Chapter 19

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 19 - The Examination Days

♡♥♡

It is the start of the examinations for junior students in Daehyun University, Inhwan University and other universities in Seoul. And everyone is doing his or her best to pass to advance to the next level.

Sungmin is one of them, well, partly one of them.

He is confident in his studies for the first time. Before, he didn't care if he would pass or not. Now, he is doing it for the sake of his summer vacation and his allowance. And part of the reason is that he is doing it for he and Kyuhyun to be friends. For world peace. Since when did he accept a challenge for world peace?

"I am ready!" He screams as he goes to the classroom's window. Everyone in the classroom and on the school grounds looks at him. Everyone cheers with him.

"You seem so confident, Min," Ryeowook comments. The first test for the first day which is English will be starting thirty minutes later. He is okay with it because Kyuhyun and Donghae joined forces to tutor him. He thinks that he can get a required grade for it. "You have to do well in English. I know you can ace the three tests after it."

The next test is Japanese test. It is not a problem for Sungmin because he is naturally gifted in learning different languages, except English. He is in fact the top of his class in Japanese language test.

After Japanese language test is the Practical Arts test. Since their test is about cooking, it will be a breeze for him. And the last test is going to be Music where they are going to dance a popular song. He believes that he can do all of them.

"I think I can do well in English!" He says confidently. "I actually can't wait to start it."

Ryeowook chuckles, "I guess, you can do well. Good luck!"

Their proctor enters the classroom after fifteen minutes. Sungmin calms himself and sits in his chair. He gives himself an encouragement as he receives the test paper. "For summer vacation. For allowance. For world peace! Fighting!"

○●○

"Are you going to give his phone to Sungmin? Can I... give it to him instead?"

It is their break time. The next test will be thirty minutes after. Kyuhyun is busy reviewing the subject for their next test, and Donghae is disturbing him about the phone that the latter thinks is Sungmin's.

○●○

"Why do you have Sungmin as your phone wallpaper!?"

He did not know what to answer, to be honest. It was the first time that he felt unsure.

Donghae's face could not be painted. He was looking angry yet curious and puzzled. He was holding the phone tightly.

Kyuhyun did not know if he would admit that he took a photo of Donghae's crush and set it as his wallpaper. That would be so awkward.

Donghae was waiting for him to answer. So he did. He just said the first thing that came to his mind. "It is Sungmin's phone."

Yes, that was the most logical and appropriate excuse. Sungmin had the same phone as him, his favorite color was pink, and Sungmin was his wallpaper. That was what his mind told him to answer.

Donghae seemed to believe it. His face lightened and he looked at the phone. "So this is Sungmin's? Can I explore his phone?"

Kyuhyun snatched the phone from him and kept it inside his pocket. "No. Respect his privacy."

"But you were looking at it when we bumped into each other! You're unfair!" Donghae yelled. "Come on, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun shook his head and walked away from Donghae. Donghae chased Kyuhyun who in turn looked to him. "I was setting up a lock code when you saw ,e so that if certain people like you would want to open it, they could not," he lied. He was blaming himself for not locking the phone before putting it into his pocket. If only he did that, he would not come up with a lot of lies. "I will just give it to Sungmin after the test. Don't bother yourself, Donghae. I will not open it."

Donghae just sighed and gave up. "Okay fine. Give it to Sungmin as soon as possible."

○●○

And now, Donghae is asking him to give his own phone to Sungmin.

"Think about this, Donghae. What will he think if you give it to him? He left it with me," Kyuhyun says. He is very annoyed. "Look, if only I can give it to him now, I would. But we have tests okay? Concentrate and let me give it to him later."

Donghae sighs and says, "It is really bothering me, Kyuhyun."

For goodness sake, he can't concentrate in reviewing either.  And to be honest, he did not review well. When they had a group study, he was busy pleasing Sungmin by doing everything that the latter would like.

He is also not comfortable that Kyuhyun has Sungmin's phone. What he makes wonder the most is, how did Kyuhyun get Sungmin's phone? He wants to know if he stole it from him. But Kyuhyun is not that low to steal someone's phone. There is something wrong. Something he can't put his mind into.

He sits back to his desk. He knows he has to concentrate, but it is bothering him too much. 

Maybe Kyuhyun and Sungmin were together when Donghae bumped into Kyuhyun. And that leads into another question - why are they together?

"Last question," Donghae turns to Kyuhyun again. The latter glares at him, but Donghae still continues, "How did you get his phone?"

Kyuhyun replies, "He insisted to buy a phone case for me so we went to a shop. Then he gave his phone to me when he was looking for a phone case. He forgot to retrieve it back so I accidentally took it home. Happy now?" He goes back to reading.

Donghae nods. It is enough for now.

○●○

"How's English?" Ryeowook asks Sungmin after tests. Finally, the first day of examination is over.

"I answered everything! For the first time! And I didn't even guess!" Sungmin boasts. "I am so happy. Japanese test was also easy. Practical arts test is easy. Music test is easy. I think I can get an A or a B."

"Good job, Min!" Ryeowook congratulates Sungmin. "Do you want to go to the ice cream parlor to celebrate?"

"I would love to but our test for tomorrow is Biology, so I guess I will pass. I hope you understand, Wook. Maybe after the exam days," Sungmin declines. "Well, see you again tomorrow! I am heading home."

Ryeowook smiles and taps Sungmin's shoulder. Sungmin smiles back and goes ahead.

On his way home, he gets his phone and dials Kyuhyun's number. He wants to boast and tell him that he did well. But he is not answering it. He wonders why.

"Perhaps, he is studying. Oh well, I'll just tell it to him after three days," Sungmin says to himself.

○●○

Sungmin wakes up as he hears the ring of his phone. He just got home and upon arriving, he immediately lies down as he decides to stay late to study. He gets asleep for five minutes but then the phone disturbs him from sleep. "Hello?"

"Yo. Why did you call?" says the person from the other line.

"Why were you not answering your phone awhile ago?" Sungmin asks and sits on his bed.

"I left it here at home. It is so awkward to bring the phone because it has pink phone case," Kyuhyun lies again. Actually, when he called, Donghae was with him and it woudn't be right to answer 'someone else's' call.

"Jerk, I didn't ask you to buy the pink one!" He yells. "Anyway, I think I did well in English. Thanks."

"No need to thank me. You still have Biology and Geometry to worry about," Kyuhyun reminds him.

"If I fail in Geometry, it would be your fault," Sungmin laughs. "That's it. Bye-"

"Wait," Kyuhyun cuts in. "If Donghae asks you if you lost your phone, tell him you did and it is with me."

Sungmin gets curious. "Why? Why in the world would I do that?"

"Because I told Donghae that this is yours because it's pink," Kyuhyun reasons out.

Sungmin narrows his eyes. "I hate you, Cho. Okay fine. I need to sleep now. I will wake up later to study. Bye."

○●○

The next day, their test is Biology. Although it is difficult, a B is not impossible to get. And for the third day, Geometry is their last test. Sungmin can't believe that he feels so confident about Geometry. Thanks to Kyuhyun.

To celebrate, Ryeowook and Sungmin go to the ice cream parlor. Kyuhyun will be back to work the next day so he joins them. Donghae is also there.

Kyuhyun told Donghae that he already gave the phone to Sungmim, so Donghae did not bother to talk about it anymore. He didn't even ask Sungmin about it, although he wanted to. Just to make sure.

"I think I am going to pass them all!"

Donghae smiles meekly. "I am so happy for you, Sungmin."

"Oh, how about you Donghae? I bet you did well," Sungmin says.

"He actually told me that he did not do well," Kyuhyun interjects. 

"Kyuhyun!" Donghae scolds Kyuhyun and smiles back at Sungmin. "Don't believe him, Sungmin. I did well in our exams."

"Donghae, tell me if something is bothering you. I am your friend," Sungmin tells Donghae.

A friend. That's just it. Sungmin treats him only as a friend. That is his sad reality. Donghae speaks, "I did not do well in the exams, Kyuhyun's right. And it is because of you... but don't worry Sungmin. I am not blaming you because it is mostly my fault. I am happy that I was able to help you."

Donghae stands and walks away. Sungmin is left puzzled. "What did I do?"

"You still didn't get it?" Kyuhyun questions. "Sungmin, stop being numb."

Kyuhyun is preparing to chase Donghae, but Sungmin stops him. "I will talk to Donghae. I need to know," he says. "Take care of Ryeowook for me first."

♡♥♡

《I failed, didn't I? This chapter was a nah. I am sorry. ><》