ISSUE ㊲

Blitz Magazine

 

 

‘I’m having a tough time completing this form,’ Sumire waved a pastel green sheet of paper in front of Yunho’s eyes.

 

The Editor-in-Chief irritably swatted the paper away from his face and continued with his typing of a certain highly important document addressed to Blitz’s major shareholders.

 

DADDY!’ Sumire slammed her hands on Yunho’s work desk and he unwillingly looked up at the ten year old.

 

‘What is it?’ Yunho asked.

 

‘I need help.’ Sumire replied.

 

‘Is that math?’ Yunho pointed at the sheet of rather crumpled up paper in her left hand.

 

‘I wish, then you’ll be able to complete it for me within a minute. But this is about planning for the future. My future.’

 

Yunho almost laughed but hid it skillfully by clearing his throat, ‘Planning for the future? Isn’t that too early?’

 

‘I know right!?’ Sumire pouted and pulled out the chair to sit across her Daddy.

 

‘What’s so difficult?’ Yunho questioned.

 

Well… Teacher said that we have to think about our career path so we have a goal in life. With a goal in life, we’ll be driven to do well in our academics.’ Sumire explained.

 

Yunho nodded in agreement, ‘A person without a goal in life will accomplish nothing. I presume you don't have a goal as of yet right?’

 

‘Daddy is so brilliant! Yes, that’s right!’ Sumire beamed.

 

Yunho fought off wanting to roll his eyes, ‘What are your hobbies?’

 

Ooo, this is fun! Let's do a Q&A session!’ Sumire grinned.

 

‘Wait, homework first.’ Yunho reminded Sumire.

 

She leaned forward to grab a pencil from Yunho's stationery holder and scribbled a messy looking ‘Editor-in-Chief’ on the paper under where the question ‘What do you want to become in the future?’ was.

 

Yunho frowned.

 

Then under why she chose that career path, she wrote, ‘I want to look at boring financial statements all day long, drive big cars, hang out with good looking people, terrorize my employees and have a big office at the top floor.’

 

Yunho frowned harder.

 

Did she just make fun of him?

 

‘Happy now? Okay, back to our little Q&A!’ Sumire slid the paper to the side of the desk, ‘If you could turn back time, what would you have done differently?’

 

Yunho thought for a while, ‘Go against my father.’

 

‘Why?’ Sumire pouted.

 

‘Your words just now made me reflect a little about my pathetic and colourless life.’ Yunho answered, ‘You see?’ Yunho slid the paper towards himself, ‘All I get from being Blitz’s Editor-in-Chief is earning big bucks, piling up on my material possessions and keeping law and order within my company. I don't feel accomplished in life at all. If I had rejected this position, then I would actually be using my brains to work and analyse on insanely complex statistics for the government which might in turn improve the quality of life for fellow citizens of this country.’

 

Sumire gaped at Yunho’s words.

 

‘Daddy… are you going to quit your job?’ Sumire asked in a soft whisper.

 

Yunho paused before shaking his head, ‘That would be too selfish of me and I’d be a total let down to my father. Besides, who is capable enough to run things if I resign?’

 

‘You’re right…’ Sumire nodded, ‘Let’s lighten the atmosphere with another question! If Daddy ever marries one day, what would the she be like?’

 

Yunho flinched, ‘What kind of question is that...’

 

‘Come on! Answer! After this question, you can ask me anything too!’ Sumire urged.

 

‘Fine,’ Yunho replied and took a long while before he continued, ‘Maybe… I really don’t know, Kid.’

 

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee?’ Sumire whined.

 

‘The only thing I can think of is… the person has to be… entertaining.’

 

‘Oooooo, why?’ Sumire asked with shiny eyes.

 

‘My life’s already boring enough, so a person with a bubbly personality would be good. Someone who initiates conversations and has a sense of humour…... but then again…... I’d probably ignore that person because I hate noise.’ Yunho shrugged.

 

‘You are destined for single-dom,’ Sumire shook her head disappointedly, ‘Looks like I’ll never have a Mommy.’

 

‘I can hire a nanny for you,’ Yunho suggested.

 

‘I’m an independent girl, thank you very much.’ Sumire declared proudly.

 

‘Whatever you say,’ Yunho continued with his work.

 

‘Hey! Hey! Stop!’ Sumire pulled the laptop towards her and Yunho almost told her off.

 

‘What now?’ Yunho sighed.

 

‘Ask me stuff!’ Sumire smiled and closed the laptop.

 

‘I’m not interested to know anyth-’ Yunho stopped because he found his words to be a tad too tactless, ‘Well… Like what I asked earlier, what are your hobbies?’

 

‘I love singing!’ Sumire beamed.

 

Really?’ Yunho raised a brow at her answer.

 

Sumire nodded vehemently, ‘I love going karaoke with my friends! And I always lip sync by pretending that my iPod’s my microphone while locking myself in the bedroom.’

 

‘Oh.’ Yunho replied, ‘But if you’re going to pursue it…’

 

‘Could I?’ Sumire cut in and beamed at Yunho.

 

Seriously?’ Yunho asked in a worried tone, ‘The entertainment industry’s really-’

 

‘YES! I FOUND WHAT I WANT TO DO!’ Sumire grabbed an eraser from the stationery holder and erased whatever she had previously written.

 

‘I don’t think it’s a good idea, Kid,’ Yunho held onto Sumire’s wrist in an attempt to stop her from writing her newly found ‘goal’ in life.  

 

‘Are you going to be like your Daddy and stop me from doing what I want to pursue?’ Sumire looked up at Yunho, ‘Do you even know that I’m in the school’s choir and that I enjoy the practice sessions very much?’

 

He was stunned by Sumire’s words and slowly let go of her wrist.

 

‘Do whatever you want,’ Yunho muttered softly as he grabbed his laptop, walked out of his home office and locked himself in his bedroom.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Everyone in Blitz was shocked when they learnt that Yunho was taking 5 days off from work, which was something that had never happened before.

 

He drove Sumire to Kimchi’s place so she could babysit her over the next few days.

 

Yunnie?’ Jaejoong ran towards his elder brother and shook his arm worriedly to get his attention as Yunho completed walked past him at the airport.

 

‘Oh, Jaejoong,’ Yunho seemed to have woken up from his stupor and surprisingly hugged the younger in the middle of JFK airport.

 

‘You’re scaring me, Yunnie,’ Jaejoong said when the elder broke the hug.

 

‘Let’s go, we’ll talk on the way to your place,’ Yunho replied monotonously.

 

Jaejoong nodded weakly and led the way to the carpark.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘You know me best,’ Yunho sighed as Jaejoong placed a piping hot bowl of Dukbokki in front of the elder.

 

‘Your comfort food- it had always been,’ Jaejoong smiled as he pulled out a seat beside Yunho, ‘And be honoured, I only cook for you.’

 

‘Thank you,’ Yunho smiled before taking in his first scoop of Jaejoong’s cooking, ‘It’s a miracle that you’re still able to maintain this standard despite not cooking on a regular basis.’

 

‘First time in 4 years,’ Jaejoong stated rather proudly and Yunho chuckled. 

 

Then silence fell between them as Yunho ate.

 

‘How’s… work?’ Jaejoong bubbled.

 

The sound of metal dropping onto the table echoed throughout the kitchen.

 

‘Yu-Yunnie?’ Jaejoong asked hesitantly.

 

‘Don’t talk about that. Not now.’ Yunho answered rather irritably.

 

Okay,’ Jaejoong patted Yunho’s back reassuringly, ‘Just know that I’m always here for you, Yunnie.’

 

Yunho nodded slowly.

 

‘Take your time,’ Jaejoong smiled warmly at Yunho, ‘I’ll be in the livingroom if you need me.’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘You sound like as if you’re dying and you want last minute freedom,’ Jaejoong pouted as he came into the kitchen with a large box of delivered pizza.

 

‘Sorry for being such a bore with all my ranting. That aside, there’s only us 2 right?’ Yunho looked at the pizza presented before his eyes.

 

‘I can always bring the leftovers next door, Changmin’s my dumpster neighbour.’ Jaejoong grinned.

 

Yunho shrugged and grabbed a slice, ‘I’m sorry for suddenly being so pessimistic about life, but seriously, you’ve got to agree that my life's pretty much monotonous and boring.’

 

‘True that,’ Jaejoong nodded, ‘You need to learn about the beauty of off days.’

 

‘I’ve already taken 5 days off work,’ Yunho bit onto his pizza.

 

‘And try new things,’ Jaejoong tore a tiny bit of pizza and popped it into his mouth.

 

Yunho gaped when Jaejoong decided to have a slice of pizza and was now nonchalantly chewing on it.

 

‘What in the world-’

 

‘Kimchi told me eat stuff other than fruits and veggies and besides, I’m following my own advice so I won’t look like a hypocrite.’ Jaejoong then closed his eyes and moaned, ‘kkkkkkk, this is good.’

 

Yunho laughed as he watched Jaejoong study the pizza in his hand like as if it was the most fascinating thing on earth.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘You’re supposed to be working hard alongside Mr. Shim,’ Yunho deadpanned.

 

‘This is a special case, I’m helping you find small doses of happiness in your almost nonexistent social life,’ Jaejoong grinned.

 

Excuses,’ Yunho couldn’t help but smile anyway.

 

‘Come on, let’s go to Coney Island!’ Jaejoong tugged on Yunho’s arm.

 

‘Why? You don’t like crazy fast rides right?’ Yunho asked the younger.

 

‘Today’s concept is ‘Step outside of your comfort zone’. It’s only fair that we both do stuff against our will.’ Jaejoong smiled as revved up his Lamborghini’s engines and drove off following the automotive navigation system installed in his car.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘We’ll ride only the craziest stuff,’ Jaejoong declared.

 

‘Why?’ Yunho asked the younger, ‘Oh wait… the concept.’

 

Jaejoong nodded and pulled Yunho to queue up for the famously scary ride called the Cyclone.

 

‘Jaejoong? You’re shaking like crap,’ Yunho frowned.

 

‘I didn’t bring my hair products to style my hair back to fabulousness,’ Jaejoong gave a weak smile.

 

‘Should have known,’ Yunho chuckled.

 

A shockingly fast ride later, the brothers were now in the toilet, not puking, but Yunho was deeply entertained by Jaejoong, who was throwing a fit about having completely forgotten about bringing along his hair products needed to restore his hair back to perfection.

 

‘You’re good to go,’ Yunho forcefully dragged the younger out of the toilet after spending the past 20 minutes trying to ‘fix’ his hair, ‘What’s next on the agenda?’

 

‘LET'S EAT HOT DOG!’ Jaejoong started to jump like a kiddo high on sugar and checked his phone for directions before grabbing onto Yunho’s left hand and leading the way.

 

Earning a few curious glances from the others on the way to get lunch, Yunho muttered, ‘We look… suspicious.’

 

‘Who the cares, we’ll totally letting loose today!’ Jaejoong grinned and pointed to the food stand, ‘Tell them to get us their best sellers.’

 

Yunho reappeared with an armful of extremely fattening deep fried food and giant cups of sugary lemonade.

 

‘Are you su-’ Yunho stopped talking when Jaejoong began stuffing chilli cheese fries into his mouth.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Oh Gawd, I feel like a pregnant woman,’ Jaejoong was sitting on the floor of the toilet as he grabbed onto the sides of the toilet bowl like as if it was his lifeline.

 

‘You really pushed yourself today,’ Yunho gave a weak laugh.

 

Jaejoong was about to speak when felt another wave of nausea within him and his head was back into the bowl as he puked his guts out.

 

‘Your tummy’s not used to so much… food at one go.’ Yunho patted Jaejoong’s back and handed him a wet towel to wipe his mouth.

 

Jaejoong mouthed a thank you to the elder and slumped against the wall.

 

‘Thanks for today, I actually enjoyed myself immensely,’ Yunho smiled.

 

‘Me too, although I’m suffering right now…’ Jaejoong muttered.

 

‘I should relax more often…’ Yunho concluded.

 

Jaejoong nodded, ‘You’re too serious about everything, just chill from time to time, it’s good for your soul.’

 

Yunho sighed, ‘I’ll try.’

 

Erm… how’s Kimchi?’ Jaejoong looked at Yunho expectantly.

 

‘Your expression right now was just…’ Yunho shook his head humouredly as he couldn’t find the right words, ‘She’s struggling but she’s still alive. Don’t worry, I will always have her and the department’s back.’

 

‘Thanks, Yunnie.’ Jaejoong managed a smile.

 

‘I’ll just run to the pharmacy to get you some medicine for your stomach,’ Yunho got up from sitting at the edge of the bathtub.

 

‘You do just that… , it’s coming a-a-again,’ Jaejoong rolled his eyes as puked onto the floor.

 

‘I’ll get the mop first,’ Yunho hurried off.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~