Chapter 58

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 58 - Time Flies Fast - Last Day of Summer

♡♥♡

It's already Sunday, and it's the last day of summer vacation. Sungmin continuously sighs as he looks outside the ice cream parlor. The sun is betraying him - it's like telling him to go out, enjoy his last day and stop working in the ice cream parlor.

"Soon," he murmurs as he fans himself. "The hell, it's so hot today! It's a perfect time to go to beach or somewhere else!"

The ice cream parlor's air conditioning is a bit not working because of the intense heat. But then, it's when and how the business works the best. And surely, Sungmin is never going to be permitted to take a day-off.

Time just flies so fast. All he remembers is the beach trip, the Philippine trip and the rest is history. He never had decent summer vacation this year, to think that it's literally his last summer vacation because he's going to find a full-time work after graduation - that is, if he'd graduate or if he'd not study in college anymore.

He just hopes that some miracle happens, like what happened the whole week.

Sungjin got a box of detective mangas and TV series DVD set. His younger brother loves detectives and anything related to them, so the surprise made him jump and shout out of happiness. His mother suddenly got promoted and she was given a police cab. She got it on Friday and she volunteered to drive all of them that night, however, they ended up stopping every crime they encounter. Then, his father is hired by a new company for his services. And he received a lot of pumpkins yesterday. Aside from that, yesterday, his project was also submitted. He did not able to pass Kyuhyun's plant because someone passed another plant in his name.

He never told Kyuhyun about that, because he would not care to know anyway.

Back to the surprises and miracles, he doesn't know who does those things to him or why that person does those for him, but he is thankful. All he wants now is that person to save him from his last day of summer vacation.

"I want to kick bad people's asses today," he talks to himself as he lets go of a sigh.

Thinking about kicking asses, he misses it, because ever since he got a part-time job, he has not toured around Seoul and searched for crimes. Maybe people of Seoul are happy to not see him anywhere, because it's unbelievably peaceful in the city.

"Sungmin, order for table six!" It's Kyuhyun who cuts his thoughts.

He approached Kyuhyun who is now in charge of giving the orders to the waiters, namely Donghae, Ryeowook, himself and two more.

"It's busy today, we must keep moving," Kyuhyun reminds him. Weirdly enough, Sungmin does not feel any coldness from him ever since he went to his house and he talked to his father. He also does not feel any annoyance in his part.

"Wow, my dad's scolding was effective," Sungmin comments, wanting to irritate Kyuhyun just for fun, but he does not receive any reaction that he wants to receive. Kyuhyun just smiles at him and pushes the tray with the order, to his heart's weird reaction. He feels happy all of a sudden, that he feels he wants to stay working even on the last day of his summer vacation. He gets the order and when he's already away from Kyuhyun, he whispers, "At least, there is an improvement."

○●○

It's already half of the day when Hyukjae, arrives at the ice cream parlor, to Donghae's annoyance.

"There comes that monkey again," he snorts as he sees Hyukjae greeting Sungmin who in turn greets him. "Ugh, so irritating!"

"It's the last day of summer vacation, don't spoil it," Ryeowook reminds him. "I mean, you won't see Sungmin for the whole day starting tomorrow, so be calm and let Hyukjae today."

Donghae sighs. "Fine. Good thing that monkey doesn't know where Sungmin studies so he doesn't know where to see him in the morning."

Ryeowook puts his hand under his chin. "I wonder where Hyukjae is or will study. I heard from Yesung that he just arrived from States last month and he's on the same level as we are."

Donghae hisses. "Wherever that is, I'll make sure he's not going anywhere near Inhwan or Daehyun or I'll flip tables."

"Well, Hyukjae has this Inhwan aura around him. Yesung said he's going to Inhwan-"

"What!?" Donghae screams and the customers, including Kyuhyun, Sungmin and Hyukjae turns to him. He coughs and lowers his voice down. "Seriously?"

"Yesung said he doesn't know about Hyukjae, but most probably, he'll finish high school in either Daehyun or Inhwan," Ryeowook answers.

Donghae shakes his head. "I can't believe this is happening."

"Why can't you just confess to Sungmin?" Ryeowook asks Donghae who gets startled all of a sudden. "I think you did your part for me and Kyuhyun, now I guess it's my turn now for you and Sungmin?"

"I don't know, it's... it's really not the time, I guess? And I want to confess in a special way," Donghae answers, unsure of what he's going to do. "And I don't see any improvement, now that the monkey is around."

Ryeowook hums. "Although I think Hyukjae is a great guy, I don't think he's the one for Sungmin. Sungmin has only known him for a week. He won't just like someone that easily. And I think Sungmin thinks you're a great guy."

"Exactly," Donghae bows down. "I am just a great guy, not anything else. Sungmin doesn't like affection, right? He doesn't like love in general."

"That is the problem," Ryeowook comments.

"Order for table nine and three!" Kyuhyun yells at the two who immediately runs to attend to Kyuhyun. "What are you two even talking about? We're busy, right?"

"Sorry, Kyuhyun," Donghae apologizes. "It's just that we are talking about Sungmin."

"What about him?" Kyuhyun's expression gets darker. "This is not the time to talk about him or anything about him because we are working."

"But we're talking about how Donghae will confess to Sungmin!" Ryeowook suddenly butts in, and Kyuhyun looks at him, now expressionless. "Sorry."

"Get the orders now and take it to the tables. Faster," Kyuhyun commands and the two obeys. He sighs as he looks at Sungmin who is talking to Hyukjae.

More competition for him, and it just gets tougher now that another rival arrives - he still can't confess like a real man. Donghae is now planning to confess and if it happens, the chance of him confessing would be more difficult.

○●○

"So, how are you?" Hyukjae asks Sungmin.

"Busy as hell," Sungmin replies. "You know, Hyukjae, I want to go out today but I can't until the ice cream parlor closes at eight."

Hyukjae nods. "What about you take a day-off? Your manager won't mind if you do, right, because it's the last day of your summer vacation and your friends are here, right?"

"Impossible. And besides, I don't know where to go because it's already afternoon," Sungmin grins. "Oh, where's Yesung?"

Hyukjae answers, "He has a gig every Sunday so he can't come."

"A gig!? I didn't know he's a singer!" Sungmin gets excited. "I never knew someone who sings! Well except Kyuhyun who sang really marvelously. I requested him to sing one time, but he is not a real singer who has gigs and stuff."

"Kyuhyun?" Hyukjae asks, not knowing who Kyuhyun is. Sungmin laughs at that. "Who's he? Is he your special someone?"

Sungmin nearly has his jaw dropped. He stutters, "No! U-Uh, Kyuhyun is," he then points to Kyuhyun who is looking at them, and the latter looks away, "there! He's not a shy guy, though. And he's not certainly, not definitely my special someone!"

Hyukjae sighs in relief, and Sungmin furrows his eyebrows as he looks at him. "I thought he's your special someone, because he did your request. I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with him and the other one, except Ryeowook. What's his name again?"

"I think you're referring to Donghae," Sungmin informs Hyukjae who turns to Donghae. "He's a great guy. Really a good friend."

"I don't know, but I feel he's always giving me an awkward feeling. I feel like he glares at me every single time," Hyukjae laughs.

"Don't worry, if you get to know him, you would love to be his friend," Sungmin says. "Anyway, I got to go. I have work to do."

When Sungmin's about to leave, Hyukjae calls him. "U-Uhm, Sungmin!" Because his voice is too loud, he doesn't notice that everyone is looking at him. He continues, "Will you... go out with me?"

Everyone has their eyes wide open at that question. Ryeowook's jaw drops, Donghae glares at Hyukjae, and Kyuhyun has his pokerface on as he anticipates for an answer.

Sungmin smiles. "Sure! Later after work, I guess?"

To their surprise, one of the customers shouts, "Way to go, young man!" Everyone cheers, and Hyukjae smiles widely in excitement and in happiness. Sungmin just grins, thinking that it's just the customer's ice breaker of some sort.

○●○

It's eight in the evening, and Sungmin fulfills his promise to Hyukjae who waits until the end of his work, even until after cleaning time.

Hyukjae was serious about asking him to go out, and he was happy that Sungmin said yes. He was actually wanting to buy Sungmin's time, however, he decided not to, because he liked observing Sungmin while working. But Sungmin interpreted it literally. He meant to go out with Hyukjae, go to the night market - his personal pick - and eat in a restaurant afterwards.

"It's our first date," Hyukjae says shyly as they walk together at the night market.

"Eh?" Sungmin fails to hear as he is looking for something to buy. "Ugh, I don't have any money to buy this pair of shoes."

"D-Do you want me to buy this for you?" Hyukjae volunteers. "I would buy it for you! Miss," he turns to the vendor. "How much is this?"

"Ah! Hyukjae, it's okay, I'll just save my allowance for this. It would still be there next week," Sungmin stops Hyukjae.

"Are you sure?" Hyukjae asks.

Sungmin nods. "Yes! Just treat me some drinks for tonight, since you're asking for us to go out!"

Hyukjae smiles. "Okay."

Meanwhile, Donghae, Ryeowook, and unbelievably Kyuhyun, secretly follow the two.

"Seriously, that monkey! He acts like he's his real boyfriend! Don't get full of yourself, dude! He just meant to go out with you, as in like this, not as a boyfriend!" He shouts. Good thing, the noise is too loud that he is not heard. "I hate him!"

It's Donghae's idea to follow them. He was very angry when Sungmin agreed to go with Hyukjae. And the latter seemed enjoying Sungmin's company and acting like a real boyfriend.

"He ," he comments again as they hide behind a post near the fast-food chain where they order. "He just ordered a regular iced tea and a fries for Sungmin while he deserves to have more than that!"

"Why am I even here?" Kyuhyun suddenly asks. He was quiet while listening to Donghae and Ryeowook's plan to go after the two of them, although he really wants to go follow them, rather alone, because he also wants to rant like Donghae. "Why am I getting tagged along with this stupidity?"

"Don't you want to help your best friend?" Donghae asks Kyuhyun, making him feel guilty, but it doesn't work.

"No," Kyuhyun answers and prepares to turn around and go away. "I'm going. I'll be early tomorrow-"

"He's even touching his face!" Donghae screams like a madman, and that makes Kyuhyun turn back and look, and of course, gnash his teeth in anger as he confirms that Hyukjae is wiping something from Sungmin's side lip, maybe ketchup or something else. He clenches his fists as he glares at the two laughing people seated just beside the large window, making everyone see what they are doing - that is, publicly displaying affection.

"I'm out of here," Kyuhyun says in a low and in a not-so-obvious angry tone.

"Kyuhyun, don't leave me and Ryeowook! It would look like we're stalking our boyfriends!" Donghae pleads.

Kyuhyun rolls his eyes. "Don't you think you're not stalking!?" He asks angrily.

"Quiet, guys, they're finally out!" Ryeowook informs them and the best friends look back at Sungmin and Hyukjae who just comes out from the fastfood chain. They, including Kyuhyun, follow them again until they reach a park where the two sit on a bench. Ryeowook, Donghae and Kyuhyun hide behind a huge tree only almost three meters behind, enough for them to hear what they are talking about.

"I just went back to Korea last month," Hyukjae answers Sungmin who asks him about his house and everything. "We had an old house before but I am not living there anymore. My parents are out of the country so..."

"Oh, is that so?" Sungmin asks. "My parents, Sungjin, my brother, and I are living together. It must be sad to live without your parents?"

"Not really," he smiles. "I am used to it."

"Do you have a brother?" Sungmin asks once more.

"I do, he's not here with me as well," Hyukjae answers as he looks above. "You know, Sungmin? When I first saw you, I thought you were someone who would use others for money."

Sungmin snickers. "I was. I used to do that. But I guess, something has changed ever since," he admits. "I don't know, but ever since I had friends, I changed. I didn't notice it easily, but when Ryeowook, Donghae and Kyuhyun came to my life, I... I realized that I was not the same Sungmin who thought that life , and that it was not worth living for. That people use each other for their selves. But then I learned to like the life I have when I learn a lot of things, thanks to the three of them."

After a long silence, Hyukjae cuts it. "Sungmin, I have something to tell you. I-"

"Well, well, well. Look at this guys."

Sungmin and Hyukjae recognize the face, and it is the leader of the gang that attacked Hyukjae and the ice cream parlor. Sungmin stood and Hyukjae followed.

"Wow, are you guys dating? Sorry to bother you," the leader asks sarcastically, and the others laugh. Sungmin glares at them. "Pretty guy, you're so lucky to have him."

"What do you want!?" Sungmin asks angrily.

"Hmm, we planned to target other people but then, change of plans. This is to have my revenge for my gang," the leader says. Sungmin gets ready as he changes his natural stance into a fighting stance, preparing to fight anytime.

Donghae closes his fists tightly as he watches the guys surrounding Sungmin, one by one attacking him. "I want to kick him!"

"Donghae, calm down," Ryeowook says. "They're too many."

"If we don't fight then-"

Kyuhyun runs towards Sungmin to help, but he stops when someone helps Sungmin and Hyukjae before him.

It turns out that it's not just someone. A group of men in black tuxedo attack and they easily outnumber the gang's number. Sungmin's eyes furrow as he watches the guys fight. They all look like professional in terms of battle and combat, and he recognizes some familiar faces.

Hyukjae holds his wrist and he pulls Sungmin away as they run together. Donghae runs to follow the two. Ryeowook and Kyuhyun also follow.

When they are completely far away, Hyukjae puts Sungmin's hand down.

"I know those guys, Hyukjae," he says calmly, looking directly at Hyukjae who is looking away. "They were the twelve bodyguards with the man in the limousine. Why were they there? Why did they suddenly appear when we needed them?"

"Sungmin, I-"

"Master Eunhyuk," one of the guys in black tuxedo approaches them. "They are being taken care of now."

Sungmin turns to the guy in black tuxedo. "You're that bodyguard..."

"We need to go now, Master Eunhyuk," he says once again, completely ignoring Sungmin.

"You're mistaken, it's Hyukjae, not Eunhyuk," Sungmin smiles awkwardly, but the guy does not mind him. "You're wrong! Who are you calling 'Eunhyuk?' Hyukjae," he turns to Hyukjae. "Tell them you're not-"

"I'll be there... give me five minutes. For now, give us privacy and wait in the car," Hyukjae straightens his body. He acts like someone different, as Sungmin notices. The guy in tuxedo bows after him and leaves them. Hyukjae turns to Sungmin. "Sungmin... I don't want you to judge me for this, but I wasn't truthful to you. My real name is Hyukjae, but they know me as Eunhyuk, the son of the owner of Lee Group of Companies. I am not the Hyukjae you used to know, the Hyukjae who wears simple and cheap clothes, the Hyukjae who goes regularly to fastfood chains and ice cream parlors.

"I keep this secret to people, because I am sick of being taken advantage of. Even to you... I... I hid my real identity to you, because I didn't want you to be my friend just because I am rich. I wanted someone to be my friend not because I have money or fame. I wanted someone to befriend me for who I am. And when I get to know you, I thought you're just like them, but then you're not. I like you very much, Lee Sungmin. I like you that is why I do and give you everything that I know you would like. I was the one who commanded to get your father as our lawyer. I was the one who commanded your mother's senior to promote her. I was the one who asked to renovate the ice cream parlor. I was the one who gave you those surprises because I like you-"

Sungmin clenches his fist and punches Hyukjae who falls on the ground, to everyone's shock. He looks at Sungmin. "It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor! It doesn't matter if you don't give me material things just because you like me! I can't be bought with money, Hyukjae. I can't!"

Hyukjae nearly cries. Sungmin stretches his hand towards him after a few seconds. And Hyukjae gladly takes it as he stands up.

"Even if you don't buy those things or do those things, I can still be your friend, Hyukjae. You don't need to be afraid to be who you are because time would really come that true friends also come. Just like Ryeowook, Donghae and Kyuhyun to me. Just like Yesung and I to you."

"I-I'm sorry," Hyukjae bows to the ground. Sungmin hits his arm playfully. "Will you forgive me?"

"No, you must buy me that pair of shoes first!" He says. "I'm joking."

Hyukjae smiles. "I am more confident to show who I am now because you are here to accept me for who I am. Sungmin... I guess I'm right to like someone like you. Would you be... my boyfriend?"

Donghae wants to run and punch Hyukjae, but Ryeowook stops him. Kyuhyun just stands there and continues to listen.

"If you mean a 'friend', then yes," Sungmin replies. Hyukjae tries to hug him but Sungmin rejects. "No, you can't, because you're not yet forgiven!"

Hyukjae and Sungmin laughs.

Then Sungmin asks, "Are you the one who passed my Biology project?" 

Kyuhyun, who is silently watching them, is shocked as he hears that.

"I did, I did, because I thought I would be a great help," Hyukjae says. "A-are you mad?"

"No! Of course not! I am very grateful because you did that! Actually, I don't want to pass the original project," Sungmin chuckles. "That plant is not worth passing anyway."

Kyuhyun turns around and walks away. He is disappointed. He is, because his efforts are all wasted. He can't help to be mad at Sungmin that time, calling the plant not worth giving away pains him.

"Kyuhyun!" Ryeowook calls when he notices that Kyuhyun is leaving. Sungmin and Hyukjae turns to them and finally see the others. Kyuhyun does not answer to the call.

Sungmin watches Kyuhyun as he walks away. He doesn't know why he suddenly leaves, but he does not think any further.

♡♥♡ 

《OTL it's almost 2am here. Only 3 hours of sleep left! T-T But then, I updated! HAHAHa》