Chapter 77

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 77 - Is it Really Over?

♡♥♡

Sungmin knew that Ryeowook would first tell him about Kyuhyun's change of heart. He was happy for his best friend. But he was not happy for himself.

It's the third week of March and it's as if time skips a lot of days. Kyuhyun and Ryeowook have been dating for over a month already and Sungmin is still doing his best while trying to pretend that he is okay - at least in front of Ryeowook.

He of course seldomly saw Kyuhyun after their break-up. Manager Han knew that they broke up and he respected Sungmin's decision to permanently leave the ice cream parlor. At first, Sungmin told him that it was because he wanted to concentrate on his studies, but in the end, Manager Han deduced that it was because of him and Kyuhyun.

"Are you really fine about it? Is it really over?" Manager Han asked him one last time when he went to his office to give a resignation letter. "I am very sorry that Luisa is also to be blamed."

Sungmin forced a smile. "No, it isn't about Luisa. Maybe I don't really have strong feelings for Kyuhyun that's why I broke up with him."

Luisa hadn't showed up ever since Valentine's Day. There were news articles in Inhwan, as informed by Donghae, that Luisa got rejected. Although there was also a photo of her and Kyuhyun kissing.

"Don't fool yourself, Sungmin," Manager Han advised but he accepted the resignation anyway. "I care about you and Kyuhyun so I guess it's the right thing to do, Sungmin."

Sungmin thanked Manager Han and as soon as he went out, he bumped into Kyuhyun. He was startled, but he tried to keep a pokerface when their eyes met. Kyuhyun ignored him and went directly to the kitchen. Sungmin bitterly smiled as he thought, I deserve this.

Ryeowook went to him and asked him about the resignation. Sungmin had informed him first before Ryeowook told him the news.

"Are you really going? That's so weird... all of a sudden, you're going to concentrate on your studies," Ryeowook pouted.

"One more push, Ryeowook," Sungmin told him with a smile. "I shall go now."

And Sungmin left the ice cream parlor. His eyes were red. But he kept it in until he was finally inside his room.

And then March came. Sungmin really concentrated on his studies, especially for the law school entrance exam in Daehyun University. He spent time in the library and most of the time, he would borrow law books in the National Library and bring them home. It became his habit for the whole month. He realized that he became different from the usual Sungmin who would rather go out than read some books.

Sungmin has changed, he realizes, as he closes the book and lies on his bed. He isn't exactly sleepy, but he wants to rest.

He sighs at the sight of the boring ceiling.

He then hears a knock from the door. He asks the person to come in his room. It is Sungjin, bringing him a tray with bowl of noodles.

"I know that this isn't the perfect food for reviewing, but here you go. I think that you're hungry because you haven't eaten since lunch time," Sungjin says and puts the tray on Sungmin's study table. Sungmin gets up and approaches Sungjin. "It's good to have some tasty treat sometimes."

"Thanks, Jin," Sungmin  taps his brother's shoulder.

"Hyung," Sungjin faces Sungmin who turns to him as well. Sungjin looks away. "Is it really over?"

"What is?" Sungmin asks.

"You and... Kyuhyun hyung," Sungjin answers. He is a bit doubtful. As he expects, Sungmin's face gets dark, but after a split second, it glows again as his older brother smiles at him. Sungjin dislikes it the most and he can't take it anymore. He can't take his hyung's fake smile anymore. He bursts, finally, as he looks at his older brother. "Stop pretending! I hate it when you're doing that!"

Sungmin is caught off-guard at the sudden outburst.

"I know... I really know that you're just pretending. Kyuhyun hyung once said that the heart could never be forced to love someone or hate someone. And I know your heart, hyung! You love him. You are just a coward!" Sungjin shouts. "I was really a proud younger brother. But now... I can't be proud of someone like you!"

Sungjin runs away. Sungmin bites his lower lip as he prevents himself from crying. But it is already late. His eyes are already getting redder as tears fall. He puts his palm on his face and sits on the bed.

No matter what, his decision is final. Even if he is hurting. Even if he is in pain.

***

Sungmin has a visitor the next day. It is Ryeowook.

"I missed you," Ryeowook hugs Sungmin as soon as he opens the door. Sungmin hugs him back. "You're always busy nowadays. You don't even hangout in the ice cream parlor anymore!"

"But you see me in school everyday," Sungmin pulls himself from the hug and lets Ryeowook in. "Why would you miss me?"

"You're always looking away, thinking about things whenever we're together, so you're there but it seems like you are not there," Ryeowook says as he sits on the sofa. "Anyway, I will take the Harvard entrance exam tomorrow. We thought, Kyuhyun would also take the exam but we found out that Kyuhyun's exempted because he has the highest grade out of all students in Inhwan and besides, he got a scholarship. I will have to take the exam even if I have a scholarship because I am just the number one in class, not in the entire school."

"Oh," Sungmin utters, lacking of things to say. Ryeowook gets disappointed.

"Yah! Am I really your best friend? What did you really do to my best friend!?" Ryeowook complains. "You always have high spirits whenever I do things on my own. Why don't you do it now?"

"It doesn't actually change the fact that you would pass. You don't need my encouragement because you're the smartest and kindest person that I know," Sungmin sits beside Ryeowook. "And... I know you would do well because if you don't, Kyuhyun would just go alone, and you wouldn't want that, right?"

Ryeowook hugs Sungmin. "You're indeed my best friend!"

Sungmin exhales. Ryeowook pulls himself. "Are you okay? Are you sick?"

"I am okay," Sungmin assures. "Anyway, what do you like for snack?"

"Good thing, you asked," Ryeowook excitedly says. "We haven't really celebrated the day that Kyuhyun and I got together, right? I would like to invite you to the club where I first realized that I was in love with Kyuhyun. Let's celebrate tonight."

"Eh?" Sungmin furrows his eyebrows. "I need to ask... where did you take my best friend to!?"

Ryeowook laughs sarcastically. "Funny," he comments as he rolls his eyes. "Seriously. Kyuhyun's alright about it! I asked if I could take Donghae and the rest of the gang and he said that it would be nice."

"But you're taking the exam tomorrow, will it be okay for you?" Sungmin asks worriedly. "I mean... you know... you might get drunk-"

"I won't even drink!" Ryeowook assures. "I never drink, right? You're my best friend so you know it, right?"

Sungmin awkwardly smiles. He is still curious. Why did Kyuhyun agree to that idea? "Y-Yeah, but-"

"No buts!" Ryeowook stands. "That is it. I can't reach you through your phone so I inform you personally. See you later. If you don't show up, I will hate you forever!"

Sungmin is about to speak again but Ryeowook almost rushes to leave.

***

Sungmin has no choice but to show up. But he decided to stay for just an hour and he'll finally leave for the reason that he has articles to read.

He arrives at the venue a little bit earlier so he finds an available table. The waiter attends to him and asks him for his order. Sungmin refuses to order and tells the waiter to take the order when all his friends have arrived already.

He tries to relax but his heart is beating so fast. He's going to see Kyuhyun again. He's going to pretend like nothing happened between them again.

It has been a month, so calm down Sungmin, he thinks. He sighs deeply as he decides to go to the toilet to prepare himself but as he stands, he sees Kyuhyun and Ryeowook entering the venue. Donghae is following them.

"Aish, if only I knew that being a third party will feel like this," Donghae complains as he goes to Sungmin. "Good thing, you're already here, Sungmin. I won't be so out of place."

Sungmin smiles but he does not say any word.

His eyes automatically focus on Kyuhyun and Ryeowook's intertwined hands. Something aches in his heart but he ignores as he tries to look away. Sungmin chooses to sit when Donghae sits beside him. Kyuhyun and Ryeowook on the other hand sits across Sungmin and Donghae. "Ryeowook is really sweet with Kyuhyun, and I would really envy the two," he comments.

"Where's Hyukjae and Yesung?" Sungmin asks to divert the topic to something else.

"Well, that Hyukjae's coming but I don't think Yesung's going," Donghae answers. "I wonder if Yesung would go. I know, he has a crush on Ryeowook so I don't think he'll be celebrating with us-"

"Yah! It's not like that! Yesung and I are friends," Ryeowook tucks himself to Kyuhyun as he hugs Kyuhyun's arm who in turn looks at Ryeowook while smiling sweetly. "Don't get jealous, okay?"

"I won't be jealous, Wook," Kyuhyun says and touches his boyfriend's chin. "You're mine, right?"

He might be imagining things, Sungmin swears that Kyuhyun looks at him mockingly after doing that to Ryeowook, and exchanges of stares just happen for about two seconds. Sungmin's chest constricts as he sees the couple in front of him being lovey-dovey all of a sudden.

"Y-You're dating well," Sungmin comments out of the blue. Kyuhyun automatically looks at him and he is caught off guard again that he looks at Ryeowook instead. "I've not seen you since I quit my job so I haven't seen you in action. Now that I see you, I feel nice."

He feels that Kyuhyun sends him a telepathic gaze while thinking, Liar. Sungmin gets the message clearly but he just shrugs it off.

"I think we need to order," Donghae intervenes as he calls the waiter. He chooses an alcoholic drink for himself. "Sungmin?"

"I will take a mocktail, I guess," Sungmin tells the waiter.

"What happened to that Sungmin who drinks alcohol?" Kyuhyun suddenly asks. Sungmin automatically looks at Kyuhyun who is smirking at him. "I mean, have you been trying to change?"

"I-I'm," Sungmin stutters, but he tries to recover. "Fine then. I will take a bottle of beer. Give me the strongest one," he turns to the waiter. The waiter nods and writes his order and Donghae's.

Kyuhyun looks at Ryeowook. "Shall I order for you?"

Ryeowook nods. "Anything but alcoholic drinks, okay?" Ryeowook reminds.

"I thought we're celebrating," Kyuhyun asks. "If you celebrate, you need to drink some alcohol."

"Okay, I guess it's not bad-"

"Wook! You're taking the exam tomorrow," Sungmin reminds. "You can't be drunk."

"Relax, Min. I can handle it. I won't drink if I can't go on or if I can't take it," Ryeowook tells Sungmin. He then turns to the waiter. "I am not aware of all the drinks, but please give me the one with lowest alcoholic content."

"That's better," Kyuhyun comments as he kisses Ryeowook's forehead then he looks at the waiter. "Please give me the same as the gentleman over there," he points at Sungmin who is still very speechless because of the act of Kyuhyun kissing Ryeowook's forehead. Kyuhyun looks at him and he almost freezes. He just looks at Donghae and talks about random things.

"How's school?" He asks randomly. "I mean... where are you going to take your entrance exam?"

"Well, as I told you, I was planning to take over my Dad's restaurant business," Donghae replies. "I am taking up culinary arts, of course. I have practical tests and examinations next week. Do you want to come?"

"Sure!" He answers almost immediately, without thinking. "I want to see the practical tests and taste some yummy food that you would cook."

Donghae's eyes glitter. "Okay then! We can meet at-"

"Let's play a game," Kyuhyun interferes. "Dare or Drink. Do you like to do it?"

"What are the rules?" Donghae asks. "Ryeowook doesn't need to drink right?"

"If he can't do the dare, then he has to," Kyuhyun says. "Don't worry. Ryeowook's drink isn't as hard as ours so it won't harm him, right?" Kyuhyun asks Ryeowook who nods simultaneously.

"I think it would be unfair to Ryeowook," Sungmin comments. "Let's just exempt him from playing-"

"I don't want to be a killjoy, Sungmin," Ryeowook tells Sungmin. "It's okay. And it's not that I will not win!"

Sungmin sighs as he looks at Kyuhyun. Why is he doing this? Why is he acting like this?

"Are we late?" a familiar voice asks. Donghae's face darkens as he sees Hyukjae and Yesung. While Yesung sits beside Kyuhyun, Hyukjae sits beside Sungmin, to Donghae's annoyance. "I heard you are going to have a game. We like to join. What are the rules?"

"The rules are simple. Let's spin a bottle. If the mouth of the bottle turns to you, you're the one who would do the dare. If the bottom of the bottle points to you, you're the one who will give the dare. The spinner of the bottle will receive the dare, just in case the person would need another player to complete the dare. If he can't do the dare, then he has to drink instead. The person who would do the dare will be the next spinner," Kyuhyun explains. "Are you alright with it?"

Everyone nods except Sungmin who is still thinking about Kyuhyun's plan. When the others are looking at him, he just nods.

Hyukjae and Yesung also asks for a drink.

Once their orders arrive, they start the game.

Kyuhyun spins the bottle first. The mouth of the bottle points to Donghae and the bottom points to Yesung. Yesung gives an easy dare to Donghae by asking him to dance in the dance floor. Donghae confidently walks in the middle of the dance floor and dances freestyle. Everyone, including Sungmin and the rest, cheers for Donghae. Donghae goes back to the table and sits again.

"Woah, that is not that hard," Donghae boasts and starts spinning the bottle. It points to Sungmin and the bottom points to Kyuhyun. Sungmin awkwardly looks a at Kyuhyun for his dare. "Drink a full glass of beer."

"That's unfair, Kyuhyun," Ryeowook laughs. "Even if he says he doesn't want to do it, he's going to drink."

"Of course, I'll drink it. It's nothing to me," Sungmin drinks one glass of beer in one shot and pours more into his glass. I thought he would give me a hard dare.

"Let's change the rules," Kyuhyun says before Sungmin can spin. "We will do one dare that we will decide as a group until everyone has finished doing that dare. The dare can be done repeatedly by one person. The spinner will be the ones doing receiving the dare if it is needed. When the mouth of the bottle points to the person, he will do the dare."

"I think it's fine," Hyukjae comments. "But what dare can we all do... oh! Kiss!"

"K-Kiss!?" Sungmin questions. "T-That means... I'll..."

Donghae's and Hyukjae's faces light up as they agree. "Call!" They almost shout in unison then they glare at each other.

"But what if someone else gets to do the dare. What if it's Yesung, or me? Or Kyuhyun?" asks Ryeowook.

"We can choose to do it or drink," Kyuhyun answers and looks at Sungmin who is looking back at him, confused. "It doesn't mean you need to do it, right?"

"Okay then, let's start," Yesung says. "Spin the bottle, Sungmin."

Sungmin nervously spins the bottle. Please not Kyuhyun, please not Kyuhyun. It points to Yesung. Sungmin sighs in relief when Yesung drinks the beer.

"I have high respect for Sungmin so I won't kiss him," Yesung tells everyone as he takes a glass of beer down. He prepares to spin and luckily for him, the bottle points to Ryeowook. Ryeowook looks at Kyuhyun who just stares back at him without any expression. Ryeowook closes his eyes tightly as he drinks a glass of his drink. Kyuhyun pats Ryeowook's shoulder while Sungmin worries over his best friend.

"I won't kiss anyone else in front of my boyfriend," Ryeowook tells everyone and it gains cheer from Donghae. Yesung's eyebrows furrow as he looks at Ryeowook who has his arm around Kyuhyun's arm.

"Boyfriend?" He looks at everyone in confusion.

"Yes, didn't you know? We are here to celebrate their month as a couple!" Donghae informs Yesung who is still confused.

"But I thought..." Yesung comments as his voice tones down a little. He looks at Ryeowook who hugs Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun smiles at him. "O-Oh."

"Don't get hurt, Yesung," Donghae tells Yesung. "You would find someone else too."

"N-No, it's not that, I'm..." Yesung trails off as he looks at the table for he doesn't know where else to look.

"Let's continue," Kyuhyun speaks again as the master of the game. "Ryeowook, it's your turn to spin. I would appreciate it if that would point to me," Kyuhyun winks and Ryeowook almost squeals in giddiness. He spins and it points to Kyuhyun, as expected. Ryeowook squeals and Kyuhyun pats Ryeowook's head. "Good job, baby."

While the others are cheering, Sungmin feels awkward as he stares at the couple in front of him. Ryeowook shyly kisses Kyuhyun on the lips for a very long time so he feels something that pierces inside his heart. He tries to be okay by shrugging it off and cheering as they end the kiss and Kyuhyun glances at him secretly. Their eyes meet for a split second so Sungmin pretends to be happy about it. Kyuhyun clenches his fist on the side.

"I'll spin it then," Kyuhyun says and the bottle points to Sungmin. Sungmin is caught off-guard when Kyuhyun stares at him without any clear expression. Sungmin heart beats fast as silence covers the whole table. He gulps as he gets a glass of beer and drinks it in one shot again. He wipes the excess liquid on his mouth and spins without saying anything. It points to Donghae who is of course, overjoyed.

"Is it okay?" Donghae asks Sungmin. Hyukjae on the other hand is glaring at Donghae who obviously likes it and pretends that he still wants to seek permission from Sungmin.

Sungmin takes a second to nod then he closes his eyes. Donghae carefully holds Sungmin's shoulders as he faces him. After a few seconds, he pulls Sungmin for a kiss.

"Oh my gosh!" Ryeowook cheers and happily claps as he looks at Kyuhyun who is just staring at the couple in front of him. He has no facial expression whatsoever but Ryeowook can see his boyfriend's eyes. He shrugs it off and pretends that he does not see so he continues to cheer. "You are so cute together!"

Kyuhyun stands all of a sudden and it makes Donghae and Sungmin stop and look at him.

"Where are you going?" Ryeowook asks when Kyuhyun walks away. "Toilet?"

"Yes, toilet. Don't worry, please continue the game. I'll be right back," He smiles at Ryeowook and cups his face before going to the toilet.

***

"You're not really pleased at that sight, right?"

Kyuhyun turns to the person who enters the toilet. It is Yesung. He turns to the mirror again and stares at it. He leans on the lavatory and opens the faucet to wash his hands, pretending that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

"Since when... since when did you fall in love with Ryeowook?" Yesung asks as he stands beside Kyuhyun. He opens the faucet as well and washes his hands as he stares at the mirror, then he looks at Kyuhyun who is facing forward. "I don't think you are. Really. After that instance."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Kyuhyun turns the faucet off and prepares to leave, but Yesung holds his arm and pushes him on the wall using his arm. "Let go of me," Kyuhyun mutters as he glares at Yesung who is glaring back at him.

"If you hurt Ryeowook at all cost, you will pay," Yesung warns.

"If you're so concerned about him, why are you even playing the coward card?" Kyuhyun questions Yesung who is in turn gnashes his teeth. "You're so concerned about him that you are assaulting me right now. Why, because you have no chance anymore?" He smirks.

Yesung grabs Kyuhyun's collar tightly. "I know for a fact that you and Sungmin are more than friends. I know that you love him as much as I love Ryeowook, and that you never really cared about Ryeowook. Why are you doing this now?"

Kyuhyun pushes Yesung and fixes his collar as he looks at Yesung. "Things change. But you're right," Kyuhyun says as he walks away from Yesung. "I am in love with Sungmin. But like what he said, I am giving Ryeowook and I a chance since he can't lose his bestfriend. He'd rather lose me."

***

Kyuhyun returns and sits beside Ryeowook. He calls the waiter and orders more of his drink even though he hasn't finished the first one yet.

"Are you alright?" Ryeowook asks.

"I am fine," Kyuhyun reassures as he takes the bottle of beer in one go. "Is the game over?"

"We can still play," Donghae says. "After all, I like this game."

"Ugh!" Hyukjae grunts. "Go and spin it Donghae! Don't be too happy because you got to kiss Sungmin."

Donghae smirks at Hyukjae who is surely pissed then he spins the bottle and it points to Hyukjae. "Ew! Why does it have to be you!?" Hyukjae drinks his beer in one go. "I'd rather take in alcohol than to kiss you."

"It's as if I want to kiss you!" Donghae comments. "Oh! We're all finished? What else can we do? Shall we try the drinking game?"

"We have to go now, Hyukjae. Our parents are waiting for us," Yesung then turns to all and informs everyone that they need to get going.

Hyukjae sighs. "Well then. We'll be going. We have to attend some business party as well. Let's try this next time, okay? And I won't lose to you!" Hyukjae tells Donghae who is just smirking to annoy the hell out of Hyukjae. Hyukjae bids his farewell and follows Yesung who is the first one to go.

"So... I think it's nice if we just have a chitchat or something," Donghae suggests. Ryeowook agrees with the idea. "Since Sungmin has been busy with his studies."

"I agree," Ryeowook nods excitedly and turns to Sungmin. "What have you been doing these past few days? It's as if we exchanged our fate."

"I study, that's all. I want to be a great lawyer so I need to pass-"

"Really, so you think you can manage to do that in one go?" Kyuhyun cuts Sungmin's explanation, he is looking straight at Sungmin who is looking back at him. Sungmin does not react, instead, he looks at Donghae.

"I need to pass the entrance exam, and it is near enough," Sungmin tells Donghae. "Do you want to cheer me on?"

"Of course! Since you're going to cheer me on, I will also go to your entrance exam venue and treat you something," Donghae smiles back. "We can also go to Mokpo and visit my parents."

"Woah! Really?" Sungmin excitedly claps in excitement. "I would love to see how your restaurant is doing. I-"

"You're in good terms again? Woah, is that because of the kiss?" Kyuhyun asks as he downs one more glass of beer and almost breaks the glass when he forecfully puts it on the table.

Sungmin's eyebrows furrow as he glares at Kyuhyun. Why are you even acting like this!? he questions as he continues to search for answers when their eyes meet.

"I guess they will be so cute together," Ryeowook comments as he looks at Kyuhyun. He then turns to Sungmin. "Min, I hope you'll still give Donghae a chance so everyone will be happy."

Kyuhyun speaks again. "Yeah, why don't you both give yourselves a chance? You both look good anyway." There is sarcasm in his voice but no one pays attention to it. He drinks another glass of beer that is taken by the waiter. Then he looks at Ryeowook. "Aren't you going to finish yours? I will just take it-"

"No," Ryeowook stops Kyuhyun when the latter almost gets Ryeowook's drink. Ryeowook drinks it in one go even though he doesn't like its taste. His face turns bitter as he tries to finish it all.

"Ryeowook! You can't just take it in one go," Sungmin tells Ryeowook. However, Ryeowook still finishes it in one go. "Wook..."

"I can't let Kyuhyun drink mine because he's already a bit intoxicated," Ryeowook then turns to Kyuhyun who is still trying to drink another glass. "Let's go, Kyuhyun. You are a bit drunk now."

"No, I am not," Kyuhyun assures as he squeezes Ryeowook's hand. "But for starters, you are good. Do you want to order more?"

"Kyuhyun, I think it's not good for Ryeowook to drink more-"

Kyuhyun sends a death glare to Donghae who is frozen. "He's my boyfriend, Donghae. You don't tell me what to do."

"Kyuhyun..." Ryeowook pulls Kyuhyun's arm.

"We can go... just let me finish the others. If you want, you can order another one," Kyuhyun tells Ryeowook. "I promise, we will go if you drink another one and I finish all of this."

Ryeowook looks so scared about drinking another batch of alcohol, but he tries to call the waiter. Sungmin cannot stand it so he confronts Kyuhyun. "Yah! Why are you forcing Ryeowook to drink!? You know he has a test tomorrow, right!?"

"Why do you ever care? It's not your business," Kyuhyun matches the level of Sungmin's voice. "And besides, Ryeowook will not mind, right?"

"Stop it, I say. Stop forcing him-"

"Who is the one forcing another!?" Kyuhyun shouts. Donghae and Ryeowook both look at Sungmin and Kyuhyun simultaneously. Ryeowook pulls Kyuhyun so that he can calm down, but the latter just smirks at Ryeowook. "I am sorry. I will just be going to the toilet again." Kyuhyun pulls himself from Ryeowook's grasp and goes to the toilet. Sungmin follows him to confront him so he holds Kyuhyun's shoulder and pulls him when they are inside the toilet. Kyuhyun smirks at Sungmin. "What now..."

"You're being a jerk, Kyuhyun! Why are you even doing this to Ryeowook? You know that he can't drink," Sungmin  sks Kyuhyun who is still staring at him.

"Is that really the issue, Sungmin?" Kyuhyun asks. "Oh, I forget, he's your best friend. Of course, you care about him more than you care about anyone, including me. That's why you let me go, right? Now you're asking me why I am doing this to Ryeowook?"

"I can't understand why you need to abuse Ryeowook's feelings for you that he does everything to satisfy you," Sungmin tells Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun laughs bitterly. "That is what you want, right? Why can't I do it?"

"Because he doesn't deserve it!" Sungmin yells. "He doesn't deserve being treated like that."

"Then do you think I deserve to be treated like this, Sungmin?" Kyuhyun retorts back with a question in which Sungmin cannot answer. "Do you know the answer why I am doing this? I want Ryeowook to realize that I am not any good for him so that he can give up on me."

"You don't need to do that-"

"Then what shall I do to make you come back to me?" Kyuhyun asks as he pushes Sungmin against the door and locks it. "Tell me... what can I do for you to come back?"

Sungmin feels awkward when Kyuhyun's body is literally close to him. Kyuhyun searches for his eyes but he keeps on looking away. Kyuhyun finally caresses his cheek as he tries to meet Sungmin's eyes. When he finally meets his eyes, Kyuhyun finds time to capture his lips.

Damn, he misses Kyuhyun's lips. There isn't a day that he doesn't, but he is bugged by his conscience that he tries to push Kyuhyun. He successfully leaves Kyuhyun's lips as he mumbles his name. "K-Kyuhyun... stop-"

But Kyuhyun keeps on searching for his lips and captures them as if begging for him to kiss back.

However, Sungmin's urge to stop is stronger so he pushes Kyuhyun as strong as he can. "P-Please... stop. This is wrong." Sungmin opens the door and leaves Kyuhyun as soon as he can. He goes to the table and tells everyone that he needs to go as casually as possible, stopping his tears from falling down. He quickly leaves the club. When he gets out, he stops by a post and finally cries his heart out.

He doesn't want it to end, and he wants to come back to Kyuhyun, but he knows he can't. He loves that guy so much to the point that he realizes his mistake of letting Kyuhyun go for his best friend. He could have continued to be selfish until the end. but it is already to late to do that. However, he can't back out or it can be worse.

"Sungmin..." Someone calls him. He tries to wipe his tears to pretend that there is nothing wrong. When he turns around, he is shocked to feel Donghae's lips on his. Sungmin isn't able to react immediately. Donghae leaves his lips and cups his face with both hands. "I will confess to you again. I'm in love with you, Sungmin. I am really. Can I ask you a favor? Can you give me a chance to prove that I won't ever make you cry? Please... please be my boyfriend."

Sungmin's tears fall.

If it's what he needs to get over Kyuhyun.

Then why not.

He stares at Donghae and nods. "Can we... start it now?"

Donghae smiles sweetly as he hugs Sungmin. "I am happy!"

***

Hyukjae receives a news after two days. He is very devastated.

"Hyukjae," Yesung arrives and calls his name.

"I lost, right? I lost," Hyukjae smiles bitterly and tucks his head on his study table. "I lost against Donghae because Sungmin chose him. Am I not good enough? It hurts so bad, Jongwoon."

Yesung sighs. If Hyukjae mentions his real name, he is sure that it is a real deal. "I... I have something to tell you. I don't think Sungmin loves Donghae."

"Would that make any difference?" Hyukjae asks as he looks at Yesung. "And how could Sungmin accept Donghae's confession if he is not in love with him?"

"Because the person he loves is dating his best friend," Yesung says and sits on Hyukjae's bed. "Sungmin and Kyuhyun are in love with each other. So bad that Kyuhyun is willing to risk his life for him and Sungmin is willing to let go of Kyuhyun even if he is hurting."

Hyukjae stands and faces Yesung completely. "What are you saying!? How could-"

"Believe me, Hyukjae. I've seen everything," Yesung tells Hyukjae seriously. "Remember when Sungmin was captured by that stalker? Kyuhyun was so frantic and worried about Sungmin that he went in, alone, to save Sungmin. That night at the club, do you see how Sungmin hurt when Ryeowook kisses Kyuhyun?"

Hyukjae falls into a deep thought. He remembers what Taemin has told him before. And that night when Taemin called Sungmin - apparently it was Kyuhyun's birthday. Those stares - he is sure - those are a sign of love.

"In that case, I still lost. Sungmin's in love with someone else and it's not me," Hyukjae murmurs. "But... Donghae..." He then decides to dial his assistant's number. "Please search for Donghae's contact number."

***

Sungmin goes with Donghae to cheer on him fo his practical examinations.

Along with the others who are watching their loved ones cooking inside the practical examination kitchen, Sungmin watches his boyfriend cook, and he is proud of him. Donghae is very industrious and passionate about cooking, so Sungmin knows that his boyfriend will pass the exams and he will make his parents proud.

Donghae wipes his sweat then looks at Sungmin from a huge glass that divides the kitchen and the visitors area then he waves at him. Sungmin waves back with a thrifty smile on his face.

The practical examination is over so Donghae immediately approaches Sungmin and holds his hand tightly as he stares at his boyfriend. Sungmin gives him a proud smile. "How was the test?"

"It was difficult but I remembered that someone special was watching me so I didn't get too nervous," Donghae tells Sungmin. "Let's go? The results will be up in an hour so let's eat first?"

Sungmin nods.

***

"How was the interview, Kyuhyun?" Ryeowook asks Kyuhyun as soon as he exits the interview room. Representatives from Harvard Scholarship came at Inhwan to interview the possible scholars. Kyuhyun's recommended so he only has to attend the formal interview just to know his personal goals and development, as well as his basic knowledge about law. "The examinations went well too last Monday, since you were not able to go with me."

Kyuhyun did not go with Ryeowook to cheer on him for his examinations because of the reason that he was not feeling well. Ryeowook was disappointed but he told him that it was alright. "Why did you come?" Kyuhyun asks Ryeowook coldly as he passes him by. Ryeowook follows him.

"I thought it would be nice if I could cheer on you, Kyuhyun, as your boyfriend," Ryeowook replies. "Aren't you happy to see me? We haven't seen each other since we went to the club."

Kyuhyun stops from walking and faces Ryeowook. "You have classes. Why did you skip? You're a candidate for honors yet you are slacking here."

"I am not slacking, I just... want to support you," Ryeowook tells Kyuhyun. "Is that bad? Sungmin skipped classes too just to support Donghae's practical examinations. Why can't I do that to my boyfriend?"

Kyuhyun does not speak. He found out from Ryeowook the day before that Donghae is Sungmin's boyfriend already when Ryeowook texted him in the middle of studying for the interview. He was devastated. He was hurt. Is it really over for us? He asked himself as he cried.

"Go back," Kyuhyun commands after a while and walks away. Ryeowook follows him and holds his arm and hugs him.

"I don't want to," he says to Kyuhyun as he tries to hold onto him. "I want to go with you because I miss you and because I am your boyfriend."

Kyuhyun pulls his arm from Ryeowook. "You're annoying." Kyuhyun walks away and Ryeowook freezes from where he is standing. His tears fall, but he smiles as he convinces himself that Kyuhyun is just tired.

"Y-Yes... maybe I am too annoying."

***

Sungmin laughs as Donghae tries to joke around. "Good thing you're laughing now."

"Eh?" Sungmin stops from laughing. Donghae holds his hand.

"I realized that you've been down lately so I want to cheer you up, just like how you cheer me up," Donghae says as he squeezes Sungmin's hand. "I feel so guilty about you skipping your classes just to watch me. I need to make it up to you."

"It doesn't need to be reciprocated, Donghae," Sungmin smiles. "And besides, I promised, right?"

"You did," Donghae smiles back. "By the way, thanks for being there. You literally gave me strength. Whether I pass or not, I would still be contented."

"You'll pass. I believe that you can do it," Sungmin replies.

After a while, Donghae looks outside the window and sees Kyuhyun walking alone. "Oh, it's Kyuhyun! Let's invite him!"

Sungmin pulls his hand from Donghae's grasp as he looks down. Donghae tells Sungmin that he is just going to invite Kyuhyun to eat with them and chases after his best friend. After a few minutes, Donghae arrives with Kyuhyun who sits beside Donghae.

"Where's Ryeowook?" Donghae asks as soon as he sits on the chair. Kyuhyun looks away.

"I don't know," Kyuhyun replies without looking at Donghae and Sungmin. Sungmin just looks away too. Kyuhyun, on the other hand looks back at Donghae. "I actually heard from Ryeowook that it is your exam today so I think your boyfriend cheered you on?" Kyuhyun's voice is a bit monotone, so Sungmin looks at Kyuhyun who stares at him and then he gives him a smile. Sungmin's heart skips a beat as their eyes meet. "I heard that you and Donghae are now dating. Congratulations."

Sungmin nods and smiles thriftily.

"Yes, it's only been two days," Donghae informs Kyuhyun. "I asked him that night when we went to the club."

"Oh, really," Kyuhyun's tone shifts from monotone to sarcastic as he does not remove his stare at Sungmin. "You would make a lovely couple."

There is an awkward silence and they are saved by Donghae's phone ringtone. "Oh, someone's calling. It isn't a familiar number so I guess it's from the university? Mind if I answer this for a while? I'll leave you guys in a while; I will come back soon," Donghae tells Sungmin who almost stands to follows Donghae, but he realizes that Donghae needs to be alone so he just remains seated, hoping that Kyuhyun would not speak or anything.

"I had my interview today... for the scholarship," Kyuhyun informs Sungmin who turns to the man in front of him. "Ryeowook skipped class just to see me and cheer me on... but," Kyuhyun pauses and looks intently at Sungmin. He then continues, "he's not the one I was waiting for to go and ask how my interview went. Sadly, the person that I was waiting for was watching someone else. He was watching his boyfriend."

Sungmin does not speak, but every word pierces in his heart. His tears are threatening to fall, but he needs to be stronger. He swallows the imaginary lump in his throat and it is painful. "I-I'm... I'm sorry."

Kyuhyun lets go a bitter laugh. "There isn't a need to be sorry. Donghae's your boyfriend. Your priority. I am not, and I will not be delusional enough to think that you are still... mine," Kyuhyun stands. "I'll be going now. Please tell Donghae that I'll head first." Kyuhyun stands and prepares to leave. Sungmin is about to stand and grasp his wrist when Donghae arrives.

"Oh, you're going?" Donghae asks Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun nods and walks away. Donghae returns to his seat. "It was Hyukjae. He said he wanted to talk so I-" He stops talking when he sees Sungmin looking more down. He sighs as he remembers what Hyukjae told him over the phone.

***

"We need to talk, Donghae."

Donghae smirked. "What is there that we would talk about? How you lost? How Sungmin becomes mine and you accept defeat now? Well, thanks Hyukjae for your congratulations-"

"Sungmin's not in love with you," Hyukjae insisted over the phone. "He's in love with someone else. And that someone else is in love with him too."

"You're not making any sense! You're bitter about us going out so you're saying nonsense. I am hanging up. Bye-"

"If you care about him and your best friend a lot, meet me so that we can talk. I don't care if you don't believe me but I know that you love Sungmin as much as I do so you would listen to me and listen to him as well," Hyukjae tells him. "Tomorrow, at the ice cream parlor, five in the afternoon." Hyukjae hangs up. Donghae is speechless.

***

Donghae has Sungmin's hand in his hand but it feels rather cold.

They are on their way back to the examination room to see Donghae's results, but no one is saying any word.

Donghae and Sungmin walks towards the bulletin board where results are, and he sees his examination number. "Sungmin! I made it!"

Sungmin smiles as he taps Donghae's back when the latter hugs him tightly. "Congratulations. I am so proud of you."

His voice is a little soft, so Donghae's smile fades away. He does not remove his hug from his boyfriend but he feels really different.

"If you care about him and your best friend a lot, meet me so that we can talk. I don't care if you don't believe me but I know that you love Sungmin as much as I do so you would listen to me and listen to him as well."

Donghae lets go of Sungmin and pretends that he is normal. "Because I passed, I would also accompany you to your exam site on Saturday. I will cheer you on," he pinches Sungmin's cheeks. Sungmin nods.

***

Days passed too quickly.

Donghae is waiting at the bench near Daehyun's university law examination hall with his fingers intertwined together.

It's been six days since he and Sungmin went dating, and it's been four days since he talked with Hyukjae and three days since he was bugged by what he told him.

He was mad, and he didn't want to believe. He thought that Hyukjae was just lying to separate him and Sungmin. He cried that night because he had to know those things from someone else - from his mortal enemy, the worst.

He has long known how his best friend and his boyfriend looked at each other, how Kyuhyun went all protective to Sungmin, how Sungmin looked so down when Kyuhyun and Ryeowook started dating, when Sungmin cried for quite a number of times because he was hurting, how Kyuhyun was thinking about Sungmin all the time, how the two had their happy days. It pained him, but he needed confirmation from both of them. He needed to hear those words even if it would not benefit him at all.

He loves Sungmin and if he is just going to keep him for himself, he will not forgive himself.

He loves Sungmin.

Very much.

He approaches Sungmin as he exits the examination room. He knows he is going to pass anyway so he is not nervous. But Donghae hugs him tightly. Tightly because he might not be able to do it anymore.

His tears fall as he congratulates Sungmin. "I am so proud of you, Sungmin. I love you. I really do."

***

From a good distance, Kyuhyun can see them. How he wishes that he is in Donghae's place, hugging that same person, wishing him good luck with the results although he knows Sungmin's going to make it.

He has been there for hours, secretly cheering for the person he loves the most.

"Congratulations, Sungmin. I know you're going to make it," he says. Tears fall from his eyes as he turns around and walks away.

***

《DONGHAE :( KYUHYUN :( SUNGMIN :(》