Chapter 24

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 24 - First Day of Work: Ups and Downs

♡♥♡

"I can't believe that I am excited to work!"

Kyuhyun, who is getting his things from the locker provided for the employees, secretly glances at Sungmin who is getting himself ready as well. Meanwhile, Donghae smiles at Sungmin.

"That's because it is your first job," Donghae says. "Good thing, the manager approved you immediately."

Kyuhyun sighs as he finally takes out all his things and closes the locker door. Manager Han is surely helping him. Well, not quite, since Donghae is also there. The manager does not know about Donghae's feelings for Sungmin, although it is not that difficult to see. Only Sungmin is näive and dense to see that.

"I can't wait to try on this uniform," Sungmin happily tells the two as he holds his uniform. "I am too damn hot in this."

"Such a narcissist," Kyuhyun comments as he takes all his things with him and goes towards the door. He doesn't want anyone seeing him change his clothes, so he usually changes in the restroom or somewhere without people. But then, he remembers that Donghae is still there, and Sungmin might change his clothes inside the employee lounge. He glances back again at Sungmin who has his hands on the hem of the shirt that he is wearing as he is ready to remove it. Kyuhyun takes a quick glance on Donghae who seems waiting for Sungmin. He looks back at Sungmin who is pulling the hem up, revealing one-fourth of his upper body. "N-no, don't change here!" He clears his throat when Sungmin and Donghae turn their gazes at him. He blinks twice and continues to speak, "Hello, it is unethical to do that here."

"Why? We're all guys here," Sungmin reasons out. He still pulls his shirt up to his mid-upper body. Kyuhyun gulps as he almost runs in front of Donghae, covering his view.

Donghae bends to his left but Kyuhyun imitates him and bends to his right to block Donghae's view. Donghae's eyebrows meet when Kyuhyun blocks his view again when he bends on the opposite side. "What!?" Donghae mutters almost silently while he continues peeking at Sungmin. Kyuhyun does the same thing again.

"I... I think your uniform does not fit you, yeah, right," It is his alibi. When he already knows that Sungmin has worn the uniform already, he gets out of the way. "I think I need to get you a smaller size."

Donghae irritably pushes Kyuhyun away. "Aish, you," Donghae closes his eyes and bows to the ground. "What the?"

"Donghae, aren't you going to change? You too Kyuhyun?" Sungmin asks the two. He finally puts on his vest and bow tie.

"Uh, yes, Sungmin, I will," Donghae says as he looks at Sungmin then at Kyuhyun. "I will strangle you."

"Okay then. I will go outside now," Sungmin tells them. Donghae nods and awkwardly smiles while Kyuhyun just looks away. When Sungmin finally closes the door behind him, Donghae pushes Kyuhyun jokingly.

"It was my chance to see him ," Donghae whines.

Kyuhyun glares at Donghae. "You ert minded ."

Donghae is shocked to hear Kyuhyun cursing. "Huh? It is my first time hearing you curse."

Kyuhyun keeps his glare on Donghae, this time, fiercer. "You will hear it from me a lot of times if you continue that." Kyuhyun leaves. Donghae just shrugs.

○●○

This is irritating, Kyuhyun thinks. He can't help himself to watch Sungmin while working. The latter's smile is refreshing while serving the customers. Almost all customers keep on looking at him, and some are, well, swooning over him.

He looks like a typical flower boy character in an animé or a manga. The uniform, a plain polo shirt with a bow tie, a black vest and black slacks, suits him well. Kyuhyun admits that. No one can resist not looking at him even for a second.

And it irritates Kyuhyun. He dislikes it when anyone looks at Sungmin with admiration, just like he does. He is selfish like that.

He is currently wiping the ice cream glasses at the bar counter near the kitchen, and if he is not careful enough - and also due to looking at Sungmin - he would drop one or two. He then looks at Donghae who smiles at Sungmin. Sungmin waves back at Donghae then at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun just concentrates in wiping the glasses as Sungmin catches him looking at him.

"Well, look at all my employees. Dazzling boys. Female customers would die just to see you guys," Manager Han laughs as he taps Kyuhyun's shoulder. The manager looks at Sungmin who is very enthusiastic and lively while attending to the customer. "What does it feel, Kyuhyun?"

Kyuhyun gives him a 'what' look.

Manager Han smiles. "How do you feel that Sungmin is closer to you right now? I mean, he is now working here."

"He'll go once he gets his money to buy the seeds for his project," Kyuhyun tells the manager, not exactly answering the latter's question. "And besides, Donghae is here."

"Oh, so Donghae is a rival? I thought so," Manager Han nods. "What are you planning to do with it?"

"I have no plans," Kyuhyun answers, trying to cut the discussion.

Manager Han nods again. "Alright then, Kyuhyun. But then, a piece of advice. Donghae is a tight competitor. Even if he is your best friend, you have to compete in order for you to be happy. I think you need to work now."

"This is not the time yet, Manager Han. I am still incomplete," Kyuhyun utters seriously, leaving Manager Han dumbfounded. "I love Sungmin, yes, but I can't just show it all of a sudden to him. Besides, there is something I need to do first."

"Okay," Manager Han does not elaborate further.

○●○

The first day is nearly over. Only a few hours left to close the ice cream parlor.

Sungmin is now wiping the tables. There are a few customers left now and he can almost count them. He is satisfied at what he did for the day.

Donghae is at the kitchen, helping the others to wash the dishes. Kyuhyun is manning the counter because the person assigned there has an emergency to attend to. Temporarily, Kyuhyun is assigned as a cashier, while Sungmin and one more waiter are serving.

One male customer who is wearing a green polo shirt and pair of denim pants and with him is a female customer who is  wearing blue blouse and denim mini skirt enter the ice cream parlor. Sungmin welcomes them as he finishes wiping the tables. He attends to them and gets his notepad to take their orders down.

"Your order, ma'am?" He asks the woman first. The woman is obviously attracted to Sungmin. When she tells him her order, Sungmin turns to the man. "Sir, your order please?"

The man glares at him after seeing the woman he is with still staring at Sungmin. The male customer hits the woman's arm softly to warn her, but she does not listen. Instead, she rolls her eyes and orders for him.

Sungmin smiles even if there is awkwardness that is evident among them. He tells them that he is going to get their orders as soon as possible. He goes to the counter where Kyuhyun is. "One ice blended coffee and one chocolate sundae with a cherry on top."

"You're enjoying this, I see," Kyuhyun mumbles without looking at Sungmin. He is busy pressing the cash register's keys.

Sungmin nods as a reply. "Yes, I do. I can't believe this myself," he says. Then he realizes that he wiped the tables so his hands are a bit dirty. "Wait, Kyuhyun. I'll just wash my hands. Just put the orders here and I'll come back in a minute."

He goes inside the restroom and washes his hands. Then, he looks on the mirror and sees his reflection.

"Damn, you look so haggard, pretty boy," Sungmin compliments himself.

"Yes, you are one damn pretty boy."

Sungmin nearly jumps when he hears a voice of a female. What is a female doing inside the restroom for males? He turns around and sees the same female customer who just arrived at the ice cream parlor with her boyfriend, as Sungmin guesses. He regains his composure as he stands straight and speaks, "Uhm, I believe that the restroom for women is next door."

The woman approaches him and locks him. Sungmin remembers that behind him is the lavatory. The woman smirks and looks at him playfully. "I know that, pretty boy."

"U-uh, your boyfriend is... waiting outside," Sungmin tells the woman.

"How do you know that? That loser will be my ex-boyfriend now," the woman winks as she moves her face near his face. She is seducting him. Sungmin remains passive but he doesn't feel anything at all. "Don't you like me, dear? I am sure I am charming."

Sungmin smiles. "You are."

"So, why don't you kiss me?" The woman says in a seductive way. She closes their gap with an inch. "I am attracted to you. I want to leave that loser for you. I am just dating him because he has a lot of money." The woman puts her hand over Sungmin's left hand that is on the edge of the tiled lavatory.

Sungmin smirks as he looks at the woman's hand over his. He twists his hand, his palm now facing hers. He holds the woman's hand. "Well, sadly, I don't have any. And I am just a high school student. What would you like about me?"

"I don't care if you have no money. I think I just fell in love at first sight with you," the woman murmurs, almost breathing the words out from . She moves her face again, nearly kissing Sungmin.

"I am not interested, Miss," Sungmin whispers.

"Lee Sungmin, your customer is-"

Sungmin immediately pushes the woman using his free hand and sees the owner of the voice. "Kyuhyun?" 

The woman remains holding Sungmin's hand as she smiles at Kyuhyun. "Oh, I forgot you're still working. We'll just continue it later, maybe tomorrow or the other day, babe. That guy will buy me a necklace so I might just break up with him after that," the woman winks at Sungmin and leaves.

Kyuhyun is surprised to see the two. He does not speak immediately and he remains frozen near the door even until the woman leaves. He breathes in and out twice before trying to speak again but he fails.

Sungmin's eyebrows meet as he stares at Kyuhyun whose expression turns dark. "Is my order ready?"

Instead of answering, Kyuhyun just goes out of the restroom. Sungmin scratches his head as he stares at the door where Kyuhyun goes out.

○●○

After working hours, Donghae leaves. He needs to finalize his documents to be submitted on school for his tuition. Sungmin and Kyuhyun are the ones who stay to close the ice cream parlor.

"This day is awesome!" Sungmin is busy wiping the large window glasses while Kyuhyun is putting the chairs up. "Kyuhyun, is this how you feel when you first worked here?"

Kyuhyun does not speak. He continues doing what he is doing.

"You're quiet. You haven't talk to me since hours ago," Sungmin jumps from the chair where he is standing so that he can reach the upper part of the glass window. He approaches Kyuhyun who is still not speaking. "Hey..."

"Can you please shut up?" Kyuhyun mutters and glares at Sungmin. "Stop bothering me and leave me now!"

Sungmin gets irritated as he follows Kyuhyun who goes to the employee's lounge. Kyuhyun puts out his casual clothes and backpackfrom his locker, while Sungmin is beside him. "What is your problem?"

"You are my problem," Kyuhyun slams the locker door and looks at Sungmin. Sungmin gets shocked at the noise. He stares at Kyuhyun's eyes that are blazing with anger. "Leave me alone, I said!"

Sungmin laughs sarcastically. "Wow, is this room yours now? You didn't tell me before; I didn't know! I will not leave until you tell me what exactly your problem is with me."

Kyuhyun puts his casual clothes in his bag and he almost pulls the bow tie from his neck. He puts the bow tie and the blazer inside the bag and zips it before looking back at Sungmin. "If you don't want to leave, I'll leave."

Kyuhyun grabs his bag and leaves. Sungmin is left standing there, still wondering why Kyuhyun acted like that.

♡♥♡

《Sorry for not updating for the past few days.》