Chapter 30

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 30 - Let's Catch the Culprit!

♡♥♡

Sungmin has been pacing for almost five minutes now. He is determined to catch the culprit as soon as possible. Whatever the motive of that person is, he still needs to know why he or she is doing it.

"If you still keep on doing that, we'd not be able to finish," Kyuhyun says. "I know you are really eager to catch that person but we still have things to do, you know?"

"Kyuhyun is right, Sungmin," Manager Han agrees to Kyuhyun. "We can plan later, you know. Or it might only be a misunderstanding."

Sungmin stops and looks at Manager Han. He shakes his head. "I really have a feeling that this is a sabotage. I could not be a misunderstanding. And if it is the drunk man who does this, it would be partly my fault that this happened."

Donghae taps his shoulder and smiles at him. "You don't have to blame yourself though."

But Sungmin cannot be convinced that easily. He has a crazy plan in his mind, and he needs to execute it no matter what. However, he needs the cooperation of the rest.

"I have a plan. What if-"

"Not now, Sungmin. Just do your work and stop thinking about it first. That's an order," Manager Han finally commands. Sungmin has no choice but to comply. He continues to mop the floor where some paint spilled. To be honest, it is quite strenuous to do so. Not that he is getting lazy - he just can't remove the marks on the floor. After a while, Manager Han starts to speak again. "Oh, I forgot to tell you that for the next three weeks, there will be some guys who will bring in new tables and chairs and will do overall construction."

"Yes, more people!" Sungmin exclaimed happily. That means lesser work for us, he thinks and grins.

Ugh, more people to have eyes on Sungmin, Kyuhyun thinks and narrows his eyes with the idea.

"Oh, so everyone's working hard," A woman enters the ice cream parlor. Kyuhyun and Sungmin recognizes the same woman who talked to Manager Han. The latter invites her to his office. The woman follows Manager Han.

"She's that woman, right?" Sungmin whispers to Kyuhyun. "I really have a bad feeling about this. What is she even doing here?"

Kyuhyun, startled, is not able to react fast. "W-Who knows?"

"Who is that woman? Do you know her?" Donghae asks.

"Ah, she's-"

"We don't know," Kyuhyun cuts in and answers in behalf of Sungmin. He looks at Sungmin and impliedly asks him to keep quiet because they are not sure if they can tell Manager Han's secret to others. "Right Sungmin?"

"A-Ah, right," Sungmin smiles awkwardly. Donghae just nods.

After a few minutes, the woman walks out from the manager's office. Her face is a bit dark. Manager Han must have said something bad to her or she lost in an argument again. Manager Han goes out as well after another minute.

"Who's that, Manager Han?" Donghae asks. "She's rich, I can say. Is she your wife?"

Manager Han laughs. "Oh, so I look like a rich man," he jokes. "Anyway, no, but supposedly a wife-to-be. It's a long story. Just ask Kyuhyun or Sungmin about it."

"You said you don't know her!" Donghae says to Kyuhyun.

"Well, Manager Han might not want to tell it to others," Kyuhyun explains. "So it is better not to disclose the secrets at all."

"Alibis," Sungmin chuckles and Kyuhyun glares at him. "I'm joking."

"Okay guys, keep on working. We still have a lot of things to do," says Manager Han.

Donghae and Sungmin answer in unison. "Yes, Sir!"

○●○

"How's your flower doing, Sungmin?" Donghae asks Sungmin who stops from eating his lunch. He remembers that he still does not have a flower to grow. And weirdly enough, he panics - again.

"Damn it. That reminds me. I didn't have money left so I was not able to buy seeds," Sungmin answers. Then his face lit up all of a sudden as he looks back at Donghae. "Donghae, I have a small favor to ask. Can I borrow some money to buy a seed?"

Donghae smiles and nods without hesitation. "Of course. I think there is enough money left for the seed. But the problem is I can't lend you more for the fertilizer, soil and others. And I'll just give it to you tomorrow because I do not have money with me right now."

"No problem," Sungmin grins. After a few moments, Kyuhyun enters the pantry where Sungmin and Donghae are. Sungmin informs Kyuhyun about Donghae's help. And Kyuhyun is not pleased, obviously. "You know what? Donghae says he's going to lend me money to buy a seed. What a considerate friend!"

Kyuhyun does not react.

"Unlike some people who don't care at all," Sungmin says, trying to catch Kyuhyun's attention who is seated beside Donghae and is eating his lunch.

"He spoils you. I don't consider it as being considerate," Kyuhyun murmurs and looks at Donghae. "Is it okay with you? You're always spoiling him too much, you know?"

Donghae grins. "Yes, it's Sungmin anyway!"

"See?" Sungmin looks at Kyuhyun then at Donghae. "Donghae is really a considerate friend. This is why I like him. Thank you, Donghae."

Donghae blushes as he scratches the back of his head. "It's nothing, really!"

Kyuhyun suddenly stands and takes his lunch with him without saying anything. He leaves Donghae and Sungmin who exchange confused stares at each other.

Kyuhyun eats outside the pantry and Manager Han sees him.

"What's the problem?" Manager Han asks and sits in front of Kyuhyun. "You're jealous again?"

"I swore that I wouldn't be jealous again, right, Manager Han?" asks Kyuhyun. "But the two of them really... piss me off."

"You're so insecure, Kyuhyun," Manager Han laughs. Kyuhyun frowns at the comment. "Whatever your reason is, I think it's time to face it."

Kyuhyun sighs. "I guess you're right. I think it's time for me to do it. You said that you're going to have more people to work next week right? Can I take this opportunity to take a leave? I promise that I'll be back after a month."

"You know Kyuhyun," Manager Han taps his shoulder. "You're the best employee here and I am just waiting for you to say that. You've worked so hard and you deserve a break. You can take a leave on Wednesday."

"You're taking a leave?" Sungmin, who just arrives, hears their conversation about Kyuhyun's plan about taking a leave. He suddenly feels down without him knowing why. Why is he even affected that Kyuhyun would take a leave for a month? It's just a month. And where can Kyuhyun possibly go aside from his house? "You're not telling us anything."

"Well, I deserve a break," Kyuhyun says plainly as he closes his lunch box. "Why, are you going to miss me?"

Manager Han secretly chuckles when he sees Sungmin while blushing. Kyuhyun was not able to see it because he was looking at his lunch box when he said that.

"No! Miss your face, you dork," Sungmin murmurs as he looks away. "Go ahead and leave, I don't care." Sungmin turns around and goes back to the pantry.

"Look, you made him angry," Manager Han laughs hardly. "I really have this feeling that Sungmin is starting to be in denial."

Kyuhyun curiously glances at Manager Han. "In denial of what?"

Manager Han just smiles and leaves Kyuhyun.

○●○

"Geez, that guy annoys me. Why would I even miss that stupid looking cold-hearted dork?" Sungmin talks to himself while washing his hands. "As if I would care if he leaves. Go and leave forever, I don't care!"

"Hey, Sungmin, why are you talking to yourself?" Donghae chuckles as he hears Sungmin murmuring to himself. "And who's leaving?"

Sungmin closes the faucet and faces Donghae. "Your best friend! He's taking a month leave."

Donghae is shocked, but after a while, he feels happy. Of course because he and Sungmin would only be the ones left working until next week, that means more time to spend the vacation with Sungmin. He grins like an idiot, and Sungmin sees it.

"Eh!? Why are you smiling? You're happy?" Sungmin asks.

Donghae nods. "Of course."

"Well I'm not because-" He stops. Why am I not happy?  Kyuhyun always teases me and it is a bit annyoing. And Sungmin, before you really don't want to see him! Oh yes, it's because of the work. Less people, more work for me! Yes, that is it! "B-Because he'd leave us with more work to do!"

"You have a point there," Donghae agrees. "But Kyuhyun has been working for a long time now that he isn't able to enjoy his youth. I don't know the reason about it but he is really pushing himself to hard."

Sungmin remains silent. He remembers what Kyuhyun said to him before.

"It is useless to spend on such things. I would rather buy food, or save it in a bank, or invest."

Why is he pushing himself so hard? He's studying to get good grades. He's working to earn money. He doesn't even spend things for himself and he doesn't have any leisure. Why are you doing this, Kyuhyun? He realizes that Donghae is right. Maybe Kyuhyun really deserves a break.

○●○

It's already seven o'clock when they start packing up. Sungmin, on the other hand, tells Manager Han that he is going home earlier. Manager Han allows him.

"Sungmin, let's go together!" Donghae calls him. "I'll just-"

"No, it's okay," Sungmin says and waves goodbye at everyone. "I'll go now! Later!"

Sungmin rushes out the ice cream parlor. Kyuhyun just stares at him until he's gone. Sungmin has not been talking to him since he learned that he's taking a leave. And it bothers him.

After an hour, they close the ice cream parlor. Manager Han is the first person who leaves, followed by Donghae. Kyuhyun decides to go to a convenience store to buy something for dinner because he forgot to buy groceries. When he leaves the convenience store, he sees Sungmin rushing towards a dark alley beside the ice cream parlor. What makes Kyuhyun curious is that Sungmin is lifting an unassembled tent.

He secretly follows him. He catches him while assembling the tent.

"What are you doing?"

Sungmin nearly jumps in shock. He turns around and sees Kyuhyun. "Damn it! You surprised me!"

Kyuhyun stares at Sungmin until he completely assembles the tent. "You're not planning to sleep here to catch the person responsible for the sabotage, are you?"

Sungmin opens the tent and enters. "I asked your cooperation but you didn't listen so I'd rather do this by myself."

"Okay then, good luck," Kyuhyun says and prepares to leave, but Sungmin pulls him back. He blushes when he ends up sitting beside Sungmin inside the tent. "What the hell?"

"Since you're here, you can at least keep me awake," Sungmin suggests. Kyuhyun tries to go out from the tent. "Hey! I thought you're helping me! Don't leave me here!"

Kyuhyun does not speak but instead, he walks away.

"You scaredy cat!" Sungmin yells, but Kyuhyun does not mind him. "Ugh, he's really..."

However, after a few minutes, Sungmin sees Kyuhyun coming back, holding a plastic bag of a microwavable dinner, some snacks and canned coffee. Sungmin grins as he realizes that it is for him, and Kyuhyun is joining him. Kyuhyun speaks as he enters the tent. "You really don't stop until you catch people who are causing disturbance."

"Of course," Sungmin says. "But why did you come back?"

"This seems pretty exciting," Kyuhyun answers plainly. After a few minutes, they both face the open side of the tent and searches for any suspecting person. "Eat your dinner. It's getting cold."

"Hey, yours is getting cold too," Sungmin comments as he gets his food. "Wow. My favorite sushi! How did you know this is my favorite?"

"How would I know? It's a wild guess," he lies. The truth is, he read somewhere in the magazine where Sungmin was featured that he liked tuna sushi.

Sungmin buys it. "Okay, if you say so. You're always defensive. One time you're stalking me, the next thing is you're buying me my favorite sushi."

"You're delusional," Kyuhyun looks away as Sungmin teases. "Anyway, since when are you planning to stay here? What if the culprit arrives at midnight? Or at three in the morning?"

"I don't care. I had a promise to myself that I would catch the culprit no matter what," Sungmin replies. "How about you, since when are you planning to stay here?" Sungmin asks back.

Kyuhyun does not answer, but he takes his food and opens the container. Sungmin keeps on bothering him so he asks back, "Why were you ignoring me hours ago?" 

Sungmin is startled with that question. "I was not ignoring you, alright? I have nothing to talk to you about, you know?"

"If you say so," says Kyuhyun as he continues to eat.

It is already twelve in the midnight. They have been eating and drinking coffee for hours but the culprit hasn't shown up yet. Sungmin keenly searches for any suspicious person who gets near to the ice cream parlor. Kyuhyun is also helping. "I think that person is not going to appear anymore. I am losing hope."

However, one black car stops in front of the ice cream parlor. Someone alights from the car. Sungmin furrows his eyebrows when he sees that it is the Manager Han's ex-fiancee. She is holding a key to the ice cream parlor.

"What the hell? She has the key!?" It is Sungmin. "I can't let this. She even got the key!" Sungmin crawls out from the tent, but Kyuhyun stops him. "Let me go, Kyuhyun!"

"Can't you see?" Kyuhyun asks him softly as he points to the car. "She's the daughter of the owner so of course, she would have a key. And she has body guards with her. They are probably trained well and they probably have guns so we can't just-"

"Watch me, Kyuhyun," Sungmin says and tries to go out once again, but Kyuhyun pulls him and pushes him to the ground. "W-What are you doing!? Let me go-"

Kyuhyun jumps over him and holds his two hands, one on each side. Sungmin blushes as he realizes that Kyuhyun's face is only a feet away from his face. "I don't want you to risk your life for this, Lee Sungmin."

Sungmin closes his eyes tightly to prevent himself from seeing Kyuhyun. " You can't understand me, Kyuhyun. I am stronger than you and I can beat them all! I can do it all by myself. The ice cream parlor is important to Manager Han and I can't let anyone take this away from him!"

"Manager Han is important to me as well so I'll go with you, Sungmin. Don't think that you only have yourself to do it. I know that you're strong enough but I can't let you go alone because you're my friend and I don't want anyone to hurt you," Kyuhyun says. Sungmin does not speak but he opens his eyes as Kyuhyun gets out from the tent. He sees Kyuhyun's hand stretched towards him. He gladly takes it.

They go to the ice cream parlor to confront the woman. They are expecting for the bodyguards to attack them but they are surprised when another van comes and the bodyguards take the construction material from the van to the ice cream parlor. Sungmin asks the woman why she does that, and she replies that she is already giving up. She also reveals that Manager Han knows that she was the one who did the sabotage last night but he didn't blame her. So she was so upset when Manager Han didn't take it to the heart. He even said that he hurt her so much that he deserved to be out from the ice cream parlor, and he was renovating the ice cream parlor not because of her threat but because he loves the ice cream parlor. So she decided to give up on making him suffer because he had moved on already, why could she not do that?

The woman asks them to keep everything from Manager Han, but Sungmin jokes that the manager would eventually know it.

When the woman and the other leave, Sungmin and Kyuhyun help each other to disassemble the tent.

"This is weird. I thought we could kick their asses off," Kyuhyun comments. Sungmin remains quiet. "Hey, why are you quiet?"

Sungmin does not answer again. He folds the unassembled tent and lifts it.

"Are you already sleeping or..."

"Kyuhyun," Sungmin suddenly speaks and faces Kyuhyun. "Since you told me that you're my friend... can you lend me your planting tools and some fertilizer and-"

Kyuhyun laughs loudly. "So that's what you are thinking about right now?"

Sungmin nods. "Please?"

Kyuhyun smirks as he hears the magic word. "What again? I can't hear you."

"Please?" Sungmin repeats. When Kyuhyun asks him to repeat it for the third time, he glares at him. "Stop making a fool out of me."

"Who says I'm making a fool out of you?" Kyuhyun asks. "Since you said 'please,' then let's go."

"Where?" Sungmin asks. He freezes when Kyuhyun holds his wrist and pulls him.

"To my house," Kyuhyun says and pulls him. Sungmin has no choice but to follow him. They reach the house and Kyuhyun shows him a pot with a sprout. "I saw a seed last time and it is a marigold seed. You can have it."

Sungmin's eyes widened in excitement. "R-Really!? You planted this for me?"

"No," Kyuhyun denies it even if it is the truth. "It just happens that I have a seed of marigold so don't think I planted it for you. And besides, you have to take care of it or I'll take it back."

"I promise," Sungmin says and holds the pot. "Now can I go home now? I'll just get the fertilizer tomorrow and-"

"Nope, you're staying here. It's already late," Kyuhyun declares.

"B-but-"

"No buts, Lee Sungmin," Kyuhyun says. "And don't worry, I'll let you sleep on the sofa or you can assemble the tent inside the house. If you don't then I'll take the plant back."

"You're good in blackmailing," Sungmin finally gives up. "Fine."

♡♥♡

《SLEEPOVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Kyuhyun is still being sheepish, can you tell?》