Chp 90

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

Our Super Junior bus was at the front of the hospital already as we pulled up in front of the hospital.

"What the - " said the manager hyung with a small frown. "Why is it still here?"

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"The bus shouldn't just be here waiting for the members. It attracts too much attention," said the manager hyung. I looked around uneasily and indeed noticed a few people milling around the bus with interest.

"Not too many people yet, though," I said.

The manager hyung frowned as he parked his van. I made to get out of the van, then the manager hyung stopped me. "Just wait," he said. Confused, I stopped moving as the manager hyung got out of the van. I watched him walk around the front of the van, and unsure of whether I had understood him correctly, I opened the door a crack and made to get out. Seeing this, he rushed over to my side of the van.

"Careful," he said, opening the door for me.

I laughed. "Hyung, what is this?" I said, then he let me step out of the van and closed the door. He then took me by the shoulders as he walked to the hospital.

"Just because they know you're here now," he said. "Some of the fans have been staking out here to see you guys since Heechul was admitted."

I shuddered. "That's a bit scary, but at the same time, there aren't that many people here," I said, feeling like the manager hyung was being exceedingly overprotective, but when we stepped onto the other side of the bus onto the walkway, I realized that he was right. There were fans filling the entire walkway; I just hadn't seen them because of the bus. Really, though, it wasn't so much that there were a lot of them there - there were maybe only fifty - but more that they were crowded around such a small space that we had to get through. The security personels of the hospital were trying to get them off the grounds, but they clearly weren't very successful. "O - kay, never mind," I muttered.

The manager hyung laughed a little. "Eyes on the ground," he said.

I did as I was told before we were noticed, but soon, we heard cries of "Kyuhyun oppa!" and "Oh my god, it's Cho Kyuhyun!"

I looked up and made to stop automatically since my name had been called, but the manager hyung firmly grasped me by the shoulders and kept me walking.

"Don't stop if you don't want to be swarmed," he warned. "You could actually get hurt here."

"I never knew I had fans," I murmured. The manager hyung laughed.

"You really should monitor more. You have at least three fan sites."

I raised my eyebrows. I opened my mouth to tell him that he must be mistaken, but the manager hyung cut me off. "Not now. We can talk after we get through them," he said, then he pushed me through the crowd.

I think I was still a bit naive at that point - I thought all fans were the same, and I didn't really grasp the concept of a "sasaeng" fan - those fans who follow you around without regards to your privacy, the ones that are there wherever you are, whenever the time. I appreciated them the same way, having gone through such a long period of time with no fans whatsoever, and I didn't understand why the manager hyung was so adamant in having me not make eye contact with any of them, or why he was pushing and pulling with them so hard. I'd felt sorry and wished that the manager hyung would stop, but little did I know that these fans would go on to be the same ones that would soon come to our front door and asking to see us or ones that would go through our garbage to learn more about our private lives. These weren't fans who recognized you off the street and started talking to you. These fans were of a different kind - those who would disturb whatever you're doing just to get another glimpse of you.

Although I didn't know that at the time, I did what the manager hyung told me to do and didn't make eye contact with any of them and didn't speak to any of them.

After a few minutes, we had gotten through and stepped inside the deserted lobby of the hospital, then to our surprise, we saw the members there.

"Why aren't you with Heechul?" asked the manager hyung with widened eyes.

"We're done talking to him," said Leeteuk. "We were just going to go to the bus again, but we weren't sure how to get through the crowd."

"You're done already?" asked the manager hyung, perplexed.

"Yeah. He didn't want to spend that much time with us. A few minutes each," he said nonchalantly.

"Okay, then just wait until Kyuhyun and I get back. I'll help you on the bus after," he said.

I looked at the manager hyung uncertainly. If Heechul didn't want to spend time with everyone else, there was no question he wouldn't want to see me. "Hyung - maybe it's best if we just skip this visit."

"You're here. Let's just see him for a few minutes," he said.

I sighed. "Fine," I muttered, then the manager hyung took me by the shoulders again and took me upstairs to see Heechul.

 

 

I took a deep breath before putting my hand on the doorknob.

"Go inside," said the manager hyung urging me inside. I took another deep breath as I felt my heart starting to beat faster. I turned it a little, then stopped.

"Hyung, you go in first," I said, stepping away from the door.

The manager hyung rolled his eyes and took a step closer to the door and opened the door a crack, but then there was a loud, frustrated yell and then -

CRASH!

The manager hyung ducked and hid behind the door quickly again. Startled, he opened the door and walked inside. "What was that?" he yelled. Shaken, I also poked my head inside to understand what had happened.

There was an upturned breakfast tray by the door. The plastic bowls and plates were rolling around on the floor, and there was food everywhere - on the floor, on the walls; Heechul had clearly thrown his breakfast at the door just as the manager hyung was about to walk in.

"Heechul, what do you think you're doing?" asked the manager hyung in a state of panic, rushing towards the bed. I couldn't see Heechul's face because the manager hyung was covering my sight, then when I saw his face, I realized that he was sobbing.

"GET OUT!" yelled Heechul, tears falling endlessly from his face. He then noticed me at the door. "Oh my god," he said, turning his head away. I froze for a second, but then took a timid space inside.

"Sun - sunbaenim  - " I said, stepping around the bowls and the food. Heechul ignored me glared at the manager hyung.

"Why did you do this?" yelled Heechul, his face covered with tears. "Just to show me how well you're doing without me? Just to rub in my face that the team's finally doing well and I have to lie here for the next six months, doing nothing?"

"Heechul," said the manager hyung, clearly taken aback.

Heechul then looked at me and scoffed. "You brought the kid, too, obviously. Thanks, but I'm not pathetic enough to be pitied by a kid like him," said Heechul, wiping his tears, but new sobs overcame him. "He did nothing to get us where we are. I was there - I was there since we were that twelve-person non-broadcast project group who - who had to live squeezed in that two-bedroom apartment. And he gets to live it all, and I'm here? How is that fair?"

Heechul gave another frustrated shout as he glared at me. I felt my face flush with fear, then I grabbed the manager hyung's arm. "Hyu - hyung, I think we should g - go," I said, tears of fear welling up in my own eyes.

The manager hyung didn't say anything for a little bit then he nodded and turned around.

"Let's go," said the manager hyung, putting his hand on my back to push me out of the room. I hastily opened the door and stepped out into the hallway again with the manager hyung's hand still on my back. As soon as the manager hyung closed the door behind us, I felt my legs loosening up as I finally realized how shocked I'd been.

Just as I was about to fall, the manager hyung took my arm and supported me again. "Hey," he said, then he put his arm around my shoulders. I let the tears fall from my eyes and took another deep breath. "You okay?"

I breathed out and nodded. The manager hyung wiped the tears from my face. "Sorry. I didn't think he'd be like this. He wasn't like this yesterday. I guess seeing all of the members at the same time kind of..." he trailed off, but I understood what he was saying.

I nodded again, and he manager hyung sighed. "Can you make it downstairs?"

"Yeah," I said, then I took another deep breath and walked downstairs to the lobby with the manager hyung.

 

 

When we got downstairs, the team was still in the lobby, but they were standing in a half-circle around a company representative. The manager hyung dropped his arm from my shoulders and rushed over to the team.

"What is this?" he said angrily.

The representative glared at the manager hyung. "Please. Don't make a scene," he said, looking around at the deserted lobby.

"Well, when you're talking to them when I'm not there - " said the manager hyung, but he was cut off.

"It's nothing. I was just checking up on Heechul's condition just now and seeing whether he would be able to parttake in the next album. I just met the boys here and I was just informing them of the company dinner after their last promotional stage," he said.

"And you told Heechul that we were going ahead with the second album without him?" asked the manager hyung, shocked.

"Well, yes. If he's not going to be able to dance for another six months, I don't think the comeback we are planning on will be possible for him," said the representative. He then looked around at the members. "And if this last stage goes well, you'll get your salary back," he said. The members nodded in appreciation, then the representative turned to me and spoke coldly. "You still have the 75 percent."

I nodded as if it didn't bother me and looked at my feet. "Well, see you all at the dinner," he said with a brief smile, then he left the lobby, leaving us alone in it. As we stared at each other wordlessly, the manager hyung looked at me.

"At least that explains why Heechul was so upset," muttered the manager hyung. As we stood around, unsure of what to do, the manager hyung sighed and nodded. "Okay, well, get on the bus, and stay together while passing the fans," he said, then he waved us outside as we took heavy steps to the bus.