Feels Like Home

Will Our Love Change?

Eunyoung's POV

"What do you want for your birthday?" I randomly asked Daehyun when we were chilling in my room, on my bed. He was resting his head on my shoulder. 

"I don't celebrate birthdays. " he replied as he played with my fingers. Says the one who made me sing his birthday song for him? 

"Really?" I asked. 

"Yeah, my parents didn't bother to." He said like it was no big deal. I suddenly felt sad for him. 

"Come on, it's your birthday and I'm spending it with you! There must be something you want." I sat up and he frowned, annoyed that he lost the comfortable position.

"You will give me anything I want?" He asked, looking slyly at me.

"Wh-what are you thinking? As long as I can get it for you, I will." I said.

"Don't worry, you will be able to. What are you thinking!" He said as he pinched my cheeks.

"Then what do you want?" I asked, embarrassed.

"You'll give me anything?" He confirmed with me.

"Within my means!" I said.

"Alright! I want to eat a homed cooked meal by you." he said. Huh?

"You don't want a fancy dinner date instead? You'd rather eat my cooking? On your birthday?" I questioned. Is he in the right mind? He knows my skills, or rather my lack of skills. I then recalled how that monster wanted me to cook for him too. Why do they always want me to cook... 

"You said anything. Why? Are you going back on your word?" He pulled me back to lean on the head rest so that he could find the comfortable position that he was in.

"You're weird. You would give up delicious food for my substandard food." I said, trying not to let my thoughts affect me. 

"It's my birthday, I eat what I want. We can go for fancy dinners any day. Do you know how rare it is to have you cook a meal for me? I have to take my chance! " He said.

"Noo... Choose something else. You know I'm not good at cooking." I said.

"I don't want anything else then." He said. I spoiled his mood. 

"Then I'll think of something to get you. It's your first birthday with me after we got together." I said. I can't say I'm not doing anything for his birthday because it would be too obvious I'm planning something and he might have expectations. 

"And you're not even going to give me what I want. I don't need anything else. " He said like a kid whining. 

"So... When's your birthday?" I asked, pushing it further. It wasn't because I didn't remember. I just didn't want history to repeat itself. I don't want to screw up the dates again.

"You don't know when is my birthday?" He exclaimed, now he was the one sitting up.

" I just want to confirm again." I said.

"Then it doesn't matter. It's not important anyway." He leaned back and rested his head on my shoulder again. Was he sulking? I was trying not to laugh at his pouty look. He was looking forward to it huh? Only after noticing how cute he looked sulking then I realised what he just said. 

“It matters!! We'll celebrate your future birthdays together." I said sincerely, hugging him. 

"Did you just indirectly propose to me?" He asked. He was making fun of me after I said something sweet? I squeezed him tightly before releasing my grip. He just had to spoil the moment. 

" No. " I said as I leaned back and avoided eye contact with him. He laughed. 

 

That night when he went to shower, I sneaked into his room and searched for his wallet for his identification card. It was on the table, not difficult to find. Did he think I would look for it? Nah... I opened his wallet and found a photo of us and my childhood photo displayed in his wallet. He must have gotten it from mommy. How sweet. Don't get distracted Youngie! I quickly took his card out to confirm the date before putting it back to its original position and exited his room.

Two months to his birthday! 

 

Planning a surprise was especially difficult when we spend all our time together. I can't even ask Mommy to teach me how to cook. I could only ask Daddy for help. I suggested shift hours and daddy reluctantly came up with an excuse to implement it during this period. I should learn to cook for him too so that he won't get jealous of Daehyun hehe. 

 

Daehyun wasn't fussy with food but there were certain dishes he would usually eat when we eat together during our breaks. I decided to learn a few dishes from the chefs when Daehyun and I had different shifts so he wouldn't find out. 

"Please!!" I pleaded one of the chefs. It was our second session together. 

"I really don't mean to hurt you but you really can't cook. Get someone else to teach you. I don't want to be responsible for your injuries." The chef said. I sighed... I have to find someone else... 

"I'll teach you." The younger chef, Junho approached me while I was washing my hands. I brighten up. 

"Really?! You don't mind?" I asked, trying to hide my excitement. 

"Yeah. Don't worry, I'm more patient than him." He smiled. 

"Yes!! Thank you!! You saved me!! Let's start!" I beamed. 

"You can start by washing the meat and chopping them up." He instructed me as he handed me a handful of meat. I nodded and did as told. Junho was surprising patient and clear with his instructions and I could follow quite well. He even gave me some tips to make it taste better. 

" Why are you suddenly learning how to cook?" he asked. 

"Erm... Secret." I said. 

"Come on, I already agreed to help, the least you could do is to tell me is why ?" He probed. 

"For someone." I said. 

"Daehyun?" He asked. My eyes widen in shocked and I almost cut my finger.

"Careful!" He said. 

"How did you know?!" I asked. 

"I don't think it's a secret. Everyone knows the both of you are together." He said like it was nothing. Oh... 

"He's lucky to have someone risking her life for him." He said. I frowned. 

"Kidding!" He added. 

 

Daehyun's POV

"Young, do you know why there's a change in the work hours?" I asked Young after the announcement. 

"I don't know, maybe Daddy doesn't want us to work too long?" She shrugged her shoulders. 

When the schedule came out, I was disappointed when Young and I only had 20 days that we were in the same shift. I even tried to ask the manager discreetly if I could change shift but she didn't allow. Wait! Since when did I become so clingy?! 

 

Two weeks later

I woke up and looked for Young only to remember that she was working the early shift today. Since I was already up, I decided to head over to the restaurant earlier and maybe grab something to eat with her. 

When I reached the restaurant, I headed to the staff room because I didn't see Young outside. I went in and she wasn't there either. 

"Do you know where is Eunyoung?" I asked. 

"Probably in the kitchen." one replied. 

"Thanks!" I put my stuff down and went to the kitchen to look for her.

Before i even opened the door, I saw that chef sticking his face too close to Young's. Before I could even process what was going on, I ran in and pushed him away from her. 

"What the hell were you trying to do to her?!" I grabbed his shirt and slammed him against the table, his waist knocked over a random dish. 

"Daehyun! It's not what you think it is! My eyes hurt. He was just checking." Young quickly explained as she tapped my hands that were grabbing his shirt, wanting me to release my grip on him. I glared at her, not able to manage my expression. Her eyes were indeed a little teary. I loosen my grip on him and walked away. I was afraid things would get really ugly if I stayed there any longer. 

"Sorry!" I heard Young saying to him before following me out. 

I exited the restaurant via the back door and Young came shortly after.  She then held my wrist, probably to stop me from walking further. Being angry is one thing, don't you dare fling her grip away, Daehyun. I was taking deep breaths to calm myself down. I turned and looked at her to see if she was hurt. Lucky she looked fine. 

"Why were you in the kitchen?" I questioned, trying my best not to flare at her. 

"I was looking for food." She said softly. 

"You wouldn't be there if you were looking for food. You were in front of the stove with him!" I didn't control my temper and raised my voice at her. They were so close to each other! 

"Why are you not saying anything?! You can't even come up with an explanation." I flared. She bit her lip. Why did she look like she was hiding something from me? Is she guilty? 

"It's really not like that. I think some smoke or something got into my eyes. Junho was really just checking if my eyes were red. " She tried to explain. 

"This still doesn't explain why you were there in the first place! You know you can literally say anything and I will believe you but you're not even coming up with an explanation!" I argued. 

"I can't say. You don't trust me? You can ask him." She said. 

"You think that I'll believe his words over yours?! I don't trust him!" She tried to hide her smile after hearing me. 

"It's not funny! Was he cooking specially for you?" I revealed my thoughts. I believe he has feelings for Young, even if it's a little and Young is definitely comfortable enough with him for them to be that close to each other. 

"No he wasn't. There's really nothing between me and him. Really. He was just teaching me how to cook." She said. 

"Wow. He even teaches you how to cook. Is this what you've been doing? You could have asked me or your family but you asked him instead? Do you hear yourself? How do you expect me to react? You asked an outsider when we would be very willing -" She didn't let me finish what I wanted to say. Thinking of them spending time together made my blood boil. 

"You said you would believe whatever I said. I don't want to talk about it." She cut in, trying to krep her cool. My heart hurts when she puts it like this. 

"Are you really not going to address this and let me go on with my day with that image of him almost kissing you?" I asked, feeling more disappointed than angry now. It really wouldn't cost her anything to explain herself so why is she still hiding it from me?

" This is a kiss. " She suddenly cupped my cheeks and gave me a kiss on my lips. I was taken aback by her sudden skinship. 

"Not enough? Now? How about now? How about three more? " She asked between kisses. What is she doing? We're in the middle of an argument. 

I cupped her face between my palms and gave her a long one. 

"Nice try changing the topic." I said after we stopped. 

"Oh no it didn't work." She said jokingly. But her kisses unknowingly calmed me down. 

"Let's end it alright? There's nothing between us." Young said. What? Was it because she didn't feel anything during the kisses? My heart felt like it was being stabbed. 

", no no I don't mean you! I mean me and him! There's nothing! Really! " She slapped a few times after seeing my reaction. I quickly grabbed her hand to stop her from hurting herself further. 

"I'm sorry. It came out wrong. Sorry. Sorry. I should have phrased it better. Sorry. " She hugged me tightly, burying her face into my chest, feeling very guilty. I patted her head. She didn't stop apologising. 

"It's alright. I'm ok." I said while she was still hugging me. It actually warmed my heart seeing how apologetic she was. I should believe her... 

"It was supposed to be a surprise for your birthday. I was supposed to be learning from the senior chef but he didn't want to teach me so I had to find someone else. He was the only one who was willing to teach me... I really tried but I really at cooking." She revealed. I wronged her... Why did I even request for that?! She took it really seriously. I was just making things difficult for her. That explains the random band aids she has on her hands... 

"Forget about it Young. It's not important anyway. You don't have to cook. I'll cook instead. " I consoled her. 

"But you only wanted a home cooked meal and I can't even do that..." she sulked. I didn't expect that she would want to prepare a feast for me. Was that spilled dish her work? 

"Who said so? The bowls of ramyeon you cooked for me were edible too." I added. 

"I can't just give you ramyeon for your birthday!" She frowned. 

"Why not? I never said I needed a big feast." I traced her brows with my thumbs to stop her from frowning. 

"Don't you want to feel like royalty, like you're the biggest on your birthday?" She asked. What is she saying? I gave her a confused look. 

"Isn't that why you wanted me to cook for you?" She asked. Is she saying what I think she's saying? I felt like someone was squeezing my heart after realising what I think she was implying. 

"You think I wanted to be waited on?" I asked carefully. She gave a slow nod. 

"Your brother celebrates like that?" I asked even though I knew the answer. I didn't want to be too direct with it. She shook her head. She doesn't even celebrate her own birthday like that. Her parents wouldn't let that happen. 

"That idiot made you wait on him?" I asked, hoping that I was wrong. I was subconsciously taking deep breaths to calm myself down. 

"He... Called me over just to cook for him on multiple occasions and then flare up when I don't do a good job. I don't want to spoil your day so I had to ask them to teach me." She said softly. Even though I expected that he had something to do with it, it still hurt hearing her say it. I really wish I could kill him. Me and my big mouth. I should have insisted that I didn't want anything... I cupped her face feeling apologetic that she had to go through something like that. I can't get over how much he had affected her... I gave her a kiss on her forehead. 

"Thank you for doing it for me even though it brought back nightmares. I didn't know. I just like the feeling I get when I eat your food." I hugged her because I didn't know how to say these without feeling embarrassed. 

"Are you ok? What can you feel when they don't even taste good?" She asked, confused. 

"It feels like home." I revealed. I wanted to keep it to myself but I didn't want her to be trapped in the past thoughts. She hugged me tighter. Her food may not taste the best but I know she tries very hard whenever she cooks for me. For someone who doesn't cook to cook for me makes me feel like I'm cared for too. Isn't that what home cooked is about? That just tainted the meaning of home cooked food. 

I'm glad we had this conversation but I also wonder if there are anymore things I'm not aware of because of him. 

 

Eunyoung's POV

Hearing Daehyun say that my food makes him feels like home melted me. I didn't think of it that way. I just assumed they all had the same thoughts. I couldn't be more wrong. It wasn't about how fancy or tasty the food was. It's about the thought and action behind the dishes. Now that Daehyun feels like this and has changed my mindset on cooking, it made me want to do an even better job at it. I want him to have a home he can come back to. 

"I do my best!" I said, still hugging him. He had his palm on my head, his thumb lightly caressing my hair. Ah I wish we could stay like this for while. 

"Come on, let's go back in." He said. 

"Just awhile more!" I said, hugging him tighter, not wanting him to move away from me. 

A few seconds later, I heard the back door open and out of reflex, I quickly broke free from the hug. Oops. 

"I don't mean to interrupt but the boss is here and has been waiting for us to gather." Junho came out and told us. 

"Boss? You mean the manager?" I asked. 

"No. The big boss! He asked if there were anymore around." The big boss?! DADDY?? 

"You head in first. We'll head in soon." Daehyun said. Junho nodded and left us. 

"What am I going to do now?!" I panicked. I didn't discuss with Daddy about hiding my identity from the rest because I didn't want to hurt him or worse, have him think that I was ashamed of anything. 

"It's alright... Maybe he just came to check on some stuff. Let's go in first." Daehyun opened the door and brought me in. 

"Youngie! There you are!" Daddy said in front of everyone. 

"Youngie?" Junho asked. Oh no... 

 

 

Happy birthday Daehyun💗💚