Chapter 44

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 44 - Ryeowook's Confession

♡♥♡

The beach volleyball game goes on. The opposing team is leading by six points. They are five points away from the goal.

"You're still not giving up?" the other team's captain asks as he lets out a mocking laugh. "You're going to lose anyway. Look at the lead."

"The game is not yet over, punk," Sungmin yells and gets ready. "As I said, the game has just begun and we will never lose to all of you!"

The referee signals the start of another rally as he whistles. The other team's member serves the ball and as expected, it lands on Sungmin's place. It is too high so it is needed to be spiked to the other court. Sungmin, in instinct, runs towards the ball and prepares to jump for a spike but he is surprised when Kyuhyun, who comes from far left of their court, suddenly appears in front of him.

He shouts, "Sungmin, go back to your position!" Then he spikes the ball to the other court. The other team fails to communicate that they miss the ball. A point goes to Sungmin's team.

"Alright! Good job, Kyuhyun!" Donghae praises. Kyuhyun maintains his blank face as the players rotate. It is his turn to serve. "Don't let them serve again!"

Kyuhyun catches the ball given to him. Sungmin stares at Kyuhyun and sees his determined face. But there is something wrong about him. Something that Sungmin cannot put himself into.

As the whistle is blown, Kyuhyun serves. It is a quick serve where he is able to find a hole between the opponent's players and they are not able to receive the ball well. Kyuhyun serves again.

Another rally has begun. The other team continues to make Sungmin catch the ball either by soft hits or by spikes. Although Sungmin feels that he has to catch the ball, he is able to control himself and let Kyuhyun and Donghae work as much as possible. After a long rally, Sungmin's team gets another point, cutting the lead to two.

Sulli, Sungjin, and Ryeowook cheers for them. The crowd begins cheering as well.

Kyuhyun serves for another three rallies. His team gets one service point again. Two rallies have passed, and Sungmin's team gets another two points because of Donghae's light drop and Kyuhyun's spike.

The other team calls a timeout. The referee acknowledges it. Sungmin walks towards Kyuhyun and Donghae who also walk towards him. "I feel so useless that I can't even help you guys even if I really can!"

"You need not think about it, Sungmin," Donghae smiles at Sungmin who automatically looks at the former. "We are doing this so that your injury would not become worse."

"I understand your concern, Donghae. But this is our game. I also need to move! Besides, I am left-handed. It is just that the ball is always going towards my right side so I am forced to spike it with my right hand. Now that it is injured, I can finally use my left," Sungmin complains then looks at Kyuhyun. "Kyuhyun, stop chasing after the ball if it is directed towards me. I can handle it with soft hits if it will still go to my right."

Kyuhyun gives him a look. Sungmin can't understand that kind of look. He isn't irritated. He isn't angry. He isn't happy. He is looking tired. Come to think of it, Kyuhyun is sweating a lot.

After a few moments of silence, he says in a low voice. "We can do this."

"At least wipe your sweat-" Sungmin uses the back of his left hand to wipe Kyuhyun's face, but he stops in the middle of doing that because Kyuhyun holds his hand. Sungmin's eyes widen not because Kyuhyun stops him but because of something else. "K-Kyuhyun, you're-"

Before Sungmin can continue, they hear the whistle and Kyuhyun goes back to his position.

He serves, but this time, it fails. Sungmin looks at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun, you have a fever, why are you even doing this? Sungmin asks himself. When Kyuhyun held his hand, the former's hand was hot.

Ever since they arrived there, he has already not been feeling well. He didn't want to swim, but later, he did just because he wanted to have a competition with Donghae. Also, Kyuhyun actually agreed to the volleyball game even if he was not feeling well. He could've told them. Sungmin would've said yes. What was the point of all that.

"Sungmin!" He gets back to reality when Donghae calls his name. He sees the ball landing near him. Donghae runs to save the ball and also Sungmin, but Kyuhyun already runs towards the ball and receives it. But he fails to take it across the net so the opponent gains another point.

It is already twelve, eight, in favor of the opponent.

Sungmin looks again at Kyuhyun who is catching his breath. Sungmin can't take it anymore. He shouts, "Cho Kyuhyun, stop it already!"

Donghae and the rest of their team members immediately look at Sungmin. "What's wrong?" Donghae asks.

Sungmin wants to run towards Kyuhyun and asks him to stop, but the whistle is blown again. But before their opponent can serve, Kyuhyun speaks, "I won't stop until we win."

Sungmin gets angry and he yells again, "Then we'll win and I am going to move now whether you like it or not!"

The ball is served again. It goes towards Kyuhyun. Sungmin rushes and receives it, then tells Donghae to spike it immediately. Donghae obeys and is able to spike the ball on a vacant spot. 

Donghae is the next one to serve. He gets two service aces and one point for the team. This moves their score to eleven.

The other team begins changing their plan and makes the ball land on Kyuhyun's place. Sungmin curses as he realizes that the opponent already knows that Kyuhyun is also getting weak.

Sungmin wants to receive the ball, but Kyuhyun gets more energized to hit the ball and gain them points. He successfully does it. They lead by one point, only two points away from the game point.

Donghae serves again, and the opponent manages to spike it towards Sungmin, needing him to dive on the sand. Kyuhyun runs once again to save the ball and he is able to light drop the ball again to the other side. After another rally, where Sungmin receives the ball, Donghae digs it and Kyuhyun spikes it, they win the game.

"Yes!" Donghae throws his hand in the air. "Sungmin, Kyuhyun, we win!" Sungjin, Sulli and Ryeowook come to them and cheer with him. Meanwhile, Sungmin just stands in the court, staring at Kyuhyun who is also standing there. Donghae calls them. "Sungmin, Kyuhyun!"

Kyuhyun finally walks although slowly, towards the rest. Sungmin follows.

"Kyuhyun-" Sungmin begins, but the team captain of the other team interrupts them.

"We are true to our promise," he says. "You can take your things and our things and make us your slaves."

Sungmin smiles. "No, we have a good time. It is a pleasure competing with you."

The team captain and his teammates bow to them as a sign of apology. "We are really sorry."

After Sungmin has told them again that it is alright, the other team members ask for Sungmin's number, and he gives it. Kyuhyun just rolls his eyes and walks away, carrying his bag. Ryeowook sees him doing so, so he runs after Kyuhyun.

"K-Kyuhyun... do you have a moment?" He asks. Kyuhyun stops and turns around, facing Ryeowook. "I-I would want to tell you something."

"Ryeowook!" Sungmin calls his best friend's name. "I think... Kyuhyun needs to-"

Kyuhyun puts his right hand up to stop Sungmin. His eyes are telling him that he doesn't need to tell Ryeowook that he's sick. Kyuhyun looks at Ryeowook. "Just give me a moment to take a shower."

Ryeowook smiles and nods. Kyuhyun finally walks away, heading to the shower room. Ryeowook looks at Sungmin. "What is it?

Sungmin gives him a meek smile. "N-nothing."

○●○

When everyone is done showering and packing up, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun goes somewhere else to talk.

"U-Uhm, Kyuhyun... I..."

"I know what you're going to tell me," Kyuhyun says and looks at Ryeowook who blushes.

"Kyuhyun, even though you know it already, I still want to tell it to you directly, just like what Sungmin told me to do so," Ryeowook says, clenching his fists that are resting on his sides. "I like you, Kyuhyun. Ever since that day when I first saw you in a magazine. I had a crush on you back then, and when we become friends, I know that it is more than a crush. I like you Kyuhyun!

After a few moments of silence, Kyuhyun sighs and speaks, "I don't actually know what to tell you, but I think I'll go with Sungmin's words with this one."

"Sungmin?" Ryeowook asks. "What's that?"

"He told me to be myself. To tell you what my heart really says," Kyuhyun pauses and then he stares at Ryeowook who is anticipating for his answer. But Kyuhyun turns around. "Don't misunderstand me. I might accidentally have done things that make you like me more, but that is just it. I am sorry for causing you to feel that way."

Kyuhyun walks away, but he stops when Ryeowook speaks in a soft voice. "I... I didn't force myself to like you, but you are making me think that I am just forcing myself to like you. Why... Why are you sorry for me? Why are you sorry for my feelings!?"

Kyuhyun turns around and looks at him directly once more. Ryeowook's eyes are already getting red like he is going to cry anytime soon. But he uudoes not get startled or anything. Instead, he answers. "Because I can't return your feelings. I am sorry."

○●○

There is damn cold silence in the bus when they are heading home. Sungjin and Sulli have already fallen asleep. Kyuhyun is sleeping. Donghae is awake though. Sungmin knows just by looking at his best friend that Ryeowook's confession does not happen well. He just sighs. It is partly his fault. So he has to make Ryeowook happy again.

"Wook, I-"

"It's okay," Ryeowook smiles and looks at Sungmin. Sungmin knows that it is forced, but he does not comment about it anymore. "I'll get over this. I... I didn't know that it hurts this much."

Ryeowook's tears flow from his eyes, but he wipes them. Sungmin opens his mouth to say something, but he can't. He gulps and looks at Donghae who also looks at Sungmin. They converse using their eyes. "Y-you don't have to... give up."

"It's fine," Ryeowook almost whispers. He looks on his bag on his lap.

"Ryeowook... I... I am going with Kyuhyun in the Philippines tomorrow," Sungmin confesses. Ryeowook turns to Sungmin. "The ticket that we were trying to save last time was a plane ticket to the Philippines. We won a lottery so we needed to use them. I promise that, when we get there, I would convince him that he was just making a mistake, that he loses if someone gets you."

Ryeowook does not speak but he smiles and looks at his bag on his lap again. "I appreciate that, Sungmin. But he himself told me that he can't return his feelings for me."

"I promised!" Sungmin insists. "And he didn't even say that he doesn't like you at all! Things might change, Ryeowook. And because I am Lee Sungmin, and I promised to do it, I would do it! Please... as your best friend, count on me, alright?"

Ryeowook just smiles and thanks Sungmin.

○●○

They reach the city. Sungmin tells Donghae to take care of Ryeowook on their way home.

"I don't know if I am the right person to say this but," Donghae starts then stops. When Ryeowook looks at him, he continues, "I don't want you to give up. You told me to fight for my feelings for Sungmin when I was nearly giving up. And I am still doing it even if it would take me forever."

Ryeowook does not speak.

"I love Sungmin with all my heart, Ryeowook. And I think you love Kyuhyun more than everything as well, right?" Donghae asks. "The two of us won't fail. They might not be able to return our feelings now, but someday, I know that they would!"

Ryeowook smiles and taps Donghae's shoulder. "Thanks for the encouragement, Donghae. From now on, I'll be a better man. I'll be the best guy for Kyuhyun."

Meanwhile, Sungjin tells Sungmin that he'll take Sulli home. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, leaves them as soon as he goes down from the bus. Sungmin decides to go home, but he remembers Kyuhyun who is sick. He turns back and follows Kyuhyun who is slowly walking.

Sungmin continues to follow him until they are only fifteen meters away from his house. He surprises Kyuhyun and gets his bag from him. Kyuhyun just stands there, staring at Sungmin who is now in front of him.

"I thought you're going home?" Kyuhyun asks.

"I shouldn't feel guilty because you made my best friend cry," Sungmin says, "But I am still guilty because I made you play the game even if you're sick. How can we go to the Philippines tomorrow if you're sick?"

"I'll get better," Kyuhyun tells Sungmin and passes by him. Sungmin follows Kyuhyun until they reach his house. "Go now and take a rest. We still have an early flight tomorrow."

"I don't know why you rejected Ryeowook and you were a jerk in doing so," Sungmin gives the back to Kyuhyun who already opens the door of his house. He enters, and Sungmin does too. "But I can't leave you here until I am sure that you're already okay."

"You're the stupid one," Kyuhyun says as he puts the bag on the sofa. "I am alright now. Go home."

"Why did you reject Ryeowook?" Sungmin questions. "I mean... he's someone who loves you wholeheartedly."  

"You told me to be myself," he answers. "I was being honest to him. I said that I could not return his feelings to him... because I can't."

Sungmin crosses his arms, "You're just scared, right, that your special someone who is in the Philippines would be mad at you when you fall out of love with him?" Kyuhyun does not answer, instead, he takes off his shirt. Sungmin's eyes widen. "Hey! Stop! Are you out of your mind? Why are you taking your clothes off? Are you really sick that you're-"

"Shut up," he hisses and approaches Sungmin. "This is my house, and I can do whatever I want to do. That includes taking my clothes off anytime."

Sungmin gulps, but he composes himself. "! Of course, I know that! But you're sick, and you should be dressed to keep yourself warm! Kyuhyun, are you listening to me?"

"Why would I need clothes to warm myself up," Kyuhyun speaks and slowly leans towards Sungmin who is caught off-guard. Good thing, he is sturdy as rock, so he keeps his posture. "if I have you to keep me warm?"

"You're a freaking ert, I swear, I'll-" Sungmin stops when Kyuhyun's weight drop on him as he closes his eyes. On impulse, Sungmin uses his arms to support Kyuhyun. "K-Kyuhyun? Kyuhyun, are you sleeping?"

Kyuhyun opens his eyes and puts his head on Sungmin's shoulder. "I haven't answered your question yet..."

"Y-You can answer it once you get a rest, once you're mind's clear and once you're away from me," Sungmin tries to break free, but Kyuhyun snakes his arms around Sungmin and hugs him more. "Cho Kyuhyun!"

"My name sounds nice when you say it," Kyuhyun lets out a small chuckle, and it creeps the hell out of Sungmin.

What is this stupid guy doing!? Wait... why is my heart beating so fast? He asks himself in his mind. "S-shut up..." Why am I stuttering!? And why is he flirting with me? "Stop playing this game, Kyuhyun!"

"I guess, my answer is obvious now," he murmurs. After that, Sungmin feels that Kyuhyun's arms drop and his weight also drops on him. It is not a little later when he realizes that Kyuhyun is already asleep.

"You seriously fall asleep!? What will I do with this guy!?"

♡♥♡

《Hehe. I hope I wrote this chapter well. Kyuhyun's sick... what now? Would their trip to the Philippines push through? I changed several details. XD And yay! 137 subscribers. :D KyuMin shippers please. XD》