Chp 25

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

For the days following after, Ryeowook didn't speak to me and I made no effort speak to him either. We didn't exchange a single word to each other for days, and if our eyes ever met, we turned away from each other coldly. I had stayed out of trouble somehow - maybe they were tired of bullying me, or maybe my "act-like-you're-not-rattled" attitude had started to work. Whatever the reason, even the filming of the long-anticipated music video went smoothly. I felt forgotten more than anything, but better forgotten than actively bullied. For about a week, I focused on practice and schoolwork, and things seemed to be starting to work out.

 

 

A few days later, there was a photoshoot for the CD cover of U, and all of us made our way to the photo studio in downtown Seoul. None of us had eaten anything for 24 hours as a kind of a crash diet, and everyone, including myself, was extremely irritable on the way there. I heard a few hurtful words go back and forth between the members, but I opted to keep to myself during this time. We were supposed to shoot in several different studios, and seeing as I had never done anything like this before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Before the photoshoot, the manager hyung had pulled me aside.

"There's going to be camera crew there," he said. My eyes widened.

"Really?" I said, nervous.

"Yeah. There's obviously going to be some attention on you," he said. "They will definitely ask you questions."

"What are they going to be asking?" I asked.

"Here," he said, giving me a piece of paper. "The questions and the pre-prepared answers. Memorize. And the other thing is..." he hesitated.

"What?"

"I know things are sticky between you and the other members. But pretend that they are your best friends. They're going to do the same," he said.

I scoffed. "Oh, sure, why not?"

"This is serious, Kyuhyun," he said with a frown. "Use your common sense. If you say anything at all that even implies in any way that you've been mistreated..." he pointed a finger at me.

"Fine," I said, looking at the floor.

"And look happier on camera," he said. "Joke with the guys, and laugh at their jokes... you know how it is, right?"

I sighed.

"Okay, okay," I said, annoyed. I turned around to walk away.

"Hey," he said, grabbing my shoulder and turning me around. "Enough with the attitude."

"Fine, sorry," I said, and looked away again.

"Are you serious? Come to your senses," he said, shaking my shoulders slightly. "If you mess this up, your place in the team is compromised, especially since your debut hasn't been officially announced."

I felt my heart drop, and I was speechless. I hadn't thought about that since I had moved in with the rest of the guys, but it was obvious that it wouldn't be at all difficult to pull me off the team.

"I don't want that to happen either," said the manager. "So do it. And lose the attitude."

"Okay," I said much more timidly, and he allowed me to walk away this time.

 

 

It really was amazing how much the members changed towards me when they were on camera with such a straight face. During the whole photoshoot, the members never left me alone. Each of them came to me in turn to give me a brief hug and make a joke - and then they would say a few things as if I was in on some inside joke. I laughed along every time and joked and hugged back, but internally, I was just marvelling at  their thick skin the whole time. I even observed Ryeowook conducting an interview, and when asked about me, he had the nerve to say, "Kyuhyun, let's do our very best together! I love you!" into the camera while forming a heart above his head with his arms. I had kept myself from scoffing with difficulty, and had displayed a smile instead and waved, aware of the camera that was pointing in my face.

Then when it came time for the group interview, Kangin put his arm around my shoulders. "Well, you'll notice that we have a new member with us for this new album! Please welcome the new maknae, Kyuhyun, and support him with lots of love!" he said. This was the first time Kangin showed any interest in me whatsoever, so internally, I wondered how he felt that he had the right to even say any of these things. Externally, of course, I smiled widely.

"Yes, Kyuhyun is an amazing singer, dancer, actor - and isn't he handsome? He's really got everything you need," said Leeteuk with the brightest smile I've seen on him since I joined the team.

"Kyuhyun, how are you activities?" asked the interviewer. I was ready for this question.

"I'm working very very hard with the other members, and having so much fun in the process," I said this prepared answer with a smile and hopefully an air that implied that I was enjoying this interview. "I hope that I'll be able to contribute to Super Junior's success soon."

"Good to hear," said the interviewer. "Are the members looking after you?"

"They really look after me like real brothers," I said with a smile, looking around at the members. All of them who caught my eye smiled back so innocently. God, I hated all of them.

"Who treats you the best?" asked the interviewer. This took me by surprise; it was a question I was not expecting. I hesitated - no one treated me well, and the members filled the silence with natural laughs and audible comments of "it's me, right?" in joking tones.

"Um... I really can't choose just one," I said. "They all are just so nice, and I feel so welcome."

The interviewer had nodded and moved on to the next person, and I stole a glance at the manager hyung, who nodded in approval. Fortunately, I didn't have to say anything more for the rest of the interview.

 

 

When the entire photoshoot and interview were finished, we had been shooting for 14 hours straight with minimal food intake or sleep. We received tiny packed dinners that day after the photoshoot, but instead of grumbling at the small portions, each of us were pleased that we had any food at all and ate without complaint.

"When is the thing airing?" asked Leeteuk after he was finished.

"The day we release the soundtrack, which means... soon," said the manager. "Good work today, everyone."

Even in our tired and hungry state, we all clapped to celebrate on the second-last thing to make this a successful album. The only thing that was left now to do was go on the live stage.