Chapter 39

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 39 - Of Rumors and Realizations

♡♥♡

"Let us just forget it like we haven't talked about this," Sungmin turns around and walks away from Kyuhyun, but the latter chases after him and blocks his way. "I won't go with you! I'll just tell them that you're not interested in going to the beach and-"

"Sungmin that I know is not like that," Kyuhyun says. "I know Sungmin who does not backout in anything."

"Well you're mistaken about me. I don't want to talk to you about this anymore," Sungmin tries to go away from Kyuhyun, but the latter still blocks his way. "Can you please go home now?"

Kyuhyun shakes his head. "I know that you are insisting because you promised to Ryeowook, right? That I will come?"

"Why are you even playing hard-to-get, you ?" Sungmin is finally annoyed. "You know Ryeowook's feelings about you. Can you be truthful to him and to yourself just for once?"

Kyuhyun grins. "That is why I am going to the beach with you. I promise that I will not lie to him nor to myself. I'll be real to my feelings if that is what you want."

Sungmin sighs and pushes Kyuhyun out of the way. "Stop doing this because I want it. Do it for yourself," he says as he walks away. But after a few steps, he stops without looking at Kyuhyun. "Because you promise not to lie, then fine. Go with us to the beach and I'll go with you to the Philippines." He leaves after.

Kyuhyun's heart beats faster than usual. He suddenly feels nervous at the same time, excited, for the first time in his life. He has been a cold-hearted one who does not feel such things, except when he is with Sungmin, but the feeling is extreme that time. He can't help but to smile widely until he decides to enter his house.

What makes him more excited is Sungmin's interview in the magazine that he is holding. He is like a fan who has his idol's merchandise. He sits on his bed and browses the magazine for Sungmin's interview. He does not care about his, anyway. But he is surprised to see his interview side by side Sungmin's. Ms. Jang really makes it a competition between them.

Before reading the interview, he stares at Sungmin's photo. He is really good-looking, he thinks as he smiles. He reads Sungmin's interview. There are few new things but most of them are something that he already knew. Some... well some are lies made by Sungmin.

Favorite food: Fried chicken. Seriously, it's always been pumpkins and strawberry sundae, he thinks as he reads. Favorite color: Blue. Trying to be a man? It's pink!

He knows more than the interview itself. He nearly gives up until he sees something that catches his eye. Ideal type: Funny, loud, caring and someone who does anything for me. Good-looking is a plus too. And don't forget - a good cook!

He can't stop himself from thinking that Sungmin is describing someone like Donghae. He feels a little jealous. Just a little because he might be lying again.

There is a next line and it is about Sungmin's secret. Sungmin's secret: He hasn't fallen in love with anyone yet.

Kyuhyun sighs. He just looks at his own interview, because he has no question about the secret. And he stands up in shock. "What the hell is this!?"

His heart starts pounding again as he dials Ms. Jang's number, but she is quicker than him - she has sent a text message.

Hey, I just received an email that the editor-in-chief had ordered to print the magazines just before we met, and it will be released tomorrow! Expect the magazines to be available first thing in the morning tomorrow! Well, good night! I hope you liked it! P.S. I didn't mention any name!

He wants to throw his phone that time. He is doomed. He is really doomed. He can't do anything about it now. He is still bothered by that simple line - Kyuhyun's secret: He likes someone from Daehyun University.

○●○

"Have you heard the news?"

"Yes! I bought the magazine today! It is very shocking that someone from Inhwan would have a special someone here in our school!"

"Who can it be?"

"Probably someone very popular here! Kyuhyun is no joke. He's my crush, you know?"

"Me too! But then who is the lucky girl?"

Sungmin keeps on hearing a lot of rumors about Kyuhyun. He doesn't know where they are coming from, but they are mentioning one magazine. Could it be the magazine where the both of them were featured a week ago? It's only been a week or two.

"Fast editing," he comments as he inserts his hands into his pockets.

"Sungmin!" someone calls him, and it is obviously not Ryeowook because it is a girl. Her friends follow her and they all surround Sungmin. "I saw your interview! You are setting the bars high for male students in Daehyun University! The college students are very envious of you."

Daehyun University gets invitation in modeling, but most of the invitations are for women, so Sungmin is the first male high school student who is asked to pose for a magazine.

"They shouldn't be," Sungmin says.

"By the way, are you close with Kyuhyun? Can you give me his number?" The girl asks. Sungmin can't believe that people suddenly become so friendly to him because of the magazine. But he doesn't like the fact that he is becoming a bridge for other girls and Kyuhyun. In fact, he hates it.

"Sorry, but I don't think I can give his number to you," Sungmin says. "He has someone right now, so don't hope for him."

"Does that mean you know that person?" Another girl asks and the others begin mobbing him.

Sungmin is shocked to see other students mobbing him because of what he says. "No! No! No! Leave me!"

"What's going on here!?" Ryeowook arrives and sees other people around Sungmin. "Min?"

"Wook! It's Wook!" He shouts. "Kyuhyun likes Ryeowook now go away!"

"Eh? That is impossible, you're just making a fool out of us." They start to leave him.

Sungmin sighs in relief and Ryeowook approaches him, still confused about what's happening. "What was that all about? What about Kyuhyun and me?"

"Well, we posed in a magazine and people are suddenly talking about Kyuhyun. I don't know. I haven't had the magazine yet," Sungmin tells Ryeowook. "Ms. Jang, the writer, texted me last night and told me that it would be released this morning and that she would give me a copy too."

"You posed with Kyuhyun in a magazine!?"

"We were featured in the same magazine, but we were interviewed and taken photos of separately, so we didn't really posed together," Sungmin explains. "Anyway, I'm grabbing the magazine later. Do you want to come?"

"Sure, but can we go to the grocery first?" Ryeowook asks. "I need to buy food."

Sungmin smiles and nods as a reply.

○●○

"It was released earlier than I expected," says Ms. Jang as she gives a copy of magazine to Sungmin. "I actually gave Kyuhyun an unpublished copy yesterday because it was one of his conditions, however, the editor-in-chief gave the go signal to the printing department so he was not able to change it."

"How about the rumor that has been spread all throughout the city? We were in the grocery awhile ago and people, especially teens were talking about it. Where did that come from?" Ryeowook asks her.

Ms. Jang commands to open the magazine and look for Kyuhyun and Sungmin's pages. Sungmin obeys and he lets Ryeowook look at that. "Oh, it is under Kyuhyun's secret!"

"How were you able to make him tell his secret?" Sungmin glances back at Ms. Jang. "I mean, it is Kyuhyun. He does not share secrets or anything."

Ms. Jang nods. "Well, he revealed it himself because I noticed it."

Ryeowook immediately looks back at Ms. Jang. "So you have seen that person... The person who is studying in Daehyun University? Is she popular?"

"Pretty popular," Ms. Jang says. "I guess."

Ryeowook sighs and closes the magazine. "This ."

Ms. Jang's eyebrows meet as she hears what Ryeowook comments. "Eh? Why is it?"

"You see," Ryeowook hesitates, but he ends up telling. "I really like Kyuhyun, and it hurts to think that he likes someone else. Do you know that feeling?"

Sungmin stares at Ryeowook who is obviously hurt about it. "Ryeowook, we're not sure yet! Maybe he's... he's lying."

"Did you lie in your interview?" Ryeowook asks Sungmin who is startled because of the question. Ms. Jang anticipates for an answer, because he promised not to lie in his interview. But he chooses to tell the truth and tell that he lied. Ms. Jang shakes her head in disbelief. "But Kyuhyun is the type who does not lie."

"Well, I don't want anyone knowing about all of me. It invades my privacy in a way," Sungmin reasons out and faces Ms. Jang. "I am sorry, Ms. Jang about that. Don't worry, I told eighty percent of the truth about me!"

"How about the ideal type?" Ms. Jang asks.

"It is one-hundred truth! That is my ideal type!" Sungmin replies. "Wait, what did Kyuhyun answer about his ideal type?"

Ryeowook reopens the magazine and looks for it. "It says here: The person who makes me smile the most. This is so vague and too general! How can we know... wait! There's another thing: Someone who I can share my secrets with. Heck, everyone knows his secret already!"

Sungmin scratches his head. "Weird! If everyone has read the secret then... everyone is his ideal type? He's really a jerk. He is obviously lying."

Ms. Jang crosses her arms on her chest. "That Kyuhyun. He tricked me!"

"Yah! Why did you write that secret!?"

The three of them look to the person at the door. It is Kyuhyun and he stops as he sees Sungmin and Ryeowook inside Ms. Jang's office. "Oh great, the rumored guy with a crush on someone from Daehyun."

Ryeowook looks on the ground as Kyuhyun approaches the three of them. Kyuhyun does not mind Sungmin and talks to Ms. Jang. "That wasn't a part of my interview!"

"Oops, busted," Ms. Jang laughs awkwardly.

"So that... that wasn't really part of your interview?" Sungmin questions.

Kyuhyun looks at him. "Obviously not! Why would I tell my secret to anyone?"

Sungmin blinks twice. He remembers how Kyuhyun told him his secret about his special someone who was already studying in the Philippines. Could that be the woman he was talking about, or was he really lying? Maybe... that someone studied in Daehyun but migrated? But he mentioned that someone had been gone long time ago. This is very confusing! "Hey, are you lying about this? And how did Ms. Jang..."

"Well, that," Kyuhyun trails off as he looks away. He easily recovers and asks Sungmin. "Why are you so concerned if I lied? You lied too! Your favorite color is not blue, and it is obviously pink!"

"Guys! Stop that," Ms. Jang interrupts. "Both of you lied about the interview. And I am also at fault because I wrote that based on my observation without Kyuhyun's consent."

"Observation? We thought he revealed it himself? Aish! So confusing!" Sungmin closes his eyes tightly and ruffles his hair.

"He kind of revealed it when I asked him about it, because I observed," Ms. Jang explains. "Well, let us just forget about it! People would stop talking about your secret unless we come up with a cover up!"

"To be honest, I don't care if people continue to talk about it because it will die anyway," Kyuhyun tells everyone. He continues with a soft voice, "Besides, it's true."

Sungmin's heart pounds all of a sudden. He looks at Kyuhyun who is looking far away again. It is very awkward for him because of two reasons. First, he has a crush on Kyuhyun - he does not deny it anymore. He suddenly feels the urge to find out who that unnamed person is just for the sake of knowing it. Second, he knows that Ryeowook also has a crush on Kyuhyun. He knows, as a best friend, that Ryeowook anticipates to know it too.

"That is why I am going to the beach with you. I promise that I will not lie to him nor to myself. I'll be real to my feelings if that is what you want." He recalls those words by Kyuhyun. Maybe those words are his guide to find out.

There is a knock on the door and it makes Sungmin come back to the real world. Ms. Jang tells the person to enter, and it reveals a woman.

"Hi, Ms. Jang? You called me for an interview?" The woman asks. Ms. Jang smiles and lets her in.

Ryeowook whispers to Sungmin. "She's Soorin. She's our school mate, upper batch."

"Oh, she's pretty," Sungmin comments. "She's in college?"

Ryeowook nods. "I think she's a model. She's popular with guys, especially our batch, and of course the college students. She is always invited to model."

"Yes, I called for you," Ms. Jang tells Soorin. "Anyway, you're going to have a photoshoot with Kyuhyun today. I think you know him."

Soorin smiles. "Yes, I do. We have met a lot of times in different photo shoots. We haven't had a chance to pose together though."

"You're doing another photo shoot?" Sungmin cuts in.

"That is why I am here," Kyuhyun answers coldly. "But part of it is to scold Ms. Jang because of that issue."

"That rumor, the one that has been going around since morning?" Soorin confirms from Kyuhyun, and the latter nods in reply. "I don't think it is a bad idea though. That will make you so famous! And besides, it is true, right?"

Kyuhyun smiles sweetly at her. "Yes."

Sungmin looks at the two of them simultaneously. They seem to be friends because the way they exchange stares and all that. Why is my heart beating so fast? He notices. It is the second time. First is just awhile ago. I am nervous. Why am I nervous?

"Uh... Ryeowook, I think... we must go now?" Sungmin turns to Ms. Jang and the others. "We are going now. Thanks for the magazine."

Ms. Jang smiles and bows as a final greeting. "You're welcome. I am really sorry for the trouble that I caused both of you."

Ryeowook is unwilling to go, because, as Sungmin observes, he also wants to know the relationship between Soorin and Kyuhyun. But he has no choice but to go with Sungmin.

When they finally leave the office, Ryeowook speaks, "Maybe... that is the woman that Kyuhyun likes?"

Sungmin chuckles. "Why do you say that? She's obviously not his type!"

"You heard her, right? They have met a lot of times. She is possibly Kyuhyun's crush or something! And she's from Daehyun too. And she might have known another secret of him that not everyone knows! I need to go back-"

"Eh? Wook!" Sungmin pulls Ryeowook's wrist as he tries to go back in. "Don't disturb them! You're just overthinking."

"What if it is true?" Ryeowook asks. "You haven't felt this way before, Sungmin. How can you feel what I am feeling?"

Sungmin is not able to speak. Yes, Ryeowook does not know that he currently has a crush on someone, and probably, it is not advisable to say it to him. But he definitely feels the way Ryeowook feels. He also wants to know if she is the person that Kyuhyun was referring to in the magazine. He also wants to know if there is no chance of changing Kyuhyun's mind and heart about her, because the way he smiles at her is like the sweetest thing ever. The thought squeezes his heart tightly, he doesn't even know why he has to feel that way.

"I'm sorry Sungmin... maybe... I'm just really overthinking," Ryeowook apologizes. "Let's go now."

Sungmin smiles weakly. "Alright."

○●○

It is almost the end of the day. Sungmin stayed with Ryeowook until five in the afternoon. He did not have anything to do anyway. Donghae came over and they talked about a lot of things. It was fun, too, Sungmin realized. He became more excited for the beach trip. He told them that Kyuhyun would go, and what made him go was a secret - he told them that he had his ways. Ryeowook was pleased about that and so was Donghae.

Now, he is on his way home. He feels really weird when he is alone. His whole body is heavy; he doesn't even know why he suddenly feels melancholic.

And it makes him sadder when he sees Kyuhyun with Soorin, about ten meters away from him. They are not walking - they are just staying on one side of the street. He wants to go closer to hear them, but he has to hide because it will be awkward if he would be caught eavesdropping. So he comes closer and hides behind a post.

"I like you, Kyuhyun. You know that, right?" Soorin speaks. "And you know... that interview makes me hope for more, because I am from Daehyun University, and I can make you smile."

Sungmin waits for Kyuhyun to admit it, but he is shocked that Kyuhyun does something unexpected. He pushes her and locks her against the wall. He smirks - Sungmin can see it - it is different from the smile that he gave to her hours ago. "Do you know that I like straightforward people?"

Sungmin's heart beats faster. He becomes nervous again. Damn it! Stop!

Soorin smirks and puts her hand around Kyuhyun's neck. "So... do you like me?"

Kyuhyun looks away for a second then stares back at her. "Too bad, as much as I like straightforward people, I like dense people more. And sorry to burst your bubble, Soorin, but I don't like you. I don't like girls like you in particular. Only one person can make me smile, and unfortunately, that person is not you," he says softly as he removes her hands around his neck and he turns around.

"Why don't you like me?" Soorin asks and Kyuhyun stops. "I am pretty, I am popular! I am every man's dream girl! Why are you different? What makes you different?"

Kyuhyun turns back at her. "What makes me different? Simple. I am not any ordinary guy who falls in love with someone beautiful and someone popular. I am someone who falls in love with someone more than that." Kyuhyun finally leaves her. Sungmin is surprised that Kyuhyun turned down someone like her.

Sungmin's heart stops beating faster than normal. He is not nervous anymore. He is in fact relieved. But why is he feeling giddy?

He grins as he follows Kyuhyun and catches up. "Someone more than beautiful and popular. Woah, so deep. Is that someone a goddess or something?"

Kyuhyun does not mind his question, but he speaks, "I know that you were listening so I avoided mentioning names."

"Unfair! So does this mean it remains a mystery? The person you like?" Sungmin asks.

Kyuhyun nods. "I guess."

"But you know, I have someone in mind who can fit in your description. This person knows your secret, and this person studies in Daehyun University. Most of all, this person makes you smile!" Sungmin pauses and looks at Kyuhyun. "Me?"

Kyuhyun suddenly stops from walking. Sungmin stops as well. "W-What-"

Sungmin laughs and hits Kyuhyun's shoulder hard. "You're too serious! I know that is not me because I am the opposite, and I am certainly not dense!" Sungmin continues to laugh loudly. "Oh well, I'll just think that it is Ryeowook. This is better, right? See you on Sunday!"

Sungmin waves his hand and runs away from Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun just smiles and shakes his head. "I guess I made a mistake. I guess, you're not that dense."

♡♥♡

《Heenim is back!!! All hail the queen! XD Second update for the week! Can't wait to write the last update for the week!》