Chapter 68

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 68 - A Night of Fear

♡♥♡

Only two months and it's already Christmas.

The wind outside is getting colder and colder. A month later, winter will finally take over. And of course, the ice cream parlor will not be as busy as usual.

Although they are serving coffee, hot chocolate and other drinks that kill chills, Manager Han has predicted that the ice cream parlor won't be a hit as other cafes and coffee shop. So he has no choice but to remove some people temporarily.

Sungmin is feeling bad about it.

"It happens every year, don't worry," Manager Han tells Sungmin. "I really decrease the number of manpower during these days."

"Manager Han, you don't have to remove the others. I guess they need the job more than I do," Sungmin says. "Donghae resigned already so..."

***

The day after the confession, they went back to Seoul. Donghae and Sungmin were both quiet on their way home.

Donghae spoke when he realized that Sungmin was feeling down.

"I'm alright, Sungmin," he said, reassuring Sungmin that even though he didn't accept his confession, it was alright. "At least, I got to say this personally to you."

"D-Donghae, I'm sorry-"

"Yes, it's painful. It hurts me, but we can still be friends, right? You don't love me the way I love you, but it feels right to continue doing so, this time with much lesser hope. Loving someone doesn't need to be reciprocated," Donghae said with a smile. His eyes were really sad, Sungmin could tell, but just for the sake of him, Donghae didn't show it to him. Donghae held his shoulder. "To have you is enough for me. And if one day you would need me, I would happily lend my shoulders for you."

Sungmin smiled meekly as he tapped Donghae's hand. "Thank you for understanding me."

Donghae quit the job in the ice cream parlor after that. Sungmin was feeling guilty, that even though Donghae told him that it wasn't because of him why he quit, it was because he wanted to concentrate on his studies, especially that exams were already coming. Also, he said that because of Sungmin, their restaurant went back to its feet again and many customers went to their restaurant. So he was very thankful.

*** 

After that, Donghae rarely shows up in the ice cream parlor. Maybe it's supposed to be how the things work when love is involved.

"Are you quitting, because Donghae quit?" Manager Han asks.

Sungmin shakes his head. "No, Manager Han. I know, this will be only temporary but they need the job to support their families, and I only need this job to support myself."

"You've grown up so much, Sungmin," Manager Han smiles as he clasps his hand. "I wonder who changed you."

Sungmin gets confused. "No one changed me, Manager Han. I'm still the Sungmin that you once knew."

"Hmm, seems not. You grew so much and you've become mature," Manager Han inisists. "I wonder if you are falling in love now."

"Manager Han! I-"

They hear knocks on the door. When Manager Han tells the person to get inside, Kyuhyun obeys and closes the door behind him. Kyuhyun isn't aware that Sungmin is in the office, so he looks a bit startled, but he recovers as he maintains a blank face as he approaches Manager Han. "I'm here, Manager Han."

"Good. Take a seat," Manager Han nods repeatedly as he displays a playful smile. Kyuhyun sits on a chair across where Sungmin is sitting. "I noticed that the two of you are ignoring each other."

"W-What? We're not!" Sungmin defensively answers as he looks at Kyuhyun and blushes. "We're totally fine!" Sungmin awkwardly smiles when Kyuhyun doesn't react.

Sungmin has become awkward with Kyuhyun, now that he realizes how he feels about the latter. But then, he has no plan of ignoring Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun is the one ignoring him. He has been doing that ever since he went back three weeks ago.

"Kyuhyun?" Manager Han looks at Kyuhyun who shows his pokerface.

"We're totally fine, Manager Han," Sungmin insists as he simultaneously looks at Kyuhyun then at Manager Han.

"If you're fine, then I'll give you a mission together. I remember, when you had vacation in the Philippines together. You became friends afterwards. So I'm going to give you tickets to an amusement park so that you can enjoy-"

"No, I am declining," Kyuhyun says firmly. "I have no time to go to the amusement park or anything. And besides, Sungmin gets a new boyfriend. Why should he go with me?"

"Donghae is not my boyfriend!" Sungmin denies. He has been defensive about that. Kyuhyun must be so upset with him. And Sungmin remembers that Kyuhyun confessed to him and maybe, he is just jealous. I am so delusional... I don't even know if he's telling the truth or not. "Okay, Manager Han! I'll take those tickets! I'll just go by myself."

Manager Han sighs. "Alright then. But I'll still give you two just in case you want to settle things between the two of you," Manager Han smiles again and looks at Kyuhyun who is not reacting.

"No, I'll have the tickets for myself. This is until New Year so I'll get to go twice this year," Sungmin says as he stands. "Manager Han, I will get the tickets later after work. But please, grant my wish."

"If you insist," Manager Han finally gives up. "I'll keep you for another week until Sunday, then I'll be rehiring you after winter, alright?"

Sungmin nods and happily bows. "Thanks, Manager!" He leaves. Kyuhyun sighs.

"You're really ignoring him," Manager Han deduces. "You've been quiet the whole time. Sungmin said he's not Donghae's boyfriend. Why not grab the chance now?"

"I don't know if I can face him again after all those confessions I made. Even though he didn't accept Donghae's confession, I'm still scared that it's only because he is not interested in dating someone yet," Kyuhyun tells Manager Han who is just listening to him.

"You're like a son to me, Kyuhyun, and I just want you to be happy. This is your chance to make Sungmin fall in love with you... if he's not yet in love with you," Manager Han says. "Oh well. It's your life. If you still want to ignore him, then fine. He's going to quit temporarily. He might just be taken away by some other guy. Remember that you still have one rival. And he is a pretty strong one too."

"That monkey is not a competition," Kyuhyun hisses.

But he thinks he is.

Hyukjae knew that Donghae had 'given up' on Sungmin, so he began visiting Sungmin in the ice cream parlor ever since Donghae was out of the picture.

And he was really pissed off whenever he would be close to Sungmin. It's irritating.

"So... now?" Manager Han waits as Kyuhyun falls into a deep thought.

"Just do whatever they want, I won't care," Kyuhyun stands and bows to Manager Han. "I'll be back to work." Then he turns away. Sungmin needs to realize that he needs me more than anyone else. And again, I'll take the risks.

***

"My gosh. I'll be late again!"

Sungmin blames Sungjin for not waking him up. It's already fifteen minutes to seven and his classes will start at seven sharp.

"Sungjin! I hate you!" Sungmin yells while running. He decides to take the shortcut. The end of the alley is only ten meters away from the school. But no one dares to take the shortcut because there are rumors that people who go inside will be forever trapped there. It is a well-known gang hideout.

But Sungmin doesn't care anymore. Although he hadn't gone into that shortcut because whenever he planned to, there would be cops manning the area and they would not let him go inside. He is lucky that there aren't cops so he proceeds.

"Give us your wallet!" He suddenly hears a hoarse voice not too far away from where he is. He stops when he sees a guy in thick-framed glasses being bullied by filthy looking group of guys, about twenty of them.

Geez, what cowards. Bullying one. They are twenty. Sungmin snorts loudly so all of them look at him. "Wow, he's only one, and you're twenty. How cool is that? Just let him go."

"Ha!" The guy, who seems to be the leader spits and smirks at Sungmin. "Who do you think you are to make us obey you?"

Sungmin scratches his nose. "Hmm. I am Sungmin, obviously. And yeah, I actually don't have time to deal with you because I'm going to be late so let him go and I'll pay you."

The leader laughs loudly, and so as the other guys. "Oh, so you're Sungmin, the city's black sheep. You've been too silent lately. We didn't even know you're going back to this kind of business."

Sungmin laughs. "Yeah, I've long quit this but since my hands are really getting rusty and because I am really going to be late, I'm just going to give you a sample."

"No, it's okay," the leader says. "We understand that you can't fight all of us right now, so just give us your money and we will let you through."

Sungmin nods and gets his wallet from his bag. "I know that you're a good guy and you're not going to take back what you said, here," he tosses the wallet and the leader catches it. When he's going to open it, Sungmin halts him. "Oops. Let him go and let us pass through first."

"What? Why won't you let us see your wallet first?" The leader asks. "Although it's pretty heavy."

"Don't you trust me? It's heavy, and look at it - I put all my salary there. It's too bulky. You can all eat the foods that you like."

"Fine. Go. If you are just fooling around, I would see you later," the leader says. They let the bullied guy go and Sungmin takes him by the hand as they run.

"Come on, we'll be late," he says as he drags the guy out from the alley.

When the leader looks at the wallet, he is surprised to see a lot of food coupons and only one bill of money. "We are tricked! That Sungmin will really get it!"

***

Sungmin and the guy exit the alley successfully. When they run out of breath, they stop for a while and then Sungmin laughs. The laugh is so contagious that the guy with him also laughs. "I should see their faces later!" Sungmin says while laughing.

"A-Ah, Sungmin, is it? Thanks," the guy says and offers his hand. "I-I'm Jungwook. I-I just transferred to Daehyun."

"No wonder I didn't know you, but I recognized our uniform," Sungmin says. "Nice to meet you, Jungwook. I am Sungmin." He reaches for Jungwook's hand and shakes his hand. "What year are you in?"

"I'm a lower batch," Jungwook smiles. "I-I... I actually have seen you before."

"Really? I must be popular!" Sungmin chuckles. "I think we must enter the school now. It's already-" He realizes that the gate is already closed. "Oh my gosh! I'm late!"

"I-I'm sorry," Jungwook looks down as he plays with his fingers. "I-It's my fault-"

"No, it isn't! It's their fault!" Sungmin snorts. "Don't be discouraged. I am really like this. But again, nice to meet you! I'll go now to face the wrath of our homeroom teacher! Bye!" Sungmin waves and runs towards the gate. Jungwook just stands there and watches Sungmin as he disappears in his sight.

***

"My gosh, where is it!?" Sungmin searches his bag, but he can't find his phone anywhere. "Damn! I must have lost the phone when I was running! I even forgot that the bag was open!

"You're not worrying that our teacher would take you to detention again, instead, you're worried about your phone," Ryeowook says as he watches Sungmin. Good thing, the homeroom teacher is late so they are just under a study period for another thirty minutes. "You fought someone again, right?"

"You must be my best friend. You always know what happened!" Sungmin gives Ryeowook a thumbs up but he still searches for his phone. "Damn!"

"Lee Sungmin, you're late again!" the homeroom teacher arrives. "You should have another brilliant excuse today or you'll be in detention again."

Sungmin pouts and begins to narrate. "I actually took the shortcut so that I would not be late but then a group of gangsters stop me so I give my wallet and I-"

"I've heard that several times," his teacher says. "Can you at least have another excuse?"

"But it's true! It always happens to me!"

"H-He's right, Ma'am," A guy says. He is standing near the door then he goes inside the classroom. "He saved me from the gangsters and he even gave his wallet just to save me."

"Who is he?" Ryeowook whispers to Sungmin.

"He's Jungwook, a transferee," Sungmin answers then he stands to speak to the teacher. "That's right. He's saying the truth."

The homeroom teacher sighs. "Okay, fine. You're out this time. But if this happens again, you will be in a detention again," she then turns to Jungwook. "Why are you here then?"

"A-Ah, I just thought that he would probably be scolded so I am here to be a witness," Jungwook says softly, but enough to be heard. "A-And I'm... I'm lost."

The class roars in laughter. The teacher quiets them down. "Okay then. Sungmin, take him to his classroom since you owe him now."

Sungmin happily obeys. He hates homeroom anyway.

***

"So, you found my classroom first before finding yours, you're interesting," Sungmin says. They are currently walking on the corridor to find Jungwook's classroom. Jungwook blushes as he looks on the ground.

"A-Ah! Sungmin hyung I-I," Jungwook gets a phone from his pocket and Sungmin sees it. "I... I found your phone. It dropped when we separated."

"Wow!" Sungmin gets the phone in excitement. "Thanks! You're my savior today. I shall invite you to the ice cream parlor where I work! It's my treat!"

Jungwook scratches his head. "But hyung... you lost your wallet to those guys."

"Don't worry," Sungmin grins.

***

"I didn't know you're close just like that," Ryeowook whispers to Sungmin as he approached him. "You just met him today, right?"

"I don't know," Sungmin whispered back. "I actually feel at ease whenever I'm with him."

Ryeowook nods. "Alright then. But I... I feel weird. He's weird. It feels so... not right."

Sungmin laughs and puts his arm on Ryeowook's shoulder. "You're just overthinking. Besides, he's our junior. He must be so lost because he just transferred here."

"I kinda saw him before, I don't know where. But okay," Ryeowook shows a wide grin. "Just don't fall in love with him."

Sungmin laughs more. "Are you serious? I just met him."

"Hi everyone!" Donghae suddenly arrives, greeting everyone in sight. Sungmin and Ryeowook gets excited as they both approaches Donghae. "Oh, Sungmin, Ryeowook! Hello!"

Ryeowook smiles. "Long time no see, Lee Donghae. Where have you been all these days?"

Donghae puts his arm around Sungmin. "Well, I just rested. And nothing actually happened to me," he then turns to Sungmin. "Did you miss me?"

Sungmin blushes in embarrassment. Donghae has become weird. "A-Ah, Lee Donghae..."

"Just joking!" Donghae laughs loudly, enough for everyone to hear. "Now, I am just a customer, so... can I have one strawberry parfait, please?"

Donghae sits on a vacant table. Sungmin scratches his head in disbelief, and Ryeowook speaks. "Seriously, I was rooting for you and Donghae. He's Kyuhyun's best friend and he really takes care of you. Unfortunately..."

Sungmin sighs. "Hmm... Donghae is a nice guy but I just like him as a friend."

Ryeowook is about to say something but Hyukjae arrives and immediately runs towards Sungmin. "Hi, Sungmin. You look so handsome today."

Sungmin has his jaw dropped, Ryeowook is giggling, and Donghae just runs towards them, goes in between Hyukjae and Sungmin as if he's blocking their way. "You, monkey! Sungmin has already gone to my hometown, now stop pursuing him."

Hyukjae gets confused and shocked, but in the end, he glares at Donghae who matches the intensity of the former's glare. "I don't care."

Donghae hisses. "Well then, let's just compete for him then."

"Wait, wait!" Sungmin stands in between the two then he looks at both of them. "I am not a prize, okay?"

"But we love you and," Hyukjae meets Donghae's stare once again. "I will not lose to you, alright? May the best man wins!"

Donghae smirks. "I'm sure I'll be the winner."

Sungmin facepalms. "Seriously, both of you, stop! People hear you! You're-"

"You're stupid because you fight over him," Kyuhyun arrives and calmly says. "He's not even worth it."

Sungmin feels that his heart constricts as he watches Kyuhyun walk away from the four of them. Kyuhyun has been cold to him again. It hurts him, because the friendship that they had might just get tarnished because of their feelings involved.

"Don't mind Kyuhyun," Ryeowook hugs Sungmin from behind. "You're just so lucky to have two people fighting over you. I am envious."

Sungmin smiles meekly as he holds Ryeowook's arms that are hooked around his waist.

Their attention diverts as someone drops the glass. It turns our to be Jungwook. Sungmin almost forgets about him so he runs towards him and helps him get the broken glass. Their hands touch, and to Sungmin's surprise, Jungwook holds his hand for a while. "J-Jungwook? Are you alright?"

Jungwook takes a lot of time before removing his grasp to Sungmin's hand. "I-I'm fine... It just slipped because of my carelessness."

Sungmin smiles at him. "Don't touch the broken glass. You might get hurt. Just sit there and wait. I'll sweep it." Sungmin leaves and goes to the kitchen. Jungwook sits back to his seat as he waits for Sungmin, his hand closed tightly.

"Who's that guy?" Donghae asks curiously at Ryeowook. "I haven't seen him before."

"He's Jungwook, a lower batch in Daehyun. Sungmin just met him this morning," Ryeowook answers as he looks at Jungwook. "I seriously think he's weird."

Hyukjae chuckles. "Yeah, he give off a weird aura. But as long as Sungmin is not courted by him, I'm okay."

Donghae snorts. "Just hope more."

Ryeowook interjects. "Oh, Hyukjae, where is Yesung anyway?"

"He has a gig every night so he is kinda busy," Hyukjae answers. "I rarely talk to him these days. He's so busy."

"Why can't you just go with him, watch him or anything?" Donghae asks Hyukjae who doesn't like his tone.

"Guys, stop it," Sungmin overhears as he passes by then he attends to Jungwook. "Don't worry. It'll be fine."

Jungwook nods and stands. "I think, I must go now. Thanks for the ice cream."

Sungmin smiles at him again. "It's okay. Thanks for saving my in cleaning the field today!"

Jungwook bows and leaves the ice cream parlor.

***

It is already evening. Sungmin is in charge of taking the trash out and closing the ice cream parlor, so Donghae and Hyukjae stays with him. Ryeowook also volunteers to help him. On the other hand, Kyuhyun leaves early, completely ignoring everyone mostly Sungmin.

Hyukjae gives him a glass of water. Donghae massages his shoulders. He can't help but to massage his head. The two guys are giving him a hard time.

"They are in a competition so I don't blame them," Ryeowook says. "I think they are rivals for life when it comes to you."

Sungmin sighs as he continues to wipe the tables. "This is absurd."

Ryeowook giggles and hugs Sungmin's waist. "If only Kyuhyun fights other guys for me."

Sungmin frowns at the idea. Kyuhyun is not a good lover, he deduces, because if he is, he would also fight Donghae and Hyukjae, but he just keeps on going away. "Hmm, I'm taking out the trash since I am finished collecting the garbages."

Ryeowook nods. "Do you want help?"

"I can do it by myself, thanks. But yes, I need help. Let the two of them cool down," Sungmin winks and leaves as he goes to the kitchen.

His phone rings as he receives a text. He reads it before going out the ice cream parlor.

I know what you wear, where you are and who you are with.

He blinks. "Probably a prank text. But it is kind of creepy." He says as he keeps his phone to his pocket and takes the trash out. When he gets back and washes his hands, he receives another text and it sends chills to his spine.

You're sweating. Do you want me to wipe your sweat for you?

"This jerk," He says. Thinking that it is another prank text, he disregards it and returns to the dining area. That time, he receives another text.

You are now in the dining area. The three of them must go home now so that I can be with you.

He feels his heard beating fast as he runs outside the ice cream parlor. The texter knows who he is with. It creeps him out. "Where are you!?" he yells.

Donghae, Hyukjae and Ryeowook follow him when he just runs away. "Sungmin? Is there anything wrong?"

Sungmin smiles awkwardly as he shakes his hand. "Nothing," he replies as if there is really nothing wrong. "You can go now guys. Thanks for the help." They need not get involved with this. Whoever this person playing around with me should stop this or else...

"Do you want me to take you home?" Hyukjae volunteers. Donghae asks the same. Sungmin shakes his head to decline the offer. "Okay. Just call me if you need me."

"Why would he need you?" Donghae asks. Hyukjae glares at Donghae.

"Guys, stop fighting. It's late. You need to go," Sungmin tells the two. "Donghae, please take Ryeowook home."

Donghae has no choice but to obey. Hyukjae also bids his farewell and leaves. Sungmin is left alone. After a few seconds, he receives a text again.

You're alone now, huh. Good then.

"Whoever you are, I don't fear you!" Sungmin yells again. The texter stops sending him messages so he locks the ice cream parlor and goes home. While on his way home, he feels that someone is looking at him and is following him, so he turns around to see the person, but he sees no one. He receives another text message and it is what makes him shake.

I want to jump on you right now and do bad things to you. Only the two of us, honey. Just us.

"You are a ert! Go out if you're not a coward!" Sungmin yells, but his voice just echos around. He then sees a shadow and chases it, but it turns out to be a cat. His phone rings again simultaenously.

You will not escape me. I am watching you. I'll be watching you forever, my love.

That Ryeowook must stop clinging to you. He's annoying. I'll hurt him if he hugs you again.

And Donghae and Hyukjae. They should not go near you or I'll kill them.

Kyuhyun isn't even right. You're worth the fight. You're worth every fight.

Sungmin closes his left hand tightly then called the texter. No one is answering. Nothing is ringing around him. "If I see you, I swear, I would hurt first before you hurt my friends! Or you've got to hurt me first before them!" Then he receives another text.

I am ready to get hurt, Sungmin. Anytime. But I'll never hurt you unless... you want it rough and hard.

"ert!" He swallows as he runs until he reaches his house. His heart is beating fast as he locks the door. Sungjin worriedly asks him, and he freaks out. "Just go to sleep, lock the door until Mom and Dad gets home!" He commands then he runs upstairs to his room and locks the door. He sits behind the door as he trembles in fear. There is another text.

Sleep well, my Sungmin. I will be beside you and I will watch you as you sleep.

Sungmin closes his eyes tightly. His tears fall as he tightens the grasp of his phone. He has never been so scared all his life.

He gathers strength to look at his phone and he browses his contacts. Maybe one of those people can help him.

He then stops at Kyuhyun's name. He decides to call him. But two rings, and that's it. No answer.

Maybe, he's not the right person to talk to at that moment.

*** 

《Sorry for the M-content everyone. But then it's needed to make it scarier... so who will be Jungwook in Sungmin's life? You got to thank him afterwards lmao》