Chapter 26

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 26 - Another Misunderstanding Arises

♡♥♡

Sungmin returns to the ice cream parlor the next morning, feeling pleasant and determined. He spent thinking last night about work at the ice cream parlor and he decided not to quit. He must not let Kyuhyun push him down. Not Kyuhyun, that ice cold jerk, would make him do so.

So there he is, entering the ice cream parlor with his chin raised. He won't let Kyuhyun get on his way. Not today, not forever. And the best way to do that is to avoid him and if possible, not talk to him at all.

"Hi Sungmin!" It is Donghae. He seems more cheerful than yesterday.

Sungnin waves at him and greets him back. "Good morning, Donghae!"

"You seem so happy today," Donghae comments.

Sungmin grins and nods, "Well, I think I am reborn."

"Reborn," someone repeats his word. It is no other than Kyuhyun who just arrives. Sungmin feels annoyed so he grunts almost silently, then pays attention to Donghae once again. But this guy seems numb. He speaks again, "After saying that you'll quit because of a pathetic reason?"

"Ah Donghae, shall we move out? There is an unwanted monster here," says Sungmin to Donghae, emphasizing the  words 'unwanted monster.' He pulls Donghae out of the employee lounge leaving Kyuhyun inside. Donghae awkwardly smiles at Kyuhyun before completely going out. Kyuhyun displays a blank face.

"I am really annoyed with your stupid best friend. He always makes me want to punch his face," Sungmin rolls his eyes after closing the lounge's door. He always interferes with my life. Can't he just mind the business of his own?"

Donghae smiles. "I thought you are friends now?"

"And I am totally regretting to be friends with him," Sungmin answers. "Oh well. We need to work now. I need to get that seed."

"Sungmin! Good to see you here," Manager Han arrives. This man is always pleasant when it comes to him despite of the trouble that Sungmin caused the day before. Sungmin wonders why though.

Manager Han is in his fifties already. Sungmin is curious if he has a wife or a children. Looking at him, he seems that he does not have a family of his own that is why he is very dedicated to his work at the ice cream parlor.

"I thought you would leave this place already," Manager Han continues. Both of Sungmin and Donghae bow and greet him. "Kyuhyun will be so sad."

"Yes, he will be because he won't have anyone to insult or whatever," Sungmin changes his expression as Manager Han mentions Kyuhyun.

He laughs. "Is that so? Okay then, both of you must work enthusiastically. Do you understand?"

"Yes Manager Han!" They answer in unison. Donghae looks at Sungmin and asks him, "Why would Kyuhyun be sad without you?"

Sungmin snorts. "Probably because this ice cream parlor would have no life without me. Okay, let's work now!"

Donghae just shrugs as he smiles and follows Sungmin.

○●○

"You called me here just to tell me to be good on Sungmin?"

Manager Han nods while laughing. He called Kyuhyun to go to his office before lunch break. Kyuhyun thought it was about an important matter. He guessed wrongly. "Seriously, Kyuhyun. You are always doing that to Sungmin because you are jealous of people getting close to him."

"I am not jealous." That is his first lie of the day. He knows that he is stupid for feeling that way because he is constraining himself from being close to Sungmin despite of the fact that he can do that without making him angry. But no, he keeps on doing it because he cannot express himself well. Besides, he has overflowing pride. He also cannot admit to others that he is jealous. It is enough to admit it to himself. "Why would I be jealous? I can't be jealous. I-"

Manager Han laughs more loudly, and it is a bit irritating to Kyuhyun's ears. "Why are you so defensive?"

"Because you teach me how to be defensive," Kyuhyun reasons out.

"Why were you jealous then?" Manager Han insists.

"I am not, I told you!" Kyuhyun nearly yells. He realizes that Manager Han is still his superior so he sighs and lowers down his voice. "Okay fine. I was jealous."

Manager Han smirks. "I know, why?"

"Because... because I saw them kissing," Kyuhyun confesses. "When I entered the restroom, I saw the woman holding his hand and kissing him, and I could not really help to see him being kissed by someone, especially by a woman. If I was not able to enter the restroom on time, they might do something bad."

"It is just you Kyuhyun," Manager Han says. "You know to yourself that Sungmin is not interested in anyone at the moment yet you  think he is. Or maybe you are jealous of the fact that Sungmin might be interested in others and not you?"

That hits the spot. Kyuhyun lets go of a sigh.

"Maybe that is the problem. You keep holding back. I don't know what stops you, maybe it is Donghae who has a crush on Sungmin as well, but I think, even just a little, show your interest on him."

Kyuhyun falls into deep thinking. Perhaps his manager is right. Perhaps he needs to show is affection towards Sungmin to stop himself from being jealous every single time. But how can he show it?

"Don't tell me, you're not sure of how to do it?" Manager Han asks in a teasing manner. Kyuhyun looks away. "I knew it. Sungmin is your first love and you have difficulty in showing your feelings, am I right?"

"I've tried helping him secretly, but I ended up annoying him every time. It was my nature," Kyuhyun says.

"That is it. You can start with it," Manager Han suggests. "Help him secretly. Show him that you love him and you care for him. Solve your problem about hindrances. If you are ready and if nothing is stopping you, then that's the time you confess that you love him. Stop being a jerk. If you can't help being an in front of him then apologize. Do something to make him happy if you can't apologize."

"Why are you doing this?" Kyuhyun asks.

"I've been there. My first love - I have loved her so much but I had so many fears before. It was too late to tell her I love her because she married the person she loved. I don't hate them though. I am happy now because she ended up with the person who would make her happy and would show the world that she's worth it. I can see myself in you, Kyuhyun, that is why. I don't want you to experience my pain and my regrets now," Manager Han explains. "I am single now. It is definitrly not cool."

Kyuhyun does not speak.

"Remember Kyuhyun. It is better to act now than to act later. Take it from my experience," Manager Han advises. "Go now."

Kyuhyun bows. "Thank you very much."

○●○

"Hey! I said I would have two vanilla sundaes with chocolate syrup!" Sungmin repeats when he notices that Kyuhyun is spacing out. "You, all-knowing jerk, have to get yourself together!"

Kyuhyun presses the keys on the cash register. "I am thinking too much."

"You only notice it now?" Sungmin sarcastically asks. When he is about to turn around and leave, Kyuhyun calls him again. "What?"

"Nothing," Kyuhyun answers.

Sungmin glares at him. "You jerk," he murmurs and leaves.

Kyuhyun sighs again. "I guess I should just work secretly."

○●○

It is near the closing of the ice cream parlor. Sungmin is happy that nothing has gone wrong - except that Kyuhyun remains an . He is wiping the tables as usual, Donghae is inside the kitchen helping in washing the dishes, and Kyuhyun is mopping the floor.

There is an awkward silence because only few customers are left. Sungmin has not talked to Kyuhyun except if it is about work.

"Hey, are you new here? I haven't seen you here before. Wanna hangout?" asks one customer to Sungmin. Kyuhyun auomatically looks at the person talking to Sungmin. He has a company and based on how they stare at Sungmin, it looks like they are planning something bad. "We will go to the arcade. We will treat you!"

"Yes, I just started last Monday," Sungmin answers. "That is very sweet of you, but I am still working. Maybe some other time."

Geez, is he serious? Kyuhyun thinks as he glares at Sungmin.

"Come on. We will wait here so that we can go to the arcade after your shift," the other says. "We will also go to the karaoke bar."

"Really!? Well come to think of it, I haven't visited one. Okay, let's go after this. One more moment, okay?" Sungmin says and continues to wipe the tables so he can get his work done.

When Sungmin is finished, he goes inside the lounge to get his things. Kyuhyum walks in front of the two and overhears their conversation about Sungmin. They are talking about how they would get money from Sungmin and the ice cream parlor. Kyuhyun clenches his fists and speaks firmly. "Go and find other victim morons."

"Huh?" asks one guy. "We are trying to be friendly with your employee."

"Sorry, but he is not friendly," Kyuhyun smirks. "Have you heard that one guy who beats the hell out of the criminals in this city? It is him. So a friendly advice, since you told me you were trying to be friendly. Stop going after him if you don't want to be hurt."

The two of the customers get startled when Sungmin arrives, innocently looking at Kyuhyun and asking them what's happening. "What is happening? I am ready now, let's go."

One guy whispers to the other and the other almost says, "W-we are sorry... W-we will just... see you later bye!"

"W-wait-" Sungmin stops them.

But before he can say another, he hears one of them saying, "He is that Black Sheep! He is that person!" They run away from the ice cream parlor.

Sungmin bows to the ground as he clenches his fists.

"Guys like them are unbelievable. Inviting you to join them then-"

"What did you say to them!?" Sungmin looks fiercely at Kyuhyun who seems frozen because of the glare that Sungmin is glaring. "Answer me!"

"It is not important anymore," Kyuhyun recovers from shock. He goes inside the restroom to put the mop on the cabinet. Sungmin follows him until they both reach the employees' lounge again.

"They are trying to be friendly yet you are poisoning the well!" Sungmin yells at Kyuhyun once they are inside the lounge. His glare is still the same.

"Why are you a er for friends!? You didn't even know them fully!" Kyuhyun matches the volume of his voice with Sungmin. "Why can't you be contented!?"

"That's the point! Everyone is scared of me just because I am like this. I put the law in my hands and beat everyone who makes this city bad. All my life, people are following my orders because I am a son of a lawyer and I came from a family of either lawyers or peacemakers. I never had real friends! I am hoping that one day, people will accept me for who I am!"

"You have Ryeowook. You have Donghae. You have me!" Kyuhyun yells.

Sungmin smirks. "Do you honestly think I consider you as one? You are making me laugh. I am regretting the moment when I became friends with you. You always interfere with my life. I don't know why are you shoving away all people who can be friends with me? Have I done you something wrong!?"

"Because you always get the attention. You are always the center of everything. I don't want you to get all those! I don't want seeing people praising you. I don't want seeing people get close to you!" Kyuhyun answers. "I hate it because I am jealous!"

Sungmin snickers as his eyes meet Kyuhyun's. "Ha! So you are jealous of it because I am taking away the attention giving to you by others. You are a selfish brat!"

"Yes, I am jealous," Kyuhyun pushes Sungmin on the wall, locking him with one arm. He closes the distance between them as his face goes near Sungmin's. Sungmin's face turns red when his eyes and Kyuhyun's eyes meet. But the anger in his heart is much dominating that moment. "You keep on attracting people around you and I hate it. I can't help thinking that Doogyul is right. You are nothing but a flirt."

Kyuhyun receives a punch from Sungmin enough for him to fall on the ground. "Of all the people who can say it to me, I am least expecting it from you. I guess I am wrong. I hate you, Cho Kyuhyun. I hate you!"

Sungmin runs away. Kyuhyun stands as he touches his cheek. He overdoes it again. And now, Sungmin is declaring that he hates him. It hurts. "You are at fault, Cho Kyuhyun. You can't be hurt. Better apologize or-"

But his pride says no.

♡♥♡