Chapter 6

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 6 - Friendship in a Box: Sungmin's Story

♡♥♡

"Let's go to the ice cream parlor later after classes," Sungmin says to Ryeowook who is busy studying for an exam. Thinking that he misheard it, he looks at Sungmin almost immediately and looks at him skeptically. Sungmin notices it so he raises his eyebrows. "What?"

"No... way," Ryeowook holds his best friend shoulders and makes Sungmin face him. "Is that for real? Are you really my best friend? What have you done to him?"

Sungmin laughs and pushes Ryeowook lightly. "This is one and only Mr. Handsome Face Lee Sungmin. Your number one best friend, who else?"

"But why are you... I mean... ice cream parlor?" Ryeowook loses coherence because until that time he cannot believe it. Sungmin, his best friend who hates Kyuhyun, asked him to go to the ice cream parlor where the latter is working. "Are... are you serious?"

"I'm sure. Why, don't you want to see your beloved Ice Monster?" Sungmin teases his best friend who blushes at his question.

"I thought you hate Kyuhyun? Well, based on how you called him, I think you still do," Ryeowook pauses then continues after going back to his seat. "A-and he's just my... c-crush."

Sungmin smirks and walks in front of Ryeowook's table. He puts his hands on the table's edge and leans forward to Ryeowook, "Crush? Only a crush? Well I think it won't take long," Sungmin says. Ryeowook looks at Sungmin and his eyebrows meet. Sungmin chuckles. "Because it will eventually turn into love."

Ryeowook feels that his blood rushes to his cheeks. "So does that mean you approve of Kyuhyun?" Sungmin stands straight and crosses his arms as he looks away. "Actually I don't, but as long as you're happy, I'm willing to support you. I'm just going to teach him a lesson if he treats you badly."

Ryeowook smiles. His best friend really cares for him. "Thank you. Okay, let's go to the ice cream parlor later."

○●○

Kyuhyun sighs as he sees Sungmin and the other guy who was with him when Sungmin went to the ice cream parlor two weeks ago. He still feels something weird about the other guy, because his aura is very mysterious.

He is actually surprised that Sungmin is there. He smiles inside his head, but remains expressionless outside. He is really happy to see him everyday, and lately, they are meeting coincidentally.

For the last two weeks, starting the day when Sungmin got his magazine, their meeting becomes frequent. And no, he is not even planning it. It just happens. Now, he is there. Is fate really leading them together?

He erases the thought as he attends to Sungmin and his friend (it is safe to call the other guy that way) who had chosen a good spot to sit. "What do you want for dessert?"

"It's strawberry parfait for me, again," Sungmin says without looking at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun nods as he looks at Sungmin's friend. "Wook, what's yours?"

He called him with his nickname. That means they're close. Kyuhyun has this thought on him. But he is really wondering why he isn't feeling jealous that Sungmin is close to him. Something is not right. Something about this guy makes it weird.

"I-I'll have... chocolate... I-I mean," the guy stutters. "I'll have banana split with triple chocolate."

He's stuttering. And he seems like avoiding me.

Kyuhyun raises an eyebrow almost unnoticeable. The other guy is looking at Sungmin, while the latter looks like he is talking to him using his eyes. "Okay, I'll just get it for you."

When Kyuhyun makes his way back to the counter to get their orders, he is amazed at himself because he didn't make Sungmin annoyed or something. It feels good, to be honest to himself. He only wishes he can stay that long, especially when Donghae arrives later.

He feels threatened about Donghae when he learned that Sungmin knows him already. And according to Donghae, they are in good terms. Sungmin and Donghae met last Saturday and he enthusiastically told Kyuhyun what happened, even if he had seen almost half of Donghae's story.

He knows that he can't stop Donghae or Sungmin from knowing each other. The three of them are tied in a knot now. And what Kyuhyun has to do is to act in impromptu - to go with the flow.

○●○

Donghae smiles widely as he sees his new neighbor at the ice cream parlor. He is about to call him when he sees Sungmin with Ryeowook. He curiously approaches them. Why is Ryeowook with Sungmin?

As he is walking towards them, he notices that the two are very close. They are laughing together, they are talking as if they have known each other for a long time. And based on the uniforms that they are wearing, they are school mates.

"Hello, Sungmin!" He greets Sungmin first. Ryeowook glances at Donghae and the latter smiles at the former and greets him as well, "Hi, Ryeowook!"

"You know each other?" Sungmin asks.

Ryeowook nods. Donghae sits beside Sungmin. "Wow, small world. I just moved in at the apartment where Ryeowook is staying and we're neighbors."

"Yes, and he actually asked for salt last Saturday, so we met," Ryeowook continues Donghae's story.

Sungmin glances at Donghae. "But you went to the grocery last time right?"

"A-ah," Donghae shyly smiles as he scratches the back of he's head. "I always tend to forget a lot of important things."

Sungmin laughs loudly. "Here that goes that cute gesture of yours, Donghae."

Donghae blushes. Ryeowook smiles as he notices it. "I guess you're in good terms."

"Yes. Donghae is actually the one who makes Inhwan look good, at least in my point of view," Sungmin shares. "Do you know that he is Ice Monster's best friend?"

Ryeowook nearly covers his mouth in shock. "R-really?"

Donghae notices that Ryeowook is also blushing when they are talking about Kyuhyun. Speaking of the Ice Monster, he arrives with Sungmin and Ryeowook's dessert.

"Yey! Strawberry!" Sungmin claps like a child as Kyuhyun places his order on the table. Ryeowook smiles at Kyuhyun and thanks him.

Kyuhyun secretly smiles at the delighted Sungmin.

"Oh, Kyuhyun! Have you met Ryeowook already? He's my new neighbor," Donghae asks Kyuhyun.

Ryeowook shyly speaks and greets Kyuhyun, "Hi..."

Kyuhyun nods to acknowledge it, but he does not say a word to greet him back. After a while, he tells them that he is going to serve other customers already and leaves.

Sungmin rolls his eyes when Kyuhyun leaves. "Is your best friend really your best friend? I swear, he is not like you, Donghae. He is so cold to people and he really annoys me. I know you told me to give him a chance. I'm trying but I think I'm going to fail."

"Well, Kyuhyun really gives off an 'I-don't-care' aura, and is usually cold, but when you get to know him a lot, he's kind-hearted," Donghae tells them. "We're north and south, but we have a lot of similarities, too. He's just like that because he is not used to many friends."

"Sungmin may look like it but in fact, he only has one best friend, me," Ryeowook says. "We have different personalities, but we also match."

"I'm suddenly curious about your friendship," Donghae says.

"We actually met when we were in our freshman year. Sungmin's really being feared by a lot of students because everyone knew that he was a son of a famous lawyer, and no one messes around him because he knew martial arts. Some said negative things about him. So students were afraid to befriend him," Ryeowook narrates. Sungmin glares at Ryeowook who in turn laughs softly. "He tried befriending a lot of people, but no one really wanted to. Back then, he was alone, but he seemed not sad at all. He could handle himself well.

"Then time came when we met. A group of bullies were teasing me when I was on my way to the apartment. I was lifting a big box full of manga and other CD's so when one person kicked me, I fell on the ground. The mangas and CD's also fell. I cried because they were my most favorite collections. They laughed at me and mocked me because I was already fifteen years old back then, and Sungmin heard it from somewhere. He suddenly appeared, protecting me from the bullies. The bullies ran away because they knew it was Sungmin. Then Sungmin approached me and helped me in putting the mangas and CD's inside the box. At first, I was afraid of him because he was very serious in helping me and because I knew how other students talked about him. But then he saw a manga that sparked his interest too. He asked me about it and told him that it was my favorite. Sungmin told me that it was his favorite too. After that, he saw my collection of jazz CD's, and he was also interested in those. Our friendship began there as we exchanged stories about other mangas. He volunteered to help me and we talked on my way back to the apartment. After that, we become friends and eventually best friends," Ryeowook finishes the story. "Even though we are not alike, our interests just match."

"Wow, just because of a box of manga and CD's you became instant friends," Donghae says. "Sungmin's really something. He's a hero, not a foe, like what other people say."

Sungmin laughs again at Donghae's statement. After a while, he hears a ring from his phone and sees a text message from a store that he subscribed to, telling him that there was a sale today. Sungmin, being Sungmin, tells Ryeowook that he will check it. "Ryeowook, can we go to the shop three blocks away before going home? I really want to see what I can buy."

"But Sungmin, my parents will call me at six so I have to be home at six, I'm sorry," Ryeowook regrets that he cannot go with Sungmin because it's already five-thirty in the afternoon.

Sungmin sighs. "It's alright, Wook. Since I was the one who urged to go here, I would have to walk you home. I'll just check it out tomorrow-"

"Go and check it out, Sungmin," Donghae cuts Sungmin's words. "We have the same apartment, remember? We can go home together."

"Are you sure, Donghae? Wook?" He looks at Ryeowook and the latter smiles as he nods. "Oh my gosh, Donghae, you're the best!" Sungmin puts his arm around Donghae and taps his shoulder. Donghae nearly squeaks in shock but he controls himself. Then they hear a sound of a breaking glass somewhere. They are surprised to see Kyuhyun who caused the breaking. He cleans the mess and excuses himself to go to the kitchen. Sungmin curiously asks, "Does he have palsied hands?"

"I think not," Donghae replies. "He is very careful when it comes to work. It's really weird, because he literally cannot break a glass."

"I wonder if he's okay," Ryeowook worriedly utters.

"He is, don't worry," Donghae assures him. "I know him. He won't let himself hurt."

After a few minutes, they leave the ice cream parlor.

Sungmin speaks, "Donghae, I'm really thankful. Please take care of Wook, okay? I'll return the favor next time."

Donghae blushes as he hears the words 'next time,' meaning, Sungmin is looking forward to their next meeting. The latter bids goodbye to them and goes ahead, while Donghae and Ryeowook walk towards the opposite direction.

"Uhm, Ryeowook, would you mind me asking," Donghae hesitates to continue, but after a few seconds he continues. "Is Sungmin really just a best friend?"

Ryeowook glances at Donghae. "What do you mean?"

"Well... it's like this... it's actually weird to have this feeling but I have a crush on your best friend," Donghae confesses.

Ryeowook giggles. "It's okay, Sungmin's just a best friend. And besides, I have the same feeling towards Kyuhyun," says Ryeowook. When he realizes that he slipped, he covers his mouth and then he covers his whole face with his two hands. "Oh my, I slipped. Please don't tell Kyuhyun!"

Donghae chuckles. "Don't worry, I won't, and please don't tell Sungmin too. I don't want to ruin our friendship," he says. Then he comes up with an idea. "What about we join forces... I mean, let's help each other to get closer to them? What do you think?"

"Well, there's no harm in trying, you know, let's do it," he agrees to help Donghae.

"Let's have a plan, but before that," Donghae smirks, "we have to convince the two of them to reconcile first, right?"

Ryeowook nods in agreement.

♡♥♡