Chapter 05: Her reasons

When fate plays: Getting back with my ex-fiancee

 

The past: December 28, 2008

 

Li An, the girl Yi fan will be marrying is messing her hair frustratingly inside her room. She was annoyed, irritated and angry at the same time thinking of the event that occurred yesterday.

 

*How could he??* She thought.

 

Yesterday she had met her future husband. Even though she’s only 17, she knows well enough the situation she’s in. When she first laid eyes on him, she can’t deny the fact that Yi Fan was pretty good looking. He even made her heart skipped a beat and she cursed herself for even doing that. The boy definitely showed him his fangs when the adults left.

 

*That hateful guy.* She thought and strangled her innocent pillow while thinking of the events that happened yesterday.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“So… let’s get to the point shall we?” He smirked at her.

 

The girl can’t help but feel intimidated of the boy’s presence. She kept shut and just let the boy continue.

 

“I don’t plan on marrying you.” The boy said straight to the point.

 

*How blunt.* She thought.

 

“I have a dream I want to achieve and you’re just a hindrance.” He told the girl sitting uncomfortably across from him.

“It would really be great if you’re on the same boat as me. Who in their right mind want to marry at such a young age anyway?” He said.

“May I ask what your dream is?” She finally decided to speak up.

“I believe we’re not that close for me to tell it to you.” He said.

 

*Ouch.* She pouted lightly.

 

“And even if I say it, I don’t think you’d understand it anyways. You’re still a kid.” He said making the girl’s eyebrow twitch.

 

What Li An can’t stand the most is how people treat her as a kid. She maybe young but she knows enough. She’s not like some teens that don’t care much about anyone but themselves. She grew up to be independent.

 

*Who is he to tell me that? He’s only one year older than me.* She thought.

 

“Does your grandpa know about that dream of yours?” She asked him.

“Yes, and they don’t approve of it. That’s why don’t marry me.” He said and crossed his arms.

 

The girl just looked at him thinking if not marrying him would really be a good choice. She was weighing out her options.

 

*If I don’t marry him papa will be disappointed.* She thought.

*We’re already poor as it is. Papa is also getting old. I always hear him complain about his back. He seems to look much older than his age due to stress. When he heard of me marrying into the Wu’s he was really glad. That’s the first time I saw papa that happy. I don’t want him to be sad. He did more than enough for me. This time I want to help him.* She thought.

 

*This won’t do.* Sensing Li An’s hesitance, Yi fan decided to do something.

 

“Don’t tell me you’ve fallen for me already?” He said with a smirk on his face.

“E-Excuse me?”

“You heard it right. I know I’m unbelievably handsome but don’t you think that’s a little too fast?” he continued making the girl just gape on him.

“I guess that’s the reason why you don’t want to back out. Kids these days… not thinking clearly, always ogling on looks.” He said making Li An tighten her fist.

“That’s not true.” She said.

“Then don’t marry me.”

“But I-“

“See?” He cut her off and scoffed.

“You just met me today and you still want to marry me? You don’t even know if I’m a good or a bad person kid.” He said and Miho’s eyes twitch hearing the word ‘kid’ again.

“I don’t care about your looks.” She said gritting her teeth.

“Ohhh… If you don’t care about my looks then what money?” He asked.

 

It made Li An silent. He’s right. She’s only marrying him for money, money to provide their family’s needs and debts. Even though her intentions are good nobody can deny that marrying for the sake of money is a low and cheap thing to do.

 

*But he’s making me feel like I’m lower than the lowest of beings!* She thought.

 

“Tsk I knew it. Kids these days are getting smarter and smarter. They’re also getting cheaper and cheaper at the same time. Why study hard when you can instantly be rich like that?” He made a motion of snapping his fingers.

“So low and unbelievably so cheap-SPLASH” Yi fan was cut off by a splash of water thrown at his face.

“Don’t worry. I won’t marry a bastard like you.” She said and walked away leaving a dumbfounded guy behind.

 

End of flashback

 

“Now what will I do?? How can I tell it to papa??” She said and buried her head on her pillows.

 

“Li An! The food is ready!” Her father called downstairs.

“I’m coming papa.” She said and dragged her feet down.

 

Her eyes went wide at the sight of food resting on their shabby table. There were of different varieties and it definitely looked expensive. Mr. Lau looked at his daughter’s expression and chuckled.

 

“Close your mouth Li-li, a fly might get in.” He said and sat down.

“W-Where does all of this came from?” She said unable to pry her eyes away from the foods.

“It looks quite tempting right? Come on take a seat.” Her father tugged her arm and made her sit beside him.

“The Wu’s gave it.” He said. Speaking of the Wu’s, Li An decided it’s time to tell him her decision of not marrying Yi Fan.

 

“Dad, about the marriage…” She started.

“What about it?” His dad asked while shoving the foods into his mouth.

“I-“She was cut off by the sight of her dad choking. She immediately went to his side and patted his back gently.

“You should eat slowly dad.” She told him when he calmed down.

“I’m sorry Li-Li, it’s just that I’ve never eaten anything like this all my life. I’m afraid if I won’t eat it now it’ll go bad and it’ll be a waste.” His dad lightly chuckled but Li An can’t help but feel sad.

“Oh before I forgot. You will go out with Yi fan son-in-law tomorrow.” He said and continued to eat, slowly this time.

“But dad I-“

“I hope everything will work out just fine between the two of you. I’m really happy you’ll be entering their household Li-li.” He said and affectionately smiled and held her hand.

 

Li An can’t help but feel guilty for wanting to take away his father’s smile. He hasn’t smiled like this for so long. She definitely wanted to see it every day.

 

*If marrying that Wu guy would make my father happy then I’ll do it. I’ll do anything for him.* She thought and sat down.

 

She began to eat but then choked when she remembered something.

 

“Li-li are you alright?” Her father asked.

“I’m okay papa.” She said but slowly ate this time.

 

*How can I face him again after what I did yesterday??* She thought and put down her chopsticks. She has already lost her appetite.

 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````