Cheering Daehyun Up

Will Our Love Change?

Daehyun’s POV

 

“I’m already here.” I called Young when I was opposite her house.

 

“Want to come in?” She asked.

 

“It’s alright. I’ll just wait for you here.” I replied.

 

“I’ll take a really really long time!” She said. I knew what she was doing.

 

“It’s okay. I’ll wait.” I replied. She was trying to get me to wait for her at her home. In other words, enter her house and meet her parents. No thank you, I’m not ready to meet them yet.

 

“Hmm fine.” She said, I could imagine her pouting already.

 

In less than five minutes, I saw her heading out.

 

“You liar.” I said with a straight face without meaning it.  She just gave me a silly smile. I wanted to pinch her cheeks to but I ended not doing it. Young slipped her palm into mine instead.

 

“You haven’t tell me where we’re heading to.” I asked as we walked towards the train station hand in hand.

 

“Amusement park! You like?” She sounded really excited.

 

“I’ve never been to one before.” I said.

 

“Aww I bet you’re gonna LOVE it!” She squeezed my palm.

 

“How much is it? I’ll pay.” I said, feeling bad.

 

“I don’t know my dad got it for me. It was on some discount or something.” She replied like it was nothing. I took out my wallet. I was actually mentally prepared to be spending money when we go out together.

 

“Can you please not be like this? Not everything is about money. I just want you to be happy. I want to give you happy memories. It’s my way of trying to cheer you up! A cheer up date!” She held my hand, stopping me from taking out cash.

 

“You said it, it’s a date, the guy should pay.” I said.

 

“Who says so? I don’t care.” She said as she broke free of my grip before walking away. This girl.

 

“Young!” I shouted before chasing after her.

 

“Can we stop doing this? I really don’t mind. Does it really matter who arranges the date? Does it matter who pays? Can’t we just enjoy ourselves with each other? I just want to cheer you up. Are you going to make me sad?” She said when I caught up with her. If she puts it this way, I could only allow her to do things her way.

 

The train ride was a little long but it wasn’t boring. Eunyoung talked animatedly throughout the journey. She was sharing with me the other time when she went with her family and what rides were the must-rides.

 

“Sorry, I should have been more sensitive. I shouldn’t keep talking about my parents.” I heard her say. She sounded guilty.

 

“Don’t apologize. I like hearing your stories…” I replied and meant it. It’s funny how two lives could be so different. I used to always wonder how would life be like if I have different parents...

 

After awhile, we finally reached the amusement park. Turns out that Young bought the express tickets which meant that we didn’t need to queue for long. Why is she so nice?

 

Before getting on any rides, Eunyoung brought me to a cafe for me to get snacks. She was worried I was hungry after the long train ride. We got some snacks and shared them.

 

She wanted to take those slow rides first before heading to those adventurous rides which she said she was afraid of but willing to ride them.

 

We went on a carousel first. Seeing her enjoying herself on such a simple ride unknowingly made me smile as well. She stretched her palm out for me to hold her hand in which I gladly did. She started swinging back and forth.

 

“When I was younger, I love this ride because Oppa and I, instead of sitting still on one horse, we would run around, trying different horses, trying to get on them when they are at different heights. When the ride stops, we would try to hide from the ride operator for fun but somehow we always got caught.” She made a face.

 

“Come, let’s try it now!” She suggested as she hopped off the horse she was sitting on. This girl is like an energetic bunny. I accompanied her. She was smiling so happily, so easily contented with little things. Seeing her smile had made me smile as well.

 

We then headed on to other rides and then took a break for lunch. We went to a food court which was nearby the ride we were going to go on next.

 

Eunyoung searched for an empty table while I proceeded to get food. When I got back with burgers, she had already found a place for us. The boys seated beside us were obviously checking her out which made me frustrated to say the least. SHE’S MINE. How can Eunyoung be so oblivious to her surroundings?! She was talking about the rides she’s yet to take and how she felt about those she had already taken. To make known that Eunyoung is mine, I wiped away the sauce at the corner of her lips. She smiled at me and continued to talk and eat. Control, Daehyun.

 

After eating, we headed towards our next ride, the ferris wheel, another slow ride because we just ate. While we were walking, is it me or that guys are staring at Eunyoung? I really hate this feeling! I then looked at Young and realised that we didn’t look really couple like. Were people thinking that she was available?! Usually, my mother’s words fall into deaf ears but somehow, her words about Young were repeating itself in my head. Will she fall for another guy after she’s done with me or see better ones out there? With that thought, I slung my arm over her shoulders and pulled her closer to me. She looked at me and again, with a smile on her face as she leaned closer to me.

 

I felt slightly better that we were now alone, just us two. We took some photos and had small talks.

 

We took a few more mild rides before heading to the roller coasters. I was actually feeling nervous. We started with the less crazy ones before moving to the adventurous ones.

 

“Whoo!! I’m so excited but super scared at the same time. Are you scared?” Young asked me while we were in line for the next one which looked a little crazy. Should I tell her the truth and look like a weakling?

 

“Um.. Not really.” Way to go Daehyun. That totally spelt confidence.

 

“You’re nervous right? It’s normal! I won’t laugh at you.” She smiled at me.

 

When we got on the coaster, she held onto my hand.

 

“Trust me, this makes me feel better. You would think closing your eyes help but I think it’s even scarier. Don’t hold back your screams. I won’t laugh.” She said but she was smiling teasingly. This girl. Why is it at this weird moment that I feel so attracted to her? Oh . The ride started.

 

“Wow… I felt like my heart was dropping.” Eunyoung said when we were off the ride.

 

“It was okay.” I said trying to sound like I could handle it.

 

“HAHAHA! Your screams were louder than mine and you squeezed my palm so tightly!” She laughed.

 

“I thought someone said she wouldn’t laugh. And who was squeezing whose hand? You were squeezing mine!” I playfully frowned at her.

 

“Oops. But you’re so cute!” She said and then she felt embarrassed.

 

“I’m not cute.” I said with a straight face.

 

“Okay, you’re not cute.” She said while squishing my face between both her palms. I just messed her hair up and she let go of my face.

 

“What do you want to play next?” She asked.

 

“Your call.” I said. It didn’t matter to me anyways.

 

“Bumper cars then!” She said as she pulled me along with her. This child. I thought this date was to cheer me up but it seemed like she’s enjoying it so much more. Seeing her so happy and childlike unknowingly cheered me up already. I seem to be smiling a lot more when I’m with her.

 

When we got on the bumper cars, I was surprised that we were sharing one car and that she told me to be the driver. She was telling me excitedly who to attack. We were also attacked a number of times and she kept bumping onto my arm or chest. She would apologize when that happened though I secretly didn’t mind. She seemed so excited but she wasn’t bumping anyone.  I felt like I spoilt her ride.

 

“It was fun right?” She asked me after our round ended.

 

“Yeah. Let’s take it again.” I suggested and we went again.

 

“Do you want to sit together or separate cars?” The ride operator asked.

 

“Together.” I said before Young could say anything.

 

“You drive.” I said.

 

“Really? I mean it’s fine.” She said sounding excited and then calming herself down.

 

“Just sit.” I said. I was right. If she was even more excited now.

 

After the bumper cars ride, we played a few more rides before the sky got darker. We also went to the souvenir shops.

 

I could tell she was getting a little tired.

 

“Let’s go and eat?” I said. Great, I sound like a glutton.

 

“Okay. How about we head out? The shops are already closing.” She suggested and I agreed.

 

We went to a ramyeon shop before I walked her home.

 

“Thank you.” I said when we reached outside her place.

 

“You enjoyed right? I enjoyed myself too.” She smiled. She looked really beautiful tonight, under the street lights. Has she always been this beautiful?

 

“Oh. Give me your phone.” I said. She gave me a puzzled look but handed her phone to me. I took the female couple character phone charm that I got from the souvenir shop without her knowing and hung in on her phone. It didn’t matter if it was a girly move. She seemed like she would appreciate such acts. I handed the phone back to her.

 

“Aww it’s so cute! Thank you.” She said sincerely. I then took out my phone and showed her my strap.

 

“My gosh. You are so cute!” She said again and then became embarrassed again.

 

“Head home safe! Goodnight!” She said quickly, probably really embarrassed and she headed towards her gate.

 

“Young.” I called and she turned, wondering why I called her.

 

This is it. This is really it.

 

I jogged up to her, looking at her as I cupped her cheeks.

 

“Can I…” I paused and she looked at me expecting me to continue.

 

“Can I kiss you?” I asked softly. She looked at me with her eyes wide open as though I was speaking Greek to her.

"I mean it's okay if you're uncomfortable about it! I was just asking. Forget I asked." I became flustered and spoke really quickly. Damn it Daehyun. You sound like a ert. I closed my eyes and buried my face in my palm, ashamed of asking such a ridiculous question. I think felt her removing my palm and something soft and a little moist landed on my cheek.

 

SHE KISSED ME!

 

I opened my eyes and looked at her blushing cheeks. Why is it that she could be so bold one moment and then shy at the next? I cannot resist her charms!

"Goodnight, Young." I smiled down at her before giving her a peck on her forehead. She was still blushing.

"Goodnight Oppa." She squeezed my cheeks in her palms. She was probably trying to hide the fact that she was feeling shy by doing something silly. SHE CALLED ME WHAT? I didn't know my heart would flutter like a girl when she said that. I didn't expect my heart to react when she called me that. She then let go of my face and ran back home before I could even react to her.

This girl made me feel and realise so many things since I knew her. She was filled with surprises and didn't mind the ideas of girls taking initiative in a relationship. I really have to step up my game. I feel like the girl now.
 

 

Not sure if there are people still reading but... thank you for reading and commenting especially the freqent commentors. I really appreciate it and it keeps me motivated to continue the story.