Countdown

It Was a Long Journey For Us

“Remember, tomorrow is you last day before it happens.” Said Jieun’s father.

Jieun takes her step to her room upstairs. All she could think was about her sudden marriage. Her father’s word really marked right in her mind. She couldn’t forget about it, even just a little while. If they telling her, that her marriage is with this guy, after 5 years from now, she could accept it.

But, now it’s too sudden.

“Why this is happening to me?!” Jieun spoke to herself. Her room was quiet enough to make her calm down. There was a knock on the door, “May I come in?” It was Jieun’s only sibling, her brother, SeungHyun.

“Gwenchana?” he asked. Jieun didn’t move an inch. She’s in complete confusion in this soap drama that her parents just produced.

“It’ll be fine.” her brother continued.

“How you can say everything’s fine? Uh?” Jieun raised her voice, and starts to cry.

SeungHyun still could smile at her, even though he couldn’t see his own sister crying. “I know it’s hard. But take it as your Christmas present. It’s full surprises, right?” he asked.

Jieun wiped her tears and look at her brother again. She hugged him, “Promise me to take care of me even though I’ll be married.” She holds out her pinky finger. SeungHyun held his pinky out and made a promise.

“Sleep well. Tomorrow’s your big day!” SeungHyun ruffles Jieun’s hair. Jieun giggles at her brother’s action.

“Good night.” Jieun said before she shuts everything.

 

~~~~~

 

“Design in Architecture, batch of 2012. Firstly, Kim Sae Hoong.” The announcer spoke.

It was the day, Graduation day of Seoul University. Jieun’s name was the third. Everybody were anticipating getting their degrees, masters and PhD’s, but Jieun was busy counting her final hours before she was officially ‘attached’ to someone.

“Third recipient degree of Design in Architecture is Choi Jieun.” Her name was finally called.

Jieun makes her step, and put on a forcing smile on her face. She bowed and received her scroll. She left the stage and sat back on her seat until the occasion ended.

They all gather at the main door of the hall, prepared themselves for photographs. All we could see were tonnes of bouquet of flowers, fluffy teddy bears and congratulations speech from family members.

“Aigoo! My little sister has finally graduated!” SeungHyun back hugged Jieun.

Jieun giggled. She spurned herself and bowed, “Kamsahamnida.”

“You must be that formal to your own brother?” a voice asked Jieun from the back. It was her guy next door, Woohyun.

“Congratulations!” they greeted each other and bowed. “What were you taking?” he asked Jieun. 

“Design in Architecture. You? Oh, SeungHyun oppa, can you buy me a drink? I ‘m thirsty!” Jieun continued. SeungHyun nodded and went away.

“I’m took Biochemical Engineering.” Woohyun answered back. “Wow! Impressive.” Jieun praised him. Woohyun giggled.

Jaehwa came and hugged as congratulate Jieun. “I didn’t saw you!” Jieun said. Jaehwa face palmed her self, “Hey, I took Psychology and I sat at the back. You were at the front.” Jaehwa answered her back.

“Yours?” SeungHyun came back with a plastic bag full with drinks. Jieun took chrysanthemum tea as that was her favourite. Jaehwa took grape flavoured and Woohyun took orange flavoured.

“Kids! Gather up! Let’s take some group photos!” Jieun father suddenly made an announcement. They all gather each by family to take some photos.

5 minutes later, everything was settled. “We have a celebrating party at our house tonight. Would you guys like to join us?” Dad asked.

Jaehwa and Woohyun parents agreed. Well, they lived near, Woohyun next house and Jaehwa was in front of Jieun’s house.

 

~~~~

Every family set up their places and the kids; I mean teenagers sat themselves in the living hall. “I’ll just be with them.” SeungHyun said to his mom.

“Why are being so quiet tonight?” Woohyun asked Jieun. SeungHyun and Jaehwa looked at each other. He noticed his girl next door wasn’t noisy as she always been. Woohyun didn’t know that Jieun will be someone’s wife by tomorrow.

“Let me clean your dish.” SeungHyun offered himself, followed with Jaehwa. So, Jieun was left alone with Woohyun.

Woohyun held her hand, “I know there’s something you’d been hiding. Just tell me what it is.”

Jieun didn’t pull her hand. She her time how to tell Woohyun about tomorrow. Well, Jieun had confessed to Woohyun that she liked him when they were 10 years old. Woohyun didn’t say anything about her confession. Since then, they were best friend and known each other well for 10 years.

“Woohyun, I-I … I’m getting married tomorrow.” Jieun looked down and her tears start to fall. “You should be happy. Why are you sad?” Woohyun asked back. 

“I know it’s hard for you to accept this but think in a good way, alright?” Woohyun comforts Jieun.

Jieun nodded. All their family members gathered in living room and smiled at Jieun. “We’ll se you guys tomorrow?” Mr. Nam asked. They all nodded.

It looked like they all already know about her marriage. “See you tomorrow.” Woohyun whispered to Jieun while hugged her.

“Omma, appa, I stay here for tonight.” Jaehwa said to her parent. They smile, “Take care, alright?”

“Nae.” Jaehwa answered back.

 

~~~~

 

On the other hand, Eunkwang still doesn’t know anything about tomorrow. Since his mother passed away last year, he turns to a cold-hearted guy, with no feelings inside him.

Tomorrow is their big day, only Jieun knows about this.

“Eunkwang-ah, do you know what day is tomorrow?” Mrs. Seo asked Eunkwang on their last dinner as a family.

“Of course. Tomorrow is the day I went out with Minhyuk. Why?” he asked back without any suspicious on his parent.

“Actually son tomorrow is your wedding day.” His dad answered back.

Eunkwang dropped his chopsticks with the spoon and his jaw dropped. “What did you say? Married? To whom?” he asked back in shock.

“You’ll know her tomorrow.” His father replied short. “You should get a full rest tonight for your big day tomorrow. He no longer has appetite to continue. He stared at his food for a while and looks at them in understood.

Eunkwang then made his steps upstairs to his bedroom. He sat on his bed, still thinking. “Who am I gonna married to tomorrow?”  He spoke to himself.

A text received in Eunkwang’s phone. It’s from Minhyuk, his best friend. “Did you know about tomorrow?” he asked. “You think?!” Eunkwang asked back.

“Hey, be happy about it! I wish I could be like you.” Minhyuk replied. “Well, you can take my place tomorrow and I could still be a bachelorette.  Kekeke~” Eunkwang smiled and he could felt that his best friend knew how to make him happy back.

“It’s getting late. I see you tomorrow then?” Minhyuk replied in split second. Eunkwang sigh, he wished he could talk more with his best guy. “Yeah. See you then.”

The time is ticking and few more hours to go before Eunkwang and Jieun are officially married. Both of them wishing on a happy ever after ending, but they were arranged marriage, how could they still wishing on that? The countdown starts by now.


Hii!!

I'm sorry for the boring chapter.

And hello new subcribers!

Comment & subscribe :D