin tries to pull himself away but even if Kyuhyun is sick, he is still able to hold onto him.

"It's just a pity that I heard everything through Donghae first," Kyuhyun tells Sungmin and carresses his head. "You're kinda bias."

"I was not! It was just I-"

"It doesn't matter," Kyuhyun says and closes his eyes. "What matters now is that you're here again with me."

***

"Did you forget your toothbrush? Make sure you didn't forget anything," Sungmin nags Kyuhyun who is finally getting out of the hospital. Sungmin looks around and sees Kyuhyun's sock on the couch. "Yah! Your sock is on the couch!"

Kyuhyun is just sitting on the bed and smiling while looking at Sungmin who is just busy at fixing and putting his things back to Kyuhyun's bag.

For the last two days, Sungmin has been his visitor. He also volunteers to stay with Kyuhyun and sleep at the hospital. He does everything to make Kyuhyun comfortable - it is his fault that Kyuhyun is suffering anyway. Last night, Donghae and Hyukjae visited Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun praised the two for being sports about the competition, while Sungmin teased that it was seldom to see both together. While Donghae mocked Hyukjae for practically following him wherever he went, Hyukjae just grinned in reply.

"Has Ryeowook visited Kyuhyun already?" asked Hyukjae. Sungmin and Kyuhyun looked at each other because Ryeowook really hadn't visited Kyuhyun. He must have learned about what happened to Kyuhyun. And knowing Ryeowook, he would go as fast as he could.

Sungmin shook his head.

"Well, Kyuhyun broke up with him, so I don't think he'll come," Donghae said. "I knocked at his room awhile ago and he said that he was busy studying, although he asked how Kyuhyun was and when he will be discharged."

Even though Sungmin is worried about Ryeowook, Kyuhyun assures him that he'll be alright.

"To be honest, I am not your nanny," Sungmin says as he zips Kyuhyun's bag close.

"Yeah, but you're my boyfriend," Kyuhyun tells Sungmin who blushes.

"Who says I'm your boyfriend?" Sungmin approaches Kyuhyun. "You need to court me again. I've been single for-"

Kyuhyun pulls him for a hug. "I don't think we need to start from the beginning again. I love you and you love me so..." Kyuhyun cups his face and kisses Sungmin who kisses him back.

And what stops them is a loud noise coming from the door. They immediately turn at the door and sees Ryeowook with a shocked face.

"S-So... this is how it is!" Ryeowook yells and runs away. Sungmin goes after him, but Kyuhyun stops him by holding his wrist.

"K-Kyuhyun! I need to explain-"

"We'll explain it together to him, okay?" Kyuhyun says and hugs Sungmin.

***

《Two chapters left. KyuMin is back again, but woah Ryeowook.》