ISSUE ㉖

Blitz Magazine

 

 

Yunho was sure he knew everything he had to in order to lead a proper and fruitful life.

 

But Daddy Jung didn’t think so.

 

Because of this, the head of the Jung family sent his eldest son to a socialite party, which was actually more or less a disguised matchmaking session.

 

Of course Yunho knew that it was a y trap, but believe it or not, he was what you called a Daddy’s boy, and still was, even though he was already in his mid thirties. 

 

‘Yes, I’ll go Father.’

 

Luckily, his father didn’t mention about bringing anyone home from the session, so he’ll just go there to have a quick drink or two, and hopefully be back in time to help Sumire out with her so called 'crazily difficult' division sums.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Yunnie,’ Jaejoong rolled his eyes, ‘No black please.’

 

‘I’m clueless about fashion and you know that. If I don’t wear this, I will become what you term as ‘A fashion victim’,’ Yunho said while adjusting his tie.

 

‘Stop, stop, stop!’ Jaejoong got off the couch in Yunho’s massive walk in closet which housed 99.99% black suits.

 

Jaejoong dug hard and pulled out a gold suitcase.

 

Yunho gaped inwardly, ‘No. Not those dreadful stuff.’

 

‘Yes way,’ Jaejoong smirked as he knelt on the ground in front of it, opening the suitcase to reveal COLOURFUL clothes.

 

Jaejoong kept an emergency stash of clothes in Yunho’s wardrobe for special occasions- such as this one.

 

Jaejoong pulled out a red double-ed blazer and accompanying dress pants, a white button down shirt and a black inner vest.

 

‘Look, black vest, so you’ll feel less awkward,’ Jaejoong smiled as he got up with the clothes, set up the clothes steamer and ironed the garments.

 

‘Like that’s going to make me feel comfortable in those… things,’ Yunho rolled his eyes inwardly.

 

‘You’re not going to a funeral, Yunnie,’ Jaejoong pouted cutely.

 

‘It’s feels like one to me.’

 

‘Love is a wonderful feeling. I hope you’ll experience it one day,’ Jaejoong turned to give Yunho a quick warm smile before going on to iron the white shirt.

 

‘I hope that day never comes,’ Yunho muttered.

 

Yunnie!’ Jaejoong chastised, ‘Life is not complete until you’re in love.’

 

‘Done with the clothes yet? I can’t wait to put them on,’ Yunho replied sarcastically in an attempt to change the topic.

 

‘Here you go.’ Jaejoong handed the garments over to his brother, ‘And good luck okay?’

 

‘For what?’ Yunho eyed Jaejoong curiously.

 

‘Try not to make new enemies,’ Jaejoong laughed.

 

Yunho gave Jaejoong a weak smile.

 

What!? You thought I was wishing you good luck on finding a date?’ Jaejoong chuckled, ‘I know you… you’re destined to be a single parent for life.’

 

‘Should I be thanking you for understanding me so well?’ Yunho chuckled, ‘Oh, before I forget- Sumire needs to get her English essay done and make sure she at least tries to answer some questions if she has any math homework.’

 

‘Yes, Daddy,’ Jaejoong shot Yunho a mischievous grin.

 

‘No sweet stuff for her after 9,’ Yunho added.

 

‘Yes, Daddy.’ Jaejoong walked over to the mirror to admire himself.

 

‘And she had better sleep by 10.’

 

‘Yes, Daddy,’ Jaejoong started to inspect his hair.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It was 6.45 pm when Yunho reached the ballroom at a fancy hotel downtown where the matchmaking session socialite party was held.

 

‘Jung Yunho,’ the Editor in Chief replied when the man at the door asked for his name.

 

The man ticked his name off the list and gestured for Yunho to enter the beautifully decorated hall.

 

‘Looks like some high school graduation party,’ Yunho muttered when he saw multi coloured balloons all around.

 

‘Alone?’ a velvety voice came from his left and Yunho turned to face the speaker.

 

Obviously. It’s a disguised matchmaking session so why would I be here if I already had a love life? Yes, I am,’ Yunho nodded.

 

‘Same here,’ she sighed and recovered second later, ‘ Oh, anyway, I’m Cha Ji Won.’

 

‘Jung Yunho,’ Yunho hesitated about offering her a hand but she had already held hers out so he just followed along and gave her a firm handshake.

 

‘You know the birthday girl?’ Ji Won asked.

 

It’s a birthday? And no, I don’t know the girl. I’m here because my father wants me to hook up with a girl. I’m supposed to be here on behalf of my father because he couldn’t make it tonight.’ Yunho replied as he took a champagne flute from the drink server who seemed to be floating gracefully around the ballroom.

 

Yunho made a mental note to stop watching Disney movies with Sumire from now on.

 

‘I see,’ Ji Won nodded, ‘Tae Hee’s the birthday girl- in case you don’t know her name.’

 

No use telling me, I’m bad with names. That was very considerate of you,’ Yunho bowed slightly.

 

She waved it off, ‘Tae Hee’s my best friend but she always neglects me in the presence of men.’

 

Don’t most girls do that? How unfortunate,’ Yunho told Ji Won.

 

Yeah,’ Ji Won sighed, ‘That aside, what do you do?’

 

Yunho downed the entire flute of champagne he was holding on to because Gawd, this was going to be a damn long night since he now scored himself a talking buddy and she seemed like one of those annoyingly chatty kind who never let the other party off until the whole event was over.

 

None of your business and I don’t have to tell you anyway, since I’m never going to meet you ever again. I work at a magazine.’ Not a lie, just not revealing the whole truth, in case she’s one of those serial gold diggers.

 

‘Which one?’

 

Won’t you just let it go? Blitz.’

 

Wow, I’m a big fan of that magazine!’ She grinned.

 

Then you should have known that I’m the Editor in Chief the moment I told you my name. Really?’

 

‘Really! Jaejoong is my style icon!’ She blushed.

 

Not bad  I see. Yes, he sure is admirable isn’t he?’ Yunho smiled proudly inwardly.

 

‘He’s like the world’s best fashion forecaster and stylist and his personal style is just… out of this world!’ Ji Won gushed.

 

Yunho simply nodded, ‘So what do you do then?’

 

‘I’m a marketing undergraduate and I’m currently interning at Blitz!’

 

Yunho almost choked on air.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘Daddy’s at a party right?’ Sumire asked when she entered the apartment only to find Jaejoong with his fringe cutely pinned back with a facemask on while sitting on the sofa typing away on his MacBook Air.

 

‘Yes, he is. He told me to…’ Jaejoong stopped doing his work to recall what Yunho mentioned to him while he busied himself in the mirror salivating over his own perfection.

 

You can’t blame Jaejoong; he was so good looking that he could even leave himself stunned and breathless.

 

‘He talked about…’ Jaejoong bit his lower lip in thought, ‘Something about school?’

 

‘Homework right?’ Sumire chuckled and jump onto the huge couch to sit beside Jaejoong.

 

‘Highly possible,’ Jaejoong grinned while playfully ruffling Sumire’s fine and soft long hair.

 

‘Can you tie my hair tomorrow?’ Sumire smiled up at Jaejoong.

 

‘I’d love to,’ Jaejoong smiled, ‘I’ll make sure it’s real dramatic and pretty, so much so that it’ll make all the boys at school chase after you.’

 

‘That would be bad! I can’t run fast!’ Sumire pouted cutely.

 

Jaejoong laughed when she misunderstood him, ‘What I meant was that all the boys will start to crush on you.’

 

Oh,’ Sumire nodded in understanding, ‘Adult talk is so confusing.’

 

‘You’ll learn as you go along,’ Jaejoong smiled down at Sumire, ‘What homework do you have to do tonight?’

 

‘Math,’ and the both of them stuck out their tongues in unison.

 

‘Now that you mentioned math… I can remember some words from Yunnie. He told you to at least attempt some of them.’ Jaejoong gave Sumire a sad look.

 

Sumire sighed and pulled her schoolbag onto her lap and took out her math worksheet.

 

‘I’m already starting to get a headache,’ Sumire feigned illness.

 

Girl, that doesn’t work. Been there, done that.’ Jaejoong winked.

 

‘Why doesn’t that work on Daddy? It works on my teacher though,’ Sumire huffed.

 

‘Because Fabulous Jaejoong here used all the tricks in the book on your Daddy,’ Jaejoong giggled, recalling all the tactics he used to get Yunho to do his math homework for him.

 

He had never done any of his math homework for his entire life as a high school student. Yes, that was how good Jaejoong was at coming up with excuses. 

 

‘These are hard… really,’ Sumire frowned.

 

‘Let me see…’ Jaejoong took the worksheet from her and studied it briefly before stating, ‘It really is hard for someone your age.’

 

Jaejoong fished out for his stack of post it notes from his bag beside him and stuck one on Sumire’s worksheet while writing:

 

 

Yunnie!

 

The school syllabuses these days are whack. They’re torturing the kids with such mind-boggling math questions.

 

If you truly care about Sumire’s mental health, you should put your Gawd-given Math abilities to use and save her!

 

If that’s not enough… Just imagine me pouting cutely at you. You know you can’t resist it!

 

Your FABULOUS brother,

Jaejoong.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘Your name sounds really familiar though,’ Ji Won stated, drinking her 14th glass of champagne for the night.

 

Yunho knew he couldn’t keep the secret anymore of him being the big boss of her interning company but he didn’t want her sticking her hidden claws (if she had any) into him if she were to learn of his true ‘identity’.

 

Yunho shrugged at her and raised his hand at the drink server to replace his empty flute with another.

 

Yunho winced inwardly when he was served red wine.

 

‘My sincerest apologies sir, but the lady in charge of the event wanted to, in her own words, ‘Take things up a notch for everyone’.’ With that, the guy bowed and glided off.

 

Yunho shrugged once more and took a sip of his drink. He was sure it was vintage because it had such an exquisite and full taste to it.

 

He then decided to abandon his drink or risk drink driving, which was a big no-no for the boss of the famous and world-renowned Blitz magazine.

 

‘Do you think I’m pretty?’ Ji won broke him from his inner thoughts.

 

No. Presentable enough,’ Yunho wasn’t lying though.

 

‘You’re really good looking,’ Ji Won started to giggle.

 

You’re dead drunk. Thanks… I guess.’

 

‘I ho-hope to seeeeeee youuuuuu at work tomorrowwwwww,’ Ji Won started to slur.

 

I don’t. We’ll see,’ Yunho stated and looked at his watch, ‘I’ll be leaving now, Miss.’

 

‘It’s Ji Won!’ She shouted, causing the people surrounding them to look at them two.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Yunho kicked off his well-polished dress shoes and loosened his tie as he made his way to Sumire’s room.

 

He opened the door slowly and noticed that the lamp at her bedside was left on, enabling him to see that Jaejoong was laid crumpled on the carpeted floor with an opened book beside him while he pouted cutely in his sleep.

 

Yunho chuckled lightly at the sight of Jaejoong and his eyes then moved upwards and laid on Sumire, who had her fluffy white blanket covered up till it hid half of her face.

 

‘Should I wake Jae-’ Yunho then shook his head and a smile spread across his face amusedly, ‘I can’t handle a sleep-drunk Jaejoong.’

 

With that, Yunho said a ‘Good Night’ to the two sleeping creatures and turned off the lamp at the bedside table.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘How did yesterday night go?’ Jaejoong asked when he entered the kitchen.

 

‘Talked to a girl.’

 

‘Wow, that’s way beyond my expectations,’ Jaejoong looked impressed.

 

‘Thanks a lot.’ Yunho then placed a plate of diced watermelon and apples in front of Jaejoong.

 

‘YAY!’ Jaejoong beamed, ‘Finally, proper breakfast.’

 

‘What happened during the past 3 days?’ Yunho questioned, doing his best to hide a knowing grin.

 

‘I ing ate kimchi and rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 ing days! I can’t believe I’m still craving for it right now,’ Jaejoong angrily stabbed the watermelon with his fork and popped it into his (pretty) mouth.

 

‘Even better reason for me to stay single.’ Yunho replied as he flipped the pancake in the pan.

 

Before Jaejoong could reply, Sumire ran into the kitchen to hug Yunho from the back.

 

‘Good morning, Daddy!’ Sumire cried excitedly, ‘Thanks for doing my math homework for me!’

 

‘You’re welcome. Well, you sure are chirpy this morning,’ Yunho turned around once Sumire broke the hug.

 

His breath hitched when he saw Sumire spotting a ridiculously looking hairstyle that looked like a cross between a Christmas tree and a hurricane whipped disaster.

 

‘This has got to be Jaejoong’s work…’ Yunho was in a dilemma on whether to compliment on its complexity or criticise on how totally impractical it would be since it was a Monday and Sumire had gym this morning.  

 

‘Gorgeous, isn’t it?’ Jaejoong stood up to spin the giggly Sumire round to show Yunho his creation that took a full painstaking hour to complete.

 

‘You do know that it’ll be ruined the minute she steps into gym class in about 2 hours right?’

 

‘I’m fully aware of that. So that’s why you must now write an excuse letter to allow her to skip gym today.’

 

Yunho gaped.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~