ISSUE ⑤④

Blitz Magazine

 

 

Jaejoong insisted that you head home first to cook dinner while he conducts a last minute meeting with the Advertising Manager (Jaejoong was finally ‘caught’ by the said staff who had wanted to discuss about revised advertising charges with the Editor-in-Chief whom he had been hunting down for the past 18 days. Why the staff member took so long: Jaejoong was playing hide-and-seek for the past 18 days as well.).

 

While you were washing the rice in the kitchen, the doorbell rang.

 

Surprised, you proceeded into the livingroom, looked though the peephole and saw a woman with boy who seemed to be in his teens.

 

‘Please don’t let it be Jaejoong’s secret lovechild. Please don’t let it be Jaejoong’s secret lovechild…’ You kept muttering in your head as you unwillingly pulled open the door and put on a forced smile, not caring if it looked fake or not.

 

‘I am so sorry for bothering you- while you were cooking,’ she stared at your apron before making eye contact with you once more, ‘I’m your neighbour from Unit 5.’

 

You almost fell on your knees to kiss her feet at the revelation.

 

And now…the awkward moment when you realised you don’t even know any of your neighbours hit you hard.

 

It then dawned on you that you also didn’t know whether Unit 5 was on your left or right.

 

‘Hello…neighbour,’ you managed.

 

‘Hi. I was wondering if you could babysit my son till tomorrow night? I have an emergency trip to make and I actually have to rush off to the airport now or I’ll miss my flight. I usually ask our neighbour from Unit 2 but they’re currently on their honeymoon and my housekeeper is also unfortunately in the hospital because of a really bad case of food poisoning. Could you please?’

 

Err…sure.’ You opened your door wider and stepped aside for the boy to come in, ‘But how come your son is incapable of taking care of himself? I mean, he is a teenager after all.’

 

‘He’s monophobic.’ The mother gave a weak smile.

 

Ahh,’ you nodded, ‘No problem at all, err-

 

‘Mrs Bae.’ She supplied.

 

Right,’ you answered sheepishly.

 

‘Well then, I’ll be going off now. Woo Sung, behave and try not to panic okay?’ Bae patted her son’s shoulder.

 

He nodded tiredly and entered your apartment.

 

You bade Mrs Bae goodbye and closed the door.

 

‘Have you had dinner yet?’ You asked.

 

‘Do you count cup noodles as a meal?’ He asked in an almost inaudible voice.

 

‘That’s not even food,’ you rolled your eyes, ‘I’ll cook an extra portion for you. You don’t mind waiting a bit till my…husband gets back right?’

 

Gawd, the word ‘husband’ just sounded so unnatural coming out from your mouth.

 

You shuddered.

 

‘I don’t mind.’ He gave you a small smile and you gave him a nod before proceeding back into the kitchen to finish up cooking dinner.

 

15 minutes later, you heard the front door open before Jaejoong’s velvety voice was heard, ‘You adopted without my consent?’

 

You laughed and poked your head out of the kitchen to reply, ‘Neighbour’s son. Teen-sitting him till tomorrow night.’

 

Jaejoong frowned, studied him for a while and then asked, ‘Monophobic?’

 

The teenager was caught by surprise before he nodded timidly at Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong then laughed all the way to his bedroom.

 

‘Evil !’ You spat and popped back into the kitchen.

 

You laughed to yourself at Woo Sung’s shocked expression when you cursed at Jaejoong.

 

The beauty reappeared half an hour later and you gaped.

 

‘Can you please put on some pants? And- IS THAT MY DRESS SHIRT YOU’RE WEARING!?’ You screeched.

 

‘You’re not gay right?’ Jaejoong looked at Woo Sung who was staring wide eyed at Jaejoong’s creamy white legs.

 

‘N-no sir,’ he stuttered and looked away.

 

‘Then there’s no need for me to waste time covering up,’ Jaejoong shrugged and sat down at the dining table.

 

How. Can. Someone. Be. This. Vain.

 

‘Can you stop stealing my nightwear?’ You frowned as you placed the food on the table.

 

‘You know, when you first started to live with me, I thought you were seducing me by wearing this to sleep, but recently I found out that this is actually really comfortable to sleep in.’

 

‘To sleep in, not dine in!’ You snapped. 

 

‘They’re all clothes and their sole purpose is to be worn, which is exactly what I’m doing now.’ Jaejoong replied with a smile and you rolled your eyes.

 

‘Let’s just shut up and ing eat, I’m damn hungry,’ you sat down and started to scoop rice for everyone.

 

‘Bad words aren't banned in this house?’ Woo Sung asked timidly.

 

‘We’re firm believers in freedom of expression,’ Jaejoong said while he grabbed the tub of kimchi from the middle of the table.

 

The teenager simply smiled and started to eat his dinner.

 

‘What does your mom do?’ You asked.

 

‘Oh, public relations,’ he replied.

 

‘Ha, how ironic.’ Jaejoong smirked.

 

You suppressed your urge to laugh.

 

‘What do you guys do?’ Woo Sung looked at you then at Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong was too busy savouring his kimchi in utter bliss to answer.

 

‘Oh, we work for a magazine.’ You answered.

 

‘Is it fun?’ He looked at you.

 

‘It’s fun for him,’ you replied, ‘I do it just for the fun of it.’

 

He laughed.

 

‘What do you want to do?’ You questioned.

 

Well… I want to be an accountant.’ He beamed.

 

‘Numbers,’ Jaejoong stuck out his tongue in disgust.

 

‘Shut up,’ you confiscated the tub of kimchi and Jaejoong pouted cutely at you.

 

‘Damn-ing-irresistibly-adorable pout,’ you gave in a couple of seconds later and Jaejoong grabbed the tub back with a cheeky grin.

 

Woo Sung sniggered at you both and you flushed slightly.

 

‘Where’s your Daddy?’ Jaejoong asked.

 

‘He’s in rehab.’

 

You looked up in shock at the teenager.

 

‘For?’ Jaejoong pushed on.

 

‘His drinking habit,’ Woo Sung replied.

 

‘Thanks for your honesty,’ Jaejoong patted the teenager’s back.

 

He gave Jaejoong a grin and continued with his dinner.

 

‘I’ve got dessert,’ you stood up to clear your plate, ‘Tiramisu anyone?’

 

‘I love that!’ Woo Sung almost jumped in his chair in utter glee.

 

Jaejoong sulked, ‘Just cut me some fruits.’

 


 

It was the first of September.

 

And Jaejoong had this date circled in red on his desk calendar.

 

The annual publication award ceremony was always held on this date and without fail, Blitz would always take home the Best Magazine Publication Award, along with some other trophies for winning in minor categories as well.

 

You chuckled when Jaejoong ordered Young Mi to make way for the new awards which would be coming in after this evening’s ceremony in the showcase cupboard on the first floor.

 

‘Getting a little ahead of yourself, aren’t you?’ Yunho asked when he walked past Jaejoong while carrying a large box of files across the floor. 

 

‘We always win, so you can’t blame me,’ Jaejoong grinned cheekily and Yunho gave a small smile before proceeding into a room unlocked and held opened by whom you recognised to be Blitz’s Finance and Marketing Department Head, Mrs. Nam.

 

‘I want the middle spot, Number 5! The new stuff are always placed in the centre.’ Jaejoong stated and Young Mi nodded tiredly as she had to shift every single one of the 100 plus trophies and plaques again.

 

‘Is this okay?’ Young Mi gave Jaejoong a dead tired look.

 

‘Fabulous,’ Jaejoong beamed, ‘For tonight, I’ll have you and Kimchi follow me to the event. Make sure you doll up and don’t throw my face away, understood?’

 

Young Mi nodded weakly, ‘Understood.’

 

Err…I don’t have anything nice to wear,’ you scratched your head embarrassedly.

 

‘No worries, we’ll just dig though The Wardrobe,’ Jaejoong tugged your arm and both of you started to walk towards the lift lobby, ‘I’ll help you out.’

 

You gulped, ‘Please don’t make me wear ridiculous stuff.’

 

Jaejoong gave you a sly smirk, ‘We’ll see about that.’

 


 

‘Number 2, out.’ Jaejoong ordered the minute he stepped into the closet.

 

She bowed and hurried out while closing the door behind her.

 

‘ YOU! I’m not wearing that!’ You gaped when Jaejoong pulled out a skimpy looking black dress.

 

‘Just kidding, Kimchi,’ Jaejoong hung it back on the rail, ‘There’s no way I’m going to dress you up like a hooker.’

 

You gave an exasperated sigh and hoisted yourself up onto the table and sat on it while you watched Jaejoong buzz around like a busy bee with the clothes on his right arm piling up within seconds.

 

Jaejoong threw all the clothes onto a couch and went though the pile and pulled out a few garments, ‘The safe look: Blazer, blouse and trousers.’

 

‘I’m totally alright with that,’ you beamed.

 

‘That’s what you’ll wear to the airport tomorrow.’

 

You frowned as Jaejoong tossed the clothes to you, ‘Why?’

 

‘We’re going to New York for a day to settle next month’s issue. Wherever I go, the fashion paparazzi will follow, so I don’t want you to be ridiculed.’ Jaejoong said and pulled out yet another look, ‘A little more daring: Tweed jacket over a striped long sleeved top and black jeans.’

 

‘I can handle that, please just let me wear that later?’ You begged.

 

‘Listen, this will go with 6 inch Louboutin heels,’ Jaejoong grinned and you groaned, ‘While this…’ Jaejoong pulled out an extremely feminine looking sleeveless black bow waisted dress, ‘goes with flats.’

 

Choices, choices…

 

‘I don’t want to wear heels nor a dress,’ you face palmed.

 

‘Choose your evil,’ Jaejoong smirked victoriously.

 

You thought bitterly in your head and replied uninterestedly, ‘The first look.’

 

‘Heels it is,’ Jaejoong pushed everything into your arms once more, ‘I knew you would choose anything over dresses.’

 

‘If I fall and sprain my ankle, I’ll make sure to take you down with me at the same time,’ you shot Jaejoong a dirty look.

 

‘To prevent that, I already have a modeling trainer on the 17th floor who will teach you the art of walking in those fabulous shoes. Now go on.’ Jaejoong pushed you towards the door.

 

You flipped him off while leaving the closet, ‘You had this planned before hand, didn't you?’

 

Jaejoong simply smiled smugly.

 


 

Sore feet and several incidents of almost losing your front teeth later, you wobbled your way towards the canteen for lunch.

 

Too tired to even queue up for food, you simply stole Yoochun’s cup of hot chocolate, Yunho’s sandwich and Jaejoong’s…unappetizing salad.

 

‘Back to greens?’ You asked with a disappointed look on your face.

 

‘My stomach has been rebellious recently,’ Jaejoong replied, ‘It rejects proper food.’

 

You pouted sadly, ‘Why don’t you let yourself adapt slowly?’

 

‘You’re right,’ Jaejoong smiled and got back to typing away on his (new) phone.

 

‘Are you guys going for tonight’s event?’ You looked at Yunho and Yoochun.

 

They both nodded.

 

‘We need to make sure our feisty Editor-in-Chief here doesn’t claw people’s faces out,’ Yoochun chuckled, earning him a hard whack to the back of his head from the sulking Jaejoong.

 

‘You always do that?’ You looked at the ebony haired beauty.

 

Jaejoong shrugged, ‘Just reminding them to know their place.’

 

You laughed.

 

‘Oh, I want to ask for all of your opinions.’ Yoochun looked up from his laptop, ‘There’s a current uprising trend of people reading fiction.’

 

Ooo,’ Jaejoong smirked, ‘I like where this is going.’

 

You nudged the ert while rolling your eyes.

 

‘I was wondering whether we should review books on that,’ Yoochun asked.

 

‘Before you say yes, Jaejoong,’ Yunho looked at his younger brother warningly, ‘Please note that Blitz had never covered such a topic before, excluding daring fashion trends and styles, of course.’

 

Jaejoong nodded, ‘Thank you for reminding me, Yunnie. And I’m sure it’s an absolute no from you.’

 

Yunho gave a small smile.

 

‘What do you think, Kimchi?’ Jaejoong looked at you.

 

Err… we have a recommended list of fiction books every month right?’ You questioned.

 

Yoochun and Jaejoong nodded in unison.

 

‘Then can we just recommend but not review each book?’ You suggested, ‘That way, we’ll still be sticking to our principle of relating ‘trends’ to our readers right?’

 

‘Case settled,’ Jaejoong clasped his hands together while adorning a rather sad smile on his face, ‘But I would have loved to ravish those book reviews…’

 

‘I’ll be sure to sneak the good ones on your desk once I’ve read them,’ Yoochun promised.

 

‘Oh, Yoochun, how you spoil me,’ Jaejoong side hugged Yoochun and gave him a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

 

‘Flirt,’ you rolled your eyes.

 

‘Jealous? Come here then, I’ll kiss you real good,’ Jaejoong patted his lap.

 

‘We’re in the cafeteria,’ Yunho reminded his younger brother.

 

‘Killjoy,’ Jaejoong pouted.

 


 

Despite the 3-hour ‘walk in heels’ training earlier this morning, you were holding onto Jaejoong’s arm like a lifeline, hoping you wouldn’t fall flat on your face and embarrass both yourself and the magazine you worked for.

 

‘Relax,’ Jaejoong turned and kissed you chastely on your lips, ‘You’re doing great so far.’

 

‘Can we just sit down?’ You practically begged as soon as you caught sight of a table for 10 with a sign sitting in the middle stating: Blitz. 

 

‘I just need to greet a few more morons,’ Jaejoong muttered before putting on a huge (fake but genuine looking) smile on his face as he greeted another Editor-in-Chief of a rival magazine.

 

‘I see our top rival,’ Young Mi whispered to you.

 

You looked at the direction she was pointing at and nodded. You tapped Jaejoong’s arm to get his attention as soon as he was done with his small talk with the other party.

 

‘That cockerel,’ Jaejoong frowned as soon as he caught sight of his lifelong rival, the Editor-in-Chief of Change Magazine, Radical, aka the same idiot who damaged your car last year.

 

‘Are you gonna talk to him?’ You asked.

 

‘Nope, too fabulous to be around scum like him,’ Jaejoong led you to Blitz’s designated table and you smiled gratefully as you were finally able to rest your aching feet.

 

You saw that Yunho was already seated at the table so you waved and said hi to him.

 

‘I was well behaved okay!?’ Jaejoong shot Yunho a dirty look when the elder eyed the younger suspiciously.

 

Yunho simply shrugged.

 

‘I got you a glass of apple juice- Good evening, Mr. J-Jung,’ Young Mi bowed before handing you the drink.

 

‘Good evening,’ Yunho gave her a small smile.

 

Gawd, he just smiled at me,’ Young Mi muttered as she sat down.

 

‘I totally understand,’ you laughed, ‘I also spazzed like mad when he did that to me for the first time.’

 

She giggled.

 

‘I can hear you,’ Yunho drawled even though his eyes were on his phone.

 

Young Mi went red and you purposely nudged her.

 

Jaejoong, whose eyes were darting to and fro Young Mi and Yunho, grinned and then spoke, ‘Ask him out.’

 

Young Mi gaped but immediately looked away in embarrassment while Yunho frowned hard at Jaejoong.

 

‘Doing you a favour, Yunnie,’ Jaejoong grinned, ‘Besides, you played matchmaker for me when you decided to put Kimchi in my department.’

 

Yunho sighed, ‘Stay out of it.’

 

Jaejoong pouted.

 

‘The ceremony’s starting,’ you stated when you saw a man taking the stage whilst grabbing the microphone.

 

True to Jaejoong’s words, Blitz did win the major award.

 

‘Thank you to the panel of judges for recognizing Blitz’s efforts. I also want to thank my fellow staff members who have been through thick and thin with the company. It’s been a year of ups and downs for our magazine but I’m glad we managed to pull through it,’ Jaejoong spoke through the microphone, ‘As the new Editor-in-Chief, I will put in my utmost effort to push Blitz to newer heights, so expect to see more fabulous stuff from us. Thank you once more and enjoy the rest of the evening.’

 

‘I’m surprised you were so…calm on stage.’ You admitted when Jaejoong got back to his seat beside you.

 

‘What did you expect?’ Jaejoong frowned, ‘I actually wanted to laugh in the faces of the losers-’

 

‘But?’ You interjected.

 

Jaejoong pointed at Yoochun while pouting angrily, ‘He made me memorise the speech Yunho wrote or he’ll freeze all my bank accounts.’

 

You smiled evilly at Yoochun, ‘You can do such a thing?’

 

‘My family has many connections,’ Yoochun smirked.

 

You smiled back knowingly.