Star Empire's CEO reported past abuse of 9muses

K-News

image

ZE:A's leader Lee Hoo (Junyoung) tweeted a huge message waging war against his CEO earlier today, causing fans to question the reasons and meaning behind his message. 

Koreaboo looked into the story more, to find information about the CEO of Star EmpireShin Joohak. While Lee Hoo (Junyoung)’s message is vague, it’s also very clear that the situation is extremely serious and at a breaking point after several years.

Take a look at the report below.

In an old documentary with 9Muses titled, "9 Muses of Star Empire,” the girls are seen going through the journey of debuting as artists. The movie’s synopsis reads: 

"9 Muses of Star Empire", a year-long chronicle that follows a journey of an all girl pop group "9 Muses", portrays the every-day life of nine girls, relentlessly pursuing their dreams in a world of jealousy, betrayal, and scandal. "9 Muses" is an emerging girl group, aspiring to perform on a national stage and gain world-wide fame just like millions of others. For that, the girls have decided to set everything aside and live as one of the Muses for "Star Empire"; the entertainment company which created and coordinated every move. What’s the price they must pay for their dreams?

 

The movie went on to the “2012 International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam.” The movie shows a heart wrenching tale of the girls going through numerous hardships and struggles. 

Upon the movie airing, netizens quickly went to the internet to voice their concerns towards the CEO. In one scene, CEO Shin Joohak is seen slapping Sera. In a translated Netizenbuzz post (05/16/13), it’s clear that fans and viewers were shocked by some of the content. 

1. "Nine Muses CEO is known for hitting them and swearing at them at the smallest of mistakes."

2. “His name’s Shin Joo Hak and he’s a former gang member, yup.”

3. “With the way she closes her eyes right as he raises his hand makes it seem like he hits her often.. ㅠㅠ This is shocking.”

4. "In the Star Empire documentary, it’s not only the CEO.. The other staff members are all intimidating, too."

5. "I think he needs to relearn what it means to be a CEO… Being a CEO doesn’t mean abusing your power like this."

In a Q&A session with the director of the movie,  Lee Hakjoon revealed the reason why 9Muses did not complain or do anything even while enduring such hardships.

Why are all the characters in your movie passive? They just cry without facing their lives proactively. Isn’t it because you chose unattractive characters?

We have to think about the roles of women and teenagers in South Korea. Although South Korea becomes economically prosperous, catching up the western economy, the Asian values seem not changed.  Women still have less power than men and teenagers have less power than adults. It is deeply rooted as custom in my society.

What do you think of the tears of the girls in the movie? They can’t complain the hardships no matter how unreasonable the reality is because they might loose the apprenticeship at the agency. They can’t forgo the opportunities that they got out of endless efforts and hard work. I think the tears of girls is a tool to express them. (bold by Koreaboo)

The section we’ve bolded is synonymous with the statement in the previous E! News interview where the ex-trainee said,

"He went on to explain the reason he didn’t turn down any inappropriate or ual requests were because he was afraid. ‘I have to do what I’m told by my company, and if I don’t they will release me. So all of us had no choice but to do it.’"

When asked about the blatant ual harassment and inhuman treatment, the director revealed the restrictions he and his film crew were also in:

The way the CEO and mangers treated the girls [was] [ual harassment] and inhumane. Why didn’t you protect the girls’ human rights in this situation?

The agency allowed us to film a documentary under two conditions. One is that they want our production staff to work as the girls’ managers while filming and the other is that we don’t speak up against what the agency would [decide] for the girls.

We quietly observed their daily life and waited till they opened up their minds and talked to us. And I think that was the right behavior from my side.

I can understand mangers from another perspective. Before we shoot a documentary, we thought that mangers are inhumane and heartless because they treat the teenage girls as a tool to make money, the common opinion from those who know the entertainment industry.

Yet, the managers happen to have a reason to act inhumane. They need to reap the profit out of the girls and if not, they need to shut down the business because they invested in hundred and thousands of money for the girls. Of course, it is right to criticize their heartless behaviors but the clear distinction between virtue and vice is not what the movie wants to show.

The girls all know the cruel reality of the industry and gave a shot [at] their dreams. 

Check out the video below with the scenes clipped together, in particular the scene where the CEO Shin Joohak hits Sera. 

Check out the full documentary below, here are some key scenes we noted:

11:55 — The members are scolded harshly by their “Head Manager”.

41:00 — Sera: "Because of going through the experience of training and debuting, we lost our humanity."

43:30 — In the ending scene, she opens up her true feelings about her company and sings, “You Raise Me Up,” in tribute of this heart wrenching experience she just underwent. 

On June 23rd, 2014 member Sera also left the group, following the expiration of her contract. Star Empire released the following statement:

Nine Muses’ Sera’s contract has expired so she has decided to graduate from the group. Her future activities have not been discussed in detail, and we will support her new journey.

Nine Muses plans to recruit a new member and with a reorganized team, plan[s] to make a comeback in early August. We also ask that you show your support and love for future activities from Sera as well as Nine Muses.

Source: Koreaboo