Daehyun Knows

Will Our Love Change?

Daehyun's POV

I've been resting these few days after getting quite hurt. The gang's doctor attended to me. While my wounds weren't too serious, I should refrain from taking part in activities until I'm recovered. I decided it was best to stay home too because I didn't want to be a burden to the team. Hyerin visited me at Hyung's place once with food and updates but she told me not to worry because she could handle it. She just wants me to focus on recovering. 

A few days passed and I wanted to just head out for some fresh air as well as visit the members. My phone vibrated and I realised it was Young's messages. She was asking about me. So many things went through my mind. How can she still care about me when she is also at risk? I didn't reply because I was still feeling angry and ashamed of myself for being weak. I was a little mad at her as well which I don't even know why. Why am I feeling like I'm blaming her for my plight? 

After a while, Hyung texted me asking what time I'll be back. I told him I would be back in the evening probably waiting for him to have dinner together.

I reached home and waited for Hyung to be back. Then, the bell rang. Hyung should have his keys. I looked through the peephole and realised Young was standing outside, biting her lip.

"Young? What are you doing here?" I was surprised when I saw her. I didn't expect her to come if I didn't reply her messages. Then, I realised I actually really wanted to see her, at least I know she's well even though she's with that and that I wasn't actually mad with her. Why am I so selfish? 

"You're okay." She said, sounding like she was assuring herself. I was a little shocked when I saw her tears. Without thinking, I just wiped them away and brought her to the couch. I never like seeing her cry and I didn't want her to be crying because of me. Why am I so selfish? I didn't think of ensuring her safety after that day until now... Lucky she seemed alright.

She told me she was just checking up on me and added that I would be fine because I have Hyerin and Hyung. Hyerin didn't do much because it would be weird having a girl over at Hyung's place too frequent. Hyung was the one doing more of the work but I didn't deny her statements and I'm not sure why. I just know that my mind is telling me that I have to push her away.

She asked me why I didn't reply her messages. I couldn't tell her what I really felt so I just said something lame. Awkward silence filled the room before she stood up announcing she would leave. Why so soon? As much as I want to push her away, I didn't want her to be going home alone but she rejected my offer. I should have just insisted but instead I just allowed her to leave like that. I'm stupid. At least I know she's home safe.

 

Weeks passed and things were like back to normal, before the fight. I've more or less recovered and had resumed my activities. Hyerin was being really nice by ensuring that I'm safe and well before we had to go on any missions. I was kept busy to stop myself from having thoughts about Young. It would be too painful without her and now that I know what that is capable of, I should stay clear of her in case he hurt her just because of me. I will probably have to start to work out a plan to at least have Young away from him. It's too dangerous with him having easy access to her. Who knows what crazy stunt he will pull.

 

One night, I was drinking with Hyung after suddenly really missing Young.Hyung was controlling my alcohol intake. I know I don't have the rights to think about her because I was the one who initiated everything but I can't help it. Why can't another girl appear in front of me? Someone who is equally as bad as me because I don't deserve someone like Young. I don't want her safety to be jeopardized because of me. Why are things so complicated? 

"Daehyun, your phone." Hyung said as I was just staring into space. I looked at the caller ID and I suddenly felt awake. It was Young's mom on the line! 

"H- hello?" I answered.

"Hello Daehyun, I'm sorry for calling you at such a time and I really don't want to bother you but..." She trailed off. She sounded panicky.

"Auntie? Is everything okay? Don't worry, you're not bothering me." I asked, not minding that she called me, just surprised.

"Youngie is not home yet. I'm just wondering if you would probably know where she is or perhaps she's with you? She's not picking up her calls. Jaehyun said he alighted her at our doorstep around 11pm but she did not enter the house. I'm really worried." Her mom explained. WHAT?! Young is missing?! I took a glance at the clock, it's 3am!

"Sorry Auntie, Young is not with me. I'll help you look for her. We'll keep in contact. Maybe you stay home just in case she comes back." I told her.

"Sorry to trouble you Daehyun. Thank you. Her dad, Baekie and Jaehyun are looking for her too." She said.

"I'll do my best." I said and then we ended the call.

"Hyung! Young is missing! I need to look for her! I don't know where to start!" I started to worry now as the fact that she is uncontactable sinked in.

"What?! Okay, don't panic. Think. Where will she go? She doesn't seem like someone who would be wandering out on the streets at 3am." Hyung reasoned.

"It's either someone captured her or she is somewhere that is still open." I added. The mere thought of her being captured scares me. The only person who will hurt her is that  but he is with Auntie and I don't think he would make a move this early because it doesn't make sense. I also don't think my gang is behind this because I'm still in it. I think if anyone has gotten her, they would have called by now.

"Right. Think, do you know any place that she might go?" Hyung asked. 

"We don't usually hang out this late. I don't know Hyung!" I said, feeling frustrated with myself. I don't know why I feel the need to be the one to find her first.

"How about any convenience stores or 24hour cafes that she likes?" Hyung brainstormed.

Think Daehyun!!! Did she mention any particular stores or cafes that she likes?

"Oh! I remember her saying there's two cafes that she said she like the ambience and said that it would be a good midnight date." I recalled.

"Great! It's worth a shot. Let's go." Hyung said as he took his car keys. We decided to go to the cafe that is nearer to her home.

"Don't worry. You'll find her." Hyung comforted me as he drove. I kept calling her but the phone didn't even ring. I regretted not replying to her messages the previous time. Young, nothing can happen to you. 

 

We reached the cafe at record speed.

"I'll wait for you outside." Hyung said.

I burst through the door and looked around. At the corner of the cafe, there was a back view that looked familar to me. Her head was burried in her palms. I ran towards her.

"Young." I called and the person looked up. I never felt so thankful and relieved before. My body relaxed and I almost cried. No one captured her. I found her at a cafe that she mentioned to me before. I couldn't control myself and gave her a hug. I never thought I would miss holding her. She was stiff in my arms but then she wriggled out. 

"Sorry. Why didn't you answer your phone?! Your entire family is looking for you! Lucky I found you." I sat down and asked her while also trying to text her mom. 

"I just... wanted to be alone." She muttered. Something is definitely not right. Young is usually responsible. She would inform her family if she would be late even if she wanted to be alone. Auntie and Uncle are reasonable people, she wouldn't need to hide the fact that she would want to be alone.

Just then, her mom called me. 

"Daehyun? Where are you?" She asked. Young was shaking her head, telling me not to tell her mom.

"I'm at a cafe. Don't worry. Young is with me. I'll bring her back safely." I assured her. 

"Okay thank you Daehyun." She said and we hung up.

How do I get her to start talking? I sat there dumbly.

"Leave. I'll go home later." She mumbled after some time.

"You know I can't do that. I promised your mom." I said. I know I'm supposed to keep a distance from her but I can't do it when she's like that.

"I'm willing to listen. What happened?" I asked. 

"Leave me be alright?! Go listen to your girlfriend!" She raised her voice. 

"It's not about me now. It's about you. I know you won't just leave your home without informing. What happened? Is it that bastard?" I asked. 

"I hate you. I hate you! I want to hit you but I can't because it hurts!" She started tearing, not caring if the staff were staring. She must be really hurt.

"If you hate me then just hit me." I said as I took her hands and pounded my chest. Anything to help her vent and make her feel better.

"Then I'll just be the same." She didn't do it. Why is this talking thing so difficult? I don't understand what she's saying. 

"Be the same as what?" I asked, still holding her hands. She just kept quiet.

"Young, what exactly happened? I need to know." I asked.

"You don't need to know anything!" She replied, pulling her hands away from mine.

"Young!" I was getting impatient. She always made me tell her things so why can't she tell me anything?! 

"It's all your fault!! Why did you suggest to battle with him? Why didn't you train hard enough for it?! Why was I the bet?! Why must I be at the losing end? Why can't I defend myself?" She broke down. I had nothing to say. It really is my fault... She suffered because of me. I hate myself. I was supposed to save her, not torture her. Why wasn't I strong enough?

"Why do I still have feelings for you?" She mumbled but I heard her. Yeah why? After all I did, I really don't deserve your love...

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

"Stop apologizing if you can't do anything about it." She said.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"I don't know!" She replied. 

"Help me forget about you so that I won't be threatened with your safety! So that I can just leave him without worrying!" She ran out without taking anything. This girl. I took her valubles and headed out. Luckily hyung said he would be waiting outside. 

"Let go of me please.... I'll go with you. Just let go of me please..." She was struggling to get out of Hyung's grip on her wrist when I got to them. Hyung wasn't even grabbing her, probably just holding her and she was almost squatting on the ground.

"It wasn't even that tight I swear." Hyung released his grip on her when he saw me probably afraid that I would misunderstand.

"Young, let's get in the car." I said gently as I helped her up by holding her shoulders. She was surprisingly obedient as she followed me in. 

"Sit with her." Hyung said as he headed over to the driver side. 

"Young, I need you to tell me what happened. Please. I don't like seeing you like this. Something must have happened. Did he... do something to you?" I tried talking to her as gently as possible. She's worrying me. Her character wouldn't have changed overnight if he didn't do anything. 

"Did he do something to your wrists?" I asked carefully because she didn't say anything but just kept rubbing her wrists. She ended hiding her wrists behind her back.

"Young! What happened?! Why are you like this?!" I kinda shouted at her, feeling helpless and frustrated. 

"Daehyun calm down. You're scaring her." Hyung said while he drove.

"How do you expect me to be calm when she doesn't say anything?!" I replied and then I heard Young's voice and I regretted not asking sooner.

"Then how do you expect me to tell you? My boyfriend hit me? I know, serve me right for not listening to your warnings right? Are you happy now?" She said softly. 

"DAMMIT THAT BASTARD! I'LL KILL HIM!" I flared and started throwing punches and kicks to the seat in front of me. How can someone do that to her?! I was already so worried when I hit her accidentally and then he goes and hit her on purpose?! What the heck! 

"Daehyun, my seat. I still need to drive." Hyung said.

"When did it start?" I asked, trying to calm myself down by taking deep breaths.

"After the incident." She said, still speaking softly.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I asked, sounding more harsh than I thought. She checked up on me the other day she should have told or at least hinted to me.

"Why must I tell you? How do I tell you? You're busy." She asked. Right. Why would she tell me? Who tells her ex about her current? Now I hate the fact that I told her I was busy.

"Oh Daehyun definitely have all the time for you." Hyung added. I ignored him.

"Why didn't you leave him?" I asked.

"How? I would have already if I could. He kept threatening me..." She replied, slightly louder. Everything she said before starts making sense. I read between the lines and realised that I'm the main reason why she's still with him. I kept calling him all sorts of names but the worst is me... She's not leaving him because she's worried about my safety.

"Young, I can take care of myself. You stay away from him." I said firmly.

"How are you going to take care of yourself if you got so badly injured the previous time? Do you want to be beaten into a pulp again?" She questioned.

"It's my business, not yours." I said.

"What he meant is he would rather get hurt instead of you." Hyung said the true meaning of my words. Aish. Why does he keep adding comments? Can't he just concentrate on driving?

Then it was silent throughout the ride back to her place.

That bastard is dead if he's at her place waiting for her. 

"Promise me that you'll not tell my family what happened." She said when we reached her place.

"Are you crazy? Why are you still helping him?!" I got mad again. I wondered if she ever loved him...

"I don't want my parents to worry. Please." She was close to begging me.

"No. Sorry Young." I said. Her parents has to know.

"Don't follow me in." She said before walking towards her home. 

.

 

Yes finally a proper interraction between the both of them! Miss having the both of them together! And I also kinda love the little Himchan moments.