ISSUE ㉘

Blitz Magazine

 

 

‘Jaejoong… I’m really sorry for-’ Sumire began but was cut off by Yunho.

 

‘How was the camp?’

 

Sumire shot Yunho a confused look.

 

‘Boring and hot. My flawless skin is now ruined,’ Jaejoong pouted angrily as he harshly bit on a piece of apple.

 

‘Don’t worry, the tan will fade,’ you assured Jaejoong by patting his arm.

 

‘Jaejoong, I-’ Sumire tried but was interrupted once more by Yunho.

 

‘Yoochun found a new Fashion Assistant for you, Latecomer, so you should thank him when you get back to work tomorrow,’ Yunho informed you.

 

Jaejoong and you immediately slapped high fives.

 

‘Hell yes!’ Jaejoong grinned, ‘Finally, a replacement for ex-Number 3.’

 

You nodded in agreement.

 

‘Daddy, can you please stop interrupting me?’ Sumire pouted.

 

‘If you want to suffer from Jaejoong’s wrath, then go ahead. I was just protecting you.’ Yunho looked at Sumire.

 

‘We should always own up to our mistakes,’ Sumire said before turning to face Jaejoong, ‘Jaejoong, I ruined one of your cardigans with paint because I wore it to school.’

 

All eyes were now on the motionless Jaejoong.

 

‘Which one?’ Jaejoong asked quietly.

 

‘It’s dark blue and it has-’

 

‘Is it a v-neck cardigan made entirely out of Ultrafine Merino wool, has front patch pockets, black and azure tartan elbow patches and 5 buttons down the front of it?’ Jaejoong rattled off quickly, causing you to gape.

 

Err……. I think so?’

 

‘I think you’re dead.’ Jaejoong’s voice dropped an octave lower and if it wasn’t for the situation Sumire was in right now, you would have casually said a ‘Ooo, what a y voice you have there’.

 

Sumire let out a petrified ‘Eek!’ before breaking away from Jaejoong’s heated glare.

 

‘Just kidding,’ Jaejoong laughed, shocking everyone at the table.

 

Huh?’ You stared wide-eyed at Jaejoong.

 

‘It’s just a cardigan, although I’m still a bit hurt because that was the first thing I bought with my first pay cheque,’ Jaejoong shrugged.

 

‘I could save up and pay you back one day,’ Sumire replied timidly.

 

Sure, that would be $800 please and thank you.’

 

Sumire looked like she just got smacked harshly across her face.

 

Gawddamn, I could buy a couple of outfits with that money…’ you gaped.

 

Jaejoong simply shrugged.

 

‘I’ve got insanely expensive strawberries to cheer you up, idea from Yunho though.’ You left the table to take them out from the fridge.

 

Whoa,’ Jaejoong beamed, ‘You guys the best.’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You turned to the intern beside you.

 

‘Young Mi, I had fun working with you over the past 2 months and I can’t believe this is your last day already,’ you said sadly.

 

‘Yeah, me too! I learnt loads from you and the rest here. I’m so honoured to have been picked to intern here,’ she nodded.

 

‘If Jaejoong’s being an unfair and give you a bad grade, I’ll hack into his computer to amend it,’ you whispered into her ear.

 

‘Please and thanks!’ Young Mi laughed.

 

‘Let’s get dinner together tonight, my treat!’ You smiled at her.

 

Sure,’ she nodded and got back to work.

 

‘Kimchi, in the accessories closet now,’ Jaejoong walked past your desk and down the tiny aisle that led to the said closet you were in charge of.

 

You got up and walked briskly to catch up with Jaejoong.

 

‘What’s up?’ You closed the door behind you.

 

Jaejoong opened his laptop and gestured for you to stand beside him by the jewellery showcase cupboard.

 

‘Speak of the Devil,’ you grinned as you saw the Interns’ grade assessment sheet reflected on the screen.

 

‘Why? Plotting about this with your favourite intern just now?’ Jaejoong smirked.

 

You nodded, ‘I’m here to make sure all of them get the grades they deserve.’

 

‘I might be a bipolar- when it comes to most things, but when it's the matter of academics, I don’t play around with it,’ Jaejoong replied, ‘You might just ruin someone’s future.’

 

You were stunned by Jaejoong’s words for a couple of seconds before you recovered and nodded in understanding.

 

‘Good. I’m giving all of them A-s. Any objections?’

 

You shook your head.

 

‘Perfect.’ Jaejoong smiled and emailed the document to Yunho, ‘Now that that’s settled, we’ll talk about the new employee who’s coming in next Monday.’

 

And you watched Jaejoong’s long and slender digits move skillfully on the keyboard and trackpad before presenting you the newcomer’s resume.

 

‘Isn’t this a breach of personal information?’ You read though the newcomer’s qualifications anyway.

 

Jaejoong gave a throaty laugh, ‘Do I look like I care? Anyway, she graduated from Fashion school last year and she’s Yoochun’s friend’s friend’s cousin’s neighbour.’

 

‘I lost you.’ You chuckled.

 

‘I don’t think I got the whole relationship tree correct anyway.’ Jaejoong shrugged.

 

You laughed.

 

‘I’ll just name her Number 3 so it won’t be confusing.’ Jaejoong said, ‘Oh, and Yunho asked if you want to come over for dinner again?’

 

‘I can’t, I have a date with Young Mi tonight,’ you smiled.

 

‘Since when did you become a lesbian? And who gave you permission to cheat on me?’ Jaejoong sulked.

 

Excuse me?’ You gaped.

 

‘I’m not that dense,’ Jaejoong rolled his eyes, ‘Why not invite her over to dinner?’

 

‘Will Yunho allow that?’

 

‘ him- I mean literally. There’s me, so why are you afraid anyway?’ Jaejoong smiled cheekily.

 

‘At least inform him?’ You asked.

 

‘Okay, okay,’ Jaejoong whipped out his phone to text Yunho.

 

 

 

To: Yunnie

We’re bringing a person to gatecrash tonight’s dinner.

 

 

To: Jaejoong

It wouldn’t be called gatecrashing if I’m informed about it.

And if I said no, does it even matter?

 

 

To: Yunnie

It doesn’t matter because Kim Jaejoong doesn’t take no for an answer.

Especially from you.

 

 

To: Jaejoong

Let’s just test this theory.

No, that person can’t come tonight.

 

 

To: Yunnie

Okay, the 3 of us will be at your house at 7.

 

 

To: Jaejoong

Why did I even bother... 

 

 

To: Yunnie

No one can resist Kim Fabulous Jaejoong.

 

 

To: Jaejoong

No comment because if I denied that statement, you’ll just ignore it.

Do your work, Jaejoong.

Stop using office hours to chat about after-work stuff.

 

 

To: Yunnie

Hypocrite, aren’t you texting me back during office hours as well?

 

 

To: Jaejoong

I took a day off so I could accompany Kid to her school excursion.

 

 

To: Yunnie

You got your whipped by a kid, shame on you.

 

 

To: Jaejoong

That’s called being a responsible guardian.

 

 

To: Yunnie

Bull.

Bet it's damn ing boring so you’re texting me right now.

 

 

To: Jaejoong

Damn straight.

They’re baking cupcakes right now.

Kid’s decorating them with icing.

 

 

To: Yunnie

Yuck, just thinking of it makes me feel fat.

 

 

To: Jaejoong

I have to help clean the place now, see you at dinner.

 

 

To: Yunnie

You are so totally whipped.

Okay, see you later.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You pressed the doorbell of Yunho’s apartment and a giggly Sumire opened the door.

 

‘Hi everyone! Come on in!’ Sumire opened the door wide and gestured for you 3 to enter.

 

‘Erm, this is for you and Mr. Jung,’ Young Mi handed a small wrapped present to Sumire.

 

‘You’re the mystery guest!’ Sumire beamed and accepted the present, ‘I’m Sumire, and you are?’

 

‘I’m Young Mi.’

 

‘Come in, please!’ Sumire smiled even wider.

 

The 3 of you entered and proceeded into the kitchen where Yunho was busy looking into the oven.

 

‘Yunnie,’ Jaejoong gave Yunho a quick hug from the back.

 

‘You can eat roasted marinated vegetables right?’ Yunho asked.

 

Jaejoong peered into the oven, ‘Err… I'll make an exception, just for tonight.’

 

Yunho nodded.

 

‘Yunho! This is Young Mi, the intern assigned to me for the past 2 months.’ You pushed the shivering ex-intern towards Yunho.

 

Young Mi bowed.

 

‘Mi- what?’ Yunho looked at you.

 

‘Young Mi.’

 

‘What’s her codename?’

 

‘Intern 5.’

 

Ahh, better. Nice to meet you, 5.’ Yunho offered a hand.

 

She jumped slightly and shook hands with Yunho.

 

‘Why don’t you all proceed to the dining room? I’ll have dinner served shortly.’ Yunho turned and took out the food from the oven.

 

‘I’ll help,’ Jaejoong offered and carried the plates, utensils and cutlery towards the dining table.

 

5 minutes later, everyone was seated at the table.

 

‘Yunnie told me you baked cupcakes this afternoon, how did it go?’ Jaejoong asked Sumire.

 

‘It went great! I made 5 of them so I’ll give one to you later!’ Sumire smiled up at Jaejoong, who was sitting across her at the dining table.

 

‘I’ll have a look at it then Kimchi can eat it for me,’ Jaejoong replied.

 

‘Okay!’ Sumire continued with her meal.

 

‘I didn’t know Mr. Jung had a kid,’ Young Mi, who was seated beside you whispered.

 

‘His mom passed away so he was given legal guardianship over Sumire.’ You told Young Mi.

 

She just nodded in understanding. 

 

‘Don’t whisper over there, feel free to talk openly,’ Yunho said, causing Young Mi to flinch.

 

‘Y-yes, Mr. Jung.’

 

‘It’s after-work hours, so just address everyone here by their names.’ Yunho remarked.

 

‘Okay,’ Young Mi answered softly.

 

‘So, how was the whole internship with Blitz?’ Yunho asked.

 

‘It was a really eye-opening experience.’ Young Mi spoke, still in a rather soft voice.

 

‘Good,’ he nodded.

 

‘Someone’s shy,’ Jaejoong taunted.

 

Young Mi blushed.

 

‘Do you find Yunnie hot?’ Jaejoong wiggled his eyebrow suggestively.

 

Totally,’ you challenged Jaejoong.

 

‘Hey! I wasn’t asking you!’ Jaejoong pouted angrily.

 

‘Yes, Daddy’s hot!’ Sumire joined in.

 

Jaejoong face palmed.

 

Young Mi whispered a soft thank you for saving her from embarrassment.

 

‘You should send me your writing portfolio,’ Yunho said suddenly, causing everyone to look strangely at him.

 

‘I-I sh-should?’ Young Mi stammered.

 

Yunho nodded, ‘I lost quite a lot of employees after the investigation on the leak last month so I’m currently looking for recruits. Since Jaejoong gave a really good performance review for your internship report and now that you’re here, I’m giving you an opportunity to work for Blitz, only if your portfolio impresses me.’

 

Oh my Gawd!’ You cried in excitement, ‘Send it to him as soon as you get home!’

 

Young Mi bowed in her seat gratefully, ‘T-thank you, Mr Ju- Yu-Yunho.’

 

Yunho waved it off.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Young Mi declined when you offered to send her home so you called a cab for her and the rest bade her goodbye from Yunho’s front door.

 

‘I’m leaving now, just need to grab my stuff,’ you said as you walked towards the livingroom to get your bag.

 

‘Sit, we need to talk.’ Jaejoong gestured at the empty seat beside him on the sofa.

 

About?’ You sat down with your bag placed on your lap.

 

‘I finally found a suitable apartment,’ Jaejoong beamed and whipped out his iphone to show you pictures of it.

 

Whoa, it’s even bigger than your old one,’ you smiled.

 

‘When are you moving in?’ Yunho asked.

 

‘By the end of this week? I started buying some furniture and had them sent over already,’ Jaejoong stated, ‘Kimchi, I would like you to move in with me.’

 

W-what!?’ You stuttered.

 

‘I’m serious here.’ Jaejoong looked you dead in the eye.

 

‘You should, then you can make out freely in there,’ Yunho gave you a knowing grin.

 

You looked away embarrassedly and muttered, ‘I’ll think about it.’

 

‘You know you want to,’ Jaejoong playfully nudged you.

 

‘I…’ you were lost for words, ‘Okay, fine.’

 

‘You won’t regret it, I promise you!’ Jaejoong placed a chaste kiss on your lips and skipped away. 

 

You shuddered when you realised that you would be facing Jaejoong 24/7 from now on…

  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~