37:

Hero

Korean:

Chinese:

English:

New Mentioned Character:

Junsu Chou/Jinki Chou: Junsu's brother in hospital. [just minor characters]


[cont. YOUR POV]

You heard familiar cries in your head making you drop your fork and knife on your plate in hesitant, which got the attention of everyone on the table, you close your eyes at the memory.

[Flashback:]

You see an image of are crying child who looked like you but the eyes were so large and there was tears falling and cascading down the childs cheek.

[End of Flashback]

[END OF YOUR POV]

[DUKE POV]

After a long night last night I roll inside the house as the morning sun was beaming from our long stake out.

[MRS. JUNG]"Duke is that you?"

I turn and look at Dean's mum who looked like she hadn't slepted at all which cause me to worry.

"Is everything ok, where is Dean, is Nana given birth already?"

I see Mrs. Jung's face soften at my worry which took me off guard.

[MRS. JUNG]"Everything is ok Duke, and No Nana hasn't given birth and Dean is taking breakfast to Nana as we speak"

I feel shattered at how quick I faltered and not keeping my head in the game.

[MRS. JUNG]"Duke honey what is it?"

I look at Mrs. Jung and I can see her looking at me deeply.

"Nothing, just tired I am going to go and get some rest"

I walk pass Mrs. Jung with no intention to falter at all as I walked pass I feel something soft touch my arm and I look and I see Mrs. Jung's hand on my arm feeling like I was with my mum, I looked up at the owner of the hand and I see Mrs. Jung looking at me.

[MRS. JUNG]"You have that same look when?"

"When?"

[MRS. JUNG]"You came back..."

The next I was in Mrs. Jung's arms she was hugging me as I remembered my partner I tense as I was in her arms but as Mrs. Jung hugged me deeper I feel myself starting to break down the walls and I don't know what came over me I just let go and I wrapped my arms around Mrs. Jung and lowered my head and leaned into Mrs. Jung.

[MRS. JUNG]"Oh Duke honey, you can't keep going on like this, you can't keep blaming yourself"

I feel Mrs. Jung comforting me which was helping but if only she knew that it was my fault that her and her family could be in danger after what Joe said back at base after calling it a night.

[The Night Before:]

[JOE]"Jensen I want you to run a thermal, on the co-ordinates we are at now"

[JENSEN]"Yes sir, running it now"

[JOE]"Ryan, Cam"

[RYAN+CAM]"Yes sarge"

[JOE]"Duke and I will run first watch, head back to base and get some sleep"

[RYAN+CAM]"Yes sarge"

[JOE]"Jensen"

[JENSEN]"Yes sarge?"

[JOE]"Have you go word from Dennis and Ricky?"

[JENSEN]"Yeah, they are still on the scene"

[JOE]"Ok, keep me posted on anything new"

[JENSEN]"Yes sarge"

I see the familiar lights and truck leave and Ryan making sure it was him he did his little play with the lights which was stupid looked like it's going to be a long night, it was a little awkward sitting in the same ride with Joe and now that it was going to be just the two of us staking it out.

[JOE]"Duke"

"Sarge?"

[JOE]"How long?"

"What?"

[JOE]"How long has it been since?"

"What?"

[JOE]"Since your last mission?"

"6 year's 10 month's"

[JOE]"Yeah I read your file you lost one of your men on a raid"

"I don't want to talk about it sarge"

Sarge stopped talking maybe he got the hint that I didn't want to do this the air seemed thicker since sarge opened his mouth just as the tension was getting more awkward.

[JENSEN]"Sarge"

[JOE]"Yeah what is it Jensen"

[JENSEN]"The hit at Park Corp has made headlines?"

[JOE]"Is there any mention of Reaper?"

[JENSEN]"No sarge, Dennis and Ricky have just walked in"

[JOE]"Ok"

[DENNIS]"Sarge"

[JOE]"Dennis, what intel have you gather?"

[DENNIS]"Sarge it has all our men tagged in, the squad that was field together for the extraction of Mr. Park and his assistant from Park Corp, was done by pro's and from what Ryan and Cam mentioned. The intel from the blast from what Ricky and I got it shows that the blast was a diversion from the extraction at Park Corp. not only was the extraction was in play, also there was a failed break in at the company from what we know there has been nothing taken. The blast has been tagged as a terriorist attack from the north and they are getting all there troops stationed at the border and also Inguk and Jihoon have been stationed to investigate all the claim's so we are lefted with just us sarge"

[RICKY]"Also the guys from the orphanage and there informant in the company have all held back, also we tagged two of Reapers guys we have them at base, also from what we know there is also other targets that we know nothing off"

"What do you mean Ricky?"

[RICKY]"We managed to get something out of them, but from what we know they were keeping tags on a guy name Luhan"

"Who is Luhan?"

[JENSEN]"We have run a check on Luhan, he is nothing but a rich kid here in South Korea, his family owns mutiple production and broadcasting stations here in South Korea"

[JOE]"Why would they tag onto a rich kid?"

[JENSEN]"Don't know sarge, maybe Reaper wants the world to know what he is up to, but Luhan is friends of the Huang family, goes to the same university as Celine Huang and also Min-a Park otherwise known as Min-a Yoon"

[JOE]"Ok, I need someone to talk to this Luhan kid and see what Reaper wants with this kid"

[DENNIS]"Yes sarge"

[JOE]"What else do you know about this kid"

[JENSEN]"Well he is just your normal rich kid who goes to school hangs out with his friends"

[JOE]"It sounds like this could be a ploy"

"Do you think Reaper know's we are here?"

[JOE]"Don't know, Jensen we need to talk to the thugs that you have at base"

[CAM]"Sarge did you need us to take over?"

[JOE]"No it looks like it's going to b quiet here"

We leave the warehouse which was stupid wondering what was going on in sarges head.

[fast track]

At base we walk in and I see the guys.

[JOE]"Jensen make sure you have eyes on the warehouse"

[JENSEN]"Yes sarge"

[JOE]"Did you want to join me whilst in the room with those thugs?"

"Yeah"

We walk into a small room and see Ryan at one door and Ricky at the other.

[RYAN]"Sarge, Duke"

[JOE]"Who"

[RYAN]"He won't say"

[JOE]"Where?"

[RYAN]"This one was at Park Corp, and surprise surprise they both speak English and Korean?"

We go into the first room and we see a guy sitting there looking like he had been beat up which wouldn't be surprising if it was Ryan.

[JOE]"Ok are we going to do this the hard way or the easy way"

[THUG]"I ain't saying "

[JOE]"Who do you work for?"

[THUG]"...."

[JOE]"I know you can understand English, so this would be easy who do you work for"

[THUG]"..."

"Sarge I will handle the thug next door?"

I leave sarge with the thug and I see that Sarge is getting really pisssed feeling sorry for the guy.

[RICKY]"This one was tailing the kid, and was at the orphanage?"

"Ok"

I walk in and the thug in the room looked so different from the idiot next door, he looked more like a kid himself making me re-think my tactic on how I am going to do this.

"Ok why were you tailing Luhan?"

[THUG 2]"....."

"I know you can speak and understand English, so you know what I am saying, I want to know why you were tailing Luhan and staking out at the Seoul Inner-city Orphanage?"

I lean back in my chair it was so obvious that this guy was really breaking seeing that he understood what I was talking about by his mannerisim which I caught moments ago so it was going to be an easy one.

"I have nothing but time so we can sit here all night I don't mind?"

I was  sitting there just waiting for the guy to talk so I can see what to do next, as I was sitting waiting I noticed that he was getting nervous because I think he thought I was going to leave him in here alone with his thoughts instead of me sitting in the same room with him.

"Ok if you won't answer my questions, then answer this one, why?"

I sat there waiting with my blank stare at him if I wasn't mistaken I could see a hint of emotion in his eyes which was obvious that he was going to talk.

[THUG 2]"I needed the money!"

"Why?"

[THUG 2]"My brother is really sick and I need the money to  pay for his care?"

"How bad?"

[THUG 2]"Bad"

After that little ice breaker this guys wall broke down he was now sitting in front of me crying which I had to act like it didn't phase me when it did touch a nerve my intuition was right he was not a thug like the one with Joe he was just a guy he needed a way out and in this case his job now was paying for the health of his brother.

"What's your name?"

[THUG 2]"Junsu Chou"

"Ok Junsu I need to know who you are working for?"

[JUNSU]"I don't know who?"

"Why is it you can speak English Fluently?"

[JUNSU]Because my dad is American born Chinese?"

"Where is your father?"

[JUNSU]"Dead"

"Mum?"

[JUNSU]"Dead"

"How old are you?"

[JUNSU]"19"

"How?"

[JUNSU]"I was looking for a job to pay for my brother's hospital bill?"

"And"

[JUNSU]"This man came and asked me if I could drive, and I said yes and all he showed me to a car, and said that it was my car"

"What else?"

[JUNSU]"He said it was mine he gave me some money which I used for my brother's hospital bill?"

"Did he give you are name?"

[JUNSU]"No, and then he gave me an address and faces of people"

"Is it these people"

[JUNSU]"Yes"

"Did he say why?"

[JUNSU]"No all he said was that I had to keep an eye on them like the others?"

"Others?"

[JUNSU]"There was alot of us that were split"

"Do you know what your boss looks like?"

[JUNSU]"No, what about my brother I need to see him, what if they have my brother?"

"Don't worry about your brother, he will be fine?"

[JUNSU]"How do you know?"

"Which hospital is he in now?"

[JUNSU]"Seoul Public Hospital"

[RICKY]"Duke, sarge wants you?"

"Ok"

I get up and walk out of the room hearing Junsu.

[JUNSU]"What about my brother....."

I turned and faced him.

"What is your brother's name?"

[JUNSU]"Jinki"

I walked out of the room.

[JOE]"Did you get anything?"

"Yeah he dosen't know who he is working for, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time?"

[JOE]"What?"

"He only did it for money to pay for his brother's hospital bills"

[JOE]"Ok"

I look at my watch and it is hitting morning.

[JENSEN]"Sarge I have found something?"

[JOE]"What is it?"

[JENSEN]"The black box from the guy's cars"

[JOE]"Ok let's see what is on it"

After few tapping of keys coming from Jensen on the screen in front of us shows guys in suits which didn't cause our attention until.

"Hey Jensen go back and slow it down"

After spotting out something and then I see it and that's when I see a familiar shiloutte pass the corner of my eye which caught my attention.

[JOE]"What is it Duke?"

"That's Ghost"

[JOE]"What how can you tell"

I went next to Jensen and I started pulling up pictures of the guy I killed and pulled up an image of Casper as I remember and then I pull up the image from the black box and I sharpened the image and put it together and I knew that it was right.

[JOE]"How certain"

"Because the guy I killed had a younger brother who is spitting image of Casper and also if I zoom in you should be able to see the mark?"

[JOE]"Mark?"

I screen out the mark from Casper's neck which was some sort of family birth genetic.

"If you look at the image on the right which is Casper if you look at his lower neck you should see a birth defect"

[ALL]"Yeah"

"And if you look at the image on the right which came from the black box if you look at the same place"

[ALL]"Yeah"

[RYAN]"It's the same mark but what has that got to prove that your theory is correct"

"After my mission I looked into it and from the defect it is passed down through family generations so it is pretty much a genetic defect that is passed through but only to the males if you look at the family especially with all the males it is evident that it is are family legacy that they have and after the death of his brother he went underground and there was no word of him at all no paper trail on him since the death of his brother now that we have him if we can get to him we will get closer to Reaper?"

"What is with there names?"

We watched the rest of the black box and I looked down at my watch [06:00] man it's been a long day but I was full of energy because finally after all these years finally getting closer to Ghost.

[JENSEN]"Now I know why C.O was pissed when you decided to retire as an operative years ago"

"What?"

I looked at my phone and I saw that I had missed messages from Jen, Sean, Dean, Mrs. Jung and still listening to Jensen taking my focus off the screen.

[JENSEN]"Our C.O talked about how you are 20 year old was one of the smartest brains with the muscle in the business being one of the top operatives in the league and seeing how you are right now, dang I can understand why it was a loss"

I was reading the messages.

[JOE]"Duke, what is the number of the place your staying at?"

I told him Dean's address whilst replying back to Jen and Sean.

"Why?"

[JOE]"Duke I need you to get back to your friends?"

"Why has something happened?"

[JOE]"Jensen go back"

I sat up and looked at what I missed whilst answering my messages as I watched that's when I spot it an image of Dean and a heavily pregnant Nana walking out of the cafe the frame from the day before yesterday when Dean and Nana went out for a date whilst Dean was off.

"Which car did this come from?"

[JENSEN]"The car on the right?"

"Who?"

It was silent the tension was getting thicker with each breath in the room.

"Ricky, which?"

[RICKY]"Room number one"

I didn't let him finish I went towards the room and I opened the door I was full of anger.

[THUG 1]"What is it now, can a guy get some sleep"

I ignored him I lefted him up by his collar even though he looked bigger then me I heaved him up and I threw him at the wall and I watched as he fell to a heap but I couldn't care less I went back to him and I heaved him up at the wall choking him.

"Where is he?"

[THUG 1]"Who"

"Ghost"

He spit blood at me but I wiped it away not caring I was just so angry that they are now watching Dean and his family.

"Fcuk you where is he"

[THUG 1]"I ain't saying "

I dropped him on the ground and I kepted on punching him.

[JENSEN]"Stop him"

[CAM]"Nah it's kind of cool seeing him like that"

[JENSEN]"Sarge"

[JOE]"Guys go and stop him"

I kepted on going knocking him out taking out my anger and then I get bold over by the rest of the guys pushing me away from the beaten thug I see Jensen run over to the thug.

[JENSEN]"He is barely holding it"

[JOE]"Cuff him, take him out of here"

[RICKY]"Remind me not to piss you off"

I push the guys off me and I walk to the bathroom pissed off with myself that I used my fists and anger at the same time, after all those years of learning to contain myself it all blows up in a couple seconds I look at myself in the mirror no signs of me being in a brawl but I look down and I see blood on my shirt, and on my hands all scared and bloody.

[RYAN]"Bro, are you ok?"

I look behind me and I see Ryan standing there as I faced the mirror not seeing anything out of the ordinary but the thugs blood on me I was washing it off.

[RYAN]"Bro?"

I just ignored him and continued washing myself off as Ryan threw a shirt to me.

[RYAN]"Here change, sarge wants you to go back to your friends"

I shrugged out of my bloody shirt and changed into the black tee from Ryan.

[RYAN]"Bro I know that you don't like to talk, but bro that was not like you?"

"Just leave it"

I grabbed my stuff and walked to the car and I was off to Dean's I couldn't help but contemplate everything in my head I parked up on the side with everything going on in my head I needed to stop or else I was going to do something that can hurt innocent people around me I park up on the side and I look out at the scenery which looked so calming why was everything around me falling to peices. After awhile I remember the Junsu kid and I zoomed off towards the hospital as I walked in I notice a few stares from the female nurses which I wasn't in the mood for at the moment.

"Excuse me is there are Jinki Chou admitted here?"

And one of the female nurses who seemed to understand me looked at me.

[NURSE]"Yes, but who are you?"

"I am a friend of his brother Junsu Chou, he is busy that he couldn't come in and he wanted me to check on him and see if he was ok?"

[NURSE]"Oh that lovely kid who comes to see him everyday?"

"...."

After few moments I was showed the way to his room and as each stepped was starting to become heavier finally I see his name and I walked in and that's when everything changed. There laying on the bed I was expecting a little kid of some sort but when I walked in I see a spitting image of the kid that I was interogating moments ago laying there plugged in to all sorts of machines.

"What happened to him?"

[NURSE]"The poor kid is sickly kid, he has Heart Tumour which is genetic"

I looked at the nurse and I just stand there.

"What is his treatment plan?"

[NURSE]"I am sorry but I can't say it's paitent con...:

"I understand, can I talk to his doctor?"

[NURSE]"I will get his doctor?"

Before dwelling on my thoughts the nurse comes back in with the doctor and from the looks of it and after introducing each other finally finding out more about Junki and with them not going furthur on treatment because of money which was so stupid and wrong of them to do this to a kid stalling his treatment because of funds.

"What kind of tumor has Junki got?"

[DOCTOR]"We a running more tests to determined with the tumor can be surgically removed, or if it is cancerous ther we can only treat it with radiation or chemotherapy"

"Ok, here is my card, call me when you have the results of the tests?"

[DOCTOR]"I am sorry but only my paitent's family have the right for what your asking, Mr. Duke?"

"[Laughing] that's funny considering you are stalling his treatment because of money, I apologise for my behaviour?"

[DOCTOR]"No that's ok?"

"No that's dosen't excuse my choice of words"

I give him my card and I look back at the kid and questions going on in my head of the two twin's being orphaned and having no family to look after them, it reminded me of Dean and his family how they pratically cared for me and I had my parent's there but not them.

"If your so worried I will arrange it with Junsu"

[DOCTOR]"There is no need"

I lefted the hospital seeing that I managed to work around the doctors as I walked towards the exit and as I stood out to the cool chill of the morning and the beginning of what looked like is going to be a good day.

--------

[Back at the house]

[MRS JUNG]"Oh Duke Honey.... you can't keep going on like this, you can't keep blaming yourself for whatever it is your going through, Duke you know we see you as our son so please don't keep things from us, and especially with the way you have been lately please don't make us worry about your health and well being as well. You know what we are capable of doing in making sure that we are apart of everything in your life and you know that esecially with my husband"

I watch as Mrs Jung comforts me like are mother would do as I just take it all in.

[End of DUKE'S POV]

[KRIS POV]

After the commotion from Baekhyun coming over this morning with his evident worry of Chanyeol which was understandable for all of us and seeing the torment in my dongsaeng's face was so evident. But what surprised me was the cries coming from Maesuk.

[MAESUK]"Umma!!!"

Which caught my attention and that's when I see Min-a faint into a heap at the table and just as I was about to stop her fall she hit's her side hard from the corner of the table. I reached for her to stop her fall.

[MAESUK+YOONHO]"Umma!!!"

[BAEKHYUN]"Hyung!!!"

[END OF KRIS'S POV]


SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE, AND ALSO APOLOGIES IF THIS IS A BORING CHAPTER [shrugging my shoulders with uncertainty]....

THIS CHAPTER WAS MORE ABOUT DUKE AND THE DAY/NIGHT HE HAD DURING THE BLAST AND HOPEFULLY SEEING A MORE GENTLE SIDE OF DUKE'S CHARACTER.

[Characters:- 16112 Words:-3777]

Read:- 12th October 2015

Edited/Re-read/Font-Change:- 4th October 2016