Chp 58

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

Although I was recommended at least half a day's rest after the IV drip, I couldn't miss the morning performance; if I were missing, all of the choreography would have to change for the other members, and there simply wasn't enough time for that to happen. I did feel much more comfortable and much less sick after the IV drip, though that didn't change the fact that the morning performance was difficult. However, all of my hard work during practice over the last month must have paid off; the muscle memory took over for the whole performance, and I was able to complete the performance without mistakes.

Even before I realized how exhausted I was, I was just relieved to have finished the performance without mistakes. When we finally got on the bus, I stumbled into a seat near the front and closed my eyes. As I sat there, catching my breath, the manager hyung walked towards me and sat down in the seat next to me.

"Good job, Kyuhyun. You worked hard today," he said, patting me on the back. I barely even had energy to lift my head, but I nodded with my eyes half open. "Hang in there. We'll get you something to eat soon."

"Okay," I whispered, then when I closed my eyes again, I was asleep.

 

 

Most of the other members were gone for their next schedule, and only Donghae and I were left on the bus as we got to the office. When we arrived at the office after the 2-hour bus ride, I woke up, refreshed. I had thought that I was so exhausted because of lack of food, but it must have been because I hadn't gotten a good night's sleep in so long. I walked off the bus, totally able to support myself.

"Kyuhyun, they made fruit and vegetable smoothies for you in the cafeteria," said the manager hyung as I was leaving the bus. "And they said that you can try having rice porridge if you feel up to it."

"Okay, thank you," I said with a smile, and I walked into the office with Donghae.

As we were walking through the halls, I heard a loud "Kyuhyun hyung!" behind me. I turned around to see Jonghyun running towards us, waving and smiling his widest smile.

"Hey, good to see you!" I said, returning the smile.

"Hi, sunbaenim," said Jonghyun, bowing respectfully to Donghae. "I'm Jonghyun."

"Hi," said Donghae, looking at him and smiling.

"Hyung, you never talk to me anymore, after your debut," said Jonghyun, looking at me.

"I'm sorry," I said, genuinely apologetic. "I've been very busy."

"It's okay. Hyung, can we have lunch?" he asked with another bright smile. I turned to Donghae.

"Hyung, can he join us?" I asked, and Donghae nodded with a smile. As we turned to walk to the cafeteria, I saw Jonghyun drop something.

"Hey, you dropped - " I started, picking it up. It was the access card to the building. I looked at the photo on it for a brief second, then couldn't hold back the laughter. It was possibly the worst photo I had ever seen; it barely even looked like Jonghyun. Jonghyun turned around to look at what I was laughing at, then smiled, embarrassed.

"Aw, hyung, don't be mean," said Jonghyun, reaching for his card in my hand. I drew it away as I continued laughing. I handed it to Donghae for him to look at, who also chortled with laughter. Jonghyun looked hurt for a second, then Donghae composed himself.

"Sorry," said Donghae with a huge grin. "But how did you manage to take such a bad picture?"

Donghae handed the card to me as opposed to Jonghyun again subconsciously, then I saw Jonghyun looking panicked. Enjoying teasing Jonghyun, I slipped the card into my pocket with a smile.

"Hyung, I kind of need that," said Jonghyun, grabbing my arm to reach into my pocket.

"Hey, hey, can I get some respect, please? I'm still your hyung," I said with another satisfactory smile, slapping his hand away. "Don't worry, I'll give it back to you before we split. It's just for if I need a laugh over lunch."

Jonghyun just rolled his eyes and stomped into the cafeteria while Donghae and I exchanged a chuckle.

"He's cute," said Donghae, looking at me.

"Yeah. He's a good dongsaeng," I said with a smile, and the two of us moved to the counter to pick up our food.

 

 

The lunch went much better than I thought it would; eating felt like a normal process  again, and I felt totally comfortable afterward. Donghae and I wished Jonghyun a good practice after lunch, and he happily waved good-bye and walked into a practice room. After watching Jonghyun leave, I turned to Donghae.

"Hyung, we have four hours until the other members get here, right? What do we do until then?" I asked, unsure of whether we had responsibilities.

"I'm napping in the lounge," said Donghae, rubbing his eyes.

I was about to follow him, but then I stopped. I had four days to do two whole weeks' worth of homework; maybe it would be wise do a bit of schoolwork, if only to spare myself another scolding.

"I'll be in the study room," I said, and Donghae nodded as I bowed to him a little.

 

 

I only remembered more than three hours later that I still had Jonghyun's access card to the building in my pocket. Realizing that Jonghyun could be in trouble if I didn't give it back to him before he left the building, I packed up my things in my bag right away and set out to find Jonghyun. I peeked into the practice room that I saw him go into after lunch; he wasn't there.

Worried that he might have left the building already, I knocked on the door and walked inside. A few trainees were there, and we bowed to each other. "Hi, has Jonghyun left already?" I asked in honorifics.

"No, sunbaenim. He's in the basement, I think," said one of the trainees. My heart dropped. What had he done now?

"Thank you," I said, and with another bow, I closed the door. I half-walked, half-ran to the basement in complete apprehension. Was it Minhyun again?

My heart was pounding for Jonghyun's welfare as I reached the basement and pulled open the door to the only practice room there. As I opened the door, I saw Jonghyun turn his head to look at me.

"Jong - " I started, then I saw something that made my jaw drop.

There was a young junior against the wall, and Jonghyun was the one holding the broom.

I just stood at the doorway, frozen in shock and horror.

"Oh my god," I said, unwilling to believe my eyes. I shook my head in complete and utter disbelief. I couldn't even say anything more. "Oh my god," I repeated, then I backed out of the room in distress.

I kept on taking backward steps until my back hit the wall on the other side of the hallway. "Oh god," I said, still unable to believe what I had just seen.

Within seconds, Jonghyun came out of the practice room, the broom no longer in his hand. "Hyung," he said, looking at me. I suddenly felt the biggest surge of hatred that I'd ever felt, even after all my time being bullied by Super Junior. I was so sure that Jonghyun felt the same way I did about this - I thought I had made sure that Jonghyun felt the same way I did about this. I felt betrayed beyond belief.

"Hyung, let me expl - " began Jonghyun, trying to grip my arm.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" I screamed, pulling my arm away.

"Hyung, please listen to - " said Jonghyun, taking another step toward me. I backed away.

"I SAID, GET AWAY!" I took some deep breaths. "And don't ever call me 'hyung', ever again," I said, glaring at Jonghyun with the most loathing in my eyes I could possibly muster. I could feel tears of hatred filling my eyes. Jonghyun looked at me, also shocked.

"Wait, that's not fair, you didn't even hear what he did wrong," said Jonghyun. He inched toward me again. and I took another step back.

"I don't care what he did wrong, what you're doing is - " I started, but then I felt as if a ton of bricks came down on my head. I froze mid-sentence for a second, then I laughed in disbelief, realizing what his comment meant. "Oh my god," I said again. "You don't even think what you're doing is wrong," I mused. Jonghyun dropped his head a little, but he didn't contradict me. The laughter disappeared from my face completely. "Oh god. You really don't think it's wrong," I said in horror. Jonghyun didn't say anything again.

"I was such a fool," I said, shaking my head. "To think that I did so much, cared so much for a worthless ingrate like you."

"Wait, hyung," said Jonghyun, making a face as if he thought he was being injusticed.

"I'm not your hyung," I said in disgust. Then with the most contempt as I could, I took Jonghyun's access card out of my pocket and threw it at his feet. "Don't expect me to speak to you, ever again."

Then pushing past Jonghyun, I opened the practice room again to reveal the young junior, still standing there uncertainly. I was so angry that I couldn't even register his face, but I spoke to him in honorifics.

"Get back to practice," I said, keeping the door open to let him out. He bowed and left the room. He ran upstairs after a brief bow to Jonghyun as he passed him in the hallway.

Ignoring Jonghyun, I began following the young junior down the hallway to go upstairs for practice when Jonghyun grabbed my hand from behind. I drew my hand away so fast that I surprised even myself. "Don't touch me," I said, glowering.

"Hyung, I'm sorry," said Jonghyun, his eyes filling with tears. "I'm so sorry. I made a huge mistake."

"You don't actually believe that," I said, my cold eyes fixed on his.

"I do. I'm sorry. Please," he begged. He got on his knees and held on to my legs as tears ran down his face. "Forgive me. Please."

I bit my lip, considering for a minute. Then I opened my mouth. "If you really understood, you'd be apologizing to him, not to me. I'm not going to forgive you until you apologize to that kid on your knees," I said, looking into Jonghyun's face.

Jonghyun's mouth dropped open. "I can't do that," he said, looking up at me.

"Then I'll never be your hyung again," I said, then for the first time in my life, I walked away from someone on his knees without forgiving him.