Eun Sook

It Was a Long Journey For Us

 

The clock on the wall shown it’s just 11.30p.m and Eunkwang sudden awake from his deep sleep. His gaze met at sleeping Jieun. Sooner, he recognizes Jieun starts to frown and mumbled in her sleep. Eunkwang sat up from the chair and went to her bed.

He slowly shook her, “Jieun-ah. Wake-up. You’re having a bad nightmare, is it?” jieun slowly opened her eyes but her frowned went deeper. “Eunkwang …. My stomach pain … is …” she held her stomach.

“You need to go to the toilet?” he held her arms and guides her to the bathroom. “I’ll wait here, alright? Call me if you need anything.” Eunkwang walks back and forth waiting for Jieun.

‘What liquid is this …’ Jieun look on the floor. White liquid coming out and streaming down her calves, “E-Eunkwang …. Call the doctor.” Eunkwang barged in and saw Jieun’s jaw hanged watched the white liquid poured down.

Eunkwang ran outside, “I NEED DOCTOR!”

“Nurse, please help me. My wife …. White liquid …” a doctor with 3 nurses ran to Jieun’s room. “Mrs. Seo?” the doctor called her. Jieun slowly answered, “I’m … h-here.” The nurses help her on her knees and laid her on her bed.

The doctor checked her opening, “We have to wait for 5 inches before you could labour normally … its now just 3 inches.”

“We just have to wait few more hours. Please bear with it, Mrs. Seo.” The doctor continued. Jieun only nods, “Pressed the red button if anything happens.” The doctor and nurses left them both.

Eunkwang held her hands, “Just scream. Don’t hold it inside.” She cried and held her voices inside. “Eunkwang, I’m sorry if I disappoint you all this while. I’m sorry if I’ve been a bad wife …” she can only breathe in and out to keep herself shut from screaming.

“Jieun, you’ve done nothing wrong to me before.” Eunkwang kissed at the back of her hand.

She half-smiled, “I’m sorry Eunkwang. I wish I could turn on time and be the best for you.” She held his hand tighter. “Please don’t say like that, Jieun. I love you no matter what.”

The atmosphere now turns tense with grins sound from Jieun, “You need anything?” he asked while wiping her sweats. She slowly shook her head, “No … just stay with me. Don’t go anywhere.” She insists.

He nods. Eunkwang could only watch his wife hold her unbearable pain. After a long 45 hours, waiting, “Bring her to the labour hall now.”

Eunkwang followed her into the labour hall, “Okay Mrs. Seo, I need you to push with all your heart give in. Within my count, 1 … 2 … 3 … PUSH!” the doctor instructs.

Eunkwang held her hands and mutters a prayer in the same time, ‘You’ll be fine, Jieun.’ One of the nurses wiped her sweat, “You’re doing great Mrs. Seo. The baby’s head is out now. I need you to give another push.”

She breathes in, she breathes out, “1 … 2 … 3 … PUSH!” ‘Breathe in, breathe out’ Eunkwang mumbled to her as she pushed for the second time.

Soon, babies’ fatal crying could be heard. One of the nurses whispered something to the doctor, “Mrs. Seo and Mr. Seo congratulations for your twins.” They smiled. “It’s a boy and a girl. Congratulations again.”

Eunkwang noticed that only one of the babies is crying. One of the nurses that bathe the babies noticed one of the babies only shut, not cry. She quickly wrapped the babies with towel and head out from the labour hall with baby in her arms.

“Where are you taking me child?” Jieun yelled and try to sit up from the bed. Eunkwang have to stop her, “Mrs. Seo everything will be fine. I suggest you to have a rest first.” Jieun cries after seeing one of her child gone from her eyes.

“Eunkwang, what will they do to our child? What’s wrong?” she sobs harder. The nurse struck an IV line in her vein and pushed her bed back to her room.

“Mr. Seo, you have to make the registration for the babies born by tomorrow.” The nurse inform before they went out. “Jieun, you need rest, plenty of rest. I’ll be here all the time.” Eunkwang kissed on top of her crown before she dozes off to sleep.

As soon as Jieun dozes off, Eunkwang went out and met the doctor. “Doctor Kim, is everything alright?”

“Mr. Seo, it’s hard for me to explain but there’s some complication on your daughter …”

Eunkwang’s tears sprawl out and cupped , “How bad is it?”

The doctor held his shoulder, “I can’t tell for now. Your daughter have to place in a special baby room for a deeper watch.” He said.

“I suspect your daughter having a breathing problem. Is there any asthma history from both of your sides? He asked for confirmation.

He shook his head, “No, not at all.”

Eunkwang nods, “How about her life chance? Is she able to survive?” he asked again.

“Her life chance is 50/50. For now, I suggest you not to tell anything yet to your wife. We’ll tell the rest to both of you tomorrow.” The doctor bowed and left Eunkwang.

He sat on the waiting chair outside of her room and sobbing, ‘Eun Sook, are you alright? Daddy wants to see you. Daddy wants to play with you. Daddy wants to hear you call me. Can I get a chance to hear that?’ he mentally said to his dearest daughter.

 

 O God,

For all things I would like to thank,

I pray the best for both of my children,

May the angels be with them and protects them,

I hope you’ll forgive every sins we make and ensure the best life for our family,

Amen. 

 


Jieun have give birth to their twins! But, Eun Sook, what happen to that little baby?