Chapter 56

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 56 - Strange

♡♥♡

"We're here, Sir."

Hyukjae looks outside the window. He sees a huge sign indicating that they have already arrived at their destination.

"What am I going to do, Sir?" His assistant turns to him. Yesung also looks at Hyukjae for an answer, but the latter remains silent.

"In all honesty, I didn't think it was this... small," Yesung looks at the building where the law firm is located. "I imagined it to be a more decent one."

"It's decent," Hyukjae says and alights the car. Yesung follows him. "It's still decent."

"I thought it was big and all, since Sungmin's father was really known. But how can they not afford to buy a building of their own? I mean, with all those big clients, your competitors included, how can they not transfer to a sturdier building?" Yesung asks his friend who still remains silent. "What are we going to do here anyway?"

Hyukjae walks towards the entrance of the law firm. He tours his sight around and realizes that it hasn't changed at all.

He enters the building. He remembers how excited he was whenever he would go there. He would tag his friends along and he would show-off how cool his parents were that they were able to buy a lot and a building.

It was the very first possession that they bought after they had established their own company. And he knew even if he was just a little boy, how happy his parents were when they bought that building for their business. But it was also the first possession that they let go after their business had gone bankrupt.

Yesung follows his friend who is still not saying any word. "Hey, I am still here, you know?"

Hyukjae turns to Yesung. "This," he pauses then presses the key of the elevator. He continues as they enter the elevator. "This was our building."

The elevator closes. Yesung is shocked to hear that. He looks away. "So why..."

Hyukjae's father started a business after he had resigned from his long-time job. It was a rough start, because they were just a middle-class family, and establishing a new business would require a lot of sacrifices. All his father's savings were invested in the business because he was so proud that he would be able to grow the shampoo business that they would start. So he did. Because of his perserverance, he managed to grow the business, as he promised, in two years time. They expanded and expanded until the small room that they rented became too small for them and the increasing number of employees. He bought the whole building, and luckily, he was able to buy the lot as well.

The other tenants remained there but they were paying directly to his father, so they had extra income aside from their sales. They managed to buy a house and lot and they left their old house but they didn't sell it. They thought that the luck was on their favor. However, an employee secretly worked for a competitor and shared all the information and even new products of the company. That made their first business fall slowly. The investors one by one discontinued their investments with the company until they went bankrupt. The building was mortgaged. In a year, it was bought by someone.

His father was devastated, and so was his mother. Hyukjae even thought that the two would divorce because of that. His mother kept on blaming his father, for the reason that he never understood.

"Karma... karma was after us!" His mother would always say. "If only you didn't do that!"

Hyukjae was confused. His father never had vices, so did his mother. He would always hear them quarelling over the slightest things. They went back to their old house and for a year, his father kept on researching.

But he knew that time would come that his father would be able to stand on his feet again.

And he did. He discovered an innovative and brand new technology that would build their company again. With all the extra money that they had, they tried to revive the company and sold the idea to a big shampoo company. He was accepted as a partner and he was able to bring the company back and it grew more than it supposed to be. Everything went well, and his discovery had lead him to fame even outside the country. They transferred to another house, that time, bigger, but they decided not to sell the house they owned. Today, their businesses are still growing and expanding.

Hyukjae, Yesung and Hyukjae's assistant arrive at the fifth floor where the firm is.

"Assistant Jung, please search for the current owner of the building," Hyukjae orders. "I want to buy this building back no matter what it takes."

"What if it's bought by the owner of the law firm? It is the only business renting this building right now," his assistant informs him. Hyukjae looks around and then turns to his assistant.

"Then I would let him be our company lawyer," Hyukjae answers strongly. Yesung and the assistant look at each other. "Mr. Lee must be that good to buy the whole building."

"Not that I am questioning your power, Hyukjae, but I don't think it's a good decision," Yesung says.

Hyukjae turns to his assistant and instructs him to talk to Sungmin's father for certain propositions. When his assitant already enters the office, he turns to Yesung and furrows his eyebrows. "Why? If this has to be the way to win Sungmin's heart then I would do it."

"You're insane," Yesung crosses his arms on his chest. "Seriously Lee Hyukjae. You're insanely in love with someone you just met like you knew him that much-"

"His favorite color is pink. His favorite vegetable is pumpkin. His favorite fruit is strawberry. He basically loves fashion but he at it. He hates studying and school. His father is a lawyer. His mother is a policewoman. His brother loves detective stories. Do I need to say more?" Hyukjae enumerates. "I know everything about Lee Sungmin and this is the only way to make him fall in love with me."

Yesung glares at him. "Yes, you may know his likes and dislikes and favorites and whatnot, but you don't even know if his personality!"

Hyukjae holds Yesung's shoulders. "Are you even my best friend!? Why can't you support me?"

"What if he's a bad guy? What if he's not the Sungmin that you thought he was? What if he's just like the others who wish to get your money?" Yesung asks simultaneously. "If he knows who you are then he might do what others did to you. You're so naive, Hyukjae. You knew that he's a troublemaker. You researched about him and you know how he puts the law in his hands."

Hyukjae turns to Yesung and gives him an angry stare. "I believe that Lee Sungmin is not like that. I know that he's not like what perceives him to be. He's not a city's blacksheep or whatnot. He is a good person because he saved my life even if he didn't know who I was!"

Yesung sighs. "This is just a friendly advice, and consider this very carefully. I don't want you to get hurt just like before, that is why I am very skeptical."

"Thanks for your concern," Hyukjae taps Yesung's shoulder. "But it would be fine."

○●○

"The day is kind of slow," Sungmin stares at the door, hoping to see customers. "The ice cream parlor is brand new, yet again, but no one is eating here."

"Do you already want to go home?"

Upon hearing Kyuhyun's voice, Sungmin immediately changes the topic, "Err, where is Donghae anyway?"

"He delivered something," Ryeowook replies. "I didn't know we had delivery service."

"Well, we have a bicycle, but Delicious Cravings' delivery service isn't really so popular, so it remains unused. The only time it was used was too long ago," Sungmin says. "Maybe there is a need for a delivery boy or something?"

"Oh my gosh!" Someone rushes towards the two of them. It is Donghae who stops in front of the two. He is panting because he is out of breath but he still tries to speak. "I saw a new restaurant almost twenty meters away from us, and they are serving desserts too," he tells everyone in between breaths. "It's their opening last Monday and I thought it wouldn't click that much. It is pretty popular now."

Sungmin walks near the door to peek, and when he sees a lot of customers lining up from the outside, he turns to Ryeowook and Donghae who are watching him and waiting for his reaction. "Damn it! I must know their secret!"

Sungmin removes his apron and rushes outside. He falls in line and tries to eavesdrop.

"I heard that their food is very delicious here," says one woman to another. "Especially the desserts. So yummy."

"Wait, you're a regular customer of Delicious Cravings," says her friend. "And that handsome waiter is there too, right?"

The woman suddenly squeals. "That hot Cho Kyuhyun guy? He's so handsome! And when I ate there, he smiled at me, and he looked at me in the eye! He's so manly!"

Sungmin rolls his eyes and grimaces. He is such a flirt. He flirts mostly with everyone.

"But then, I heard that bad guys went there and almost destroyed everything. I was worried that they might come back, so I'd rather go here," the woman answers. "I would go to Delicious Cravings to get Kyuhyun's number though. He would most likely give it to me, because I think we have certain connection. I think he likes me!"

Sungmin blows some air glares at the woman. She's delusional. Kyuhyun loves someone else now so- He stops. He remembers when he admitted that he was in love with someone unknown to them. Sungmin still has no idea who that person is. Or maybe Kyuhyun is just making things up to avoid Ryeowook, but that doesn't work, so what's the point of insisting that he is in love with someone?

He sighs as he walks away. He returns to the ice cream parlor and Donghae meets him. "What happened? What was their secret?"

"I don't know. I wasn't able to know," Sungmin says with low spirits. Donghae notices the sudden change of mood.

"Why do you suddenly look gloomy?" Donghae asks worriedly.

Sungmin tries to smile. "Don't worry, I am fine," he insists. "Oh, I heard that they heard what happened here yesterday. Maybe it was why they were not going here. Ugh those stupid guys pissed me off! It's all their fault!"

"Don't be worked up," Kyuhyun cuts in. Sungmin turns around to ignore him, but Kyuhyun still speaks. "Instead, let us prove that this place is still a nice place."

"Kyuhyun's right," Donghae comments. "This is a really nice place. We get to work all together here. And we have a lot of memories here, right?"

Sungmin's mood becomes okay once again. The two guys are right. Delicious Cravings might not be the best out there, but it's one of the place that he loves the most. He had a lot of memories there. He met a lot of people. He also gained friends. He won't let anyone destroy it. "As much as I hate to admit it, but you're right. This ice cream parlor is one of the places I love the most so I won't let anyone destroy its name. Let us bring back its glory!"

○●○

Hyukjae and Yesung, as promised by the first, go to the ice cream parlor. Hyukjae told his secretary to continue talking to Sungmin's father and they would finally go to the ice cream parlor, just looking like a normal customer.

Sungmin is the one who attends to them. "Oh, Hyukjae, Yesung! You became true to your promise!"

Hyukjae smiles. "Of course, and we're here to order," he says. Sungmin scratches his head and smiles. "Oh well, we'll have the same dessert as yesterday."

Sungmin nods. "Alright!" He turns around and prepares to leave, but Hyukjae calls him. "Why?"

"Why are there almost no customers?" He asks. Sungmin turns back and sighs.

"The day is slow because of the restaurant that opened last Monday. i People were lining up there. I also overheard that they are scared to eat here because of what happened yesterday," Sungmin replies. "Anyway, I'm still happy that you're both here! At least, there are like you who are loyal customers."

Hyukjae blushes with the remark. "Oh, the ice cream parlor looks different."

"Oh! There was a good gentleman who helped us fix it! And I am so thankful to him! You know, he's the best," Sungmin tells Hyukjae. Yesung looks at Hyukjae who, when Sungmin leaves them, hits his arm.

Meanwhile, Donghae's mood becomes bad once again. Seeing Hyukjae anywhere pisses him off. He rants to Kyuhyun again. "That monkey is pissing the hell out of me!"

Kyuhyun continues to work. To be honest, it pisses him off too. For obviously not the common I-am-jealous reason, Kyuhyun feels annoyed everytime he sees Hyukjae. There is something in him that makes me anxious of something, he thinks. He tries to distract him from looking at Hyukjae and finding out what he's going to do next, but he can't help it.

He stares at Hyukjae who is now talking to the phone. He ends the call immediately as Sungmin goes back with their orders.

"Here's your strawberry sundae, Hyukjae," Sungmin says as he puts the ice cream glasses on the table. "And here is your chocolate-banana sundae, Yesung."

Hyukjae receives the ice cream. "Thanks. Strawberry is really my favorite." 

Yesung looks skeptically at Hyukjae and murmurs, "But you hate-"

"You're too weird, Yesung, I love strawberry sundae!" Hyukjae prevents Yesung from saying any word, then he widens his eyes at Yesung. He emphasizes the word 'love' as well. "Right Yesung?"

Yesung's eyebrows meet. "But you like the vanilla-banana flavor more-"

Hyukjae kicks him secretly under the table, and Yesung scowls. Sungmin laughs, "It's okay Hyukjae. It's nice to try something different once in a while, right?"

Hyukjae awkwardly laughs. "R-Right."

"But you know, I love strawberries so much!" Sungmin says. "I can eat them everyday. Donghae also likes strawberries, so when he was a customer here, he always ordered strawberry-flavored desserts."

When Donghae hears his name, his eyes twinkle and he immediately approaches them. "Yeah, I love strawberries so much. It's so nice because Sungmin and I got to eat strawberry desserts together before. It was a fun experience, because as I said we both love strawberries!" Donghae tells Hyukjae. Emphasizing that we both love strawberry would discourage you, you monkey-looking jerk! He thinks as he laughs in his mind. What now, monkey? Eh- He pauses as he sees Hyukjae finished the strawberry sundae and Sungmin is getting fond of watching him. This brat!

"Woah, I didn't know it tastes so good," Hyukjae remarks. "I would love strawberries from now on."

"Glad you like it!" Sungmin smiles.

"Hi," Ryeowook, who just finished in washing the used glasses, greets the two of them. "Nice seeing you both here!"

"H-Hey!" Yesung greets back. "Yeah, we love eating ice cream."

"Although you don't like sweet things," Hyukjae whispers, and Ryeowook hears it, so he chuckles. Yesung blushes in embarrassment. Hyukjae turns to Sungmin. "Sungmin, the ice cream parlor is really amazing. I hope, customers would go back to eating here."

And just like how he hopes, the customers begin to go inside the ice cream parlor. "Woah! That was fast," Sungmin gets shocked at the number of customers going inside. "You have a prophetic tongue or something?"

Hyukjae scratches his head and smiles. "Well, I guess I do have one."

This stupid monkey! Damn you! Donghae curses in his mind.

"Donghae, Sungmin, Ryeowook! Move and serve other customers!" Kyuhyun yells.

"Hyukjae, Yesung, we'll go ahead, we need to serve other customers," Sungmin tells the two. "And enjoy your stay!"

When Donghae, Sungmin and Ryeowook leave Yesung and Hyukjae, Yesung asks, "This is you again, Hyukjae?"

"Well, my Sungmin's wish, my command," Hyukjae laughs and scoops a spoonful of Yesung's dessert. "I asked Secretary Jung to buy the restaurant that was attracting all of their customers. And since we offered thrice the price, they easily sold it to us. I also rented the whole day so they immediately closed it down for today."

Yesung shakes his head. "You're really mad."

"I told you," Hyukjae pauses and looks at Sungmin who is happily attending to other customers. "If Sungmin is happy, I am happy."

○●○

"That monkey, he keeps in impressing Sungmin! I know he is just so trying hard," Donghae rants as they close the ice cream parlor. He is currently sitting on a chair while wiping his sweat. "I am so tired! The customers come here all of a sudden! I swear, that monkey has magic or something."

"You're weird. As if people have magic," Kyuhyun comments. Although he is sick of hearing Donghae's rants about Hyukjae, he still wants to know what happened a little earlier. And even if he doesn't want to admit that Donghae is right, he thinks that maybe, he is right.

Hyukjae and Yesung left the ice cream parlor two hours ago. Sungmin even took them outside the ice cream parlor.

Kyuhyun sighs. There is something that really bothers him about Hyukjae. First, he was being searched by goons. Second, he called someone, then the customers went back to the ice cream parlor. Really suspicious,  he thinks.

"Wow, when I was on my way back, I overheard that the restaurant was bought by someone over the phone," Ryeowook informs everyone. "And I heard that they would close it down effective tomorrow!"

Kyuhyun furrows his eyebrows. This is weird. Everything that happens today is weird. First, the ice cream parlor was fixed. Second, the restaurant that opened four days ago is now closed down. "What's next?"

Sungmin comes out from the kitchen. After a few minutes, his phone rings. "Hello?"

"Sungmin? Come home quick! Your dad!"

"What happened!?" Sungmin asks his panicking mother. She must be in duty that time, so he wonders what's wrong with his father. "I'll be there soon! Wait for me!" Sungmin ends the call and turns to everyone. "I'll just pass with the cleaning today. Emergency at home."

"What happened?" It is Donghae.

"I don't know, but my mother told me it was about my father," Sungmin frantically runs into the employees' lounge. When he goes out, he says, "I'll just help in cleaning tomorrow."

"We'll go with you," Ryeowook worriedly volunteers, but Sungmin shakes his head as an answer. "Okay then. Just call us if you need us."

Sungmin nods and hurriedly leaves the ice cream parlor.

"I wonder what happened," Donghae stares at the door then resumes in cleaning. "I hope everything's alright."

○●○

"Seriously Mom," Sungmin crosses his arms. He finds his father, mother and Sungjin having a feast on the table. "You called me for this? I skipped the cleaning and all that just to see you eating!?"

"Join us, hyung," Sungjin tells Sungmin. "Father just got a new company."

"What?" Sungmin asks to clarify if what he heard was true. "A new company?"

"You know, there is this one man who offers to buy the building where the law firm is," Sungmin's father narrates. "Mr. Lee, the previous owner, sent his secretary to ask if I already own the building, and I said yes, so the secretary told me that Mr. Lee would like to get me as one of their company lawyers, just to make sure that my law firm would still exist and the building would not be owned by others. So I didn't say no to that."

"I am so happy for you, Dad," Sungmin claps and grins. Then he frowns as he looks at his mother. "But then, Mom, you could have told me calmly! I thought something happened!"

His mother laughs loudly. "I am sorry, Min. I was overly excited. Besides, you didn't even let me finish!"

Sungmin snorts. "So it's my fault," he says and stomps towards the dining table. "But then, you're forgiven, because this is a sumptous feast."

His mother smiles as she gives him a plate, spoon and fork so that he can eat. "Dig in. I made the pumpkin soup especially for you."

"Really, this day is full of good surprises. I don't even know why, but I hope it continues," Sungmin says. "It started when he arrived."

"Who?" Sungjin asks.

"A new friend... new friends," Sungmin replies.

"Woah, you are getting a lot of friends lately," Sungjin comments. "Before it's just Ryeowook hyung, Donghae hyung and Kyuhyun hyung-"

"That Kyuhyun should not be included," his father says. Sungmin pouts as his eyebrows meet. "But I guess, your newly-found friends are good to you. You must hangout with them often, and avoid that Kyuhyun as much as possible."

"Dad!" Sungmin shouts. The doorbell rings and his mother volunteers to get it. Sungmin coughs and continues. "Kyuhyun is a good friend. Maybe he's a bit harsh before but he really took care of me. He even gave me a marigold for my project!"

"A marigold? For your project?" His father asks. Sungmin sighs. He forgot to tell his father about the marigold and how it would affect his grade for last term. "Is that a make-up project? I thought you passed?"

"I did, but not quite! But it doesn't matter now. All I need is to pass it tomorrow-"

"Min, someone's looking for you," His mother informs Sungmin who sighs in relief. He stands and thanks his mother secretly for saving him. His mother chuckles and whispers to him before he sees his visitor. "I disagree with your father. I think your visitor is a very good boy and you are lucky to have him as a friend."

Sungmin gets curious as his mother winks at him. "Who?"

His mother does not answer. She just goes back to the kitchen, while Sungmin goes out to see his visitor. He is surprised to see Kyuhyun outside.

"Why are you here?" Sungmin asks the blank-faced Kyuhyun. He notices that Kyuhyun is holding his bag. "Oh?"

"I thought you would be bringing your things when you went to the lounge a while ago, but I was surprised to see everything on the table," Kyuhyun speaks as he looks away. "You're not getting any younger. You keep on forgetting a lot of things."

"Shut up," Sungmin snatches his bag from Kyuhyun. "But then, thanks."

"I'll go now-"

"Wait," Sungmin pulls Kyuhyun's shirt, making the latter look at him. Sungmin looks around and avoids Kyuhyun's eyes, "You went all your way here just to bring my bag, so might as well eat with us."

"Your father wouldn't really like to see me, would he?" Kyuhyun asks as he looks at the sky. "I'll pass."

"But you're worried about him, aren't you?" Sungmin asks back.

Kyuhyun smiles at him. "I was, but your mom actually told me everything. I am glad that she does not hate me."

"I don't know why but my mother is so fond of you. She must like you more than me," Sungmin pouts. Kyuhyun chuckles. "What?"

"You're jealous?" Kyuhyun continues to chuckle. "I don't think you should be jealous."

"What makes you think I am?" Sungmin crosses his arms over his chest and glares at Kyuhyun. "Anyway, why do you care so much about what they think about you? And why do you care about them?"

Kyuhyun sighs. "You're still as dense as usual."

"Mean," Sungmin punches Kyuhyun's chest playfully. "I am going inside now. If you don't want to show up then-"

"I was wondering why my son was taking so long and was not even letting the visitor in," someone from Sungmin's back says. The two of them turn to the person speaking. Kyuhyun bows as a greeting. "And I guessed rightly."

"Dad, he's just-"

"I want to talk to you about something, Kyuhyun, and I don't think you're busy so you wouldn't mind, right?" His father asks. Sungmin looks at his father who has a blank expression on his face. Kyuhyun straightens up and shakes his head. "Good. Go inside." He commands, and Sungmin worriedly looks at Kyuhyun. His fatehr goes inside the house first.

"Hey, don't say anything stupid!" Sungmin warns.

Kyuhyun puts his hand on Sungmin's shoulder and squeezes it. "I won't. I will just be myself."

♡♥♡

《I wonder what would happen LMAO A talk, eh? XD Sorry for the late update. I planned to update last week but I wasn't able to finish it. By the way, my training is finished and the real work will start tomorrow. Pray for me. I love you readers. Keep on supporting this fic! Thanks! :D》