Chapter 5

He's the One

 

♡♥♡

Chapter 5 - The Start of Something New

♡♥♡

"Whew!"

Donghae struggles to lift his bags until he reaches the room where he is staying for the rest of his high school life. He puts them down on the floor to rest.

He decided to rent an apartment near his school so that he could concentrate in his studies more when he becomes a senior student.

He left his previous apartment that was a forty-five minute travel to Inhwan University. It was owned by his parents' friends so his rent expense were cut into half. It was a good apartment and he was given a VIP treatment too, but Donghae sometimes got late because he would still walk for five minutes to get to the bus station from the apartment. The bus exactly leaves at six forty-five, and his class is at seven thirty in the morning. If he misses the bus, he would wait ror another five minutes, so he would not be able to reach the school on time.

He searched for an apartment a week ago, and fortunately, he found one left near Inhwan. It was also near the Daehyun where Sungmin was studying, and the ice cream parlor where Kyuhyun was working. The terms were okay too, so he decided to formally say goodbye to his parents' friends and explained them his situation. They gladly accepted his decision.

So starting that Saturday, he has a new home. He hopes that everything would go right for him.

He lifts the bag again after resting and opens the room with the key given to him by the caretaker on the ground floor. He is amazed at the room. It is pretty big. But he suddenly misses his real home.

He is originally from Mokpo which is five hours away from Seoul. Being the only child, he experienced to live happily back in Mokpo, and he also studied in an excellent school.

He didn't really plan to leave Mokpo and his school because he loved the place so much, but someone from Inhwan offered him to study there because he was the number one flower boy in their school and he was also rich. His parents were very eager for him to study in Inhwan because of the school's excellent standards and popularity, although it was also known for its high tuition fee. Since his parents owned a restaurant and when he was in middle school, it expanded into a bigger one, they could afford to study in Inhwan. In the end, he left Mokpo and lived away from his parents.

He isn't a spoiled brat, but his parents always give him what he needs. He is very thankful to that, so he tries his best to study hard to make them proud. He works to be in the first section without completely relying on his looks and his money, just like Kyuhyun, who becomes his best friend.

"The place is pretty big, and I have my own kitchen too," Donghae tours around but he suddenly feels his stomach growling. "Woah, I think I must already eat lunch."

It is already twelve in the morning and he did not take breakfast because he was busy packing his things that morning. He decides to get the bag of groceries that he bought while he was on his way.

He cooks his own food so he rarely eats out. He likes to make his own food because he is influenced by his father who is a great chef.

He plans to get a culinary course in college to help run the restaurant. His father approves it, of course.

When he is putting out the ingredients that he bought, he notices that he forgot to buy salt and fresh lettuce. "Aish, I forgot the most important ingredients for my samgyupsal. Ugh, Dad will really get mad at you Donghae!" He says to himself. "Oh well, I'll just buy salt and lettuce outside."

He decides to leave his apartment and go back to the grocery.

○●○

"I'm really bored," Sungmin says as he strolls at the Square. "I have no money to eat. No money to shop. No bad guys to teach a lesson. This is one boring Saturday, indeed."

He already toured the whole place but he had not seen anything to excite him. Neither can he stay at home because his parents will force him to study and to read books again.

His father had his day-off. He usually works on weekends especially if he has an important case to work on to. He has won a huge case the day before so he was allowed to take his day-off and he is whole day at home that Saturday. And as a father, he uses his authority to force Sungmin to study, and it annoys the hell out of Sungmin.

No, he isn't the strict father that everyone perceives. Despite of the fact that he is one of the finest lawyers in Seoul who is respected, is composed, and who acts like a veteran, at home, he is like a best friend to his kids. He is an authoritative father and Sungmin is thankful for that, except if he talks about decreasing his allowance and about studying.

He continues to roam around. Maybe he'll return home before six in the evening if he doesn't get some thing to do.

○●○

"Lettuce, onions, pork belly, tomatoes, chicken , check," Donghae looks inside the bag as he checks all the ingredients that he bought to make sure that  it is already complete. "Fudge, I forgot the salt again!" He puts his palm on his face in disappointment. He dislikes the fact that he usually buys excess things and forgets one ingredient. And that is what happens - he buys more than what he needs, and forgets another ingredient again.

He decides to turn back but he bumps into someone. The paper bag falls and the ingredients nearly roll out the bag. Good thing, he is able to get it fast. When he looks up, he sees a familiar face.

"L-L-Lee Sungmin!" He screams as he stands and walks back. He looks like he sees a ghost in front of him.

Sungmin's eyebrows meet as he laughs, "Eh? Am I a ghost?"

"A-ah, no," Donghae stutters and he scratches his head. "I-I'm sorry." He laughs awkwardly.

"You're funny," Sungmin chuckles. Donghae smiles awkwardly. "I've bumped into a lot of people and I'm sure that I never had that expression on my face."

"It's just that you're famous and all," Donghae explains. "I'm really shocked."

"Well, I don't eat people who bump into me," Sungmin says. "Anyway, are you hurt?"

Donghae shakes his head. "I'm fine, I'm-" Donghae stops as he hears his stomach grumbling. He looks at Sungmin while blushing. "Oops, sorry!"

Sungmin laughs loudly, "You're really funny-" Sungmin fails to continue as his stomach growls as well. "I think we have to hangout and eat somewhere."

Donghae gets excited. His crush, Lee Sungmin, is asking him to hangout. This must be my lucky day! "Sure thing. Where do you want to eat? I'm paying."

"Really!?" Sungmin asks excitedly. At last, a person who makes me laugh appear before me, and he's even paying for my lunch. So great! "Sure thing! I won't say no to that!"

○●○

They ate at a fast-food restaurant. And as promised, Donghae paid their meals. He was overjoyed to have a conversation with Sungmin, his crush.

They stayed there for an hour or so just to eat and have a conversation.

"I never thought you're from Inhwan. You're really funny and kind," Sungmin compliments. "People I know who is from Inhwan are jerks. Especially that one person I always see even if I don't want to, and he makes me want to kick his face everytime I see him."

"What's his name? I might know him and I might also want to kick his face when I see him," Donghae jokes. "Is he handsome?"

"Well, he's kinda popular to girls and to guys, that's more irritating," Sungmin frowns at the thought of Kyuhyun. "While I, I think he is a monster. I don't remember his name, Hyun... Ku... Hun... whatever, but I have a nickname for him. I call him 'Ice Monster'! He makes Inhwan look worse, no offense."

Donghae laughs, "I think I need to meet him and really kick that monster because he makes us look bad."

"Don't worry, Donghae," Sungmin pauses as he bites a mouthful of burger. "You helped in changing my perception from bad to good."

Donghae blushes as he hears his name from Sungmin, and his compliments. This is a weird feeling, but I want to squeal right now. Sungmin's surely different from other girls I met before, Donghae thinks. "I think you need to meet my best friend. You have same perception about other people in Inhwan."

"I'm sure, we'll also be friends!" Sungmin states.

○●○

But Sungmin is wrong.

Donghae forgot that Kyuhyun was not fond of Sungmin. And that he already met Sungmin before, although he just mentioned it to him.

They went to the ice cream parlor to introduce Donghae to Kyuhyun, and the former was shocked Sungmin's reaction. He was all-smiles but then he frowned when he saw Kyuhyun

"You're friends with that monster!?" Sungmin asks. They are currently in the ice cream parlor. Sungmin actually had a bad feeling when they reached the ice cream parlor. He was right when Donghae called Kyuhyun's attention. "Unbelievable. He's a jerk, you're not. How can you be friends with him?"

Donghae smiles, "Well, I'll admit that we are a bit different, but we actually match. He's a good person. You just have to get to know him."

"My best friend says it too," Sungmin shrugs. "Anyway, let's just talk about funny things again. Maybe, I really have to give him a chance, eh?"

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun is observing the two. How did Sungmin get to know Donghae?

He suddenly feels irritated when they both laugh. Sungmin is really laughing loudly, and Donghae's doing then talking. He narrows his eyes as he gets their order. And when he is walking towards them to bring them their orders, Sungmin laughs again as he taps Donghae's arm and the latter blushes. His chest begins to constrict but he decides to go on.

He puts their order on their table with force, so the two stop laughing and glances at Kyuhyun. "The customers are watching you. Can you please stop laughing out loud?" He says with a blank face, trying to keep his annoyance. Then he closes his lips tightly as he clenches his fists as he turns around and walks away from them.

○●○

"Thanks for the lunch and the ice cream, Donghae!" Sungmin grins. "See you again, hopefully!"

Donghae waves his hand and Sungmin waves back. The latter turns around and leaves. When he is completely gone, Donghae goes home and realizes that he forgot about the salt again. "Oh gosh. I forgot the salt again!" He checks his wallet and sees that he spent almost all his money in treating Sungmin. He scratches his head. "Oh well, I'll just ask some from my neighbor. It's more okay to make new friends now."

He knocks on the other room's door and someone shows up. "Yes?"

"Uhm, hello, I'm Donghae," he introduces. "I'm your new neighbor. Can I ask for some salt because I forgot to buy one?"

"Hi Donghae! I'm Ryeowook. Sure thing, wait. I'll just get it," Ryeowook says. He goes to the kitchen and goes back with salt. "Here. Nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too, Ryeowook and thank you for the salt," he smiles and goes back to his room.

♡♥♡