ISSUE ㉗

Blitz Magazine

 

 

‘I think Daddy-dearest is having a midlife crisis a little too late, don’t you think?’ Jaejoong asked Yunho as they watched their father dye his hair red at the salon Jaejoong recommended the day before during their once-in-a-month family dinner.

 

Yunho simply nodded.

 

‘Maybe you inherited his ‘late bloomer’ genes too, Yunnie!’ Jaejoong nudged Yunho.

 

‘Just what do you mean by that?’ Yunho fumed inwardly.

 

‘You’ve never dyed your hair before and you’ve never been in love before! Maybe that will happen once you experience your mid life crisis!’ Jaejoong beamed.

 

‘And why are so happy about this?’ Yunho questioned with a raised eyebrow.

 

‘Because that means you’ll have a chance to live a fulfilled life before you die! I can’t wait to attend your wedding! Oh, and Sumire will finally have a mommy!’ Jaejoong bounced in his seat.

 

‘You’re thinking too far ahead. You’re the one who will be living this so called ‘fulfilled life’.’ Yunho replied.

 

‘Sons! How do I look?’ Their father spun around on the chair.

 

Yunho nudged Jaejoong to answer since the younger was the style expert.

 

‘A son’s perspective or a fashion expert’s critique?’ Jaejoong asked.

 

‘Both.’

 

‘Jaejoong thinks that it makes you look more youthful, since the white hair’s all gone,’ earning a soft groan from Yunho, ‘But the Fashion Gawd Jaejoong thinks red doesn’t suit you.’

 

‘Then what does?’ Daddy Jung looked downcast.

 

‘I think Russet would look best,’ Jaejoong advised.

 

‘Never doubt the Fashion Gawd,’ Daddy Jung nodded and told the hairdresser to re-dye his hair. 

 

Turning back to Yunho to continue their conversation, Jaejoong sighed, ‘Do you know that Daddy-dearest wants me to go on a ing stupid Couples camp with Kimchi?’

 

‘He has been really into the ‘love’ aspects of our lives recently.’ Yunho stated.

 

Jaejoong nodded, ‘ his midlife crisis.’

 

‘Yeah, it.’

 

Jaejoong immediately whipped his head towards Yunho to gape at him with wide eyes.

 

‘Did you just say !? OH MY GAWDLY SELF! YOU SAID A BAD WORD FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE!’ Jaejoong grabbed Yunho and gave him a bone-crushing hug.

 

‘I really am a late bloomer…’ Yunho thought bitterly, ‘Screw my life, I really don’t want to fall in love…’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘Are you serious!?’ Jaejoong cried.

 

Dead serious. We should totally sign up for this so called Couples Camp thing. It’ll be fun!’ You smiled while paying for your lunch in the cafeteria.

 

‘You’re crazy,’ Jaejoong rolled his eyes.

 

‘Since when were we a sane couple anyway?’ You grinned as you carried your tray full of food towards the back of the place.

 

‘You’re right,’ Jaejoong calmed down, ‘I’ll just text my Daddy that we’re doing this crazy .’

 

You just nodded and tucked into your lunch.

 

‘5 days,’ Yoochun grabbed a seat on your left.

 

Huh?’ You looked confusedly at Yoochun.

 

‘5 days more till you’re officially demoted unless you’re able to find a replacement for Stylist Kim Junsu.’ Yoochun stole your dessert (Tiramisu) from your tray. 

 

‘Hey!’ You snatched the plate back and continued, ‘I know. I have interviewed more than 20 people but they’re all just Jaejoong fangirls.’

 

‘You sure my fangirls are all that useless?’ Jaejoong looked positively disappointed. 

 

Trust me, they won’t last long,’ you patted Jaejoong’s arm and he sadly nodded.

 

‘Then you’ll lose your promotion and that pretty paycheque,’ Yoochun sighed.

 

‘You’ve got that ticket,’ Jaejoong reminded you and you gasped.

 

‘You’re right. But… I thought of saving it for a much worser case scenario.’ You explained, ‘I mean, after that information leak incident, you can never be sure…’

 

Yoochun and Jaejoong’s mood turned sour as well as they both simply nodded and kept quiet.

 

Jaejoong’s phone broke the painful silence and he took the phone call.

 

‘Kim Fabulous Jaejoong speaking.’

 

You rolled your eyes.

 

‘Yeah, Daddy…… I’m not lying……. You’re going to sign up for us both? Don’t trouble yourself, Daddy…… Okay, okay, we’ll do it your way…… Yes, I’ll see you this Sunday for your wardrobe revamp…… No, Daddy, you are already slim enough, no need for diets...... You're fine the way you are right now, trust me...... Okay, take care. Bye, Daddy.’

 

You looked up at Jaejoong with your mouth full of food.

 

‘He asked about the Couple's Camp thing. I told him it’s on,’ Jaejoong said.

 

'Oh.' 

 

‘Couple's Camp? You two never fail to surprise me.’ Yoochun laughed.

 

‘My Daddy’s idea,’ Jaejoong sulked.

 

‘You could always throw a piss fit, can’t you?’ Yoochun challenged Jaejoong.

 

‘Of course, but not when my Daddy’s having a midlife crisis. I don’t want him to jump off a building just because he might think that this fabulous son of his is going against him…’ Jaejoong sighed.   

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘I can’t believe you’re not by any of the camp coordinators,’ you smiled proudly at Jaejoong.

 

‘I’m not a s or person.’

 

‘Should I be offended?’

 

‘It’s entirely up to you.’

 

‘Surprisingly, I’m still in a good mood.’

 

‘That’s because you spotted the buffet being set up for lunch a couple of minutes ago,’ Jaejoong grinned at you.

 

‘True,’ you nodded.

 

The camp coordinators were 4 women ranging from their mid twenties to early thirties and they were all were sun kissed and well toned ladies blessed with heaving bosoms and bottoms.

 

‘This is more of like a ‘See which boyfriend cheats first’ game,’ you concluded, ‘How can this be a Couple's Camp? It’s more like a y trap to break couples up.’

 

‘We’ll survive,’ Jaejoong s his arm around your waist and you rested your head on his left shoulder.

 

‘Couples, gather here! Okay now people, listen up! You see the pile of folded tents over there? Each couple take one and start to set it up together. After you guys are done, put your stuff in there and proceed into the main hall for lunch.’ The Camp Commander spoke though the loudhailer. 

 

The couples shuffled towards the tents.

 

‘I’m so not going to touch that thing,’ Jaejoong sulked.

 

‘At least try!’ You snapped.

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes and took the folded up tent from the bag.

 

Your gorgeous boyfriend shocked you when he singlehandedly set the whole tent up.

 

‘Gawddamn, Jaejoong, you’re a ing pro!’ You jumped in glee.

 

‘I’m perfect, what do you expect?’ Jaejoong rolled his eyes.

 

‘Seriously, how did you do it? It doesn’t look like it was your first time,’ you looked curiously at Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong was silent for a while before answering, ‘I was a boy scout back in my elementary school days.’

 

Your legs gave way and you were rolling on the floor laughing hysterically. 

 

You!? A boy scout!?’ You laughed even harder, clutching your hurting tummy.

 

‘I used to like the sash with tons of badges that came with the uniforms,’ Jaejoong pouted.

 

You finally recovered and stood up, ‘You joined just because you liked the attire?’

 

Jaejoong nodded.

 

‘Such a cutie you are,’ you cooed, pinching Jaejoong's cheeks.

 

‘Watch it! You’ll ruin my flawless complexion with your dirty hands,’ Jaejoong swatted your fingers off his cheeks.

 

You continued laughing all the way to lunch.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

An hour of ice breaker games, 3 rounds of canoeing, countless counselling sessions, 2 consecutive nights of marshmallow roasting and tolerating a very much y Jaejoong who believed that he had been sun burnt beyond recognition later, the both of you finished the 3 days 2 nights Couple's Camp.

 

You guys even got a certificate of completion but Jaejoong used it to wipe the bird off his car’s window. 

 

‘I don’t believe our love’s gotten stronger,’ Jaejoong deadpanned when you both were in the car, ‘We’re already an awesome couple from the start.’

 

You kept quiet as Jaejoong revved up the engines and took off.

 

‘I’m starving,’ Jaejoong broke the silence after 15 minutes.

 

‘Wanna stop somewhere to eat?’ You suggested.

 

‘Call Yunnie for me? Let’s just eat at his house, he cooks dinner at home daily.’

 

‘Wow, I’m impressed,’ you gaped but whipped out your phone from your haversack and searched though your contact list for Yunho’s number.

 

‘Latecomer, what’s up?’ There was screaming heard in the background, which you presumed came from Sumire, about running out of hair conditioner.

 

‘Jaejoong and I would like have dinner at your house.’

 

‘Sure, why not– hold on, please,’ Yunho excused himself but you could still hear him speaking to Sumire, ‘Why don’t you go get it yourself? There’s a convenience store for your convenience down the street!’

 

You laughed.

 

‘I’m back, sorry for the interruption.’ Yunho apologised, ‘What would you like to have?’

 

‘Did you plan anything to cook yet?’

 

‘I’ve made preparations to cook some Japanese food since recently, Sumire’s been having her so called ‘homeland’ cravings.’

 

You laughed again, ‘Okay, sounds yummy already. Oh! You need me to get whatever Sumire’s been screaming about in the background?’

 

‘That would be wonderful. Please hold on once more…… She needs this hair shampoo and conditioner called… Crap, I’ve never been good with names… This brand has weird rabbits printed all over their products.’

 

‘Okay, hair shampoo and conditioner with bunnies all over… anything else?’

 

‘Do get some expensive fruits for Jaejoong, and don’t worry, I’ll compensate you later.’

 

‘Why?’ You asked.

 

‘Sumire wore one of Jaejoong’s cardigans to school and accidentally spilt paint all over it during art class.’

 

‘.’

 

‘Exactly.’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You lugged countless bags of groceries up to Yunho’s apartment, which was unsurprisingly on the 38th floor.

 

‘I can understand why you are so reluctant on having a kid at home,’ you said the second Yunho opened the front door.

 

‘Yeah, accidentally falling off 38 floors would be extremely unsightly,’ Yunho nodded.

 

‘High five! Sadists unite.’

 

Yunho chuckled and gestured for you and Jaejoong to enter his abode.

 

‘You look… burnt.’ Yunho stated.  

 

‘ YOU!’ Jaejoong shoved Yunho to the door and angrily stomped into his brother’s apartment.

 

You laughed, ‘He dropped me off at the supermarket while he sped off to get loads of whitening products at the department store a few streets down.’

 

‘That’s Jaejoong for you.’ Yunho shrugged.

 

‘I spent almost 300 bucks on a ed up box of pink coloured strawberries.’

 

‘Should I write you a cheque now?’ Yunho took the stuff for Sumire and called for her to pick them up.

 

Nah,’ you waved it off, ‘It’s fine.’

 

Sumire ran into the kitchen and beamed when she saw her hair products.

 

‘Thank you so much, Mrs. Kim!’ And Sumire sped off.

 

W-what the !?’ You spluttered embarrassedly. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

COMMENTS PLEASE?