Realisation

Will Our Love Change?

Daehyun's POV

I woke up feeling like my head was going to split into two. Why do I always drink so much and then regret it? I feel like something happened yesterday but I can’t really recall what happened.

I went to wash up before heading out.

“Good afternoon Aunty.” I greet her.

“Oh, Afternoon Daehyun! How was your dinner last night?” Young’s mom asked. Dinner? How did she know? 

“It was okay.” I replied.

“Glad to hear that. Did you see Young last night? She said she was gonna wait for you.” Her mom added. . Last night!

“Yeah I saw her. Got to go! See you later!” I waved and left. I wish I would see her later if Young doesn’t kill me after yesterday. Thankfully her mom reminded me. I’m probably in deep now.

I rushed to school hoping I could probably fetch Young and face the music. I hope she’s not too mad… I waited for her across the street and after awhile, I spotted her, with another guy. I crossed the street and called out to her. She looked at me and kept walking towards me, still talking to that guy. That’s weird. I’m really in trouble. Usually she would run towards me but today she just walked as though I’m not in front of her, waiting for her. I walked towards her instead.

“Young-ah.” I called, feeling guilty.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye Sanghyun.” She said as she waved towards the guy. 

“What see him tomorrow?! Tomorrow is Saturday! Where are you going tomorrow? What are you going to do with him?” I questioned.

“I don’t need to tell you.” She folded her arms and walked ahead. 

“Young, babe please.” I went after her and held her elbow, preventing her from walking further. She stopped walking but she didn’t look too happy.

“Let’s go and eat. You must be hungry.” I said, trying to ease the tension.

“I’m not hungry.” She mumbled, not looking at me.

“Okay, I am. At least accompany me?” I even tried to look a little pitiful.

“I want to go home.” She said and walked. Her giving me the cold shoulder is the worst.

“Young!” I followed after her and grabbed her again. 

“What? You don’t tell me things so why should I tell you?” She asked.

“I’m sorry about yesterday. It just slipped my mind. I didn’t do it on purpose. I’ll not do it again I promise.” I said as I pulled my ears as a form of punishment.

“Forgive me please?” I kept nudging her with my elbow while still pulling my ears.

She gave me a look and I just gave her a quick peck on her lips.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” She asked like I committed a crime as she covered in shock. I then noticed she’s trying to hide her smile.

“Kissing you. You love them.” I smiled. She walked away again.

“Can you stop walking away before we are done talking?” I said.

“Didn’t you say you want to eat? Hurry up! So slow.” She said as she walked faster. 

“Yes Ma’am!” I smiled as I chased after her. 

“I didn’t say you can put down your arms!” She gave me a look and my hands went back to pulling my ears. I didn’t care if people were staring. I could tell she was feeling embarrassed too. This girl, why still do it then?

“Stop doing that!” She pointed at me when I gave her random pecks on her cheek.

“Why are you lying? You like them.” I smiled innocently at her. She ignored me.

“Ouch.” She exclaimed when a woman bumped into her and held her shoulder.

“You can’t walk alone.” I said as I pulled her close to me, finally resting my arms while I wrapped one around her shoulder. She didn’t push me away so I guess she allowed it.

She lead the way but we ended up at an eatery with my favourite rice cakes. How sweet is she?

 

Eunyoung’s POV

As much as I wanted to stay mad at Daehyun, I can’t. He could talk me out of being mad and even peppered me with kisses.


After lunch, he dropped me home. I thought we could spend some time together probably window shopping or just chilling but he just said he was busy and then said that he would spend time with me at night when he comes back. All that happened after he received a call… I hope everything is alright. What if he has a new - no. I cannot have thoughts like that! I scolded myself. But he’s been rather secretive recently. Stop it Eunyoung!! He has his life to live too. Guys probably needs their own privacy!

I managed to get some homework done since I was left alone but I found myself getting frustrated easily when I could not get the answers out of my brain. I’ve come to realise how much Daehyun affects my mood. Why am I so spoilt?

‘Are you coming back soon?’ I texted him. 

‘I don’t think so. Don’t need to wait for me.’ He replied after about 15 minutes.

‘You said you would spend time with me…’ I typed back. Gosh, I feel so needy but I was already moody so…

‘I know. I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you.” He replied.

“Heat up the food when you’re back then.” I texted.

“You’re the best!” He replied with a kiss face emoticon. Am I even texting him? I don’t think he’s the type who types like this. STOP SUSPECTING HIM YOUNG!

I rested in bed and my eyes were closing when I heard noises outside. I quickly sat up and went down, turning on the lights.

“Daehyun!” I exclaimed when I saw him. He quickly hid his face, as if out of reflex.

I headed towards him and pulled his arms away. I got a shock. He had a bruised lip and black eye.

“Hey, I told you not to wait for me.” He said trying to avoid having eye contact with me.

“You would want that so that I wouldn’t see your face! What happened?! I thought the bruises came from your home but you are staying with me now so it can’t be from your parents right? What exactly are you doing outside?” I asked with a mix of worry and anger?

“Calm down.” He said.

“Calm down?! You’re asking me to calm down when you’re beaten up?! Who did this to you?! How can I calm down when I know nothing?! If I knew you were going to get hurt, I would have made you stay with me all day!” I answered feeling frustrated. 

“It’s really nothing.”He replied. 

“Why are you still trying to lie to me? I’m not a kid.” I asked. I then remembered. The fights! Why didn’t I think of them sooner?

“Is it the fights? They are not just sparring right?” I asked. He didn’t deny which meant I hit jackpot. 

“What are you doing at fights?” I asked.

“Fighting?” He replied. I gave him an unimpressed look. 

“Okay okay. I’ll say. I’m actually in a gang.” He said like it was nothing. I was shocked. As much as I heard him being in fights, I didn’t actually think that he would be in a gang!

“Seriously?! Do you know how dangerous it is? Why are you in one anyway?” I asked. I feel like I didn’t know him at all.

“I know you’ll be worried and all that’s why I kept it from you.” He said. Well, worried was definitely an understatement.

“Why?” I repeated.

“Don’t ask anymore alright? It’s no big deal.” He replied. 

“What? No big deal? You quit school to join a gang! I don’t want to worry whether you’ll get hurt every single day Daehyun!” I replied. Why can’t he see from my perspective?!

“School had nothing to do with anything. I promise I’ll be extra careful. Don’t worry. Can we stop talking about this?” He said.

“How? How can you be sure that you’ll be careful?” I asked. I didn’t know what was happening anymore. I was just blabbering. I don’t know what to feel now. 

“I’ll just make sure of it. Please, promise me we won’t talk about this anymore. I don’t want to talk about it.” He said.

“But you didn’t answer me!” I let out a sigh, trying to calm myself down.

“I told you all there is need to know. Don’t ask me anymore or I will move out.” He gave me an ultimatum.

“And what? Move back home? Did you just threaten me with your life? Wow.” a tear slipped down my face. I’m not sure if I was upset or angry or disappointed. Maybe all three. 

“I’m sorry. Just promise me okay? I promise you I’ll take care of myself.” He said as he wiped my tear. I don’t have a say anymore right since he already put his life on the line.

“Goodnight.” I muttered and headed back to my room.  

Tonight I realised how little I know him.

Tonight I realised how much he means to me.

Tonight I realised that I can’t stay mad at him probably because I love him and as much as I want to know, I don’t want him to go back to that hellhole. I rather have him with me.

But tonight I also realise and it hit me hard that I probably love him more than he loves me or himself…