"Kamsahamnida omma"

It Was a Long Journey For Us

 

“Eunkwang-ah~” Jieun called and distracts him from reading the newspaper.

“Hmm?”

“Who’s the boy with Hyungjae yesterday?”

“Dongsun? He’s Hyungjae’s new friend. Why?”

“No I’m just asking. So, he’s the boy that Hyungjae when played with yesterday with Byunghyun.” She mumbled.

“You know, I felt sorry for Dongsun. He’s still a kid, yet he have gone through painful options just to keep him survive.” He sat next to Jieun on the bed.

“Yeah, I hope his parents  are just fine.” She sighed.

Eunkwang hung his arm over Jieun’s shoulder, “They are. And they’re praying the best for him, alright? Mommy Jieun?” he pinched her cheeks lightly.

Suddenly, his phone made a disturbance.

“Nae?” he asked over the phone.

“It’s in my second drawer and the file is in the blue cover …”

“Yeah … Why?”

“No? Fine, 20minutes in god speed.”

He sighed as he ended the call and Jieun, still giggling over him, “I know, works killing, right? Now, daddy Eunkwang has to go to work. Shoo!”

Eunkwang pouts, “Hmm, when can I play with them?” he caressed her stomach. “When the right time comes.” She kissed on his cheek.

“Hey, I’ll be back within an hour alright? Maximum is 3 hours.” They hugged each other before Eunkwang left Jieun alone in her ward.

She made her way to the wide window and mesmerised the view outside. Jieun sat on the chair and breathe the fresh air, ‘A great weather to do anything. But I’m still here, waiting for my children to play with.’ She giggled and held her stomach as the baby kicks as they react.

A tiny knock on the door visit her, “Mrs. Seo? It’s your lunch time.” The nurse places a tray of food on her bed-side table. “I’ll come back in an hour time.” She bowed and left.

Jieun walk over and met her gaze to the tray, ‘Hmm, looks like we’re having carbonara for our lunch. Italian theme I guess.’ She thought as she ate some.

Not long after, she had her meals done and planning to give a visit to Dongsun. Jieun made her way to the paediatric ward which on the level 4. She walked to the counter and asks about Dongsun.

“Hi, how may I help you?” the nurse at the counter asked. “Hi. I’m Jieun. Is there any patient with the name Dongsun?” she whispered. The nurse smiled, “Yes. Jung Dongsun, our longest patient here. Are you here, by any chance wanted to visit him?”

Jieun looked at the nurse like she’s a sister, you know, like the head of the nurses or some kind like the senior among all.

Jieun thought for a while, “Well, maybe you could tell me about him a bit before I visit him later.” The nurse smiled. She walked together with Jieun to the parents’ room, but nobody’s there.  “The room is empty because it’s a weekday, so they all gone for work.” She said.

“What do you mean by the longest patient?” Jieun asked.

“Dongsun has been here since the day he was born. The hospital is his home.” The nurse answered.

“What about his parents?” Jieun feels curious to know.

“That’s … a sad story to tell.” The nurse looks down and deep sighed.

“Anyway, how do you know about Dongsun?” the nurse asked back.

“I went to the hospital park yesterday, for some fresh air. My ‘son’ came with his brother’s best friend. You know, small kids like them love to talk to strangers even though we warn them for the umpteenth time. From that, my son went to Dongsun and starts to like as being his friend.” Jieun explained.

The nurse made an ‘O’ mouth shape, “So, this is your second child?”

Jieun shook her head, “No, this is my first.”

The nurse rubbed her temples, “It’s a long story to tell.” Jieun held her shoulders and zipped from saying more.

“Are you sure you can handle this? I don’t want the whole situation may affect your babies with you.” She looks to her big and round stomach.

Jieun smiled, “Don’t worry. I’ve had enough experience for things like this.”

“Dongsun’s mother died 2 days after he was born due to loss amount of blood. His mother is in blood group AB – we only have a bag of the blood and it doesn’t help much.” The nurse takes one step at a time.

“His father is the one that take care of him until he reached his age to 5 years old. His father died due of car crash while on his way here. He received a call from the hospital asking him to come over because Dongsun will be having an emergency surgery despite his difficulties in breathing.” She explained again.

Jieun can only held her lips to firm-line, “I don’t expect it’ll be that way.” She played with her hands. “So, who’s taking care of him now? His relatives?” Jieun still with her questions.

The nurse shook her head, “We can’t tell but what from I know, there’s a married couple having difficulties of having babies. They decide to make an adoption, but when they heard about Dongsun, they felt sympathised…”

“So they made a decision to adopt him and pay his hospital fees. But for now, they can’t take him home because it’ll be hard for them to send over for therapy since they lived far away from Seoul.” A reply for an answer has been given.

Jieun only nods, “Come. Let me take you to his room.” The nurse offered.

Jieun walks next to the sister and the atmosphere turn a bit cold. They walk at the hallway and passed some rooms and few fatal crying could be heard from inside. Jieun held her stomach, ‘Mommy will take care the best for both of you.’

The nurse took a glance at her watch, “You have another half an hour for visiting hour. But since, you’re pregnant I’ll tolerant with you. Take your time.” Jieun nods and stepped inside as the nurse turned the doorknob.

Dongsun who sat by the window, turned and saw Jieun standing at the door, “Hi. Do you … know me?” Jieun walks closer to him. He smiled and slightly nods, “Hyungjae’s omma.”

“Annyeonghaseyo.” He bowed.

Jieun sat next to him, “Dongsun, have you eaten?”

He nodded vigorously, “I have. How about you, aunty?”

“I have too. Call me omma, arasso? Do you like to be Hyungjae’s friend?”

He eye-smiled, “Nae. I do. Is he here?”

Jieun shook her head, “He isn’t but, I’ll make him to come over when he visits me.” Jieun make her promise. They both continue their conversation for few minutes.

At the end of their conversation, “Omma, I feel happy someone visits me.”

Jieun kissed on his forehead, “Me too. At least, I could ask my children to play with you when they’ve grown up.”

“Omma, you’re my first visitor. And I’m happy for that.” He hugged Jieun.

“I hope you rest well, alright? I’ll try to come over tomorrow, if my doctor allows me.”

He nods, “Kamsahamnida omma.”


Good morning! (Afternoon, evening or night, where ever you are)

I suppose to have my tennis practice this morning, but I'm too tired to go and high school is hell!

And yesterday, I read about leukaemic thing and I remembered on Dongsun.

Oh and, I expet Jieun to give her labour soon, don't you guys think so?