Christmas

Will Our Love Change?

Daehyun’s POV

It was eventually Christmas. I have to admit, I didn’t expect myself to be looking forward to it. I don’t even like Christmas or events like this so why am I even looking forward to it?! Aish. Must be this girl.

Why do I feel so nervous? Young always says that her family is easy going and all the other nice stuff but why do I feel scared? It’s just a dinner Daehyun! Stop thinking like you’re gonna to ask for permission to marry her.

I borrowed one of Hyung’s formal shirt and matched it with my most decent pair of jeans, the pair that wasn’t ripped and headed to Young’s place with gifts. I didn’t know what to get so I ended buying some chocolates. I hope they don’t find them too insincere or cheap. 

“Daehyun! Are you reaching?” She greeted when I called her.

“Young, I’m not going already.” I said.

“What? Really? But we prepared your portion and I was reallyyy looking forward to it.” She said, disappointment evident from her tone.

“Yeah. I have to settle something.” I replied.

“What… What’s so important that you had to do it on Christmas Day? Can’t you do it tomorrow or something? Why?” She asked.

“They said I have to do it today.” I replied.

“Do what?!” She asked, I could feel her getting frustrated.

“Stuff, you won’t understand.” I answered.

“Fine!” She shouted at me.

“Why are you shouting? I know it’s a little last minute but at least I told you.” I replied.

“A little last minute? Daehyun, you’re supposed to reach in fifteen minutes!” She was pissed. 

“I know, my bad. I actually delivered the gifts to you. I think it’s outside your house, at your doorstep.” I replied, not sounding sorry at all.

“Why would I want your gifts when you’re not even here? You didn’t keep your word.” She vented.

“But I took time to consider it.” I tried to reason.

“So what?! The fact is that you’re not here!” She said and I heard the front gate open. 

“I thought you said you don’t want the gifts?” I smirked.

“How dare you lie to me?! I really thought you’re not coming!” She said as she threw a little tantrum.

“Surprise?” I said as I stuck out my arm. 

“You’re so mean.” I could tell she wanted to whack me but held back. It’s not my fault she’s so cute to tease.

“I’m mean? Then I guess I will keep this?” I said as I showed her three stalks of flowers.

“No!” She yelled and then snatched the flowers from me.

“Are you not going to invite me in?” I asked as she smelt and fiddled with the flowers.

“No. You’re naughty.” She frowned.

“Okay. I’ll make a move first.” I smiled and waved.

“YOU’RE SO SO SO BAD!” She shouted as she pulled me in by my arm. Bad? Really? That’s all she could say? I laughed.

“What’s going on? Why are you shouting?” Young’s mother appeared suddenly which gave me a shock.

“He-hello Auntie. This is for you and the family. Merry Christmas.” I stuttered and bowed when I greeted her and then handed her a paper bag of gifts.. 

“Oh! Hoodie boy! Oops, I mean Daehyun! You’re early. Come in! You’re so sweet! Thank you.” Her mom welcomed me in. Hoodie boy?

“Why didn’t you invite him in Youngie?” Her mom asked. They call her Youngie? That’s cute.

“It’s his fault!” She replied, still looking grumpy. 

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to surprise her or lie to her.” Am I in deep now? Is her mom going to blow because I made Young upset? Young looked at me.

“, it’s nothing. We’re just playing.” Young said as she patted my chest lightly, as though calming me down.

“I’m really sorry.” I quickly replied. Well, this is definitely not a good start.

“Pardon my daughter. She can be a little crazy at times. Come in.” Her mom said and went in first. What? She wasn’t angry?

“There’s nothing to be worried or afraid about. My mom knows I’m joking. I’m sorry. I should have spared a thought for your feelings. My family won’t hurt you alright?” Young was back to her gentle side. I just nodded.

“Are you okay to come in?” She asked as she wrapped her arms around mine. I took a deep breath and entered.

“You know, you look handsome today.” She said suddenly. I looked at her, surprised at her compliment. I had to admit, I felt good getting compliments from her, afterall, it was because of her I am wearing a shirt.

“You wore a shirt and even ironed it! I need a photo of this!” She said as she whipped out her phone and took a photo of the both of us, standing in the middle of her living room. Why is she so random?

“You- you look really pretty too.” I told her.

“Huh?” She was with that loud and excited tone.

“Nothing.” I replied. 

“What did you say just now?!” She asked and gave my arm that she was hugging on a really tight squeeze.

“I SAID YOU LOOK REALLY PRETTY! OWW!” I sort of yelled because of her sudden act.

“I know.” She smiled and made a victory sign. This girl. Was she high or something?

“Yucks! Don’t make me puke. I haven’t even eaten! She’s just wearing home clothes.” I heard someone said. I looked up at the source of sound and realised it was a guy which I assumed it was her brother. I heard many stories of him from Young.

“Ignore him.” She said and pulled me along with her.

“Hello. Merry Christmas” I bowed slightly.

“Merry Christmas. I’m Baekhyun. I pity you. You have to deal with her craziness.” Her brother shook his head while I nodded.

“What? Yah!! How can you agree with him?!” Young shouted again.

“Shh. stop shouting. I’m just joking.” I messed her hair. I believe it wouldn’t be difficult getting along with her brother.

“I’m not.” He said.

“What’s with all the noise? Can’t you both behave? There’s guest here!” Her mom appeared. I smiled awkwardly.

“Oppa started it!” She pointed fingers. I wonder if they behave like this daily. Even though they yell at each other, I could tell Young didn’t mean them. Was this how they tease each other? Their home seemed really lively, a total opposite of mine…

“Sorry about the both of them. They argue like they’re still kids.” Her mom apologized. I shook my head, not minding. It was a different experience seeing Young at home, around her family.

“Oh yes! My dad! Where’s Daddy?” Young asked her mom.

“Kitchen.” She replied and without saying anything I got pulled along with her. I could really tell she’s so excited. It felt nice that I could make her feel like that.

“Hello uncle. Merry Christmas.” I bowed. Somehow, her dad seems scarier than her mom.

 “So he’s the cause of you scalding your finger.” He said. Young told them about that incident when she got at my place because of the backhug?

“I’m really sorry. It’s my fault. I didn’t mean to.” I bowed and apologized profusely. Young then squeeze my arm.

“Daddy! It’s not his fault! I was just clumsy making ramyeon for him! It was the egg shell’s fault!” She signaled me while explaining for me. I was a little confused. Egg shell? Did he meant the recent one? Wait, she got scalded a second time?! 

“You didn’t tell me that.” I took her hands in my palms and assessed the damage worriedly. Why is she so clumsy? No, she’s not the clumsy one. I made her cook for me. I am indirectly the cause of it.

“It’s nothing! It healed already! I’m fine!” She said as she waved her hands at me. Thankfully she’s fine…

“She had a cut on her leg as well when she was cooking for you!” Her dad added. Oh . I don’t need to be smart to know that her dad hates me. I keep hurting his daughter. A cut on her leg?! Did she break something or did she drop a knife accidentally or what?!

“What are you talking about?” She asked but I quickly down to take a look at her cut. That’s weird, there’s no cut at all. 

“Do you feel any pain? Where’s the cut?” I asked, looking for any scars but there was none.

“There’s no cut. Daddy what are you talking about?” She asked as she helped me up.

“Nothing. I was just testing him. Merry Christmas Daehyun.” Her dad smiled. What? What in the world just happened? Testing me? I probably screwed up so badly...

“Daddy!! You scared him!” She frowned and brought me out and up to her room. I didn’t say anything but just allowed her to lead the way. We sat on her bed.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know my dad would do something like that.” She was still frowning. Come to think of it, her dad may be scary and I’m not sure if I did well for a first impression but it just shows that he cares for her. Her family really loves her. I have never received such treatment or felt anything like this from my parents before. Sometimes I really wonder how would my life turn out if I have a family like hers.

“I’m not upset or anything. Stop frowning.” I brushed my thumb between her eyebrows.

“I wasn’t sensitive to your feelings just now, my bro was so annoying and then now my dad just did some stupid test on you. It wasn’t supposed to be like this… I’m so sorry it turned out this way… I was so excited that you were finally coming but then you had to experience all these. It was supposed to be a happy christmas. Everything is ruined now and you probably won’t want to come here again.” She said. I could tell she was upset with herself. Oh no. She’s tearing up! I’ve come to realise how emotional she is and she tears up really easily. Silly girl.

“Don’t cry. I’m fine, really. I wouldn’t want you to cry on Christmas. Your family wouldn’t want to see you crying too.” I tilted her face up by her chin and wiped her tears.

“I’m just so angry they had to play you like that!” She sniffled.

“I’m really fine with it. It just shows that they really care about you and want to make sure you’re not with someone who is just anyone.” I tried to coax her. It was like our roles were reversed. She was always the one trying to calm and reassure me.

“But they should have trusted me!” She yelled back.

“They do. It’s me that they don’t trust. You’re theirs afterall. They were just looking out for you.” I patted her head. 

“I’m a brat aren’t I?” She looked down. I guess I know what she was getting at. She was referring to the way she is when she’s around her family. She probably feels that She shouldn’t be like this in front of me because of my background. I really didn’t like how she suddenly has so low self confidence. Where did my crazy, overly cheerful Young go? I cupped her face and tilted it towards me and kissed her lips.

“I DID NOT JUST SEE THAT!! EWW!!! Come down for dinner!” We heard Baekhyun’s voice. Oh my, it’s so embarrassing getting caught kissing her.