Chp 142

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

"So how many more days until you go home?" I asked. She looked up at me and smiled.

"The nurse unnie said just one more sleep," she said, her eyes sparkling.

I smiled back bitterly, playing with a few strands of her hair, as the nurse poked her head inside again. I quickly sat up as did the little girl, then she looked up at me and smiled.

"Okay, oppa, I have to go."

"Have a good day," I said, giving her a longer, more heartfelt hug than before. She hugged back, and then she smiled up at me. "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah," I managed. "See you - tomorrow."

She waved happily and ran to the nurse to hold her hand.

Then watching her small figure get out of my vision, I lied back down on the bed and sighed, feeling sadness sweep over me. But then realizing how I was feeling about this, I frowned and rebuked myself silently. God, she's better and so she's going home. Why am I sad about that? It means she's healthy, and she's going to be well. That's the best thing that could have happened to her, and I should be happy for her. I am such a horrible person for feeling this way.

I sighed and sat up. I somehow needed to stop this...

I scanned my bedside table for things that I could give to her to congratulate her on her getting better, my eyes falling on the music program trophy. But I shook my head. I couldn't give that away. That wasn't mine to give away.

I opened the drawers for something else, anything else, when I found the stack of U albums. It was like it was a replacement for a Get Well Soon card to the team - they all knew that I had plenty of these as well, but when they came to visit, they always came with one of these. I picked one up, and making sure that the plastic wrap was still intact and that they hadn't written anything inside, I ripped open the packaging and found a page to write on. I thought for a little while as to how to phrase it, then I realized that she was probably too young to judge my writing style. I just needed to write some nice words. Then finally, I put the tip of the pen to the page and started writing.

 

 

Thanks for keeping me company while you were here and being such a baby angel, Princess.

I'm so proud of you for getting better. Stay healthy and please, please come and watch me performing on stage someday, okay?

I'll miss you.

 

Love,

 

Kyuhyun

Super Jr.

 

 

After I finished, I autographed it and glanced at the clock. I still had another hour until the intern came to start me on my exercises again, and maybe I could distract myself from the fact that she was going to leave the hospital for an hour.

I shuffled closer to my wheelchair near my bed and struggled into it. And then I wheeled it to the door.

I spent the better half of that hour trying to pick out a good present for her. Stuffed animals, little things that I thought might make her happy... But what did I know about what little girls liked to get?

After hours of searching, I gave up and made my way to the cafeteria instead. Since she and I had shared food more than anything, maybe this would be more meaningful than just a regular gift.

I looked around at the various counters, then I pushed my wheelchair timidly to the dessert counter.

"Can I help you?" asked the busy woman at the counter.

"Uh - " I looked quickly at the display window before deciding. "Could I get a chocolate cupcake?"

"Gluten-free?" she asked as if she were too busy to deal with me.

"Um - "

I didn't know. Was there a difference in taste? Or did it have to do with her health? Maybe her heart doesn't take gluten?

"Y - yeah, g - gluten-free," I stuttered, although I didn't even know what that really meant. As she opened the display window to retrieve a cupcake, I cleared my throat. "It's - it's actually supposed to be a present for someone, so - "

"Candles?" she asked, cutting me off.

I smiled a little. "No," I said. "If I could get it in a nice box, that would be great."

She rolled her eyes before going to the back room and returning with a colourful paper box. She finished packaging the cupcake and handed it to me moodily.

"Thanks," I said, taking it. Then hoping to get her in a better mood, I tried to explain to her what the cupcake was for. "It's for a little girl who's getting discharged from the hospital tomorrow."

"That's nice," she said, rolling her eyes again, then she turned to the next customer to greet her with the same bored greeting of, "Can I help you?"

Laughing a little at her and our interaction, I went to the register to pay for the cupcake.

When I reached my room with the cupcake box on my lap, the intern was already waiting for me in my room anxiously.

"Where were you?" he rebuked. "I was so worried, I was about to call a missing patient alert if - "

"I'm sorry," I said, cutting him off. I set her present down on the bedside table and got up to begin my exercises for today. I sighed. I'm here, still just trying to walk, while everyone else was getting better and leaving.

The intern knew me well by now. He knew that giving me tasks to accomplish each day would drive me to finish them more than anything else, so for each rehab session, he gave me certain exercises to complete. I usually enjoyed these exercises, but for whatever reason, I couldn't stand it that day.

For the first time, I hated it.

I'd been given the task of taking five small steps without support for the session, but I couldn't do it. I would have fallen countless times if not for the intern catching me every time.

When I fell into the intern's arms again for what felt like the millionth time in that hour, I was finally ready to give up on this exercise for the first time.

"I've been in rehab for over three weeks and I still can't walk on my own," I muttered. Everyone around me was getting well and going home, and I was still stuck here, doing what felt like useless exercises that were never going to get me anywhere. As I just stood there, breathing sigh after sigh, the intern tapped on my shoulder.

"Okay, Kyuhyun. Come on. Let's go."

I gritted my teeth and got to my feet, holding onto support just as the nurse entered with my supper. I sighed with relief at finally being able to take a break. I turned towards the bed as the intern took the tray from the nurse and set it down on my bed.

"Okay, Kyuhyun. Let's finish this exercise."

"Can I do it after supper?" I asked, looking longingly at the tray.

"You can have dinner after you've finished your exercise," said the intern, almost sternly.

I sighed. This felt like training at SM all over again. No rest until you've finished your work. I turned my head towards the intern to remark, but he wasn't looking at me.

"Again," he said, paying no attention.

"But - " I complained, but the intern stayed adamant.

"You can do it," he encouraged.

I gritted my teeth in anger and gripped the support hard, before loosening my hand and letting go. And I began moving my tired and sore legs that just didn't seem to want to move a few steps, but before I made the five, I felt myself fall into the intern's arms again, much to my dismay and frustration. After he got me back on my feet, I shook my head.

"Okay, I'm not doing this," I bit out, holding back the imminent threat of losing my temper.

But the intern shook his head.

"I know you can do it," he said. "I know you can."

I closed my eyes and took some breath to calm to myself down. And clenching my fists, I let go of the support to try just one more time.

I knew I could do it, too.

I took three small steps without falling, but then on the fourth, I lost my balance again. But the intern's arms gave out that time, and unable to push me back on to my feet, I fell to the floor. I didn't fall hard enough to hurt myself again - the intern still slowed the fall and I grabbed the sheets on my bed to soften the fall as I went down, but I ended up stripping the entire sheet off the bed. Everything that had been on my bed fell with a crash, too. And have believed that I could do this - having convinced myself that I'd succeed that time and not being so, I just couldn't contain my frustration anymore.

"DAMN IT!"

I threw the fork as hard as I could across the room, where it hit the wall and fell to the ground. I picked up a bowl and raised my arm to throw it, but a pair of hands took my wrists and gripped them firmly.

"Kyuhyun, calm down!" shouted the intern. I struggled against his grip in pure anger and frustration for a few moments, then his calm face came into my field of vision. And the fact that he was so calm made me loosen the strength in my hands.

I stared into his face with the tears welling up in my eyes, then I hung my head, almost feeling embarrassed. As I bit my lip, he finally loosened his grip on my wrists and set my hands down on my lap.

"It's okay," he said with a small chuckle. "It's okay. Everything's okay."

I looked up. "I - I'm sorry, I just - "

"It's okay," repeated the intern. When I still kept my head down, he spoke again. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you so hard when you want to do this more than anyone else. I promise, I won't do that again. I'm sorry."

I chewed on my lip through my tears, and then I looked up at him. "I just want to get out of here. I want to go home, too, like everyone else."

He sighed. "I know. It's frustrating."

I took a deep breath and lowered my head even more as the intern chuckled again. "Okay," he said, patting my shoulder. "I think you've earned dinner."

"I'm not hungry," I said, shaking my head.

"You've worked hard today. You deserve it. I'm so sorry," said the intern.

"I really don't feel like eating."

"But you really shouldn't skip meals when you're in rehab," he sighed.

"I really - " I shook my head.

The intern thought, then he looked at me and smiled. "How about going downstairs to the cafeteria and eating dinner with me? I'll pay."

I hesitated for a moment, then I looked up into his eyes and nodded, a faint smile returning to my lips.

 

 

She was in a pink dress and a white hat, and looking so cute, finally looking like every other girl her age. But seeing her like that brought up some tears.

It was so strange, choking up at looking at her in her nice clothes and ready to go home. Maybe this was kind of like what parents felt like to send their kids off to school for the first time.

"Oppa," she said, tapping on my arm. I forced a smile, willing my tears never to show.

"Wow, look at you, all dressed up and pretty," I managed.

She beamed and started fiddling with the hem of her skirt. "It's pretty," she said absent-mindedly. I laughed and patted her head.

"Now stay healthy and keep out of the hospital so that you can keep wearing pretty clothes, okay?" I said.

"Yeah. In the hospital, I could only wear the ugly hospital clothes," she said, scrunching up her nose.

I laughed, suddenly feeling so self-conscious of my own hospital gown. God, why am I so awkward, even around kids?

I nervously fiddled with my fingers for a while before finally clearing my throat.

"I got something for you," I said.

"What is it?" she asked, her eyes wide.

I reached for the small box on my bedside table and handed it to her. She took it hastily and peeked inside before gasping with delight and looking up at me again. "Cupcake?" she asked, a grin forming on her face.

I smiled back shyly. "Yeah. Gluten-free."

She tilted her head. "What?"

"Uh - never mind. Just - eat it when you get home," I said, scratching my head. And then I reached for the U album. I handed it to her. "And this - this is just the album that I got to be a part of, and I just - wanted you to have it."

She gasped as she took it. "Is it kind of like that video you showed me yesterday?"

"Yeah," I said. "You probably won't appreciate it right now, but - but maybe when you grow up and become - become a teenager, you'll understand it more."

She shook her head. "I like it already."

And then she looked into my eyes. "I'll remember your singing forever," she said.

I just stared at her, unsure of what to say, when she climbed up on into my lap.

One last time.

She snuggled into my arms, then putting her ear against my heart like she'd done when we'd first met, looked up at me.

"Can you sing me the lullaby one more time?" she whispered.

I nodded. "Yeah," I choked out.

And then I started to sing to her the lullaby - one last time.

 

 

In the following weeks, I continued to work hard, and I focused on getting better. And the intern was there every step of the way. He was there through not just the frustrations but also breakthroughs.

And miraculously, only a week later, I was walking on my own without support. Slowly and gingerly, of course, but I was walking.

At the end of another week, as I successfully completed a slow 50-metre walk on the treadmill, the intern nodded in approval.

"I think you can start working at home now," he said, holding out a towel. I wiped the beads of sweat that had formed on my forehead before completely processing what he'd said.

My eyes widened. "Real - really?"

"Why are you so surprised?" he asked with a chuckle. "It was bound to happen sooner or later, and it just happens to be sooner. One more X-ray, and I think we could have you go home in a few days."

I just stared at him for a few seconds, then with a shout of happiness, I wrapped my arms around the intern and gave him the longest hug I'd given anyone.

 

 

I guess the U album had not only replaced the team's Get Well Soon cards, but also my Thank You cards. After having contemplated for a long while as to what I could possibly do for a doctor, I decided on a small note on the album.

 

 

Doctor,

 

I just wanted to extend my thanks more than anything.

I just have so much to thank you for, and not just for getting me better.

For being the one to be there from beginning to end.

For being my support and my rock the entire time.

For showing me that you truly cared about me, time and time again.

I know I was a difficult patient to deal with in a lot of ways, but I truly believe that thanks to you, I am in a better place today than before I got hurt.

But at least now, you know you've been through the worst; it's not likely that you'll have a more difficult patient than me!

So I guess, thank you for putting up with me and getting me through everything.

 

And really - thank you for everything.

 

 

Kyuhyun

Super Jr.

 

 

As I handed him the album on the day that I was to leave the hospital, finally out of the hospital gown and in a regular T-shirt and jeans, he smiled.

"Wow, look at you here," he said, looking at the cover.

I blushed a little at the implied compliment, and then with embarrassment at giving him such a small gift.

"I - I really wanted to do something better for you, but I just - I just couldn't think of anything," I murmured shyly.

He smiled warmly, and then he patted the top of my head. "The best thing you can do for me is to work hard and to stand on stage again."

I looked into his eyes, touched, and felt the tears of gratitude as well as the sadness that I won't see him anymore welling up in my eyes. Seeing that, he laughed.

"And never lose that soft heart of yours."

I sniffled and nodded as he wiped my eyes for me.

"I know you're a celebrity and all, Kyuhyun, but don't be a stranger. Keep in touch, and if you ever need anything regarding your health, come find me again."

I smiled and nodded again.

"I will," I said. "Join my fan club."

The intern laughed and nodded. "I sure will. Good luck with everything, Kyuhyun," he said, then we finally said our goodbyes with a long hug.

I walked downstairs to the empty lobby on the first floor on my own, and I sat down on one of the couches carefully, waiting for whoever they decided would pick me up to take me home. And a few minutes later, Seunghwan hyung appeared at the doorway.

"Hyung!" I shouted, getting to my feet. The corners of my mouth turned up in happiness.

"Hey," said Seunghwan hyung, giving me a warm hug. "God, I can't believe this. I'm so proud of you."

I laughed as we separated from the hug, and then I noticed him looking at me up and down. And then he laughed.

"You should never wear T-shirts on stage," said Seunghwan hyung.

I cocked my head.

"Why not?"

"You look so small," he said after a few moments of contemplation.

I laughed. "Or maybe we can go for a hospital patient concept. You know, get some pity album buys or something."

Seunghwan hyung laughed. "Well, I'll make sure I feed you well so your shoulders don't look so narrow anymore."

I laughed and hit him playfully with the back of my hand. "It's actually really hard to get me to gain weight."

Seunghwan hyung chuckled and patted me on the back. "Okay. Let's get you out of here."

We walked to the entrance of the building together, but I could tell that we were both scrutinizing each other's gaits.

"You have no limp," I mused, impressed.

"I know. I got lucky," he said with a smile. Then he looked at me up and down. "Doesn't seem like you do, either."

"I don't think I do," I said. "Time will tell whether I can really dance, but - "

I trailed off, thinking of the possibility that I might still not be able to dance. I stayed silent for a few seconds, but then realizing that I'd just created an awkward atmosphere, I looked up and smiled again.

"When did you go back to work?" I asked.

"Two weeks ago."

"So you're my manager again," I said. It almost felt surreal. It was almost - too good to be true.

"Yeah. And now, I get to be the one to take you home," he said, smiling.

I gave a small skip of happiness, as we walked out into the summer heat and the bright sunshine. God, this was so refreshing... But by the time I reached the black van, I was so tired that I was panting.

"God, I'm so out of shape," I sighed.

"I know, me too," said Seunghwan hyung, then he stepped closer to the van, as did I.

However, something happened as I did that I didn't think would.

As soon as I put my hand on the door of the van to open it, everything flashed past me. I closed my eyes and frowned.

The van spinning out of control... Lying helplessly on the side of the street... There being glass... Blood... The field, the cliff -

My eyes snapped open as I gasped for a breath.

"Kyuhyun?"

I let out the breath and shook my head, trying to focus my thoughts again.

No, it's not going to happen again. It's not.

"Are you okay?" asked Seunghwan hyung, hooking his arm around my side to support me. I hadn't even realized that I'd been shaking.

I took another deep breath and nodded.

"Y - yeah," I managed.

"Do you need a minute?" he asked, looking at me worriedly.

I shook my head.

"No, I'll be fine," I said after swallowing, trying to shake away the thoughts in my head. Think about something else, Kyuhyun. Think about how happy everyone will be to see you out and walking again.

I bravely opened the car door, but as soon as I did, I could almost smell the blood from that night, and -

"Oh my god," I whispered, holding in an urge to vomit, and I let go of the door handle and stepped backwards, shaking from head to toe.

"Kyuhyun," said Seunghwan in panic, holding on to me tightly.

I took a deep breath, then l turned to face Seunghwan hyung completely.

"I - I think I'm going to walk home," I said in a shaking voice.

Seunghwan hyung wrapped his arm around my shoulders. He helped me walk as he sat me down on the bench. After I'd caught my breath, Seunghwan hyung spoke again.

"Well, realistically speaking, you can't really walk home," said Seunghwan hyung carefully. "You don't have to go in the van. Do you want to call your parents, maybe, and they can drive you home?"

I shook my head. "N - no, I think - I think I - " I swallowed. "I'll take the subway."

"Kyuhyun," said Seunghwan hyung worriedly.

I looked up at him pleadingly. "Will - will you help me get home on the subway?"

Seunghwan hyung sighed, but then hooked his arm around my waist.

"Okay. Let's get you home," he said, then he turned away from the van and began walking me to the closest subway station.

 

 

*Author's note: Happy belated birthday to Seunghwan, Eunhyuk and Siwon (for the second time)! :)

And here are the Comment replies for chapter 141 and the April Fools chapter if you ever want to go back to it...! haha.