Chapter 7

He's the One

 

♡♥♡

Chapter 7 - To Combine Oil and Water

♡♥♡

"Eh? You're wounded?"

Kyuhyun stares at his bandaged hand. He accidentally cuts himself while picking the broken glasses yesterday. The laceration is not that deep, but it is necessary to put bandage on it.

If he did not see Sungmin placing his arm around Donghae's shoulder, he would not drop the glass. Sungmin has only known Donghae for three days yet he is very comfortable with him.

He really has to stop being overly jealous even though at times, he really can't help it. He has no reason to be jealous because he himself chooses to distant himself to Sungmin and to act like he is very mad at him. It is his fault, so he is to blame.

"Yes," Kyuhyun answers.

"It's weird because I haven't seen you as careless as yesterday. You have never broken any single glass in your entire life," Donghae chuckles. "Sungmin asks me if you have palsied hands."

He did? He was concerned? The thought makes him giddy all of a sudden, but being Kyuhyun, he do""es not react to that.You really have to stop this, Kyuhyun. Sometimes, you have to show that you're happy about it too, the other part of him says.

"I think you won't be able to work well later," Donghae says. "What if we hangout with Sungmin and Ryeowook? You know, I have to introduce you to my new neighbor. He's really amazing. His personality is very similar to yours, except that he is not that cold as you."

"I can work, and I need to."

"Ah, Cho Kyuhyun. Can you stop thinking about work and try to have a rest, even for a day?"

"No."

"Please, Kyu. You're my best friend right? You're willing to help me with Sungmin, right?" Donghae asks again. This time, his real motive comes out.

"No," Kyuhyun gives the same answer. If he is jealous at the sole fact that Donghae and Sungmin are already that close even if they only have known each other for three days, what if Donghae gets closer to him? He can imagine himself breaking every glass at the ice cream parlor to the extent that Manager Han, the ice cream parlor manager, will ask him to pay using all his salary. "Spare me from your nonsense, Lee Donghae."

"It seems like you're talking to yourself, Kyuhyun," Donghae tells him. "I don't see any point in hating Sungmin. You can at least be casual around him. What did he do to you to make you hate him like that?"

Donghae is right. What he is doing is pure nonsense. Maybe he thinks about his pride too much that he doesn't want to give up on acting like he really hates Sungmin just to stop his feelings from growing deeper.

Maybe he shall try giving himself a chance. Maybe there is other ways to keep his feelings from growing. Maybe if he faces Sungmin and approaches him differently, his jealousy would not be as worse.

"Okay fine," Kyuhyun heaves a sigh before continuing, "I'll go. But I'm still not going to help you. Get close to Sungmin on your own." And I'll do it on my own, too.

○●○

Just after classes, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Donghae and Kyuhyun meet at the ice cream parlor. When Kyuhyun is about to go to the employees' lounge near the kitchen, Manager Han tells him to take a dayoff because he is wounded and he might not be able to handle the tray properly because of his wound. Kyuhyun has no choice but to sit with Donghae and the other two, just like what Donghae planned hours ago.

"So, you already met Ryeowook yesterday, right?" Donghae starts the conversation. He is seated beside Kyuhyun, and Sungmin and Ryeowook are seated on the adjacent chairs. "He is my neighbor, Kim Ryeowook. And you know Lee Sungmin, right?"

Kyuhyun nods. Sungmin stares at Kyuhyun. He seems like he is a bit different that time.

"Hello, I'm Ryeowook, nice to meet you," Ryeowook introduces.

Kyuhyun observes that he is bowing down too much. Ryeowook doesn't look at him at all. Is he this shy? "Ah, yes," Kyuhyun says thriftily. He also notices that he blushes. Weird.

"Good thing you're here with us, Mr. Workaholic," Sungmin speaks.

He even got another nickname for me, Kyuhyun thinks. "If only Manager Han allowed me to work, I would not join you."

Donghae hits him secretly with his elbow. Kyuhyun glares at Donghae. "Anyway, shall we order?"

"Your treat? Oh gosh, Lee Donghae. You're really something," Sungmin gets excited again. Calm yourself, Cho Kyuhyun. Calm yourself for heaven's sake, he tells himself. He rolls his eyes as he sees Sungmin grinning widely. Then he glances at Ryeowook who is giggling while looking at Donghae who is scratching the back of his head while blushing and while smiling. I guess, this Ryeowook guy is also into it, and he agreed to it. Why in the world would a best friend set up his best friend to a guy that he barely knows?

Donghae calls the waiter and orders. "Kyuhyun? What about you?"

"Pass," Kyuhyun answers.

"It's free, why are you refusing it?" Sungmin interjects. "You shall not say no to anything that is free."

Kyuhyun gives him a cold stare. "I'm not like you."

Sungmin snorts. "Damn you."

"Sungmin!" Ryeowook scolds Sungmin then bows to apologize to Kyuhyun. "I-I'm sorry, Kyuhyun."

"Hmph," Sungmin crosses his arms as he looks away.

There is a dead air, so Donghae breaks it. "Ryeowook, you're the top of your class, right?"

Ryeowook blushes as he shyly nods. "Yes. I'm doing it for my parents. I want to study abroad after graduating from high school, so I am trying my best to get a scholarship grant because we can't afford it."

"Wow, you're awesome, Ryeowook," Donghae compliments. Kyuhyun's eyebrows meet as he hears Donghae. It is as if he is overreacting. "Do you know that Kyuhyun plans to go abroad too to study that is why he is working and studying at the same time?"

Even if it is just half of the reason why he is working and studying at the same time, he does not correct it anymore. Donghae doesn't know about Jino and his past. He never told anyone about that because he does not want to be pitied.

"That is much cooler," Ryeowook comments, but he is still not looking at Kyuhyun.

Both of them are so suspicious, Kyuhyun thinks. Donghae and Sungmin are actually the ones who are doing all the talking. Sungmin isn't talking, and so is Kyuhyun. There is awkwardness between them. Both of them choose not to speak. So Donghae makes a way to involve them both.

"Sungmin, how about you? What's your dream in life?" Donghae asks Sungmin. He succeeds in getting Sungmin's attention again.

"I don't have a dream. I just want to live the present and enjoy life, like what I am doing today. What life gives me, I'll accept it. As long as I am happy and contented," Sungmin tells them seriously.

Kyuhyun stares at Sungmin.What happened to his dream of being a lawyer in the future? You've dreamed of it, right, Sungmin? What happened?"You didn't have a dream when you were younger? To become a teacher, or a doctor, or," Kyuhyun pauses for a second as Sungmin stares at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun continues, "a lawyer?" Sungmin looks away. "What's the point of being a lawyer if becoming a normal citizen is much better? Besides, it's just a name that looks and sounds good, but it's just an outside appearance," Sungmin says and looks back at Kyuhyun. "I dreamed of becoming a lawyer but I realize that I can help anyone even without that word attached to my name."

There is a long silence afterwards. Donghae breaks the ice when he sees their orders coming. "Yes, it's here!"

The waiter serves the ice cream. When he nearly loses the grip of Sungmin's order, Kyuhyun acts immediately and stops the glass from falling by supporting the glass with his wounded hand.

"You're wounded?" Sungmin asks as he sees Kyuhyun's bandaged hand. To Kyuhyun's shock, Sungmin grabs his hand and stares at it. "This must be because of yesterday."

It seems that the world stops for Kyuhyun as he is looking at Sungmin who is holding his hand. His heart beats fast for the third time. Maybe he has to really give myself a chance to know him better. Maybe they are getting nearer to that point...

Kyuhyun pulls his hand as he looks away, "I-It's the reason why I wasn't able to work. You only notice it now?"

...but it's not yet the right moment.

♡♥♡

~I know guys, I know and I'm sorry for a lot of things. But it is really getting nearer. Let's just wait patiently.~