Chapter 29

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 29 - Ice Cream Parlor Renovation, Start!

♡♥♡

It's been a couple of days since Sungmin and Kyuhyun learns Manager Han's situation. Manager Han informed all his employees a day before that the ice cream parlor is temporarily closing down due to its renovation. Of course, everyone was disappointed because everyone was relying on the ice cream parlor. But Manager Han gave them another option - if the employees were willing to help in the renovation, of course with pay, but lesser than their original salary.

Many of them permanently quit because of the fact that they could not stay jobless for a month and a half.

While Sungmin - he has to work for Manager Han because he learns to love the ice cream parlor already and of course, he needs money to buy the seed for his project. However, he knows that he needs more money or else he cannot make the flower bloom in one month and a half.

He decides to find another work aside from being a part-time construction worker.

Sungmin does not know, however, Kyuhyun has already purchased a seed of marigold, the fastest-growing flower he can ever think of. He initially wanted to buy a seed that would produce a pink flower, but, although possible, it is difficult. He planted it a day after Manager Han's announcement. He plans to surprise Sungmin.

"Aish, Kyuhyun! Help me find a job!"

Sungmin calls Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun has just finished sprinkling water and fertilizer to the soil. "What?"

"I need a summer job," Sungmin repeats. "I need to buy a seed for my project."

Kyuhyun laughs. "If you only didn't spend all your money last time."

"Stop it, Kyuhyun. I am problematic right now," Sungmin tells Kyuhyun. His voice is serious, so Kyuhyun stops laughing. "I can't ask my parents to give me money, you know. If my father learns about this make-up project, he'll surely decrease my allowance."

"You need to say 'please,'" Kyuhyun commands. Sungmin gasps. "Do it."

Sungmin yells, "No! I'll just ask Donghae!"

"No, you can't. He has no money right now, I bet, because his salary is divided into his allowance and his help to expand their business."

"Whatever you say, Kyuhyun. I know he does not have extra money, so I'll just ask him to accompany me," Sungmin says.

"No!" Kyuhyun almost shouts. "I-I mean. Okay fine. Let's go."

○●○

"Sorry, Sungmin. There is no vacancy as of this moment," the manager of a store at the plaza regretfully informs Sungmin. It is the last store. All of the establishments that they went in to had no job vacancies.

Sungmin sighs. He is very tired. It is almost four in the afternoon. He exits the shop after bowing to the manager as a sign of respect. Kyuhyun follows him.

"I told you," Kyuhyun speaks. "Everyone is cutting their costs, you know. They can't accomodate more employees."

"This is a very unlucky day. I guess I need to ask my parents for money," Sungmin says and then he looks at Kyuhyun. "Are you not getting another job? You're a workaholic. I think you can't live without working, right?"

Kyuhyun grins. "Who told you that?"

Sungmin points to himself.

There is a minute of silence. Kyuhyun speaks to break it. "Do you want to go to the ice cream parlor and start helping Manager Han?"

"I guess I have no choice but to do that," Sungmin says. "Besides, I can still earn some money through that."

○●○

"Kyuhyun, Sungmin? Can you buy some of these?" Manager Han gives a sheet of paper to Kyuhyun who immediately approaches the manager. "We'll be needing these tomorrow so might as well buy it today so that we won't waste time tomorrow."

The two of them and Donghae are the only ones left helping Manager Han. Donghae also volunteered to help Manager Han, knowing that Sungmin is helping as well. However, all other employees were not willing to do such work. Manager Han is very thankful to them.

"Can I go with them, Manager Han?" Donghae asks.

"Well, two is enough, and there is a lot of areas left to paint. Sorry, Donghae," Manager Han answers. He looks at Kyuhyun and winks at him secretly, leaving the latter confused.

"Don't worry Donghae, we'll be back right away," Sungmin says to Donghae. "Don't miss me too much."

Donghae smirks. "Don't worry, Sungmin, I know you'll come back."

Sungmin chuckles. He really likes how Donghae rides on with his jokes. However, Kyuhyun, on the other hand, displays a poker face. He is not pleased. 

When will they ever stop flirting when I'm around? Kyuhyun thinks as he rolls his eyes secretly. He walks towards the exit, not waiting for Sungmin. Sungmin almost runs to catch up. Annoying.

When they are almost several meters away from the ice cream parlor, Sungmin speaks while chuckling, "Donghae's really funny." Kyuhyun does not speak but he walks faster. Sungmin matches his pace. "Hey! Why are you walking so fast?"

"Because we need to hurry," Kyuhyun utters seriously.

"You're weird, does your mood change too much?" Sungmin asks.

"The two of you ruin my mood a lot of times," he mutters softly. Sungmin does not hear it though. "I want to go home now so let us hurry up."

When they finish buying all items listed in the paper, they go back to the ice cream parlor. And as expected, at least by Kyuhyun, Manager Han and Donghae are already gone. Kyuhyun also knows that Manager Han is behind all this. He is really pushing him and Sungmin together. Not that he dislikes it though.

Fortunately, Manager Han entrusts him the keys of the ice cream parlor so they are able to enter.

"So... are we going to leave these here?" Sungmin asks and puts down the bag of items that he is holding. Kyuhyun does the same. "They already left us. Did we spend too much time at the shop?"

Actually, Sungmin had a heated discussion with the customer who was yelling at the store clerk. He was drunk, so he was creating a commotion, disrupting the operation of the store. Sungmin was asking him to stop yelling and fighting with the store clerk because other customers were lining up. The drunk man continued, not minding Sungmin at all. Sungmin got mad but he resisted to grab the man's collar and punch him. He just kept on telling the drunk man to stop.

The drunk man, who became irritated at Sungmin started to create a scene by throwing some items from the rack. To prevent him from doing so, he was taken out from the store by some concerned individuals. The drunk man kept on shouting that Sungmin would pay for the embarrassment that he caused the former.

"Actually, we did," Kyuhyun says. "Come on. Let us just leave these here."

○●○

"See you tomorrow, then," Sungmin bids goodbye to Kyuhyun. He just waits for him to close the ice cream parlor's door before saying goodbye to him.

Kyuhyun does not speak, but he nods. Sungmin smiles and waves his hand before turning around. Kyuhyun watches him walk until he completely disappears from his sight. When he is about to turn around and leave, he sees the same drunk man glaring at Sungmin. Kyuhyun stops and looks back at Sungmin. Kyuhyun looks at the drunk man again who silently follows Sungmin.

He has a bad feeling about it, so he follows the two. They reach the street where Sungmin's house is. Scared that the drunk man would find out where Sungmin lives, Kyuhyun almost runs to grab the drunk man's arm and pulls him to a narrow alley. He slams him to the wall and glares at him. "Why are you following him!?" He asks softly yet emphatically. "If you value your life, leave him alone!"

"I-I'm living in a house on the same street," he answers, his voice stuttering. "I am not planning anything, I swear!"

"Do you think I am going to believe it!?" Kyuhyun asks as he grabs his collar. "Leave!"

The drunk man shoves Kyuhyun and ran in fear. Kyuhyun breathes simultaneously as he goes out from the alley.

"What are you doing there, Kyuhyun? Are you stalking me?" Sungmin laughs. "I had a feeling that someone was following me, so I hid behind the post on the corner of the street to confront him. Was that you, Kyuhyun?"

"Don't be ridiculous," Kyuhyun looks away. "Why would I stalk you? I was just... uh-"

"Why don't you have a good reason? You're stalking me, right?" Sungmin insists on asking. But later on, he stops teasing Kyuhyun. "Okay, I'll not-"

"I want you to be safe and sound until you reach your house," Kyuhyun answers. Sungmin feels his cheeks burning, so he looks away to keep it away from Kyuhyun. "Let me take you home so that I can be sure."

"Shut up, I can go home by myself," Sungmin says softly and leaves Kyuhyun. Then he talks to himself, "The jerk is doing it again! I really hate him!"

○●○

The next day, they are shocked to see paints spilled all over the floor and all over the walls. Other construction items are destroyed, too.

"Who the did this!?" Sungmin exclaims. He arrives at the ice cream parlor and sees Kyuhyun, Donghae and even Manager Han cleaning the mess. "Why did they do this?"

Donghae is the person who answers, "No one knows, Sungmin. I still don't know who can do this to us."

Sungmin quickly gets a mop and helps in cleaning the mess. "I swear, if I see the culprit who did this, I would mop his face!"

"Probably the drunk man you had a fight with yesterday," Kyuhyun speaks. "I saw him yesterday and he was looking at the ice cream parlor. Then he followed you, Sungmin. That was why I... I followed him and told him to go away."

Sungmin gets shocked. But he suddenly feels down for whatever reason. After a few moments, his anger rises again. "I'm going to make him eat this mop once I see him."

"But we're not sure yet, Sungmin," Manager Han says. "All we need to do now is to work harder to finish this before the deadline."

Sungmin sighs. "You're right, Manager Han. But I can't let this pass. I am going to catch the culprit whatever happens."

♡♥♡