I'll Be Here

Will Our Love Change?

Daehyun's POV

"Dae-Daehyun? Why are you here? Get out!" There was panic in her voice. I the lights and stared at her in shock. She was planning to sleep on the floor?

"I said get out!" She raised her voice as she got up and tried to push me out of her door. I resisted and closed her door, not wanting to disturb her family.

"Young! Don't do this. What did I do?!" I asked her as I held her arms, trying to prevent her from pushing me.

"I don't want to talk about it! Get out! Go home! I don't want to see you!" She frowned.

"You want me to leave? Fine. I'll go if you tell me you hate me. You say it to my face, I'll leave immediately and never appear in front of you again." I said. She hesitated before finally replying.

"I don't hate you. Can you just go?" She mumbled really softly. I smiled a little. I want to hug her tightly then but judging from her past reaction, it's best if I didn't do anything.

"Can we talk things out please? How did I upset you? At least give me a chance to explain myself and make it up to you. Is it because of the kiss? I'm sorry. I didn't think it through. I should have considered your feelings." I blabbered. I never tried so hard in the past. I also don't want the past to repeat. I want us to work out. 

"I've put that down already. Just don't do that again." She said.

"Alright. But I thought you liked skinship?" I said aloud.

" that was insensitive." I added when she stared at me. I shouldn't have done it regardless, we weren't an item.

"Things happened, people change..." She murmured. I'm not exactly sure what she meant but I could roughly guess it. We're probably the main reason.

"Then why are you avoiding me?" I asked.

"I was being stupid. Doesn't matter." She replied.

"No no. It does. Tell me." I urged. There was a moment of silence, like she was thinking if she should reply.

"I... I should never have been in the picture. I was stupid. I fell for it. I allowed your words to affect me." She finally muttered. 

"I don't understand what you're saying Young." I was becoming confused. She didn't reply immediately. I waited for her.

"You said you like me but I saw you with your girlfriend hugging and being really close on the streets. Why am I even caring what you do? You probably said it without much thought and I'm stupid for actually believing it. Why would you like me? If you're tired of me then, you'll definitely be tired of me now." Her eyes watered and she wiped the tears that were threatening to fall. Why do I keep making her cry? I should finally tell her the truth. I made her sit on her bed and sat beside her.

"I meant whatever I said. Young, the truth is Hyerin and I are not even together. I lied to you. She never was my girlfriend." I revealed.

"You're lying. There's no way she is not your girlfriend. You don't need to explain anymore. It doesn't matter now." She added.

"It matters. You're upset and it's time I cleared this. Listen to me okay? I'm sorry for what I did in the past. I was an idiot and I felt inferior. I didn't know how to handle my feelings so I just chose the easy way out. I was never tired of you. I only left because you deserved better, I felt I wasn't good enough for you. I thought you would meet someone better than me. I just didn't expect things would turn out like that. " I explained further. I hurt her too much.

"I should be really mad at you but it doesn't matter anymore. Besides, I'm probably difficult to handle.Two failed relationships in such a short period of time. I'm the problem." She said after awhile. Why does she keep blaming herself? We were the ones who hurt her. 

"Young, that's not true... It's not your fault. It never was. Don't blame yourself. I was the cause of everything and I'm really sorry you had to go through everything. I'm so sorry." I said feeling guilty. 

"It's late. I need to sleep. You should leave." She said after awhile.

"Your mom allowed me to sleep in the guest room tonight." I told her.

"Okay goodnight then." She stood up and pulled me up as well, heading towards the door. She didn't seem like she wanted to talk more.

"Wait." I stopped her, pulling her back. 

"I'll wait for you to sleep first. Come on." I said as I pulled her towards her bed.

"There's no need to!" She got angry. 

"Why? So that I won't see you sleep on the floor?" I asked.

"Shut up. Get out!" She used more strength to force me out of her room.

"Does your family know?" I asked.

"None of your business." She snapped.

"Then I'll let your mom know." I said.

"Why can't you just stop bothering me?!" She flared.

"Let me watch you sleep then I'll not tell her." I said. I sound a little creepy but I have my reasons.

"You liar! You're the one exposing all my stuff to my mom!" She cried.

"I promise this time round. I won't tell. Let me stay with you tonight." I wiped her tears. Sorry Young, I could only think of this method to help you. 

"Suit yourself. Do whatever you want." She gave up, turned off the lights, laid on the floor where her pillow was and covered herself with the blanket that was also on the floor. I turned the lights back on.

"What's your problem?!" She was clearly losing her patience.

"This isn't what I meant when I said I'll watch you sleep." I said as I peeled off the blanket from her. She glared at me.

"Go sleep on the bed." I said. She rolled her eyes then snatched the blanket back and covered her entire face.

"I mean it. You don't want your mom to find out right? Or do you want me to carry you up?" I asked as I removed the blanket again.

"What do you want from me?! Leave me alone!" She cried, feeling frustrated. She then pushed me away.

"I just want you to sleep on your bed. That's all." I reasoned.

"I can't okay!?" 

"Why not?" 

"I just can't! Just stop asking!" I really wanted to know why but I could tell from her tone, she really didn't want to bring it up. It must be that bastard. Now is not the time to think about it. I need to settle her first.

"Alright. I will wait until you're ready to tell me. But I still want you to be in bed." I didn't want to push her too much into forcing the truth out of her.

"I'll really carry you up if you don't go up by yourself." I warned her. 

"Put me down!" She pushed my chest as I carried her up.

"You're down. Sleep here." I said as I covered her with her blanket.

"I really can't sleep here. Please... Just leave me be." She pleaded. She sounded really vulnerable and it hurt me.

"Try. You're tired. Close your eyes." She gave me a look. I could tell she was still silently pleading me to stop. I went to off the lights.

"Sleep. I'll be here." I comforted her as I held her hand and sat on the floor, leaning against the side of her bed. I smiled when she didn't pull her hand away from mine. She gave up struggling with me and held my hand tightly. 

There was silence between us. I then started thinking. When did this start? Why the bed? Did something happen on the bed? I got angry at the possibility that that jerk could have done something to her. It must be him right? Why else would she not sleep on the bed? She loves her sleep. I can't ask her this. I don't want to bring him up to trigger anything.

"You really can't tell my family..." She interrupted my thoughts.

"I won't. I promise. How did you manage to keep it from them?" I soothingly rubbed my thumb at the back of her palm.

"I... slept later and woke up earlier." How long has she been doing this? Doesn't her back hurt? 

"You don't have to do this. Go to the guestroom and sleep." She added.

"I know what I'm doing. Don't bother about me." I rest my head on her bed. I want to do this.

We were quiet again. If that bastard really did something to her, I'll make him regret it. I believe Young was nice to him and he still had the nerve to hurt her. Young dislikes skinship now. Something must have happened.

Young then shook my hand lightly to get my attention.

"Did you... really break up with me because you felt inferior?" She uttered softly. Seemed like she was deep in her thoughts as well. 

"Yeah..." I replied.

"I guess I was inconsiderate of your feelings then. I must have behaved like I was above you or something. That really wasn't my intention. I didn't do enough to assure you..." she said.

"Young, enough. I don't mean it like that! It's not your fault! It's my own problem!" . I hurt her even more than I thought. I made her lose her confidence. She now takes the blame for everything. As much as I don't want to fall under the same category as him, we've indeed done way too much damage to her...

"It wasn't about how much you assured me or anything of that sort. You've given me too much. It's me who couldn't give you what you gave me... but  I've woken up and am willing to try now if you would let me..." I confessed after awhile.

"Young?" I looked at her when she didn't reply. I guess she fell asleep... 

"Sweet dreams." I whispered as I pecked the back of her palm. I adjusted myself to make myself more comfortable before falling asleep too.

 

"No no no! Please! Don't touch me!" She shouted and sat up, waking me up too.

"Young?" I called her.

"Sorry, I woke you up." She said when she saw me.

"Nightmare?" I asked as I sat beside her. She was taking deep breaths.

"It's not real. You're safe now. I'm here." I assured her as I her hair gently. 

When I felt that she calmed down, I stood up.

"Where are you going?" She asked, worriedly.

"I thought you wanted me to go home?" I asked.

"Fine. Leave." She grunted.

"I'm just going to get some water." I smiled as I lightly pinched her cheek. I hope these little signs of affection helped lighten her mood.

"Here." I the light and then sat on her bed, handing her the glass of water. She took it and drink it. 

"What happened?" I asked carefully after she seemed calm enough.

"Did he... Touch you inapporpriately?" It wasn't hard to deduce that. Her phobia with her bed, the sudden dislike for skinship, and the things she said in her dream if that is I didn't hear them wrongly. She was fiddling with the ends of her top.

"THAT !" I flared even though she didn't give a definite reply. Knowing Young, she would have denied if it wasn't true.

"I'm so sorry." I apologized as I held her hands. She suddenly hugged me which surprised me. It's been awhile since we were this close.

"I'll make sure he pays." I patted her back, hugging her back.

"I was terrified... I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even scream for help." She buried her face into my shoulders and cried. No wonder she kept it from her parents... How would they feel knowing their precious daughter experienced such trauma?

I didn't say anything but just allowed her to cry as I patted her back, comforting her. I really am useless...

"Sorry." She said as she moved away from me and wiped her tears.

"Sleep." I said as I made her lie down.

"I need to leave soon so you sleep first." I added.

"Don't be stubborn." She was about to sit back up but I held her down.

I turned off the lights and went back to sit beside her. I'm happy that she didn't push me away.

"Daehyun... Thank you." She mumbled sleepily. Anything for you, Young. I promise I'll treat you better, I can't let anything happen to you again...

 

 

The next few weeks, I tried my best to visit Young as much as possible. I want her to be able to sleep on the bed without worrying. Of course, it was difficult being with her every night but when I was available, I would stay with her. Usually it's her mom who opens the door for me. Young didn't ask me to leave anymore. Her dad on the other hand, didn't really like me being with Young especially late into the night but her mom has her ways to convince uncle to let me stay with Young.

"You don't have to keep doing this. I'm fine by myself." Young said. I know she's feeling guilty...

"I came for your mom's food. I'm staying here because there's no transport back." I replied. She gave me a look but said nothing else. I know she still sleeps on the floor on days when I'm not with her and even when I'm with her, she still has nightmares. Sometimes when I arrive a little later, I see her sleeping with her head on the desk. I wish I could do something about it... I know she wants to overcome this too because even though she still has nightmares, she always slept on the bed when I'm around, without resisting me as much as before. I hope that my presence would help her feel safer even if it's just a little.

 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! ^^