Chp 67

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

From the time that I got into the manager hyung's van, I couldn't stop thinking about what I needed to do for school. Just yesterday, I would have tried to get as much sleep during transportation or small breaks as I possibly could, but I couldn't do that anymore. I had a textbook in my hand all the time now, and I read it whenever there was free time during the day instead of taking brief naps or relaxing.

I got on the bus at the end of the workday and opened my history textbook again when Ryeowook came towards me and sat in the seat next to mine. I gave him a brief look up and a smile, but I looked back at my textbook right away.

"Do you have a test or something?" asked Ryeowook.

I nodded. "Finals in three weeks. I need to rank the in top 20," I said unconfidently.

Ryeowook shrugged and nodded. "Well, but top 20 in your class sounds reasonable."

I laughed. "They don't rank by class at my school, Ryeowook. It's top 20 in the graduating class."

Ryeowook's eyes widened. "What? That's so hard! How are you supposed to do it?"

I sighed. "I don't know. All I can do is study as much as I can during all the time that I can possibly get."

Ryeowook looked at me sympathetically for a second, then a sudden smile formed on his face. "I have an idea. I'll do all of your chores until your final exams. That way, you can have extra time to study."

I finally took my eyes off my textbook and looked up at him. "Really?" I asked tiredly. Ryeowook nodded, and I smiled. "Thanks. I'll do your chores for three weeks following my exam."

"Okay, that's fair," said Ryeowook, looking proud of himself. I smiled appreciatively.

"Ryeowook, I've said this before, but you really are the best."

"Don't forget that," said Ryeowook jokingly with his hand on my shoulder, then he moved to a different seat to let me focus on my textbook.

 

 

That night, the entire team returned to the dorm early, at around 10pm, and had a late dinner together. Although I was aware of the pointed disapproving looks from the hyungs, I ignored them and I continued reading my textbook under the table the entire time I was eating. Although the dishes were always my job, Ryeowook started cleaning off the table as we finished eating, and I finally pulled my book up from under the table and put it on top of the table to begin studying seriously when Leeteuk spoke with the tiniest frown.

"Kyuhyun, aren't you doing the dishes?" he asked. I looked up at him.

"Ryeowook offered to do my chores for a few weeks," I said without thinking much.

Leeteuk didn't say anything and nodded, but Heechul picked it up.

"That's not right. You still have responsibilities as the maknae."

I looked at Heechul to explain. "Ryeowook and I worked it out. It's just until my final exams in three weeks. the teacher isn't pleased with me and he said I have to rank - " However, Heechul clearly wasn't interested.

"That doesn't excuse you from your chores. I don't care if you have exams. You should still do your job around the dorm."

"But - " I started, but Heechul cut me off again.

"Stop talking back if you know what's good for you."

I froze for a second, then spoke again. "Sunbaenim, please, please give me just three weeks free from my chores. Just until my final exams are over."

"If you're going to live in the dorm, you have to accept your responsibilities," said Heechul sternly.

"But it's just for three weeks, sunbaenim. Then for the following three weeks, I'll do all of the chores around the dorm and the office. Including everything that Ryeowook usually does. Either way, the chores will get done, sunbaenim," I pleaded.

Heechul glared at me without saying anything for several seconds, then opened his mouth. "No. Do what you're assigned. I don't care."

"Please!" I cried in desperation. "Why won't you let me? Please!"

"Lower your voice right now, Cho Kyuhyun."

I closed my eyes, frustrated, and turned my head away from the scene.

"Cho Kyuhyun!"

I opened my eyes, took a deep breath and looked at Heechul, biting my tongue to keep myself from talking back more than I already had.

"Once we start making exceptions, the order's going to start falling," said Heechul.

"Sunbaenim, it won't. I really - "

"It's already starting to fall. You're always talking back and yelling at me."

I wet my dry lips. "I'm so sorry, sunbaenim. I won't, ever again. Please."

"Be quiet and start doing the dishes right now if you don't want to be beaten," said Heechul. Then he turned his head towards the kitchen. "Kim Ryeowook! Stop doing the dishes and come here," shouted Heechul. Soon, a flustered Ryeowook walked out of the kitchen. I bit my lip, and without bowing, I got up with a sigh and slammed my textbook down on the table. I then grabbed the empty dishes from the table and dropped everything in the sink loudly.

"Cho Kyuhyun! Watch that attitude," shouted Heechul from the living room. I exhaled deeply, looking up at the ceiling. I didn't answer and started the dishes when Heechul yelled, "Cho Kyuhyun, are you ignoring me?"

I clenched my fists in anger, then took a deep breath and said, "No, sunbaenim," loudly enough to be heard with my gaze fixed on the dishes.

Soon, Heechul went into his room, and Ryeowook came back into the kitchen.

"Go and study. I'll do this," he said, taking the sponge from my hand.

"Ryeowook, I really don't know what I'd do without you," I said, rinsing the soap suds away from my hand. "Thank you so, so much."

"It's okay. But you'd better make the rankings," he said with a smile.

"Okay. I promise I will," I said, and after giving him an appreciative squeeze of the shoulders, I walked out of the kitchen.

I was in the hallway and had almost reached my room when a door opened in the hall. I turned my head involuntarily to take a quick look, and to my dismay, I saw Heechul standing at the doorway of his room.

"Cho Kyuhyun," he said with a frown. I looked up at him, my heart beating at least twice as fast as it should. "Why aren't you listening to me? My words don't seem like words to you?"

I bit my lips, then looked away from him. "They do. I'm sorry."

"That's right," said Heechul. He turned to go back into his room, and I put my hands on my hips and turned my head and exhaled a long breath with anger at the situation. Heechul turned and rounded on me so fast that I flinched.

"Did you just sigh at me?" shouted Heechul, clearly furious. I turned my head and faced him again without saying anything; I just bit my lip and kept forcing myself to take deep breaths. "You're lucky I'm not taking this further," said Heechul, glaring at me. "Go and finish the dishes right now." Suppressing the words that was on the verge of escaping me, I gave a half-hearted bow from my neck and without looking at him after I straightened up again, turned back into the kitchen to do the dishes. I sidled up beside Ryeowook and picked up a bowl from the sink.

"Kyuhyun, I said you could go and study," said Ryeowook, glancing at me.

"I got caught," I said with a sigh. "Give me the sponge."

"No, go back to your room," said Ryeowook.

I shook my head. "If I get caught again, I won't be able to avoid a beating. Let me just do it."

"Then let's do it together," said Ryeowook with a smile. I smiled back in appreciation and we started doing the dishes together when Heechul yelled from his room.

"Kim Ryeowook! If I go out there and see your hands wet, I'm going to beat both of you!" shouted Heechul. Ryeowook hastily drew his hands out of the sink in surprise, and I hit the surface of the water filling sink with the palm of my hand in anger, sending soap bubbles flying everywhere.

"Damn it," I muttered. I finally regained a constant breath and started washing the dishes again while Ryeowook just stood next to me, unsure of what to do.

"Kyuhyun - " said Ryeowook. I looked at him for a brief second and realized that there were tears in his eyes.

"God, Ryeowook. Stop it. It's not a big deal," I said, turning my attention to the dishes again.

"I'm so sorry I can't help you more," said Ryeowook, looking truly apologetic.

"No, I still appreciate it," I said with a forced smile. "Go to your room and rest."

"But doing dishes after dinner for 13 people isn't exactly a ten-minute job," said Ryeowook, looking worried.

"So stop distracting me and go watch your dramas," I said. Ryeowook stepped away from the sink, but he didn't leave the kitchen. I finished the dishes on my own about an hour later, and Ryeowook stayed by my side until the every end. When I finally turned off the tap and dried my hands on the dry rag sitting on the counter, Ryeowook sighed with relief before I did. It was midnight, and Ryeowook dragged himself into his room as I finally started studying on the kitchen table.

 

 

*Author's Note: Happy birthday to our beloved leader, Specialteuk! <3