☁ Stagnant

Sehun's Review and Recommendation Café [Closed]
Review for bubblegravity0506// Reviewed by: Fantascape

 

Title and Story link:  

Stagnant (Completed, one-shot)

 

 

Title: (17/20)

If you've read some of my previous reviews, you'll find that I'm not usually a fan of one-word titles. However, there are exceptions. I think that if a writer finds a way to execute it well, they can pull off single-syllable titles quite easily. Yours is a good instance- and beware, you'll definitely see me mention how often your fic has fallen in the 'exceptions' category. Anywho, I got absolutely nothing from the title when I first read it. At first glance, all I had to go by was a dictionary definition of stagnant, which basically implies that something is standing still. I hadn't a clue what I should do with that...until I read your story. The title honestly fit very well with the theme of the fic! The overall plot revolves around the jolted stillness of BaekYeol's relationship. Like a heart monitor, it went on strong with its ups and downs until finally it gave out. I saw why you chose the title, as its obviously what makes up the fic itself. I truly do like that you kept it as simple as that. You didn't tack anything else onto it or lengthen it. Though nothing's wrong with doing so, I think keeping the title as mysterious and somber as it is was probably the best decision. Much like the fic itself, it holds a 'hazy' effect. It's there but it demands the reader look deeper and think beyond the actual wording. It's underestimatingly simple, but also pretty ingenious. Does it mean that it won't get confused with any other fic out there? By all means, no... The title itself has no unique quality... But it's easy to remember and the way/reason it was used won me over.

 

Overall Appearance: (5/5) 

I refuse to deduct points for not having a poster, so your score won't be affected by that. Your fic seems to have a very simple layout. There's no fancy font or imagery. No dividers or symbols. It's only the fic itself. And while I love the effort that most writers go to make their fic 'pretty' and decked out in artistic appeal, I also have a love for the simplicity of fics. In this way, there's nothing to divert my attention from anything other than the actual writing. There's no distracting from your words, and I can't help but admire that. I honestly want to recommend changing the font to a serif, to add to its delicate essence... But then again, your fic seems to exude simplicity- so a sans-serif fontface probably is the best choice. 

I also want to take a moment to talk about the skeletal layout of  your chapter. It's presented much like a poem, with broken paragraphs and measured line sequences. However, unlike most poems it doesn't have a set number of lines per each paragraph or a certain length that it follows. Regardless, it's unique and I can honestly say that I've never seen it attempted so far. But the most astounding part of your fic was the way you began each line with a certain letter. You dedicated the paragraphs to proceed in alphabetical order, and I'll admit... I had so much fun reading it to see what you'd do with letters like 'q' or 'x'. Of course, I wasn't at all disappointed. It's an ingenious set-up that I think so many writers could learn from... Writing doesn't have to be black-and-white. There doesn't have to be a set structure. You're one of the first individuals who's presented a fic that goes beyond the 'fanfic status quo'. I have nothing to say against the layout since it seems you played it pretty safe. It's simple and almost a bit plain, but it fits incredibly well with the story's aura.

 

Description and Foreword: (19/20)

For starters, I must say that your writing is beautiful... You're most likely to hear that quite often throughout this review, so prepare yourself! But really, I found the Description to be elegantly-written and utterly transfixing. It was cryptic in a way- bearing forth just a hint of the angst that actually resides in the fic. All the while, it doesn't reveal far too much. I will say though, that at first I was confused upon who was the speaker. The first line made it seem like this was coming from either Chanyeol or Baekhyun, but the lines that followed appeared more general (as if it were narrated from a third viewpoint). Regardless, that's probably just a sign of my inability to interpret properly. I'd correct that, but I'm not quite sure how you could best go about it. Perhaps alter the pronouns... You've used 'him', 'we', and 'one' all in this single section, and it could bring a bit of POV confusion. I'm sure most writers aren't as picky about this as I am, but if you're going to use 'we', stick with that inclusive tone. Using 'one' sounds much more exclusive and alludes to a third party that's peering in from the outside.

There wasn't much to really comment on about your Foreword. It was an introduction to the story and a brief explanation. You've used your Description well though, so I can't really point out a lack for much, if anything.

 

Plot: (20/30)

As your designated reviewer, I want to be honest with you... I want to be completely and irrefutably honest with you! I didn't really grasp the plot... See, I understood just enough of it to make sense of a rather vague gist... It was written in a level of complexity that weaved far beyond my head, and I wasn't really prepared for that. I read it again... and again, because I honestly like dissecting the pieces that I'm recommended. I don't just look at a story, I want to truly feel it. I felt that this story was angst-ridden, yes... But there was no true grasp of time here. From what I gathered, Baek and Yeol had fallen for one another. They were enraptured in the throes of young love strongly enough that when things began to fall, they crashed. It steers into the depths of a typical break up through the eyes of no one in particular.

I've seen many stories similar to this, in which it opens up to the tempest of dark emotions after a beautiful love had been lost. It's an angsty, but very common idea... But what made yours so gutsy is what I'll mention in the 'Originality' section below. Here, I just wanted to point out that perhaps the depth you put into it may have lost me somewhere. I'm fairly sure I understand it better after having read it four times, than I did after the first. I do truly want to apologize to you though, for not having much to say about the plot. This doesn't mean the plot was ineffective or inefficient. If anything, any plot has room for correction. I just couldn't truly grasp the way this story reeled. But I'd like to personally pin that on my lack of intelligence- my inability, as an artist, to truly take vision.

 

Originality: (20/20)

You get a damn full score for originality. I think it's obvious by now what aspect I found to be the most awe-inspiring... Your set-up was so beautifully-done and incredibly ingenious. I honestly can't imagine how long it must have taken you to adhere to the alphabetical pattern of each line-starter. All the while, you even managed to somewhat uphold a story amidst it. It was brilliant, and the moment I caught on, I was terribly impressed. I'm in love with authors like you- those that dare to extend into the uncharted realms of creativity. It's a unique take on story-telling that I think should be more commonly-used (if we were able to handle it). Again, I'm still unable to place a chronological stamp on anything in this 'fic', but the sheer quality of the writing itself is enough to slightly outweigh that. After all, anyone can write a post-break up fic... Almost everyone has, as it's basically one of a writer's rites of passage. But I found that Tracing Steps actually has the ability to bear a remembrance with me.

 

Language: (19/20)

The language was written simply, absent of the overuse of 'too-elevated vocabulary' or the existence of it in the first place. I'm still dumbfounded at how it managed to confuse me, but in the end it did. The words themselves were simple, but they were strung up like beads on an intricate neckless. The allusions and syntax wildly evasive, and the story had this ominous, airlike quality to it. What I liked in the language was how it refrained from the unnecessary, while still managing to grasp the reader. Really though, it's so silken and alluring. I can't even pinpoint many particular favorites, but I'll list a few lines that stood out to me:

"Abandoning unfinished homework left the night before, applausing himself for even doing half of it."- This was so hilarious and lovely all at once. I found it to be terribly relatable, because when happens, sometimes things like school just have to go on 'pause'... I'd probably change 'applausing' to its proper verb form, 'applauding'. 

"Gamble the time they spent together, genuine feelings always visible, gestures that meant the world to both of them."- Though I can't accurately explain what this section entells, it still was sculpted like marble.

"You ponder on things that would answer all the what ifs I had."- If this doesn't properly portray the fact that these two complete each other, then nothing else will. It truly is like that though, isn't it? Finding your other half...

 

Writing Style: (20/20)

I almost feel as if I've inadvertently spoken quite a bit about the writing style for quite some time now... To summarize, it's beautiful and smooth... It vague and wispy like a fog, but I'm drawn to it regardless... Or rather, am I drawn to it specifically because of that? It was unique in the poetic organization of its skeleton, while portraying your story as you intended. It upholds the angst, drawing out the feelings with every staggering memory or urged piece of advice. 

 

Characterization: (15/30)

I can't give you much for characterization, only because of the writing. Of course, the focus flipped back and forth between two characters- Baekhyun and Chanyeol- however, I couldn't seem to fully make out Chanyeol's 'voice' from Baekhyun's. Perhaps it was because this is an angst fic, in which both characters feel similarly. After all, the same mistake was made revolving around the same event (the break up). I shouldn't be so surprised that the two would feel so alike, but I sort of wish they didn't... I'm glad there was a struggle, but did they both have to struggle at once? Perhaps one of them could have at least tried to delude himself into a happiness after the other, only to slowly come into terms with the impossibility of that. Allow both Baek and Yeol to take this differently, to handle this without the calm synchronicity that they both have here. You don't elaborate on many other characters, so the focus on these two makes it more crucial to differentiate them.

 

Flow: (30/30)

Needless to say, the lines of your fic flowed into each other like tributaries into a river. They clung to each other and this was only emphasized by the organization of their lettering. It was brilliant how you incorporated the story into such a strict set-up, while still managing to abstain from sounding jarred and 'intentional'. It ran smoothly and progressed in terms of quality rather than the story, itself. 

 

Reader's Scope/ Overall Enjoyment: (5/5) 

I enjoyed this fic entirely... Despite the fact that it required quite a bit of re-reading, that definitlely doesn't take away from the quality overall. It was mystifying and engaging and relatable... It was softened and all at once so jagged (as most incite into post-break ups are). It's definitely a fic I'd recommend to others.

 

Bonus: (+5) 

I'm giving you the maximum amount- a full 5 point bonus- for puting up with me. I know you've waited MONTHS, and for that I'm truly ashamed. School and my job has been terribly hectic, and I haven't been of my best mind lately... Regardless, it'd be unfair for me not to offer my sincerest apologies!

 

Final Score/ Total (175/200) = 87.5%

 

 

A/N:

I look forward to reading more stories of yours in my spare time (what little I have left these days). You seem like the sort of writer with that exquisite quality called 'creativity', and you don't see that often enough anymore...

 

**

Credit: Please credit this shop in your description/foreword and leave a comment after viewing this review! Thank you for requesting and Upvoting will be highly appreciated!

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thank you for requesting from
 
Sehun's Review & Recommendation Café!