Promise

Will Our Love Change?

Daehyun's POV

Time was running out and I still haven't come up with a solution... We told the ones involved and we only managed to raise around three thousand. Where am I going to find another 12 thousand?

"What are you thinking about?" Young asked.

"Nothing." I shook my head. I was absentmindedly rubbing her ankle.

"Want to go for a walk?" She asked.

"No. Do you want to sprain the other side too?" I flicked her big toe. Her ankle hasn't fully recovered yet and she wants to head out?

"I'm not made of glass... And it's obvious that there's something bothering you." She mumbled.

"Walking won't help." I said.

"So there is something bothering you!" She exclaimed. Damn, I not usually this careless with my words.

"What will help?" She asked. Money. Money will help...

"You think too much. Nothing is bothering me." I insisted. 

"Are you sure?" She looked at me. 

"Done. Let's go down." I lightly pat her leg. 

"You always avoid my questions..." She muttered under her breath. 

"So slow. The food will be cold by the time you reach the table." I as I helped her down. I appreciate the concern Young but I would like to solve it myself.

Young kept looking at me while we ate what her mom had cooked.

"What?" I asked her, feeling uncomfortable under her intensed looks.

"Tell me." She said.

"Tell you what?" I pretended I didn't know what she was saying.

"What's bothering you." She asked and slurped her soup.

"Nothing is bothering me. Eat your chicken and stop talking." I said as I placed a drumstick on her plate. She pouted and said nothing else.

Young stayed quiet throughout dinner. I knew she's upset and I felt guilty for making her moody.

"I'm fine, Young. Don't need to worry about me." I patted her head. 

"Eat more." I piled her plate with food hoping that I could make myself feel less guilty. Even though she was upset, she placed food on my plate too. Why is she so sweet?

After dinner, we went back to her room. The atmosphere was awkward, we didn't speak much and we were both doing our own stuff. I was thinking of a solution while Young was just watching her drama on her phone.

"I'm sleeping." She said after awhile as she laid on her bed and covered herself with the blanket. I turned off the lights for her, sat on the couch and held her hand.

"Go home." She sat up and pulled her arm away.

"I'll stay with you today." I decided.

"You don't need to. I don't want to keep relying on you." She said. I wasn't sure if she said it in a fit of anger or she really meant it but to hear her say that she didn't want to rely on me hurt my heart more than I expected.

"Young..."

"I... I mean I want to try again on my own." She explained, sounding less harsh. I looked at her, unsure of her words.

"I'll call you if I need to..." She added in a tone that assured me that her words weren't said because of anger.

"Are you sure? I really can stay with you today."  

"Yea... Go home... Night." She said as she covered herself with the blanket again. 

"Good night. Remember to call me if you can't sleep." I reminded. Why do I feel like I'm not needed? Why did I let her go to bed feeling upset? Dammit, Daehyun!

 

"Daehyun! Good news! I managed to help you find the money! You don't need to worry anymore!" Hyung said the moment I entered the house.

"Really?! How? I thought you didn't have money?" I asked.

"I managed to borrow from my friends." He said.

"You have friends willing to lend 12 thousand?! Who?" I questioned.

"This you don't have to know. Pass to your boss tomorrow." Hyung handed me an envelope filled with stacks of cash.

"Don't I at least have the right to know who to pay back once I raise the money?" I said.

"You just pass them to me. No hurry and I checked for you, there's no interest. My friend is really nice so you don't have to worry. Save yourself first." He said. I still couldn't believe Hyung managed to get the money.

"I know all your friends. I don't remember you having a super rich friend. 12 thousand in a few days? How is it possible?" I asked.

"Just take it. Don't ask so much." The more he didn't want to reveal, the more skeptical I became. 

"Are... Are these cash by illegal means?" I asked. He was being too secretive.

"Crazy. Who do you think I am? Just take it as a rich friend lent it to me." He said.

"When do I have to return the money?" I asked.

"I told you, my friend said take your time. She knows where I live anyway. I don't think she's afraid that I would run without returning the money." He explained.

"She? Does she like you or something?" I asked, feeling excited for him.

"Ew no! I have a girlfriend, Daehyun!" Hyung said, sounding like it was really disgusting for this girl to like him.

"So why?" I asked. I really don't understand and I'm sure anyone would question especially since 12 thousand is not a small sum!

"Stop asking so much! I can't say!" He said, avoiding eye contact with me. He was feeling nervous already. Something is fishy here. 

"Is it Young?" I made a bold guess. Hyung doesn't have many close female friends who are well off and knowing him, he wouldn't borrow from just any female... 

"What?! No! No! I'm going to sleep." Hyung said, obviously planning to avoid the conversation.

"Hyung! Why did you tell her? I thought I told you not to tell her? I don't want her to see me like this and I can't take her money!" I followed after him, not allowing him to escape. He sighed.

"Look, she was the only one I could think of that could and most likely will help. You said it yourself, it's not a small amount. No one I know will lend me other than her. We all know how ruthless your boss is. I don't want you to get into trouble. It's been a few days and you haven't come up with any solution. This is the only solution. If you don't want her help then you return the money to her. I was just trying to help you." He said and closed his room door.

I went to wash up and then laid in bed thinking about today. Young probably already knew about it even before I got to her place. She knew I was troubled. She must have wanted me to tell her on my own. I said nothing even after all her probing... 

 

I headed over to Young's place the next morning. 

"Oh, hi Daehyun. You're early. Looking for Youngie?" Her mom asked when she opened the door for me. 

"Morning Auntie. Yes, I'm looking for her." I smiled awkwardly. 

"She's in her room. Join us for breakfast later. " Her mom replied. I thanked her and headed up. 

 

Eunyoung's POV

"Wait! I'm changing!" I shouted when there was a soft knock on my door.

"Done!" I shouted again.

"Daehyun? Why are you here so early?" I asked when Daehyun revealed himself. 

"Did you have a good sleep?" He asked.

"Not really. Didn't manage to fall back to sleep so I just woke up earlier. You haven't answered my question." I decided to just tell him the truth as I invited him in and we sat on my bed.

"You could have called me." Daehyun replied, concerned.

"It's fine. I didn't plan on going back to sleep anyway." I shrugged.

"Oh." Daehyun said.

"Now I've answered your question, can you answer mine? Why are you here so early?" I questioned. 

"Oh. This... You found out..." I replied awkwardly when he took the envelope out from his bag.

"Why?" He asked. Because I don't want anything to happen to you.

"Because you needed it?" I said. Why was he asking the obvious?

"How did you get this much money?" He asked.

"Does it matter?" I said.

"Young..." He gave me a pleading look.

"Savings and some scholarship money." I muttered, giving in.

"Are you sure? You have this much savings?" He asked. I nodded. 

"Thank you but I can't take your savings Young..." He passed the envelope back to me.

"But you need the money. I borrowed some from my mom too. It's not all my savings." I revealed. I'm not sure if I should have said this much...

"All the more I can't take them. I'll figure something out." He said as He ruffled my hair.

"I heard you need it urgently. You're going to have to borrow from someone else anyway so why can't you just borrow from me?" I asked.

"I'm really thankful and appreciate that you are willing to lend such a huge sum to me but...I don't want to use your family's money like that Young..." He said. I knew that he would be like this that's why I wanted to keep it a secret but he found out anyway...

"I already borrowed from my mom. This money is to help you anyway. Why can't you just accept it? It's not like I'm giving it to you. You have to return them. You don't have to feel bad or anything. I want to help." I said.

"Besides, I don't think you will be able to find anyone that can lend you this amount of money in such a short time and without high interest rates! I waived the interest off just for you!" I smiled. Daehyun pinched my cheek lightly. Is it dumb that I wouldn't mind him not returning me the money? I only said it because I believe Daehyun wouldn't accept my help if I just gave it to him.

"Take it. Don't worry too much. I'm not in urgent need of cash anyway." I said as I placed the envelope in his hands. As much as he didn't want to take, there are really no other options that I could think of.

"Thank you Young... I promise I'll return them back to you." He gently wrapped his arms around me, embracing me. 

"You're welcome! I know where you stay anyway. You can't run." He rubbed my cheeks between his palms when I .

"Daehyun, I hope you'll share your problems with me. You've been helping me, I want to be of help when you need it too. You don't have to face them alone..." I said on a serious note. 

"I'll try." He said.

 

"What?" I asked when I realised he was staring at me.

"Nuh-Nothing." He stuttered and then lightly patted my head. I realised Daehyun now does these little gestures of affection more frequently. Is he finally more welcome to skinship? Or was he doing just for me because I used to like them and want me to be comfortable with such affection again? I wasn't exposed to such gentle touches for quite some time and was afraid that I would react negatively towards them but knowing that the one initiating these little acts is Daehyun, I wasn't so afraid anymore. I believe he wouldn't hurt me. Thank you Daehyun, for making me feel comfortable around you again...

"Young..." Daehyun called me after moments of peaceful silence.

"Hmm?" I answered.

"Is your mom okay with lending me the money? What did she say? I must have looked like a loser in front of her..." He said.

"Of course she's okay with it or I wouldn't even be able to get them from her. She was just worried that you'll get cheated but we know you won't get cheated easily. Other than worrying about that, she was surprisingly calm about the situation. Maybe it's because my dad was in a gang too and such stuff happened but I'm just guessing." I explained. 

"How about I sell myself to you?" Daehyun grinned as he stuck his face inches away from mine. That was random... Trust him to be joking in this situation...

"What?" I asked.

"You know what I mean." He said as he inched even closer towards me. Why is it suddenly so warm in here? Why am I not moving away?

"No..no. I don't know what you mean." I stuttered.

"You have a free pass now. As long as you need me for anything, you call me and I'll be there." He said.

"Oh..." He meant it like that.

"Why? What did you think I meant?" His face was still really close to mine... 

"How would I know?" I finally pushed him away.

"You mean if I want to eat anything you'll get it for me? No matter what time? How about if I need help with cleaning my room? You'll come too? Or what about if I want to buy something and can't decide? Can I call you to come down and ask for your opinions too?" I wondered aloud, teasing him too. 

"I was thinking along the lines of if you're being bullied or if you're unhappy... What you're asking for is what a boyfriend would do. Why? Can't wait for me to be your boyfriend already?" Daehyun sat closer to me. Why did I even bother teasing him? I won't win. Now I'm embarrassed.

"Alright I shall not tease you further." He said as he my hair.

"Young..." He called me again after we calmed down from the teasings. I looked at him.

"I promise after I settle whatever I need to settle, I'll quit the gang." This was the best thing I heard in awhile. I was always worried about his wellbeing and this money issue made me worry even more. I know he dislikes me talking about his gang stuff so I usually don't bring it up but I'm relieved that he finally decides to quit. 

"Let me know if I can help you with anything." I nodded.

"I promise I'll take care of myself, you don't have to worry about me." He said.

"Wh-who said anything about worrying about you?" Why does it seem like he was able to hear my thoughts? I didn't say that aloud, did I?!

"Really? Who specially came to visit me because I was injured?" He asked. Why is he so annoying?

"I don't know. Who?" I feigned ignorance. 

"Ouch..." He groaned as he clutched his chest suddenly.

"What happened?! Don't scare me!" I panicked as I held onto him.

"Your words hurt me. I thought you said you're not worried?" He smiled. 

"Never joke about such stuff again!" I pushed him away. I was relieved it was just a joke but at the same time I wanted to punch him for joking about his health. He just laughed it off.

 

"Young, you shouldn't trust people so easily... " Daehyun said.

"What?! You're not quitting?!" I frowned.

"No. no. I'm referring to the money issue and anything else for that matter. You don't have to be so generous and willing to help. I'm afraid you'll get cheated." Daehyun explained. I was relieved. I thought he was joking about leaving the gang.

"Don't worry about me. I'm not a kid. I believe you will return the money back to me." I said.

"Why?" He asked.

"I just trust you." I said softly, not wanting to elaborate further. After all that has happened, I believe Daehyun doesn't have any ulterior motive being close to me. I don't think anyone will provide emotional support like he does when I'm like this. I'm really thankful that he was with me during this period. I hope I'm not unlucky to go through the same thing all over again. Please don't let me be wrong. Daehyun, I hope you won't end up hurting me again... I don't think I'll be able to handle it.