Chapter 71

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 71 - An Offer 

♡♥♡

He takes the picture frame from the table and observes how he smiles on that photo. How he misses the smile that he used to have back when he was a child. He is sad to have it all gone just because of one person who doesn't even remember him.

"How's Seoul?"

He thoughts are cut as he hears his brother who just enters his room.

"I heard you met Sungmin and the rest. How are they?"

"That Sungmin is interesting," he replies as he smirks back at his brother. "I think I like him."

Hyukjae frowns. "Don't even think about it."

Taemin smirks and looks at his frowning brother who is really not pleased at what he said. "Come on, hyung. I am just teasing. I am not into guys like him."

Hyukjae gets his smile back. "Good! Don't ever think about getting in between Sungmin and me."

Taemin rolls his eyes. "It's as if Sungmin would like you, hyung."

"Just watch me!" Hyukjae yells and leaves. Taemin continues to look at the picture frame. Taemin's expression turns dark as he throws the picture frame on the bed.

"I'm going to make your life miserable, just what you did to my life, Cho Kyuhyun. I swear I would," Taemin says and leaves the room.

***

Kyuhyun sees Taemin walking inside the ice cream parlor again.

He quietly sits on a vacant table and calls for a waiter - that is, Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun nods and attends to Taemin. "What can I get for you, Sir?"

"I'll have vanilla parfait," Taemin says without looking at the menu. "Please add chocolate syrup and sprinkles."

Kyuhyun replies, "Alright. Would there be anything else?"

Taemin shakes his head. Kyuhyun then leaves and comes back with his order. Taemin looks at the parfait placed in front of him. "Why is this with chocolate sprinkles?"

"That's the only sprinkles that we have for vanilla parfait, Sir," Kyuhyun says calmly.

"I don't care. I just want this with rainbow sprinkles," Taemin pushes the parfait away. Kyuhyun takes it and leaves once again. After a few minutes, he returns with the parfait with rainbow sprinkles. Taemin sees it and once again, he gets angry. "Why didn't you remove the chocolate sprinkles? I am allergic to chocolate! What if I die!?"

"Sir, I don't know why you ordered a vanilla parfait with chocolate syrup if you are allergic with chocolates," Kyuhyun says calmly once again. Taemin remains speechless, and after recovering, he clenches his fist and stands. Then he gets some money in his pocket and throws it on the table. "I am done here! I can't believe you have a very bad service!" He exits the ice cream parlor but on his way out, he bumps into Sungmin.

When Sungmin greets him, Taemin just walks away as if they don't know each other. "Why is Taemin so upset?" Sungmin asks Kyuhyun who gets the vanilla parfait. "Oh! Parfait! It wasn't eaten?"

"The boy left it because he was not satisfied," Kyuhyun says. "Oh, why are you here? Missing me?"

"No!" Sungmin denies. "I am here to submit my resignation letter to Manager Han."

Kyuhyun pouts. "You're going to leave me alone?" Sungmin bursts into laughter then he hits Kyuhyun's arm. "That hurts."

"Cho Kyuhyun, please stop saying nonsense," Sungmin says in between laughs. "Anyway, why is Taemin back here? And in the afternoon?"

Kyuhyun shrugs. "I don't know."

"Maybe he likes you, that's why he keeps going back," Sungmin guesses.

"And you're jealous?" Kyuhyun teases.

Sungmin narrows his eyes and nudges Kyuhyun. "I don't want to talk to you anymore." Sungmin walks away from Kyuhyun, but Kyuhyun follows him after putting the unfinished parfait on the countertop. When the two reaches the corridor towards Manager Han's office, Kyuhyun grabs him. "Kyuhyun, let me go."

"Nope," Kyuhyun hugs him from his back. "I know you'll just be leaving temporarily, but I want to see you everyday."

"K-Kyuhyun," Sungmin holds Kyuhyun's arm. "You sound so-"

"Oh, what do we have here?"

***

"You didn't even tell me. I feel so betrayed," Manager Han says to Kyuhyun when the latter goes into his office along with Sungmin. "I didn't know you're already together."

"We're... not like that... We're just unofficially together," Kyuhyun grins. Sungmin looks so embarrassed, as if he's going to die any moment because of it. "I am not yet asking him to become my boyfriend or anything. I don't want him to say I'm pushy."

"Don't listen to him, Manager Han! We're far from that," Sungmin insists. "Kyuhyun is just making things up between us. We're just friends. And yes, he's indeed pushy."

Manager Han smirks. "Whatever you guys have, I am happy that you both realize your feelings for one another."

"There is no such thing," Sungmin crosses his arms over his chest and he looks away. "Kyuhyun and I are not yet in that stage. He just confessed to me and that's it."

"So you're planning to level up soon?" Kyuhyun asks Sungmin who snorts at Kyuhyun. "Bring it on, Sungmin, I can wait for you."

"When Kyuhyun said he wanted to keep it a secret, I was against it. But when Kyuhyun told me he's confessed to you, I was overly happy, because Kyuhyun is like my son and I want the best for him. You're the best for him Sungmin, I know that."

"I told you so," Kyuhyun winks and nudges Sungmin.

Sungmin scratches his head. He is so embarrassed. Manager Han is still their boss, and he can't believe he knows about Kyuhyun feelings for him. He feels so dumb all of a sudden. "Have I been that dense? Does this mean you know about Kyuhyun's feelings for me?"

"Why, of course," Manager Han nods. "Kyuhyun is always talking to me about you being dense."

"I don't know why I feel so betrayed at this point," Sungmin confesses. "Anyway... as we discussed, I'll be handling my resignation until the end of winter, I guess."

"So sad to see you leave, and so sad to think that I am the reason of your temporary parting," Manager Han whispers, but the two others hear him. Kyuhyun chuckles and Sungmin pouts. "Kidding aside, I'm expecting you to be back after winter, as you said."

"Thanks for everything, Manager Han," Sungmin bows. Sungmin is shocked when Kyuhyun bows as well. "Kyuhyun?"

"I also handed my resignation until winter ends," Kyuhyun confesses to Sungmin. "Manager Han actually agreed."

Sungmin looks simultaneously to Manager Han and Kyuhyun. "Manager Han?"

"Kyuhyun deserves a long break. After all these years, he has been a good employee. So I am going to give him an early Christmas present. He also has his Christmas bonus pay as early as now," Manager Han says.

"W-What!?" Sungmin is more surprised that he hasn't received any Christmas bonus pay. "I didn't receive any?"

"Oh, you did," Manager Han smiles then he looks at Kyuhyun. "Kyuhyun begs to get it so that you can say no to him when he asks you to spend your Christmas together."

***

Ryeowook sees Taemin who looks a bit pissed, so the former calls him. "Taemin? Taemin!"

Taemin stops and searches for the person who calls him. When he realizes it's Ryeowook, his dark expression turns into a neutral one.

Ryeowook approaches him and he smiles at Taemin who hesitates if he is going to smile or not. "How are you? Are you fine now?"

"No," Taemin answers truthfully. "But don't worry, it's not because I'm still sick."

"Oh," Ryeowook smiles. "Good to hear."

"Do you want to eat? I am hungry," Taemin invites. Ryeowook hesitates not because he just met Taemin the day before, but because when he was with them yesterday, he looked like he had something for Kyuhyun. Whatever that something was, it's making him jealous. But he ended up nodding, thinking that Taemin might be really down and he needed a company.

"Alright," Ryeowook replies and nods. Taemin smiles and walks with Ryeowook who just follows him. They arrive at a classy restaurant and Ryeowook is stunned as they enter the restaurant. "T-Taemin, this place is..."

"I'll be paying, don't worry," Taemin says after he tells the reservation officer that they need a table for two. "It's nice to have a friend here in Seoul, especially because I'll be spending vacation here until new year."

"Great!" Ryeowook comments as both of them sits on a vacant table. "Wow... your family is really rich because you afford to go here even if you're just fifteen, am I wrong?"

"No, you're right," Taemin replies then he looks on the menu given by a waiter. "What do you like?"

"Anything... I am not particular with most of these," Ryeowook says as he browses the menu. Taemin just chooses a three course meal for the both of them. Seeing how expensive it is, Ryeowook worriedly says, "You're spending too much..."

"It's okay... really," Taemin assures Ryeowook. Taemin finalizes his order and the waiter leaves them. "I'm not really into spending too much, but I do that once in a while."

"Wow," Ryeowook awkwardly laughs then drinks his water. "I guess you're really something. Anyway, why the bad mood earlier?"

Taemin frowns. "That Kyuhyun."

Ryeowook nearly spits the water he is drinking. Taemin is shocked, but Ryeowook just tries to compose himself. "W-What about Kyuhyun?"

"You're friends?" Taemin asks.

Ryeowook looks away. "Y-Yeah."

Taemin chuckles. "Why are you not sure?"

Ryeowook looks back at Taemin. "I-It's just that... I don't know why you mentioned him all of a sudden."

"He's the source of my bad mood. He was very rude earlier. He was very arrogant, to think that I was a customer," Taemin rants even if it's all a lie. "He even shouted at me!"

Ryeowook scratches his head. "I don't think Kyuhyun would do that. Yeah, he's cold to everyone, but never to his customers. He's also cold to me, Sungmin and Donghae, who's his best friend, but he's really a warm person because he is always there with us. He's also a good employee and-"

Taemin raises an eyebrow. "You're praising him too much. Don't tell me..."

"W-What?" Ryeowook looks away again. "I'm just..."

"You're in love with him, aren't you?" Taemin asks. "How can you be in love with that monster?"

"Kyuhyun is not like that!" Ryeowook shouts that some customers even look at them. He tries to tone his voice down a bit. "I'm sorry Taemin if I shouted at you. Yes, I love him, and I don't want others saying bad things about him."

"Well, I don't want to pretend that I know him this much but as I see him, I think he's a good-for-nothing guy who tries to get what he wants by using one person and even by leaving that person alone just to get what he wants," Taemin says angrily, his fists clenched and his voice very deep. "He is a selfish individual who leaves people behind."

Ryeowook stands. "You are going overboard because you don't know Kyuhyun."

"Don't I really?" Taemin asks calmly. "Stop being blinded by the love you're feeling for him and think. You should not trust him. I don't want to be rude, but did you confess to him already? I am guessing that he turned you down because he thought, you were not worthy of his time and love or whatnot-"

"Why are you saying this? Are you someone from his past?" Ryeowook asks.

"What if I tell you that I am? We're more than what you think we are, that is, strangers. I know him more than you. And if you're still not going to take this seriously, you'll just get hurt because he's-"

"I will still love him nevertheless," Ryeowook says emphatically, even if he is already feeling shaken. "I am going now. Nice talking to you." 

Ryeowook leaves the restaurant heavy-heartedly and his tears fall without warning. Who is Taemin in his life?

Taemin smirks. "Strike one."

***

"I hate you, I hate you, I hate you."

"Oh, that's three in a row," Kyuhyun says as he follows Sungmin. They are currently in the city square, both on their way Sungmin's house, because Kyuhyun volunteered to take him home, and even if Sungmin didn't want to, Kyuhyun still did it anyway. "I'll give it to you soon. When we have a date in the newly opened amusement park..."

"Who told you I would have a date with you?" Sungmin crosses his arms tightly over his chest, walking faster than Kyuhyun. "Cho Kyuhyun, only two weeks left and it's already Christmas. I have a test and-" Sungmin realizes that Kyuhyun might actually use it as a way to push himself more.

"Oh, yeah, it's another test week before Christmas!" Kyuhyun snaps his finger and walks in front of Sungmin then he faces him. "Do you want me to tutor you?"

"Why would I seek help from you? I can study by myself," Sungmin says confidently. "I am not the same Sungmin."

Kyuhyun grins. "Really? Then if the car is moving towards east at 60 kilometers per hour, and accelerating every five minutes to 65 kilometers per hour, how many hours would it take to reach 30 kilometers?"

"What am I, a calculator!?" Sungmin yells and continues to walk. "Ugh. Math again!"

"I told you, you need me as a tutor. Let's go to your house then," Kyuhyun takes his hand and pulls him. Sungmin, even though he doesn't like to, moves along. "I also want to visit the plant that I gave you. It's already winter, I bet you're not taking care of it."

"I do, excuse me!" Sungmin says defensively. "I always talk to it when I get home. You'll be amazed at how it still looks so amazing because I followed your instructions."

"You're crazy... talking to a plant-"

"Shut up!" Sungmin shouts. Then he realizes that Kyuhyun is not wearing hand gloves and his clothes are also not that thick. "Eh? Aren't you cold?"

"I am used to cold," Kyuhyun says as he tightens the grasp. "But my hands do feel cold."

"Take my hand gloves, I have an extra-"

"How about," Kyuhyun stops and holds Sungmin's right hand glove, put his hands inside the glove, making both their hands inside one glove. "This is better."

Sungmin blushes. "K-Kyuhyun... if people see us..."

"I don't care. If only I can tell everyone that you're mine, I should have done it several times already," Kyuhyun smiles sweetly. "Let's go?" They walk together once again.

"Geez," Sungmin looks away, trying to ignore the warmth given by their colliding hands. "W-We're not even together."

"Just wait for a little longer. Once Jino is found... I'll formally ask you," Kyuhyun pauses, then he continues as he stares at Sungmin. "to be my boyfriend."

***

"You are not really welcome here, but since you're insisting," Sungmin says as he removes his shoes. "The plant is upstairs."

"Are you sure we'll just be taking care of the plant? No one is here. We can do more than that," Kyuhyun winks at Sungmin who cringes at Kyuhyun's statement. Kyuhyun receives a kick from Sungmin. "What? I was referring to studying. What are you even thinking?"

"I know you're thinking something else," Sungmin glares at Kyuhyun who just laughs. "Why are you laughing!?"

"You really like what I'm thinking, huh," Kyuhyun teases. Sungmin prepares to kick him again, so he says. "Okay fine! I am not going to talk about something like that anymore!"

Sungmin smirks. "Good. Now let's come in."

Sungjin is at his friend's house having a group study because of the incoming examinations. His father and mother are of course, at work.

"Do you want something to eat?" Sungmin asks when they are already upstairs. Kyuhyun is busy talking to the plant, and Sungmin laughs. "Look at the person who says talking to a plant is silly."

"If it's you then it's really silly," Kyuhyun teases. Sungmin prepares to hit him again, but Kyuhyun grabs him into a hug. "You're so warm."

"I am not fat!" Sungmin yells.

"I didn't mean that. You are really warm," Kyuhyun hugs him tightly. 

Sungmin comments as he puts his hands on Kyuhyun's arms, "You're warm too."

"Then why don't you hug me back," Kyuhyun dares, tucking his head on Sungmin's shoulder. "Hug me too..." He says cutely.

Sungmin chuckles and hugs the other. "I am doing this only because you're cold."

"You're such a sweetheart," Kyuhyun comments. "I don't feel like moving anymore."

"Well, we must," Sungmin tries to pull himself and he successfully makes it because Kyuhyun also removes himself from the hug. "Since you're here, you can tutor me as well."

"Your wish is my command," Kyuhyun says and sits on the floor. "Where are your books?"

"Wait I'm just going to-" Sungmin pauses as he hears his phone ringing. He gets it and sees Ryeowook's name. "Eh, Wook?" He answers the call. "Yes?"

"S-Sungmin,"  says Ryeowook. Sungmin notices that he is sobbing. "Why is Taemin saying bad things about Kyuhyun?"

"What? I don't understand," Sungmin looks at Kyuhyun who just stares at him. "What about him saying bad things?"

"He said he's known Kyuhyun more than anyone of us," Ryeowook cries. "He said that Kyuhyun was just using people around him for his own benefit. That I should not trust him."

"Why would he even say that..." Sungmin approaches Kyuhyun and sits in front of him. "Just don't mind him. Kyuhyun is our friend and he's not what he thinks he is."

Kyuhyun just stares at Sungmin. Ryeowook speaks again, "Thanks Sungmin. I just don't get why Taemin's like that to Kyuhyun..."

"Don't worry, Ryeowook. I'll ask Taemin myself. Don't cry, alright?" Sungmin hangs up after Ryeowook has hung up. He turns to Kyuhyun. "Why is Taemin like that to you? He and Ryeowook met and he began saying things about you?"

"I don't know. I seriously haven't seen Taemin before. I don't know why he's doing it to me, but I need to find out," Kyuhyun says. "Oh well. Let's just-"

Sungmin's phone rang again. This time, it's Hyukjae. "Yes, Hyukjae?" Kyuhyun narrows his eyes in irritation. "You're going to invite me after Christmas for a sleepover? Great! Of course! Sure. Sure." Sungmin looks at Kyuhyun who is obviously not liking what he's hearing. "But, can I ask you a favor? Let's include everyone. It'll be boring if it's only the two of us. Okay? Great! On the twenty sixth then. Yeah. See you!"

"Don't you tell me you agree to have a sleepover at Hyukjae's house after Christmas? Ugh! That monkey!" Kyuhyun shows his annoyance.

"Keep calm, Kyuhyun. It's a good timing. We can find out why Taemin hates you so much," Sungmin tells Kyuhyun who is not convinced. "You look like a weird guy being jealous and everything."

"Hmm," Kyuhyun hums and pulls Sungmin, making them both fall on the floor. Kyuhyun starts tickling Sungmin who can't stop laughing.

"Oh gosh, K-Kyuhyun, stop! S-stop!" Sungmin keeps on laughing and he's trying to stop Kyuhyun, but Kyuhyun continues. "I-I'll get you later!"

***

They ended up lying on the floor, exhausted, and after a while, they fell asleep.

Kyuhyun is the one who wakes up first. He asks Sungmin to wake up.

"Min, wake up," Kyuhyun lightly nudges Sungmin who slowly opens his eyes. Kyuhyun smiles. "Good morning."

Sungmin immediately sits and looks around. "I-Is it morning already? W-Why didn't you- Oh," He realizes that it's still evening. "Why did you greet me 'good morning?'"

"Because you just woke up," Kyuhyun says as he sits beside Sungmin. "We haven't even started reviewing yet."

"Are you serious that you're going to tutor me?" Sungmin asks Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun looks at him. Sungmin looks away. "You might have something else to do."

Kyuhyun leans on Sungmin's shoulder, and Sungmin automatically returns his gaze on Kyuhyun. "You're more important."

Sungmin blushes when his eyes and Kyuhyun's eyes meet. "You're such a sweet talker. I can understand if you have used that charm in the past to lure the girls around you."

Kyuhyun removes his head from Sungmin's shoulder. "Hmm, I smell..."

"I will punch you if you say that you smell jealousy!" Sungmin warns as he lifts his arm and clenches his fist.

"I wasn't going to say that, though, but can be," Kyuhyun smirks. Sungmin hits him jokingly. "I was going to say, I am smelling roasted chicken."

Sungmin sniffs. "Oh my! You're right! Maybe mom is cooking us dinner!" Sungmin excitedly stands. Kyuhyun just shakes his head in disbelief.

"You're really like that when it comes to food. No wonder you're heavy when I lifted you once," Kyuhyun teases, making Sungmin glare at him. "What?"

"You just said I was not fat hours ago!" Sungmin shouts.

"Fat or not, you're still the Sungmin that I love," Kyuhyun smiles and says to Sungmin who tries to be calm. "Let's go downstairs. I bet you're hungry already."

Kyuhyun tries to stand and Sungmin offers him a hand. Kyuhyun happily grabs Sungmin's hand, but the latter lets him fall. "That serves you right!" He turns around as he laughs and he prepares to exit the room. But Kyuhyun chases him and pulls him. He is about to joke around but when he sees Kyuhyun's dark expression, he tries to say sorry. "S-Sorry..."

"It's not even funny," Kyuhyun says seriously. "It hurts."

"I already said 'sorry'. Please forgive me!" Sungmin begs, acting like he is praying in front of Kyuhyun. "What can I do for you to forgive me?"

Kyuhyun pretends to think, then he points on his lips. "Kiss me." Although his expression is dark, his eyes are twinkling.

"You ," Sungmin pushes Kyuhyun. "You're just acting. Hmph. Let's go downstairs."

Sungmin goes downstairs and sees his mother cooking roasted chicken. "Hmm! It smells delicious!"

"Kyuhyun's not awake yet?" His mom asks.

"You know, he's here?" Sungmin asks.

"Of course, I saw you sleeping together on the floor. I didn't disturb you, because you look like you're very exhausted. And you're sleeping side by side. You're even hugging Kyuhyun," his mother tells him. Sungmin's eyes widen as he panics. Then his mother laughs. "I am joking."

Sungmin lets go of a heavy sigh of relief. "Mom!"

"Hi, Mrs. Lee," Kyuhyun greets. Sungmin almost jumps when he sees Kyuhyun already behind him. "You look pretty today, and your cooking smells really nice."

"Stop complementing him, Kyuhyun, you're such a sweet talker," Sungmin rolls his eyes.

"Sungmin, you must learn how to complement me, like Kyuhyun, that is why I approve of him as a son," Mrs. Lee chuckles as she removes the chicken from the oven. "Eat up. Sungjin's not going home tonight, although he already had just to get some clothes, and gosh, you two have to close the door. He almost had a trauma because he saw both of you."

Sungmin's face flushes pink in embarrassment, while Kyuhyun just laughs. "Mom! It's not funny."

"I'm just teasing," Mrs. Lee says while putting the roasted chicken on the serving plate. "Go prepare the table. Kyuhyun, would you mind washing the utensils that I used?"

"No, not at all, Mrs. Lee," Kyuhyun immediately obeys.

"Mom, Kyuhyun's a visitor," Sungmin scolds his mother.

"I know. But he said, it's alright," Mrs. Lee winks at Kyuhyun who just smiles. "Now, you go prepare the table. Your dad will be home in awhile. He called to say he's going to have dinner here because he heard Kyuhyun was here."

"Wow, they're in good terms now," Sungmin comments as he looks at Kyuhyun who is happily washing the utensils. "I'm impressed."

"Maybe he's approved of him also."

"Mom!"

***

"What did he say?" Sungmin approaches Kyuhyun who enters his room. "Why did he call for you?" After the sumptuous dinner, Mr. Lee asked Kyuhyun to follow him in his mini office, and Kyuhyun had no choice to obey. Of course, Sungmin was very worried that his dad would say something weird to Kyuhyun again just like when they had a conversation before.

Kyuhyun smiles. "Nothing much."

Sungmin snorts. "Where is my father?"

"He's still in his office, I believe. He is reviewing something for Hyukjae's company," Kyuhyun replies. "Don't worry. We just talked about my future."

"Your future?" Sungmin asks. He is very confused. "What about your future?"

"Sungmin, I want to be a lawyer."

Sungmin drops his jaw. "What? D-Did my father-"

"No," Kyuhyun answers as he looks away. "I've decided that I wanted to become a lawyer."

"B-But why..." Sungmin looks on the ground, then at Kyuhyun again. Now his voice is trembling. "You can't be a lawyer, Kyuhyun. Please, don't."

"I am really curious about the reason of your sudden change of heart. I believe that it's not only about your experience in school. I think it's more than that. So I really want to know," Kyuhyun stares at him intently. "Your father offered something that I could not just say no to. He asked me to think over but-"

"I don't want you to become a lawyer, Kyuhyun!" Sungmin cries. "I don't want you to become like him... I don't want you to become as greedy as him."

"W-who?" Kyuhyun asks.

"It doesn't matter," Sungmin says firmly, "Kyuhyun, you don't need to-"

"Then continue your dream. I know that whatever's hindering you, in your heart, you still like to be a lawyer just like your father," Kyuhyun holds his shoulders. "Sungmin, look at me. If you don't want to realize that dream of yours, then I'll do it for you."

"Kyuhyun, I-I can't," Sungmin starts to stutter.

"Your father's friend asked him if he could recommend someone who would study Law in Harvard, and he recommended me."

Sungmin is speechless.

♡♥♡

《Sorry for not updating for almost 2 months now. I've been very busy lately. D: #100thSuperShow today! They finally completed it!》