Chp 93

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

Minhyun stored his luggage cases in the storage closet in the living room like I had for the first three months, and like Leeteuk wanted, I slept on the couch that night while Minhyun slept on the floor beside me on top of the extra blankets that I had been using until then.

We didn't say anything to each other; it seemed that Minhyun was hesitant to talk to me because of the honorifics issue. I guessed that he would rather not say anything to me at all than to speak to me in honorifics, and to be fair, I would have reacted the exact same way. Either way, luckily for me, Minhyun didn't complain about sleeping on the floor while I slept on the couch, and I went to sleep with a smile on my face with satisfaction that I was finally paying Minhyun back for what he was doing to his juniors.

 

 

The next morning, I opened my eyes when Ryeowook walked into the kitchen to make breakfast. I stuffed the blanket that I had used that day in the closet and wandered into the kitchen groggily and hugged him from behind.

"Kim Ryeowook," I whispered in his ear, squeezing him tightly.

"Are you drunk?" asked Ryeowook, turning his head around to face me.

"No, I just haven't felt this happy in a long time," I said with a wide smile, squeezing him tighter. Ryeowook rolled his eyes.

"You should let go if you want to eat breakfast today," said Ryeowook, tapping my arm. I let go and sat down at the kitchen table, watching Ryeowook with a smile. Ryeowook glanced at me once in a while.

"You're making me nervous," said Ryeowook, with an annoyed frown. "Stop watching."

"I won't judge you. I'm a disaster in the kitchen," I said with a smile.

"Since when have you ever been this happy?" asked Ryeowook, shaking his head.

"I'll be honest," I whispered, stealing a glance at the living room to make sure that Minhyun was still asleep. "I'm kind of glad Minhyun hyung is here as my hoobae." I gave him a smile.

"You're - " said Ryeowook, then he shook his head and continued making breakfast. When he finished, I helped Ryeowook wake everyone up for the first time. After waking Donghae and Sungmin up, I went into the room that Kangin, Eunhyuk and Siwon shared. Eunhyuk and Siwon woke up without much fuss, but I hesitated before waking Kangin. However, I raked up my courage and tapped Kangin on the back.

"Hyung, hyung, breakfast is ready," I said. Kangin started and turned his back on me. I hesitated again and then started shaking him awake. "Hyung!"

"You're annoying," he muttered.

"How does Ryeowook wake you up every morning?" I asked, shaking my head. Kangin buried his head into his pillow for a second, then he understood what I had said. He finally opened his eyes and looked at me with a frown, as if he had just realized that I wasn't Ryeowook. Then seeing me, he smiled.

"Hey, it's our Kyuhyun!" he said, then he reached over and ruffled my hair. I smiled back happily - who knew Spam and a vacuum cleaner would be be what Kangin wanted to warm up to me, and who knew that the Kangin that was so scary would show this much affection, basically overnight?

"Hyung, get up," I said with a wide smile, rearranging my hair again.

Kangin sat up and stretched his arms, then when he saw me still watching him, he smacked the seat of my pants. When I reacted with a yelp, he laughed.

"Okay, get out. I'll be in the living room in a second," said Kangin with another smile. I gave him a small bow and walked out of his room, feeling happier than I'd ever been since I'd joined the team.

 

 

I went into the living room just in time to see Ryeowook waking Minhyun up. I saw Minhyun looking confused, then rub his shoulder as if it were in pain and I suppressed another smile; I knew how painful the first night sleeping on the floor was. Then I saw Leeteuk walking into the living room, rubbing his eyes. I bowed to him as well with a careful "Good morning, sunbaenim", then he gave me a brief pat on the arm and a small smile.

He then went out into the living room and saw Minhyun still on the floor between his blankets, then his expression stiffened. I saw Minhyun notice Leeteuk and stand up tiredly and bow.

Then I heard Leeteuk say the exact same thing that he had said to me on my first morning at the dorm.

"Why are you sleeping in when a sunbae is cooking breakfast?" he asked with a frown. I felt a chill, remembering how difficult this question had been to answer when I was the one to be asked this question.

Minhyun didn't say anything and looked at his feet while Leeteuk gave him another glare, much to my satisfaction.

Remember that you'd done the same to your juniors, Minhyun hyung. Maybe you will at last understand how hard it had been for me, for Jonghyun - for everyone that had ever had the misfortune of knowing you.

"I think you're forgetting your place just because your older, but you can't be clueless enough think that age trumps seniority and try to get out of chores that way."

I saw Minhyun bite his lip, but then he nodded. "Yes, sunbaenim," he mumbled.

"Starting tomorrow, you'll be the one to make breakfast. Apologize to Ryeowook now," said Leeteuk, then he turned a cold shoulder on Minhyun, who bowed.

I almost felt uncomfortable, then I shook my head. What was I thinking? This was the guy that beat me just because Jonghyun was late to practice one day, he was the one to terrorize so many young juniors. What had gone around had just come around to him. Why should I feel sorry for him?

I saw Minhyun steal a glance at me, and I gave him a blithe smile and turned my back on him.

 

 

In some ways, Minhyun had things harder than I did when I had first joined the group. I at least had a bedroom that I could go to at the beginning to avoid the bullying, and the worst that Donghae and Sungmin had ever done was ignore me during the difficult times. I also had school, so I always had a place to go if I needed to get away from the team for a while, but Minhyun didn't have that either.

He also had a lot more pride issues than I had; I had spent all of my trainee years being bullied and had gotten used to the idea. I'm sure Minhyun had to go through something similar when he first started out as a trainee, but he had also spent a much, much longer time being on the receiving end of the utmost respect from all of the trainees. I was also the youngest in the group, so I didn't have a problem speaking to each member in honorifics, bowing and showing other gestures of respect, but in Minhyun's case, half of the members were younger than him. Even if I were in his situation, I probably would have found things awkward.

In any case, Minhyun took over all of Ryeowook and my chores around the dorm and the office. For the first time, I took breaks when the team was taking breaks instead of doing errands, and after practice, I went to the shower room with the team to wait for the bus instead of sweeping the floors of the practice rooms.

When the bus was finally here to pick us up, Leeteuk looked at me. "Kyuhyun, will you bring Minhyun downstairs?"

"Sure," I said, getting up from the couch in the lounge.

And for the first time since I joined the team, after asking me to do something, he said, "Thanks."

Surprised, I looked at Leeteuk. "You're welcome," I said with a smile, then I rushed upstairs.

I poked my head into the practice room that we were in, but much like the time when I was asked to clean the practice room for the first time, Minhyun hadn't swept the room. There was still dust and dirt everywhere. However, I didn't comment and just looked at him.

"Hyung, the bus is here," I said.

Minhyun didn't look at me and stood up with his bag, and before he could get a chance to speak to me, I ran downstairs again for the bus. When I returned to the lobby, Leeteuk looked at me.

"Did he do it?" he muttered.

I shook my head.

"I didn't think he would," said Leeteuk. He then looked at me again.

"Hey, Kyuhyun, bring a broom from a practice room."

I goggled at him. "You want me to steal a broom for our dorm?" I asked.

"It's your fault, you're the one that bought the vacuum," retorted Leeteuk. "We'll put it back when we buy a new one for the dorm. Or, when you buy a new one." Leeteuk then pushed me lightly by the shoulder just as Minhyun entered the lobby. "Go get the broom."

I hesitated for a second, but then went into the nearest practice room, grabbed a broom, and hiding it as well as possible, ran to the bus with it behind my back.

 

*Author's note: Alternate scene here