Lunch

Will Our Love Change?

Eunyoung's POV

It's been about a week since I started working at Daddy's headquarters. At first, I didn't have much to do. It seemed like people were afraid to assign me with work just because I'm their boss's daughter. They must have not want me to think that they were incapable of handling their respective tasks. I had to approach the team's head to give me something to do. It wasn't anything too tedious but I was thankful that I could start doing something instead of just waiting for time to pass. 

Just as I was doing some calculations, my phone rang.

"Young, lunch?" Daehyun asked. Short and sweet.

"Yes! I'll see you there?" I replied, sounding a little too excited. It's been awhile since we met. Daehyun told me the location and we hung up. Lunch time is my motivation! Two more hours!

"Youngie." I looked up and saw Mommy. The rest of my colleagues greeted her.

"It's lunch time." Mommy smiled and held up the bag of food. Even though it has only been about a week, Mommy has been delivering food to Daddy and I frequently. Daddy said that Mommy is biased because she visited more often ever since I started working.

"Sorry! I forgot to inform you I'm not having lunch with you and Daddy today. Daehyun asked me out for lunch!" I said.

"It's fine. Enjoy your lunch with Daehyun." Mommy said.

"Enjoy your lunch with Daddy!" I waved goodbye to her.

When I reached the restaurant, Daehyun was already seated. He was seated facing the door. I waved at him but it seemed like he didn't see me.

"Hi! Sorry I'm late." I apologised and took a seat in front of him.

"Hey, you came. I ordered coke for you. " He said as he handed me the menu. I smiled, thanking him. 

I then told the waitress my order.

"Have you been sleeping well?" Daehyun asked while we were waiting for our food.

"It's getting better! I only had one nightmare. I sleep pretty fast now maybe because I'm not used to the working life yet." I told him. 

"I'm sorry, I should have been there for you." Daehyun said. I shook my head, it wasn't that big of a deal. He helped me out in the initial stages which was the most important step. Without him, I would still be sleeping on the floor.

Our food came while we were talking and Daehyun gave me some of his food.

"Hey! I'm not a pig!" I made a face as he filled my bowl as though I haven't eaten for days.

"Shhh... Just eat. You'll have to go back to work later." Daehyun said.

"What happened to your hand?" I asked as I held his palm. There was a faint bruise on his arm that seemed like he got hit by a rod or something of that sort.

"Oh, we were just practising, self defence. No big deal, don't worry." He said. I gently rubbed the bruise, feeling a little upset seeing it on his arm. He patted my palm, assuring me he was fine. He always says the same thing. How can I not worry?

"How's work? Are your colleagues friendly? Did anyone bully you?" Daehyun asked.

"Work's fine. They seem a little careful around me? It's like they're expecting me to snitch on them to Daddy or something. It took them awhile to finally give me things to do. OH! There was this lady who lashed at me just because I made a minor error of stapling in the wrong order. She even scolded saying that I came to the office with Daddy's help and that I can't even do something this simple without screwing up. Then, you know what the best part was? Daddy appeared! You should have seen her expression. I guessed she was so scared Daddy was going to fire her , she quickly fled." I described to Daehyun.

"Be careful around these sort of people. Don't give them any chance to hurt you." Daehyun said. I nodded.

"So.... how about your male colleagues?" Daehyun asked. I wanted to laugh.

"They're pretty nice and helpful! Sometimes they buy drinks for me. I would have eaten lunch with one of them if you didn't call me today!" I smiled.

"What did you say?" He glared at me as he squeezed my cheeks between his palms. I laughed.

"They buy drinks for everyone. I would have eaten with Daddy if you didn't call." I said.

"That better be the case. Maybe I should make my presence known so that no one will make a move on you." Daehyun wondered aloud. 

"No one will make a move on me." I said. Why would they? They probably wouldn't want the boss's daughter and there are many other girls better than me.

"Good. Then I won't have to kill any of them. Less competition for me anyway." Daehyun said as he patted my head. I knew he was subtly comforting me from my thoughts and was joking about the killing part.

"Why did you suddenly call me out for lunch?" I asked.

"Must I have a reason to meet you? Can't it be just because I want to see you?" Daehyun answered my question with more questions... I made a face. I have to get used to a mushy Daehyun.

"So how are things going for you?" I asked after a period of peaceful silence.

"Daehyun?"  I asked again when he didn't reply me.

"Huh?" He asked. 

"Is everything alright?" I asked. Something felt off about him.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't it be? Finish up your food, I don't think you should be out for so long." He replied as he urged me to eat more.

"Oh right!" I quickly finished my food while giving Daehyun some.

"I'll walk you back." Daehyun said after we were done with our lunch.

"You want to make your presence known?" I teased. 

"You know me so well." He said with a straight face.

We had small talks while we walked. I did most of the talking while Daehyun asked questions and listened.

"I reached..." I said.

"You work here? Your dad owns this company?" Daehyun asked. I nodded. I then realised I never mentioned Daddy's company before and Daehyun always turned down visiting any of his restaurants and he didn't really ask much about my family stuff.

"My father used to work here a really long time ago..." Daehyun revealed. Wow, what are the odds? He then told me his father's name.

"Doesn't really matter now..." He said. Was he thinking about the past? 

"Your parents know you're out with me.You better get going." Daehyun said.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked.

"What's there to not be alright about?" He replied.

"If you say so..." I said.

"Oh, Young, I might get busy the next few weeks or so. We may not be able to meet as often." Daehyun said. 

"Why do you look so sad? Gonna miss me? I wonder how you will feel once you become my girlfriend." Daehyun wriggled his eyebrows, teasing me. Ever since the confession at Himchan oppa's place, he's been bringing up this topic randomly. I still have to get used to it.

"Alright, I'll not tease you further. Go on up." He messed my hair.

"Don't get hurt." I said as we waved goodbye.

"Are you not going to give me a goodbye hug?" He pouted, looking really sad. I rolled my eyes but hugged him before heading back to work.

 

Daddy had some urgent stuff to clear before he could leave so I waited for him in his room after I was done with my work.

"Darling, I'm done. Let's go home." Daddy woke me up. I was asleep on his couch. I must have been too tired.

On the way back home, I asked Daddy if he knew Daehyun's dad. He was also shocked that they were related.

"Why did you sack him?" I asked, feeling curious.

"I found out he smeared the restaurant name for money. He also had some anger management problems and would randomly argue with the customers a few months before he stopped working for me." Daddy told me.

"I cannot believe Daehyun is his son... He must have suffered a lot." Daddy added.

 

Daehyun's POV

It's been some time since I last saw Young. I really wanted to meet her even if it was going to be just a short while. I made lunch arrangements with her and thankfully she agreed. I missed her.

I reached the eatery first and sat at a seat that was easy for her to spot me. I ordered drinks while waiting for Young to arrive. My thoughts then drifted off and I didn't even realise Young appeared. Seeing her made me feel slightly better. How cans she look cute even in office wear? She was slightly out of breath. Did she rush here? 

We talked while we ate. I haven't been at her place for awhile but I'm relieved that her being tired from work helped her fall asleep without having too many nightmares though I still wished I was there with her more often. 

I'm also happy that she's talking a lot more now, though not as much as before, at least it's still something. I contemplated on asking her for help. However, hearing how her week went, I probably shouldn't bring up anything. It's only her first week of work and she still has to get used to it. Judging on how things were going for her, she has more than enough to worry about. I should be there to listen to her problems and not be the problem.

"Daehyun?" 

"Huh?" I replied.

"Is everything alright?" She asked. I really shouldn't trouble her.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't it be? Finish up your food, I don't think you should be out for so long." I tried diverting her attention.

There's only one solution for me if I want to end it once and for all.