Happy Birthday

Will Our Love Change?

Eunyoung's POV

I realised how inconsiderate I am as a girlfriend. Jaehyun has been understanding towards me but all I did was hurt his feelings by talking about Daehyun. What was I thinking? Anyone wouldn't be pleased if their boyfriend or Girlfriend kept talking and bumping into their exes. I already failed once. I don't want another relationship to fail again because of me. I should put in more effort, afterall, relationship is not about taking and receiving but giving as well. I should probably do something for him... 

 

I spent the entire week planning what I should do for Jaehyun. Initially I wanted to do a simple dinner celebration at a restaurant but it probably would seem too sloppy. Since he wanted me to cook, I should probably put in effort and do it properly. I told Mommy about my plan and she agreed to help me without much hesitation. I don't think I have a talent for cooking but I really want to do my best! Everyday ever since I decided what I wanted to do for him, I've been diligently learning from Mommy different dishes and even tried to bake. I failed so many times but Mommy was always patient. When I was starting to get the hang of it, my family members were my guinea pigs. At first, they were happy to be tasting them but after numerous times, they got bored and sick of the taste. Oppa even teased me saying it'll not be edible no matter how many times I did it. Says the one who kept eating even though it wasn't perfect.

 I didn't really hang out with Jaehyun during this week fearing I might leak something out by accident. All I told him was to appear at a country club on Wednesday night. He asked what's with the sudden secrecy. Did he really forget or he's pretending so that he'll be surprised on that day? 

 

Soon, Wednesday came! I headed over to the country club after school started putting up the party decorations. In the evening, Mommy brought the food over from home and wished me good luck. I too hope everything will go according to plan. 

I invited some of his closest friends and they arrived together with Jaehyun. I knew because we were texting each other as I told him to update me on his whereabouts.

I stood by the door with his cake in my hands as I waited for him to come. When the door opened, Jaehyun looked stunned as he saw me with his birthday cake. I started singing the birthday song for him but it was just a little awkward because I was singing it by myself. His friends didn't join me. 

"Dude, I didn't know your birthday is today." 

"Yeah, me too. Did you change your birthday?" 

"Is this a pre-birthday celebration?" 

"Isn't your birthday in August?" 

After seeing his reaction and hearing his friends' comments, I looked at the date. June 28. Why was this date so stuck in my head? I just know it's an important date and had to do something so naturally I planned something. Then it came to me. I mixed up the dates! Oh crap! How do I clean up this mess I've created myself? 

"Did she mix up the dates? Probably with another guy's?" One of his friends said aloud probably as a joke but it wasn't funny. Oh no. Jaehyun's face was turning red and he looked angry. I don't usually see him looking like that. 

"I'm sorry. Can we-" I said but couldn't finish my sentence.

"You embarrassed me in front of my friends!" He scolded as he flipped the cake. I looked down in shock. Both the cake and my dress were ruined. I suddenly felt angry too but I held it in. I guess nothing beats feeling like crap when your own girlfriend doesn't even remember your birthday... 

"Let's go." Jaehyun said to his friends.

"But I prepared this for you. At least eat a little." I said.

"Do you think I still have the mood for this?" He asked with a look that I've never seen before and then headed out with his friends, leaving me alone looking like a mess and with all my food left untouched...

All the hard work for nothing. Why am I such a lousy girlfriend? I can't even get the dates right.

I sat on the table, wanting to eat because I didn't want my effort to go to waste but then I glanced down at the mess again and couldn't help but feel disappointed at myself. I'm such a loser. I ended packing up and grabbing a cab back home. Youngie, do not cry!

 

"How did - what happened?" I came home to Mommy's question. 

"I messed up." I muttered as I placed the food on the table and headed to my room to prepare for a bath. 

Somehow I'm thankful that Mommy didn't come up to my room and start asking even more questions even before I'm out of this dress.

After my bath, I walked into my room and Mommy was there, on my bed.

"What happened Youngie? Why did you have cake all over your dress? Your food wasn't touched at all." I could tell Mommy was worried and concerned by her tone.

"It's really stupid. I got my dates wrong. It wasn't Jaehyun's birthday. I screwed up. I'm so dumb. Why didn't I get my dates right?" I replied.

"But that didn't answer my question. Why is your dress dirty? I don't think my daughter is this clumsy right?" Mommy asked. 

"I guessed I spoiled his mood. He got a little mad and flipped the cake. But it's my fault. I embarrassed him." I muttered.

"He did that?! He didn't seem like that kind of guy that will hurt you like that." Mommy said. I know she wasn't doubting my words but rather, she was shocked. I was shocked too.

"I kinda deserved it... I don't even remember my own boyfriend's birthday..." I added.

"But still, no one should treat anyone that way. Does he know that you made everything for him?" Mommy asked.

"It doesn't matter." I said. Afterall, I was in the wrong. Nothing will change the fact.

"Youngie, I don't think he's the one for you. It's just my gut feeling but I feel he's not the right guy." Mommy said.

"People get upset and angry once in awhile. It's normal in a relationship." I replied. 

"Then I hope he will apologize for what he did to you and how he made you feel." Mommy said. I should apologize as well.

"You don't have to cook today. We can just eat the party stuff." I told her, changing the topic.

 

 

Daehyun's POV

Every year this day, was just like a normal day to me. My family didn't bother celebrating because why would they celebrate a curse? 

I was about to head out to meet the gang when I received a call.

"Daehyun where are you? Get over here quick! Something happened! Boss is not happy!" My friend speed talked and then hung up the phone. I was shocked but quickly composed myself and rushed to the warehouse.

When I entered, it was dark. I called some of my friends names but I didn't get any response. What happened to everyone?!

"SURPRISE!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAEHYUN!" I suddenly heard a group of them shout and Hyerin holding a cake and walking towards me, singing a birthday song.

"Make a wish!" She smiled. I'm not sure if birthday wishes even come true or not but I wished for Young to leave that bastard. I then blew out the candles and they cheered.

"How did you guys know?" I asked, feeling a little touched. No one other than Hyung made this day special for me before.

"Of course the boss' daughter would know!" Someone answered. 

"Thank you." I smiled appreciatively at her.

"You're welcome! Let's eat and then get going." She said. I nodded.

 

"What are we doing here?" I asked. Hyerin directed me to a fancy restaurant. I thought we had an assignment to complete?

"A birthday will not be complete without a birthday dinner! My treat! Order whatever!" Hyerin smiled.

"You really didn't have to but thank you." I thanked her sincerely. There were only very few people who would go an extra mile for me and I appreciated it.

"Of course I have to!" She said. I looked at her feeling slightly confused. Have to?

"I mean we're partners right?" She held up a glass. I smiled and cheers with her.

After dinner, Hyerin needed to go back to the warehouse. 

"I head back with you." I said. 

"No it's alright. It's still your birthday! I'm sure you'll want to enjoy it till the last second!" She said as she flagged a cab for herself.

"Happy birthday again Daehyun." She smiled and passed me a gift before boarding the cab.

 I opened the box and was surprised. It was a branded watch. I better treat her to a meal. 

I was walking along the streets and I started feeling empty and a little pathetic. Strangers around me were either with their partners or with a group of friends. I can’t believe I’m spending the last few hours of my birthday alone. I wouldn’t mind during the previous years but I just had to be around such places that made me feel like a loser. 

I need to get rid of this loneliness. I just headed into the first club I came across.  

I found an empty seat and sat near the bar counter. Even though I was alone, at least I was able to drown my feelings with alcohol. 

I was onto the fifth glass and was starting to feel a little tipsy. I didn’t want to drink till I was dead drunk but it seemed like I’m almost there. I Guess my feelings which are bottled up is making me drink a whole lot more. I was half expecting Young to celebrate it and make a big fuss about spending the first birthday since we got together. Who knew before it could happen, we would no longer be together? Thoughts like these made me drink a whole lot faster. 

“Alone?” I heard a female voice as I felt something touch my thigh. I looked at her and smirked. 

“Is this how you start a conversation? By touching strangers?” I asked as I pushed her hand away. 

“I’m assuming you’re here to pick up girls.” She said with a shrug and ordered whatever I was drinking. 

I’m not even sure how we ended up talking. It’s not like I want to. I’m just making use of her presence. We’re probably talking about useless things which I wouldn’t even remember. 

I guess I was really tipsy. Why didn’t I control myself from drinking too much? I must have really wanted to get myself drunk. 

“Shall we have over to your place and continue our drinking session?” The sober me would tell her to get lost but the drunk me already said yes. 

 

 

This his was supposed to be up on Daehyun’s birthday but I couldn’t finish it in time for it and I eventually procrastinated updating this fic because I was losing the feel. I still hope to continue and finish this though. I apologise for the many months of not updating! I hope there are still people reading this...