Chp 141

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

"Again!" she shouted in glee, the wide grin on her face.

"I - I'm getting really tired," I wheezed, trying to catch by breath after the fifth time around the floor in the wheelchair with the little girl seated in my lap. I had just pulled up by the elevator again, next to the ice cream cone, which laid forgotten on the floor.

"Please, oppa," she whined, tugging on my hospital gown. "Please!"

I sighed, but then soon smiled, despite how tired I was. How could I refuse that?

I nodded tiredly. "Just one more, okay? Or else oppa's not going to be able to move his arms tomorrow."

"Okay! Just once more!" she shouted, then she settled back into my lap as I pushed the wheels forward with a grunt of effort.

When I got back to the spot in front of the elevators again, I was soaked in sweat and my arms were shaking, having nothing more to give. But I carefully lifted her off of my lap and put her back down on the floor, where she giggled happily. I watched her with a small smile on my face. Well, she seemed to be healthy - and definitely happy. As she came closer and leaned her head on my knees, her little mouth opened wide and her little eyes closed shut as she yawned. I laughed and patted her head.

"I think it's time for bed, princess," I said. She looked at me regretfully, but her face lit up again.

"Are you going to come tomorrow night, too?" she asked.

I hesitated for a little, then shook my head.

"No. I'm not going to come anymore. You need your sleep at night," I said quietly.

She looked at me, shocked for a second, then her face scrunched up as her eyes welled up. "But - but - "

I smiled, picked her up again and put her on my lap once more.

"Hey, hey, I'm sorry, but you need to sleep. And I'm taking away rest from you."

She sniffled as tears fell from her eyes. I felt my heartstrings tug at her tears. I wiped them away, then once I was sure that she was holding on tightly to my shoulders, pushed the wheels closer to her room. As we reached it, I felt her grip around the back of my neck get tighter.

"No, I don't want to go in there," she whimpered.

"Why not?" I asked, perplexed.

"It hurts in there," she whispered, leaning her head against my shoulder. "I hate needles. They hurt."

I smiled and ran my fingers through her hair. "It won't hurt to go to bed right now."

I pushed the wheelchair into her room with her still crying on my lap. I wasn't good with this; I hadn't been around children very much, and at the same time that I loved her, I didn't know how to deal with crying children. I just let her cry awkwardly into my shoulder as I got closer to her bed. When I got close enough to it, I saw a fluffy, brown stuffed bunny with a pink nose on the bed. Remarking silently that this small bunny resembled its owner very much, I reached for it. Maybe this would calm her.

"Look, your bunny misses you," I said, holding it out for her to take. She looked up, sniffled and took the bunny in one hand. She still clung to me tightly with the other though, trembling, and so I held her in my arms as she continued crying. I didn't know how to soothe her, but soon found myself doing the only thing I knew how to do.

I hadn't tried to sing since the accident. I'd been too scared to try. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it again. And I certainly hadn't been taking care of my voice like I would have when I was still active.

But not being able to do anything else for her, I opened my mouth carefully and began to sing quietly and with all the sincerity in my heart.

 

 

Hush now baby, don't you cry

Rest your wings, my butterfly

Peace will come to you in time

And I will sing this lullaby

 

The world has turned the day to dark

I leave this night with heavy heart

When I return to dry your eyes

I will sing this lullaby

 

 

Her head rested against my heart as I sang. I definitely wasn't singing as well as I used to; high notes were a struggle and my breaths were smaller, but her eyes dried and her breaths steadied. I felt her body relax and she stopped shaking. And when I finished, she looked up at me with her glistening eyes.

"Oppa?" she said quietly.

"Yeah," I whispered back.

"I hope I get to hear you sing again," she whispered.

I stared for a second, taken aback, but then I bit my lip and nodded. "Me too."

I knew there was so much that could happen that would keep that from happening.

But I hoped that both of us would pull through.

 

 

I returned to my room after putting her to bed, but couldn't fall asleep. I felt so sorry to her that I started this friendship with her when I knew I couldn't keep it, and worried that something bad might happen to her and that I'd never know about it. I only fell asleep after the sun had risen already, and when the intern awoke me to begin my rehab exercises for the day, I was still so tired and sore that I could barely even lift the spoon for breakfast.

The intern took no notice and got me started on my rehab exercises as soon as I finished eating, though, but an hour into the exercises, I found myself unable to go on anymore for the first time since my rehab began. I sat back down on the bed defiantly as the intern shook his head. "Get up. We'll take a break in half an hour after this exercise is over. You can do it."

I shook my head.

"I'm so sore," I sighed. "And you're sounding like my manager or something."

The intern looked flustered for a second, then he dropped his head.

"I'm sorry, Kyuhyun," said the intern quickly. I shrugged, and he continued apologetically. "Are we going too fast with the rehab? We can slow it down a bit. I know I'm pushing you hard. I just thought you wanted it to go faster."

I shook my head. "No, that's not why," I muttered, massaging my arms.

"What?" asked the intern, clearly confused. "Then why are you so sore?"

I hesitated, then finally told him what I'd been doing for the last two nights when I should have been sleeping. When I finished I hung my head, expecting to be scolded for not following his instructions, but to my surprise, he simply smiled.

"It's a start," he said warmly. "Actively engaging in new friendships is very good progress in your recovery."

"It's too bad I have to end it," I sighed. "She needs to get better, and I can't get in the way of that."

The intern listened, then he smiled. "Kyuhyun, sometimes, the best thing we can do for a friend is... is just to be a friend," he said.

I shook my head. "But it can't work," I insisted. "I can't let a sick six-year-old run around wild at a hospital."

"Then she doesn't have to run around wild," he said. "Her doctors and I can arrange for you to meet."

My eyes widened. "I - I don't want to bother you with something as small as this, I know you're busy."

He chuckled again. "You think too much, Kyuhyun."

"I don't, or I - "

"Either that, or you're still making excuses not to make relationships."

"But I'm really not, I'd go every night if she weren't sick," I insisted.

The intern smiled. "Then I'll make sure you have at least a little bit of time with her every day."

"Would - would you?" I asked, almost apologetic.

He nodded, then hesitated. "It's a risk we're taking," he said under his breath.

I cocked my head. "What do you mean?"

He bit his lip.

"This little girl," he said quietly. "She'll either make you or break you completely."

I frowned at his unclear response, but didn't discuss it further, being so tired, and closed my eyes to relax instead.

 

 

It should have been obvious what he was talking about. He knew that this friendship, if it went well, would pave the way to my emotional recovery. I would relearn trust, faith and care through her. But he was also afraid that she wouldn't win her battle against her condition, and that I'd be left feeling devastated and betrayed, and become even more afraid to make relationships.

But just then, I focused on developing my friendship with this little one. She was brought to my room every day after lunch by her nurses, and we spent a few hours cuddled up together on my bed.

I often saved her my dessert and she often brought me her snack. We coloured, we watched children's shows together. But that didn't keep me from forgetting everything else. The fact that I had a future outside of the hospital, that I was missing the preparations for the second album was a heavy weight in my heart that never quite left my mind.

So when the entire team burst into my room cheerfully while I was eating lunch two weeks later, I could barely even meet any of their eyes. It was the first time I'd seen them this jubilant since I'd been here, and that almost annoyed me. Was just toning it down a little when they were visiting me too much to ask? Did they really have to rub in my face just how happy they were to be coming back with the second album without me?

I just exchanged short greetings with each of them when Ryeowook cleared his throat to say something. However, Eunhyuk cut him off.

"Hey, why haven't you opened this? You don't want it?" asked Eunhyuk, picking up the carton of strawberry milk from my tray. "Can I have it?"

I shook my head and snatched it out of his hand. "No, hands off, that's for someone else."

Eunhyuk frowned and crossed his arms. "Wow, Cho Kyuhyun, you wouldn't even give me your milk when I just took a - "

"Lee Hyukjae, that's enough," said Leeteuk, cutting him off, apparently alarmed.

Eunhyuk closed his mouth and sulked for a moment while Ryeowook spoke.

"Kyuhyun," he said, reaching for my hand. Then he held it tightly. "Kyuhyun, we have good news and bad news. Which do you want to hear first?"

"What?" I said, surprised.

"Bad news it is," said Heechul arrogantly without waiting for my response. "We've moved on to the next cycle of promotions without you."

I clenched my teeth. What was this? Was he making fun of me?

"I know. That's not news," I snapped. Heechul simply smirked, and if I could, I would have punched him. But before I could, Leeteuk hit Heechul with the back of his hand.

"Now the good news," said Leeteuk, ignoring my outburst. "We - "

He paused to let his wide smile fill his face. "We're moving on with SM Town, Kyuhyun."

I glared at him. "That's not good news, that's just - "

I paused for a minute to process this. Wait... wait... did that mean -

I looked up, shocked. "Wait," I managed, feeling like my breath had been taken away. There was a chorus of laughter at my response. I ignored them.

"You mean - you've moved on with SM Town and not - not the - "

"Yeah," said Leeteuk with a warm smile. "SM Town. Not with the second album."

My eyes widened and my heart began to pound.

This can't be true. This is too good to be true. I have to be dreaming.

"Liar," I whispered in disbelief.

"Not lying," said Ryeowook, squeezing my hand again. A wide smile formed on his and everyone else's faces. "We convinced the company to wait with the second album until you got better."

My mouth dropped open at the confirmation and I just stayed there, motionless and expressionless for minutes on end. Then finally, Sungmin took me by the shoulders.

"Kyuhyun, you're supposed to be happy," he said.

"I - I am," I managed.

"Then come on! Be happy!" shouted Yesung, ruffling my hair.

The smile finally spread across my lips. Then I gave a long shout of happiness as everyone laughed and gathered around my bed to surround me in hugs.

Just as we separated from the hug, the door opened and the nurse that brought the little girl to my room every day poked her head inside.

"Kyuhyun, she's here if you want to see her," she said.

"Who?" asked Donghae, his eyes wide. "She? A girl? You have a girlfriend?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, a friend I made," I said. "She's six years old."

"Oh," said Donghae, clearly disappointed.

"We have to go anyway, we have a session with the choreographer soon," said Leeteuk. "Have fun with your little friend."

I smiled and waved them goodbye as they left the room with a final good-bye. I was left alone in the bed waiting for her for several minutes before she came inside; I guessed that the team was talking to her.

A few moments later, she bounded inside with her arms full of books and a container of jello.

"Here," she said, pushing the jello into my hand.

"And this is for you," I said, handing her the carton of strawberry milk. She laughed sweetly, then she climbed up on the bed.

"Let's pretend we're at school today so that I can be ready for real school," she declared without introduction. "Oppa, you be the teacher," she said bossily, pushing the books into my hand.

And then her sparkling eyes met mine.

I laughed and awkwardly ran my hand through my hair. "Uh - okay."

As I just bit my lip, unsure of how I was supposed to start this, she took the lead.

"Good afternoon, sir," she said happily.

I suppressed a smile. "Good afternoon, class," I said, embarrassed. Class of one.

"What are we going to learn today?" she asked.

"Um - " I flipped through the book that she'd just handed me, but gosh, I'd never been the teacher before when I played school, and I felt so lost. As I just sat there, reading the book on my own, she cleared .

"Sir, I have a question!" she shouted.

"Okay," I said, relieved that she had a question.

"What's a pay cut?" she asked innocently.

I was so taken aback by her question that I couldn't say anything for a few seconds.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

At this, she also looked perplexed. "I don't know," she said, looking like she was about to cry. "I just heard the scary oppas talking about it in the hallway before I came in here!"

I frowned. The scary oppas - the team?

They were talking about a pay cut?

"Do you remember what they said?" I asked.

She nodded. "They said they thought you would be happier about something and that they thought you would cry because you were so happy because everyone had to get a pay cut," she explained breathlessly.

It took a while for me to understand what she'd said.

They each took a pay cut to keep me in the second album.

Then without warning, my eyes welled up. Maybe with tears of gratitude, maybe tears of apology that I didn't show more happiness.

"Oppa," she said worriedly, tugging on my sleeve. "Why are you sad?"

I shook my head and smiled at her. "I'm not sad," I said.

"But there's water in your eyes," she said.

I shook my head and wiped the tears away. Then I took a deep breath.

"They're not scary," I said quietly. "They're the nicest, gentlest people. They just seemed scary because there are so many of them."

She looked at me skeptically, and I opened my laptop instead. "Let me show you."

Soon, I had pulled up the music video for U. When the video flashed me by, she gasped.

"Is that you?" she said, widening her eyes.

"Yeah," I said, turning the laptop a little to give her a better view.

She turned her head to look at me, at the computer screen, then back at me.

"But you look so scary there!" she said, pointing at the computer.

I laughed. "No, I look cool there."

She shook her head violently and looked at me with her sparkling eyes. "You're cooler like this."

I laughed. "What, in a hospital gown?"

She laughed too, and shook her head. "No, silly," she said. "Over here, you look angry," she said, pointing at the screen. And then she looked at me. "Over here, you're nice."

I laughed. "No, I'm not angry, I'm just trying to look y there!" I said, indicating the computer. She stared at me for a second, then she frowned, clearly lost.

"y?"

I flushed.

"I - I mean - " I didn't know how to cover up my mistake, so I stopped talking and pulled up the Dancing Out video instead. "Here, how about this one?"

She watched until the very end, then she smiled.

"I like this one much better," she said. And then she laughed. "And I heard you sing again!"

I smiled. "I was better back then, wasn't I?"

She thought for a moment, then shook her head.

"No, you're perfectly good now," she said, then she snuggled up closer.

I chuckled. "Thanks," I said, although I knew it wasn't true.

We lied there silently for a second, then she spoke quietly. "I'll miss you when I'm gone," she whispered.

I turned my head to look at her. "What - what do you mean?"

Oh god - bad news?

My chest tightened.

No, please, no -

"Oppa," she said with a sad smile. "Oppa, I'm going home."

Oh god. Why was she going home?

"W - why?" I asked. What if they want her to - to die at home instead of -

I shook my head. No, no, look at her, she's so healthy, she's -

She smiled again. "The doctors said I could go home now."

"Because - "

"Because they said my heart is all better now, and I only have to come back to the hospital once a week," she said with a smile. "They said - they said that I just got a lot better really fast over the last two weeks."

My mouth dropped open.

"Wow," I whispered, relieved. "Good for you. I'm so proud of you."

"You have to get better, just like me, so that you can go home too," she said sadly.

"I will. Really. Really soon."

"And so that you can do that again," she said, pointing at the computer screen.

"And when I do, I promise you can come and see me sing whenever you want," I whispered.

She smiled. "Okay," she said. Then she looked up at me.

"You're the coolest oppa ever," she declared.

I chuckled.

"I know," I joked, then we both laughed, hugging each other close.

 

 

*Author's note: Special thanks to LostInDreams for pulling me out of the block and helping brainstorm. Thank you! For this and everything else <3