Daehyun's Story

Will Our Love Change?

Daehyun’s POV

 

I walked and walked and ended up at a park. Why did I even end up here when I knew she was behind me? I should have brought her to somewhere a little livelier. I hope this park doesn’t give her the chills. But this park had the kind of feeling that would probably make things easier for me to tell her.

 

I sat on the bench while she stood up as though fearing me.

 

“You can sit.” I said and we sat in silence for a while, with an awkward gap between us.

 

“Are-are you still mad?” She asked timidly. I was actually feeling nervous because I’m unsure how she will react. We haven’t been together for a very long time but I really enjoyed her company. What if she finds me pathetic? Was I absolutely ready to share about my family to her even though there’s a high chance of us not hanging out together again?

 

“It’s getting late, maybe I should go...” She probably said it because I didn’t reply her. When I didn’t reply, she was about to stand and walk away. Am I really going to let her go just like that?

 

“Wait.” I said as I held her hand, preventing her from going.

 

“I’ll tell you about them but… listen first before you decide on anything okay?” I finally said it out. She nodded and sat closer to me. I really hope she listens first before deciding to leave me. At least hear me out since it’s not going to be easy saying them.

 

“I don’t know where to start.” I muttered, the old feelings and memories rushing back to me. I felt like it was suddenly difficult to breathe.



 

Eunyoung’s POV

 

Daehyun didn’t look too well. I always assume that he was in a family that was just like mine and everyone else. I didn’t expect him to look like this, like he was struggling. Maybe I was wrong and I shouldn’t have forced him to tell me anything. I didn’t want him to be uncomfortable.

 

“It’s fine, you don’t have to tell me anything if it’s too uncomfortable for you. I’m sorry I forced you.” I said feeling extremely guilty. I didn’t expect things to be like this.

 

“I’ve been alone for as long as I can remember, until I met Himchan hyung. My mother was abusive and she didn’t like me. She would beat me when she wasn’t in good mood or if I irritated her when I was younger. She doesn’t beat me as often now because I always try to avoid her. She said I was a curse because she lost her high paying job after I was born not long. I don’t even know why am I blamed for that. Then my father, he used to work at a restaurant, like I mentioned before but then he said the restaurant sacked him and then, like my mother, they put the blame on me, maybe it was my fault after all. He then started getting alcoholic and was an addict. I was like a thorn in their flesh, everything I did or just the sight of me was just unbearable to them. They abused me, tried to get me out of the house. How could my own parents do this to me? I even ran away countless times when I was younger but I would always find myself going back to them no matter how much pain I am in. I’m being stupid right?” He told me. I never knew he had such a tragic past. Did I just reopen his old wounds?

 

“I’m sorry… I didn’t know… I really shouldn’t have said anything.” I looked down. He’s just someone who wants to feel loved, like he belonged somewhere.

 

“I didn’t want to tell you because I didn’t want you to see this side of my life. Everything about me is . I want to cover and hide all these. I don’t want you to see that I’m a loser, that I’m not worth. I worry how you look at me and now you probably won’t want to talk to someone so unworthy and a curse. This is also why I don’t want to meet your parents. It’s not that I’m embarrassed of you, I’m embarrassed of myself. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you the truth from the start. You’re right, it’s getting late. I’ll just take you home. ” Daehyun wiped that lone tear (I knew he was trying to prevent his tears from falling.) and was about to stand and I felt the urge to hug him, which I did. He remained stiff in my embrace. It was a little awkward but he didn’t break away so I assume he’s fine with the hug?

 

Somehow it seemed different and much more emotional when he said it compared to Mummy. Of course I know that Mummy must have left out many details and she has Daddy now so the sadness from her past wasn’t as obvious and strong but Daehyun, they felt like wounds that were not healing, like they were infected and not cleaned properly. He wasn’t even a grown up. How is he handling all this alone?

 

“I should be the sorry one. I made you recall all the unhappiness. I’ve listened to you and now I want you to hear me out. You’re not pathetic or worthless. What type of person would I be if I stopped hanging out with you just because of your past that you had no control over?” I ended up pulling away from him and holding his hand instead.

 

To me, he’s the opposite of whatever he thought he was. He’s someone who gives me butterflies in my stomach, makes me happy and all jumpy when I’m with him. Then, I thought about the time he rescued me. I feel safe around him. He’s special to me. If only I had to guts to say these to him… If his parents can’t do their jobs right, I’ll gladly give him the affection he needs.

 

“So you won’t break up with me?” Daehyun asked hopefully. He had the feeling of an injured puppy. Breaking up with him would be like kicking an injured puppy.

 

“Of course.” I smiled, assuring him.

 

“Thank you. I feel better now that I told you… Come, I’ll take you home.” He said. I nodded and held his hand. I shouldn’t have doubted him from the start. How much courage must a broken person like him have before he could tell me his past?

 

It was peaceful silence between us. I love caressing my thumb at the back of his palm. It was like my way of comforting him.

 

When we reached my home, Daehyun surprised me by hugging me, like a goodbye hug or maybe a thank you hug. I hope he doesn’t feel how fast my heart is beating against his chest.

 

“Goodnight. Head home safe. Don’t think too much.” I said while we were still in that hugging position.

 

“I know I am not as expressive but please don’t doubt my feelings. You’re important to me.” Daehyun said surprisingly softly. I should be the one comforting him but he’s the one making me feel so tingly and happy inside. I nodded. You’re important to me too... I was a little surpised when he said that. He didn't seem like the emotional kind. He was probably in the mood.



 

After I washed up, and laid in bed, today’s conversation came into my head.

 

Everything he did and said made sense now. Why he could cook, why he said he wasn’t nice, why he was so insecure about himself and other things. I just hope that his parents will stop ill treating him and he’ll get better.



 

Daehyun’s POV

 

Even though I was nearby my place, I still walked Young home because I feel like I owe her and also because I wanted her safe. I told her not to doubt me but here I am doubting her. I didn’t expect her to be this warm and big hearted. I didn’t know what to expect and therefore, I expected the worst. She made me feel like maybe this world has nicer people.

 

When I got back to that house, the both of them were sitting on the couch. I nodded my head when I saw them and quickly tried to escape but obviously, luck wasn’t on my side.

 

“Took you long enough to get home when you’re just rotting around the corner.” My mother said with an evil smile which gave me the chills. She saw me?! Then she must have seen Young. Why didn’t she show herself? I was assuming that she would pounce on every opportunity have turn people away from me so why?

 

“Look at you, thinking that you would have a chance in love. I wonder what that dumb girl sees in you. She must have liked dating trash.” She added with a smirk. I was pissed. Not really at the fact that she called me trash but because she called Young dumb.

 

“You can say what you want about me but don’t call her names.” I tried to put on a brave front which failed. She stood up and gave me a slap across my cheek.

 

“Don’t you dare talk back to me, you filthy piece of worthless garbage!” She then yelled into my face as she grabbed my hair, holding my head still. I could only nod. I should have known, I would never win them…

 

“You think she’s dating you because she really likes you? Why would she like you? I don’t understand. You’re ugly, you have nothing and you’re a curse child. Trust me, after she’s bored with you, she’ll just leave you just like that, just like taking out trash. Just watch when a better guy appears. She’ll forget all about you and chuck you a side, like you didn’t exist. Trust me, mother knows best. I would have interrupted your moment with her but I figured it would be as impactful as her dumping you when she's done with you.” She was still grabbing onto my hair, forcing me to maintain eye contact with her. Jung Daehyun why are you so weak?! Then again, how could my own mother say things like that? It's more impactful if she broke up with me? What sort of parent would say that to their own flesh?

 

“Get out of my sight!” She said as she flung me like nothing. Thankfully, I was able to regain my balance. I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of them.

 

I thought I should feel slightly more comfortable knowing that Young already knew the truth but why do I feel so uneasy? Why am I allowing my mother’s words to get to me? I really am weak...

 

Another update! I apologize in advance if the waiting time for my upcoming chapters is super slow and and even more inconsistent...