ISSUE ㉜

Blitz Magazine

 

 

Oh Gawd, is that a s-strand of w-white hair!?’ You shrieked and carefully pulled it out.

 

‘It is,’ Jaejoong smirked at the atrocious thing between your fingers and walked off while putting on his blazer.

 

‘You ! It’s your fault!’ You snapped, shoving Jaejoong from behind.

 

‘Quit pushing,’ Jaejoong stated irritably and opened the apartment’s front door, ‘And why is it my fault?’

 

‘Aren’t you supposed to be ing good at time management!? Why do you have to push all your ty Fashion Supervisor responsibilities to me!?’

 

‘To prepare you.’

 

‘Prepare me for what!?’ You snapped as you both entered the lift to bring you down to the basement carpark.

 

‘You must always be prepared.’ Jaejoong replied.

 

‘You’re not answering me.’

 

‘I am.’

 

‘Forget it.’ You rolled your eyes.

 

‘You fed Jiji cooked fish, didn’t you?’ Jaejoong questioned.

 

‘What’s with the sudden change of topic?’

 

‘The last topic was closed by you when you didn’t want to discuss it further. Now, answer mine. Did you or did you not feed Jiji cooked fish?’

 

‘I didn’t feed Jiji all week.’

 

Wow. That’s a worser answer than what I was expecting.’ Jaejoong drawled. 

 

‘Why? What happened to it?’ You asked.

 

‘I sent him to the vet last night, the doc said he had food poisoning.’

 

‘What has it got to do with cooked fish? Isn’t raw stuff the bigger cause of food poisoning than cooked food?’ You replied.

 

‘It’s the opposite when it comes to Jiji.’

 

‘Poor cat.’

 

‘It’s definitely not me, so had to be you… but you said you didn’t feed it at all, so…’ Jaejoong sighed.

 

‘Jiji might have eaten something lying around at home?’ You tried.

 

‘Maybe… Oh, ! I can’t be bothered to play Sherlock Holmes right now! I need to get my mind into work-mode. Get into the Gawddamned car.’ Jaejoong got in and slammed the door shut violently.

 

You winced at the loud sound but got in anyway.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

ErrHi.’ You greeted the newcomer seated at Junsu’s old desk.

 

‘Hello, I guess… I’m the new Number 3?’ She smoothed down her skirt once she stood up and bowed.

 

‘Yeah, and hello, I’m Number 4.’

 

‘You’re the Senior Fashion Assistant here right?’ She smiled at you.

 

You nodded, ‘Yes, I am.’

 

‘I’m a really competitive person so I would like to tell you first hand that I would do anything to climb up the career ladder around here.’

 

Was that a threat?

 

Err… okay.’ You turned quickly on your heel and sat back down behind your desk with a racing heart.

 

Your phone buzzed, signaling that you had just received a text.

 

You unlocked it and read the message.

 

 

 

From: Jaejoong

Ooo.

Someone has claws…

 

 

 

You smirked.

 

 

 

From: Kimchi

You eavesdropper…

And yeah, she does.

 

 

 

From: Jaejoong

Watch your back.

I won’t be around to clean up after your fat .

 

 

 

From: Kimchi

I don’t know whether to tell you off for being so mysterious recently or about you calling my fat.

 

 

 

From: Jaejoong

I have an incoming call, so I’ll be ignoring you… starting now.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘Spill it or no dinner for you,’ you said anyway even though you were now dicing up carrots and celery for Jaejoong. 

 

‘Spill what?’ Jaejoong looked innocently at you.

 

‘Don’t act dumb with me,’ you slid the bowl of vegetables across the table to him.

 

‘We’ll talk over dinner, so sit.’ Jaejoong gave you a quick look before he channeled all his attention to the veggies before him.

 

You sat across him with a giant bowl of spaghetti.

 

‘Now speak,’ you muttered before stuffing your mouth with food.

 

‘I’m sure you’re aware that Blitz has been constantly expanding right?’

 

‘You mean like the current Milan and Shanghai branches overseas?’ You reconfirmed.

 

Jaejoong nodded.

 

‘I don’t like where this conversation is going…’ you gulped in apprehension.

 

‘Same here.’ Jaejoong sighed, ‘Anyway, Yunho’s thinking of targeting America. We’re not doing something like Blitz Europa or Blitz Oriental… we’re thinking of creating a spin-off magazine from Blitz, featuring music, street wear and subcultures. It’s not as big a market as compared to actually producing our mainstream Blitz magazine… but we had always been open to experimentations.’

 

You kept quiet while taking this in.

 

‘Because our Senior Editor, Changmin, is proficient in both written and spoken English, he’s going to be sent over to become the Editor in Chief there.’

 

Your eyes went wide, ‘Wow.’

 

‘I know.’ Jaejoong sighed again, ‘And… I’ll be sent over too.’

 

Your heart fell. 

 

‘You promoted me so you could show me the ropes on how to manage the Wardrobe!?’ You stood up abruptly, ‘So you knew about this long ago!? And you’re only telling me this now!?’

 

‘Calm down,’ Jaejoong got up from his seat to walk towards you but you gestured for him not to come closer.

 

‘You’re actually going? Can’t you say no?’ You bit hard on your lower lip to let the pain distract you from crying.

 

‘If I decline, I’m not doing justice to the company. But if I agree, I’m not doing you justice either. So tell me what I’m supposed to do?’ Jaejoong ran his fingers though his hair before messing it up in frustration.

 

You fell back onto your seat and rolled your eyes, ‘, this is… too sudden.’

 

‘I know, Kimchi,’ Jaejoong bent over and hugged you from the back.

 

You leaned back against the chair and a couple of second later, you felt the first tear roll down your right cheek.

 

‘H-how long will you be g-gone?’ You sobbed.

 

‘We’ll need to do extensive field research and hire the right people for the new branch office... Probably a year or two.’

 

.’

 

‘Exactly.’

 

‘Can’t I come along?’ You tried.

 

Jaejoong broke the hug and sat on the table in front of you, ‘You’re the only one I can trust with the Wardrobe, no one else.’

 

‘J-Jaejoong,’ you wailed and hid your pathetic looking face in the palms of your hands.

 

Gawd, your eyeliner isn’t waterproof,’ Jaejoong chuckled before hopping off the table to pry your hands off your face while he used his thumbs to wipe the tears and smudged make up away.

 

‘S-shut up,’ you smacked Jaejoong’s hands away from your face, ‘When are you getting lost anyway?’

 

‘What’s with the sudden want to chase me off?’ Jaejoong pouted at you and you cried even harder.

 

‘I’ll miss your pout the most!’ You threw yourself into Jaejoong’s arms and you heard him give out a hearty laugh.

 

Silly girl,’ Jaejoong patted your head, ‘If you want to know so badly… I’ll be leaving in a month’s time.’

 

‘That’s too soon…’ you groaned.

 

‘I know, Kimchi.’

 

‘Wait, then who’s going to take your place as department head?’ You asked.

 

‘Junsu and you will assist in that.’

 

‘WHAT THE !?’ You jumped out of Jaejoong’s embrace, ‘ARE YOU ING SERIOUS!? JUNSU AS WELL!?’

 

‘Dead serious. You think I put him in boot camp just to make him a stylist?’

 

‘You’re scary, Jaejoong.’

 

‘No, just call it planning ahead.’ Jaejoong replied. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~