ISSUE ㉔

Blitz Magazine

 

 

While you were busy fluffing up your pillow, getting ready to enter dreamland after a hectic day of work at the Wardrobe, your Blackberry rang.

 

‘Hel-’ you answered.

 

You were immediately cut off by Jaejoong’s screaming, ‘GET TO BLITZ NOW! WE’RE IN DEEP !’

 

You were sure this was a nightmare but when you ended the call and pinched your arm, you began to panic.

 

Jaejoong was screaming.

 

And the words: Deep ?

 

Since when was Jaejoong not able to solve anything at work?

 

You eyes then went wide and you violently opened your cupboard, threw on a simple outfit, grabbed your Blackberry and wallet, wore your sandals and slammed shut the front door behind you before rushing down to drive your car to the office. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You received a text from Yunho about coming straight to the 38th floor when you reached the building.

 

You took the lift up and you swore, it was the longest and most unbearable Blitz elevator ride you ever had. 

 

The lift doors opened and Louise, Yunho’s Executive Assistant, bowed slightly before handing you a laptop, a plastic comb bound document and signaled for you to follow her.

 

‘A meeting?’ You wondered.

 

But no, the both of you walked past the all so familiar meeting room and proceeded to the end of the walkway.

 

‘This is getting really creepy,’ you shivered.

 

‘Please go in and good luck.’ Louise her heels and left you in front of a menacingly looking door.

 

You took a deep breath and opened the door.

 

You were kind of expecting a gun to be pointed at you the minute you entered the room but the sight that greeted you was far worse that immediate death.

 

It was a massive empty room with large sheets of A1 sized papers stuck onto the surrounding walls with messy scribbles written with black marker.

 

Jaejoong and Yoochun were busy filling up those sheets on the wall. It looked like they were doing more than a handful of mind maps concurrently.

 

You stared agape as Yoochun was talking about some car article while Jaejoong contributed words on that very topic when suddenly he sprinted across the room to write some ideas on another sheet with the title clearly stated: Going Green. Yoochun rushed to Jaejoong’s side, grabbed the marker from him and wrote some stuff on it as well.

 

‘Let’s write movie reviews!’ Yoochun’s voice boomed excitedly.

 

‘Okay,’ Jaejoong turned around to grab another huge piece of paper from the pile in the middle of the room when he saw you standing rooted near the door.

 

His face of worry disappeared as he walked briskly towards you and placed a chaste kiss on your lips before saying, ‘Help us, help Blitz.’

 

How?’ You were even more confused now.

 

‘Blitz's got… we have rats in our company,’ Jaejoong sighed.

 

Yoochun walked over and patted Jaejoong’s shoulder while he spoke, ‘About 80% of our articles for this month were published in 5 other magazines. Not word for word, but the topics and the information were generally similar.’

 

Your heart almost stopped beating as your eyes went wide in shock.

 

‘But this month’s magazine will be sent for printing in 3 days… h-how are we going to… are we going t-to skip this month’s issue?’ You began to tear.

 

‘Yunho managed to get our usual printing company to push back the printing date by a week, so we’ll also have our magazine out a week later than schedule.’

 

Oh my Gawd,’ your tears were now flowing down your cheeks, ‘T-this is the most terrible news I’ve ever heard.’

 

‘We can’t trust anyone now, so the 2 of us are going to write all the articles for this month from scratch. We’re now brainstorming for topics. Jaejoong assured me that you can definitely be trusted. We’re going to offer you a chance to join our writing team. Are you in?’ Yoochun grinned at you.

 

WRITE!? YES!’ You immediately stopped crying and sat on the floor to switch on the laptop that Louise handed to you earlier.

 

‘She's just as bipolar as me,’ Jaejoong laughed, ‘Come on, Chunnie, let’s do more mind maps and brainstorming.’

 

Yoochun nodded and the two friends went back to their article discussion.

 

You looked at Jaejoong's rather expensive bucket of stationery on the floor and a sudden idea struck in you.

 

‘Can I write about designer stationery?’ You blurted out suddenly, causing the two stunningly gorgeous superiors of yours who were in a serious brainstorming session to turn slowly to face you.

 

‘Designer stationery?’ Jaejoong said slowly.

 

‘Just suggesting, forget it,’ you gave a weak smile.

 

‘BRILLIANT!’ Yoochun beamed, ‘We never wrote about that before!’

 

Jaejoong’s face brightened up.

 

You got to work.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You finished the article 3 hours later and when you looked up, you watched Jaejoong and Yoochun drinking their coffees while trying to score last minute interviews to write up special coverages for the magazine.

 

You looked back at your screen and you suddenly felt fearful.

 

What if the article wasn’t up to expectations?

 

You then realised that you haven’t been writing for the past year and you were sure that your lack of practice would have caused a deterioration of skills.

 

‘Print that out,’ a voice came from beside you, making you flinch.

 

You turned and saw a grinning Changmin, who was surprisingly seated beside you on the floor.

 

‘Print it out? Why?’ You asked.

 

‘It’s good. I proofread it the same time you did.’

 

‘You’re fast,’ you complimented Changmin.

 

‘Thanks. You need to print it out so we can make a mock up magazine and play around with the sequence of the articles,’ Changmin explained.

 

You nodded in understanding as you sent the document to the wireless printer in the room.

 

‘I’m heading out now,’ Jaejoong announced as he slung his bag over his shoulders and walked towards the door.

 

‘To interview someone?’ You asked.

 

Jaejoong nodded, ‘I’m going to do a local designers’ coverage. Better to interview them before they get all high and mighty.’

 

You laughed and Jaejoong closed the door behind him.

 

‘I didn’t know you were here!’ Yoochun turned and looked at Changmin, ‘Come here and edit my stuff for me.’

 

You gaped when you realised that Yoochun had written 3 articles while trying to find interviewees and you had only written one while you ate a sandwich.

 

‘How many more articles till we can fill up a whole magazine?’ You asked Yoochun.

 

‘Well, I have a secret stash of 15 articles written and put aside for emergency use but this situation right now is a catastrophe. So I have 18, you’ve got one, Jaejoong’s got more or less 35… we have about 150 more, I guess?’

 

‘And we’ve got like what – only a week to produce 150 of them?’ You gaped.

 

‘Don’t worry, Jaejoong and I can churn out articles like a machine on crack.  Anyway, we are scheduled to finish within 5 days because we still need to run photoshoots and stuff.’

 

! I had totally forgotten about the product and fashion photoshoots,’ you face palmed.

 

‘We’ll have the major fashion shoot at this… what did Jaejoong say… some big flower garden in a weird secluded area…’

 

‘Oh, the lavender place?’ You smiled at the fond memory of your second date with Jaejoong there weeks before.

 

‘Yeah, that one,’ Yoochun nodded.

 

The door opened, revealing an extremely tired looking Yunho.

 

‘I have told all employees to take a week’s off. My parents are coming in to Blitz to help me manage this magazine since we’re now producing an entire magazine with only a handful of staff,’ Yunho announced while sitting on the desk at the side of the room.

 

‘So it’s only us?’ You asked softly.

 

Yunho nodded, ‘We don’t know if this is the work of one employee or an entire group of backstabbing staff so we have to temporarily suspend everyone except the people I can trust.’

 

‘I can’t believe such a thing can happen…’ you sighed sadly.

 

‘Jaejoong, Yoochun and I have decided to scrap off everything in the coming 6 months’ magazine preparations too, so be prepared to work extra hard in the coming months.’

 

‘What’s the plans for the coming months then? We can’t just run an entire magazine with a bunch of writers and an editor right!?’ You exclaimed.

 

‘Hopefully by the end of this week, we’ll find the person or people involved in this leak.’

 

‘So, you have already reported this?’

 

Yunho nodded, ‘Of course.’

 

‘This slipped past you didn’t it?’

 

‘I must be getting rusty because I have been hit by so many surprises this year,’ Yunho sighed.

 

You laughed, ‘Nah, you’re still the all-knowing Yunho, it’s just that these things cannot be observed so easily.’

 

‘True,’ Yoochun nodded in agreement, ‘Oh, boss… Any ideas for articles?’

 

Yunho thought for a while.

 

‘Why youngsters hate Math.’

 

Seriously?’ You gaped.

 

‘Sumire takes 10 minutes per problem sum. And it supposedly only takes 3 steps to solve it. She loses her appetite at dinner when she recalls having to do math homework and her whole class fails division.’

 

‘That’s not really a strong argument,’ you replied.

 

‘My neighbour’s son screams all night long when he does algebraic equations. My housekeeper’s son gets help for math from me and I end up doing all the homework for him. Oh, and a classic example, all of Jaejoong's math homework during his high school days was done 100% by me.’

 

‘Oh my Gawd, that cheapo’s a cheater as well?’ You exclaimed.

 

‘Enough evidence now? You should head into an elementary school to do an interview and field research before embarking on this article,’ Yunho told Yoochun.

 

Yoochun shrugged.

 

‘On second thought, I’ll write the article then,’ Yunho suggested.

 

REALLY!?’ You cried.

 

‘I'll head out to conduct my primary research now.’ Yunho left the room.

 

You looked at Yoochun, 'Just a random thought, why doesn't Blitz write columns?'

 

'What the-' Yoochun raised an eyebrow at you.

 

'I mean, we're a lifestyle magazine...'

 

'We don't use or need... to sell our magazine.'

 

'Another random thought... if this issue because it's kinda rushed, why not put Jaejoong as the cover boy as distraction for the slipshod work?' You stated.

 

'That's using to sell.'

 

'But that would definitely work.' You grinned cheekily.

 

'I know. Now let me note that down as a backup plan.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~